Julio Jones and the 2019 Bills

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

This is a pretty misguided post. Atlanta has a down year because the defense literally lost half their secondary and their best linebacker plus a few other injuries. Quinn at minimum has one more season for sure if not more. They have a lot of talent and their going to add a bluechip pass rusher this draft. If anything Atlanta is just stocking up. I'd love Julio but trading one of your best players who helps make that offense go is just not happening. 

Julio wants a new contract.

Falcons have resisted.

They have more problems than just injuries.......there are chemistry issues there and they might just might want to do a little re-arranging of their roster.........they are among the teams with the least cap room,  Grady Jarrett is a UFA.

It's by no means a given or even likely.......... but there has been smoke around Julio being traded since last offseason.

julio with a cap hit of $13 mil for each of the next 2 seasons.

if i'm atlanta…...julio isn't going anywhere....

I own his rights for 2 more seasons and then I can tag him for 2 more

that's team control for 4 years......julio threatens to sit out ??....go right ahead

15 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He is THIRTY YEARS OLD. You just don’t invest in 30 year old receivers. If he was 25, I’d do it all day.

That's a solid point, but I think you MUST find a way to get Allen a top target. They don't grow on trees.

If Allen is the future, you're going to have to overpay to surround him with top tier talent. 

We need to be exploring every possible avenue, even if the guy is 30.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

By the 4th year? Who cares about the 4th year if you win the Super Bowl and Julio is a big contributor within the first 3 years?

You think anyone is going care or really regret that big 4th year in his contract? ?

I’m not even sure you get THREE good years. Maybe two then slide?  Shady is slipping already, IMO.  I was being generous. And yes, I like having short, intermediate and long term vision. If you think we’ll win a SB in the next 3 years, I love your optimism. It seems so unlike you. I’m not sure giving up a 1st plus is warranted with a WR on the wrong side of 30. We are NOT one player away. If he were 25, sign me up and pay a little more. I know a 1st rounder is a gamble, but I like our recent picks. Don’t waste that capital unless you are sure. 

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's a solid point, but I think you MUST find a way to get Allen a top target. They don't grow on trees.

If Allen is the future, you're going to have to overpay to surround him with top tier talent. 

We need to be exploring every possible avenue, even if the guy is 30.

Why? 

I love Julio but this is just nonsense. He's old. We need to stay as young and cheap as possible until we get close and then we can do stuff like that. If we are going to blow $$$ on 30 year old guys make them big and fat guys that can stand in place without be pushed away.

Edited by dayman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m not even sure you get THREE good years. Maybe two then slide?  Shady is slipping already, IMO.  I was being generous. And yes, I like having short, intermediate and long term vision. If you think we’ll win a SB in the next 3 years, I love your optimism. It seems so unlike you. I’m not sure giving up a 1st plus is warranted with a WR on the wrong side of 30. We are NOT one player away. If he were 25, sign me up and pay a little more. I know a 1st rounder is a gamble, but I like our recent picks. Don’t waste that capital unless you are sure. 

Why? 

Because it's Buffalo. If you want to acquire a top tier WR via FA'cy, you gotta take what you can get. A)We're not a particularly attractive FA destination. B) Number 1 receivers are rarely available. Ideally they draft their own in the first round and he's an immediate baller. Gotta explore everything.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Because it's Buffalo. If you want to acquire a top tier WR via FA'cy, you gotta take what you can get. A)We're not a particularly attractive FA destination. B) Number 1 receivers are rarely available. Ideally they draft their own in the first round and he's an immediate baller. Gotta explore everything.

I agree we explore everything. Top tier WR’s become available for a reason. They are either a headache, or they are getting old and their current team knows that moving on and getting something in return before they continue to decline is wise. 

6 minutes ago, dayman said:

I love Julio but this is just nonsense. He's old. We need to stay as young and cheap as possible until we get close and then we can do stuff like that. If we are going to blow $$$ on 30 year old guys make them big and fat guys that can stand in place without be pushed away.

STAY young?

The Bills are one of the oldest teams in the league(tied for 6th oldest).

The proper way to manage a roster is to keep a good balance of young and veteran players.

This isn't the era of the early 90's where the Cowboys stacked young players for 3-4 years and then rode them for most of the decade.

Case in point.......Seahawks win the SB with youngest team in the entire NFL........2 years later they had already begun re-tooling.

