Revisiting the draft

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think we hit a grand slam with Josh and a solid double with Trumaine..cause man Leland Vander Esch is friggin lights out..so we did really good but man no 55 in Dallas has all-pro written all over him 

I really wanted Esch, kid was a freak. Edmunds is too but i will give him a triple.

The last 2 drafts under McDermott's watch have been pretty decent one with Beane and one with Whaley. I certainly have no issue with their ability to recognise young talent.

The '17 draft wasn't as good but '18 is looking good into the latter rounds.

Edited by downunderbill
  • Like (+1) 1

Hi.  I watched one Cowboys game where the announcers, one of which is a former Cowboy himself, were gushing over some rookie LB.  Now I'm convinced he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and a sure fire Hall of Famer.  That is all.

Edited by Mark80
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think we hit a grand slam with Josh and a solid double with Trumaine..cause man Leland Vander Esch is friggin lights out..so we did really good but man no 55 in Dallas has all-pro written all over him 

I think they will both be all pro. I was a huge LVE fan before the draft. He does have some injury concerns, so Edmunds may be the better pick in the long run.

57 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Edmunds is like 20 or 21.  Patience doesn't exist does it.  

I’m really excited to see his development next year, especially since it seems we finally have a staff capable of developing players. Edmunds is not as good as LVE right now, but he is playing great and I think he has a chance to be better than him in the future. They are both great players, would not be surprised if they reach the Ray Lewis/Urlacher category.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

VanderEsche is 22 years old...Edmunds is only 20 still.  Wait til you see what Edmunds has become at 22.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Lamar Jackson is 2-0.

LVE just single handedly beat the Saints.  

We didn’t have to trade up 

?

And we could have drafted Tom Brady at least 5 times and Gronk and Watt and OBJ and Antonio Brown multiple time and on and on and on.  20/20 in hindsight and all.

Edited by Mark80

4 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

And we could have drafted Tom Brady at least 5 times and Gronk and Watt and OBJ and Antonio Brown multiple time and on and on and on.  20/20 in hindsight and all.

Sorry I should’ve “inserted sarcasm”.  I love our draft

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Lamar Jackson is 2-0.

LVE just single handedly beat the Saints.  

We didn’t have to trade up 

?

Every draft has imperfections, some by bad decisions (Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo both of which all of us at TSW called ahead of time), some just by players outperforming what could have reasonably be expected from them on draft day. I'm pleased with the Allen and Edmund picks and excited to watch them develop into stars over the next few years.  There is no draft where there aren't things to change with hindsight, and even without dipping onto Brady (who the PATRIOTS passed on six times!).

Getting good players as often as you can, accepting a bust when it happens, and getting lucky once in a while is what you hope for.  These both seem like good players.  Tough to look back at passing on Mahomes right now, but the draft is an inexact science, I think somewhat because it can never be that accurate, but also because it is an informational inefficiency that teams do not execute very well and a smarter team can do better (but never perfect).

I'm hoping we select a star player at #17 next June because wins are more valuable than draft slots unless you are trying to get your franchise QB.

This is not directed at the OP but in general

There are ALWAYS going to be players that turn out good from the draft that did not get taken by our team......

Do we sit and lament at not getting those players if the bills actually did draft for the position and got a good player?

I look at Allen and Edmunds......to me these both look like good picks....are there other players drafted at their position that are playing better then them right now?   Yes......but the draft is not just about the rookie year...you take those players because they are going to be with your team for what...the next 5 years?   They are also drafted for their ability to get  BETTER...and both of them definately fall into this category.

Stop crying over other teams shiny toys.....the bills are accumulating shiny toys of their own.

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yep...needed another post on this.

If you look at how their draft classes are contributing so far, by that metric, they've drafted very well.

1. (7) Josh Allen - starting, shows flashes of awesome mixed with flashes of "good lord, what in the...?" but I personally think the kid has it. Eager to see him play with a more solidified OL and some better offensive weapons.

1. (16) Tremaine Edmunds - instant starter and "QB of the defense" by age 20. Still has room to grow as a player and definitely should given McDermott's track record in coaching up LBs. And I saw a post that commented something like "Would you rather have Player X or Brian Urlacher?" Thought it was interesting because Urlacher was the pro comparison a lot of scouts put on Edmunds.