If you have a QB windows will open and close and open again

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree we explore everything. Top tier WR’s become available for a reason. They are either a headache, or they are getting old and their current team knows that moving on and getting something in return before they continue to decline is wise. 

Which leaves hitting on your draft pick as the number 1 route to acquiring a WR. However, I can assure you the Cowboys don't regret trading for Cooper.

Sometimes you have to take a shot.

23 hours ago, Augie said:

We’re building a young (and cheap) team to move forward. I don’t see an expensive flashy move for a guy who will be trending downward by the time we are seriously competing year after year. 

If you have a good QB on his rookie contract you MUST spend big money on other positions in hopes of winning a Super Bowl.  

The ONLY other way to win one is to have a HOF quarterback. 

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

If you have a good QB on his rookie contract you MUST spend big money on other positions in hopes of winning a Super Bowl.  

The ONLY other way to win one is to have a HOF quarterback. 

I don’t disagree, but the question is do you overpay for Julio who’s on the wrong side of 30 for a WR. How many picks do you give up for that? I worry about the cap less than the cost in picks for a guy the Falcons just (partly) replaced with Ridley. Is there a smarter, cheaper way to fill that #1 WR slot? I’m not sure. If the Falcons get a first +, I’m jealous of how smart they were. The got Julios replacement for free, and saved a boatload on the cap. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t disagree, but the question is do you overpay for Julio who’s on the wrong side of 30 for a WR. How many picks do you give up for that? I worry about the cap less than the cost in picks for a guy the Falcons just (partly) replaced with Ridley. Is there a smarter, cheaper way to fill that #1 WR slot? I’m not sure. If the Falcons get a first +, I’m jealous of how smart they were. The got Julios replacement for free, and saved a boatload on the cap. 

Ridley replace Julio Jones?

Say WHAT??

I wouldn't hold my breath on the first Ridley 1500-1600 yard receiving season............there is a BIG drop from elite WR to mid level #1 WR..........for example..........Golden Tate is a middle of the league #1 WR and he averages a little over 1,000 per year typically.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

STAY young?

The Bills are one of the oldest teams in the league(tied for 6th oldest).

The proper way to manage a roster is to keep a good balance of young and veteran players.

This isn't the era of the early 90's where the Cowboys stacked young players for 3-4 years and then rode them for most of the decade.

Case in point.......Seahawks win the SB with youngest team in the entire NFL........2 years later they had already begun re-tooling.

If you have a QB windows will open and close and open again

That's a quality point you make there.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ridley replace Julio Jones?

Say WHAT??

I wouldn't hold my breath on the first Ridley 1500-1600 yard receiving season............there is a BIG drop from elite WR to mid level #1 WR..........for example..........Golden Tate is a middle of the league #1 WR and he averages a little over 1,000 per year typically.

In two of his first three years, Julio didn’t get 1,000 yards. If they didn't think Ridley was the replacement, why would they let Julio leave?  Ridley has fewer catches and yards (NO IDEA on targets), but he has 8 TD’s to Julio’s 3. 

Like it or not, Ridley WAS drafted to replace Julio. I don’t care whether you like that or not, it’s what they did. I live in Atlanta, this is common knowledge. 

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

That's a quality point you make there.

It’s true, the Bills are trying to GET young. I don’t know if big contracts to 30 year old WR’s helps that. Keep drafting well. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Shady's a RB with a ***** ton more mileage and wear and tear than Julio. 

I never said we were one player away. A receiver like Julio is exactly what Allen and the offense need next to a few offensive lineman. 

You think it will take the Bills 4 years to get into Super bowl contention? In today's NFL? You can go from a loser to a super bowl contender in less than two years. 

I agree Julio is just what Josh needs (who doesn’t benefit from a super star WR), I just question the cost in terms of draft picks. Since we don’t know what that would be, it’s pointless to drag this out. Beat the dead horse if you will, let’s see what happens. 

23 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Nope...won’t happen.  I can’t see them breaking the bank for a 30 year WR.

I think Julio will have a few more productive years, and when on the field he is a talent, but I have to agree with you Phil - there seem to be no lack of GMs willing to overspend on used goods and the Bills FO will not get into a bidding war for Jones. That, and when I think of Jones (and all the times I had him on my FF team) he always seems to be injured, playing with an injury, or coming off an injury - turf-toe, calf, ankle....and that isn't going to get better with age.

• Thank you (+1) 1