3. (96) Harrison Phillips - Contributing in the DL rotation, has flashed at times, learning from an all-time Bills great. Has the intelligence and tenacity to be a factor.

4. (121) Taron Johnson - Small school gem, kid sticks to receivers like glue and although he's a bit undersized, hits like a truck.

5. (154) Siran Neal - Contributing on special teams, has taken the most special teams snaps alongside another player whose name escapes me at the moment. 

5. (166) Wyatt Teller - Now starting at left guard.

6. (187) Ray-Ray McCloud - Has been upstaged by Isaiah McKenzie as of late but if they have to bow out on a sixth-round pick, I don't think anyone is gonna lose any sleep over it.

7. (255) Austin Proehl - A comp pick that was one selection away from being Mr. Irrelevant. 7th round picks get cut all the time.

Undrafted - Robert Foster - Made the team to start the season but then stumbled out of the gate and lost his job. Got it back and has been their best receiver over the last two games.

Undrafted - Levi Wallace - Playing well enough to supplant Phillip Gaines (former 3rd round pick who they sent packing) and is part of a secondary that has allowed the least passing yards for the entire season and allows the lowest amount of yards per game (193.7).

1. (27) Tre'Davious White - Instant starter and has turned into a top CB in the league.

2. (37) Zay Jones - Clearly works his tail off, hopefully the results will soon show. Rookie year he played on a run-first team and had to adapt to playing with four different QBs this season. Hopefully he turns the corner next year.

2. (63) Dion Dawkins - Played well enough in place of Glenn to take over the starting job as a rookie. Still developing but is the best player on the OL and an emerging leader.

5. (163) Matt Milano - Complete steal. Kid makes plays all over the field, always seems to be around the ball. 

5. (171) Nathan Peterman - The unluckiest QB I've ever seen play. They whiffed on this one and held out their belief in him a bit too long but finally owned up to their miss and cut him. I'm sure he's a nice dude and all but he just doesn't have it. And this was the guy that scouts everywhere were calling "The most pro-ready QB of 2017" so it's not like the Bills were the only ones to miss on him.

6. (195) Tanner Vallejo - Drafted for depth and special teams, injuries got in his way, maybe he gets a better shot in Cleveland. Again, late-round picks often get cut.

So, out of 16 total players (14 draft picks, 2 undrafted signings) EIGHT of them are starters (Allen, Edmunds, Johnson, Teller, White, Jones, Dawkins, Milano) and four of them are either getting substantial playing time as part of a rotation or on special teams. Of 16 total players they've drafted/signed, 12... TWELVE of them are already contributing. Two of them are having Pro Bowl-caliber seasons this year (White and Milano) and several more of them have the chance to be Pro Bowlers as well. Some (Edmunds, White) may even make All-Pro in their careers.

I'd say this front office is off to a pretty good start. It's never been about 2018, this year has always been about being the sacrificial season, if you will, as they work towards sustained success, something this team hasn't had since the 90s. And it's because of impatience that they've spun their wheels time and again during that 17-year drought. Impatience and the belief that they were always just a piece or two away from competing and being contenders. Never having the guts to take a hard look at things and truly engage a full-on rebuild. 

I think they have the right guys in place to build a very good team. Just takes time. But they're on the right track.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Couldn't you have just revisited this thread a few down from this one?

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Hi.  I watched one Cowboys game where the announcers, one of which is a former Cowboy himself, were gushing over some rookie LB.  Now I'm convinced he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and a sure fire Hall of Famer.  That is all.

Best post of the week!  Hahaha spot on

8 hours ago, billspro said:

I think they will both be all pro. I was a huge LVE fan before the draft. He does have some injury concerns, so Edmunds may be the better pick in the long run.

I’m really excited to see his development next year, especially since it seems we finally have a staff capable of developing players. Edmunds is not as good as LVE right now, but he is playing great and I think he has a chance to be better than him in the future. They are both great players, would not be surprised if they reach the Ray Lewis/Urlacher category.

Throw in Roquan Smith and that's one of the MLB classes we've seen.