Happy 50th Heidi Game

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I remember watching it too, finally figured out what was going on, tuned it in on radio, by then Raiders had scored the two TD's

I turned on the radio the second they switched the game off, but that's because I lived in the NYC area & could tune in the Jets radio station.  Where was it on radio outside of NYC & Oakland?  I know WABC traveled pretty far, and I could get it in in Buffalo at night as well as many parts of the east coast, did you also tune in to WABC?  

38 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I turned on the radio the second they switched the game off, but that's because I lived in the NYC area & could tune in the Jets radio station.  Where was it on radio outside of NYC & Oakland?  I know WABC traveled pretty far, and I could get it in in Buffalo at night as well as many parts of the east coast, did you also tune in to WABC?  

I tried the same method, WABC at night!! 

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I believe this is why the networks make that "game will be shown in its entirety" announcement, when a game runs late.

Unfortunately we get stuck with college hoops games that get extended into the first 7 minutes of the better nightcap game (the Duke at Chapel Hill game) because a team insists on fouling and calling every time out down 25 in the last 90 seconds

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Eventually there won't be many people who know what this reference even means. Getting older means talking about things that most have no clue as to what they are.

Made a David Letterman reference the other day and no high school kids had any idea who he was

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Made a David Letterman reference the other day and no high school kids had any idea who he was

Yeah, I have gotten that before with my sailors that worked for me. I was watching college football coverage earlier and they were talking about something being Abbott and Costello like and thought most wouldn't get it.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yeah, I have gotten that before with my sailors that worked for me. I was watching college football coverage earlier and they were talking about something being Abbott and Costello like and thought most wouldn't get it.

Dave isn’t something from the 1950s

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I get it, but the percentages drop significantly as you go back decades... so if Letterman isn't  a name with those kids, it goes to show most older references are lost on them.

I know, I’m in my early fifties and have given up on any analogical or referential comments with people younger than me

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I know, I’m in my early fifties and have given up on any analogical or referential comments with people younger than me

Well, I'm almost 50 so I get it. It just doesn't make any sense in my mind that the 70s was 50 years ago... tough to fathom. Just crazy.

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Well, I'm almost 50 so I get it. It just doesn't make any sense in my mind that the 70s was 50 years ago... tough to fathom. Just crazy.

I try not to think about it, if I have spare time I will get depressed on it.

good thing my 50s are better health wise and in most areas than my previous three decades

Almost 50, it’s the 50th for 1968 and the White Album

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Buffalo in the 1960's regarding AM radio and sports was in a pretty good location especially at night; for Baseball you could get the Chicago teams, St. Louis, Yankees, and Mets, and the Indians locally. The Pirates from KDKA and the Phillies from WICU. Basketball both New York teams and the Celtics from WBZ, same with hockey! I would stay pretty late listening to sports back then!

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I remember this clearly, and it’s the ONLY reason to remember Heidi. 

The Jets last week played like her crippled cousin. 

...they were prayin' for Heidi............Bowles had her on speed dial as his salvation......she hung up...........

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Eventually there won't be many people who know what this reference even means. Getting older means talking about things that most have no clue as to what they are.

Absolutely right!  Many who watched that didn't even have Color TV's yet.  I'm just happy that I saw it, and, REMEMBER it!

There was only a brief shot of the Raider's fans but certainly no resemblance to what we see now!  People used to "dress up"  to go to an NFL game.

4 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I believe this is why the networks make that "game will be shown in its entirety" announcement, when a game runs late.

Not all the time.  Was just watching a game they cut to after the local market, Bears, finished early.  I forget which game.  That game ran over.  The cut it.  I think it was the Tyrod Taylor blowing the OT game in week #1??? I forgot now.

By the way... I was pissed not catching Tyrod crap the bed!!!!!

First time I saw a color TV show was the Bills - Charges AFL championship game in 1965.My uncle  just gotten a color TV and invited a lot of people over gor it.  Another uncle (his brother-in law)kept putting down the Bills  and my uncle almost killed him.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not all the time.  Was just watching a game they cut to after the local market, Bears, finished early.  I forget which game.  That game ran over.  The cut it.  I think it was the Tyrod Taylor blowing the OT game in week #1??? I forgot now.

The NFL will cut off a dog of a game to go to a better one on the same network, happened earlier this year on a 1:00 game in the second quarter, not a Bills game

football is different though

hoopa and baseball won’t do it

It was the Miami/Pats game cut before halftime as it was over already

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The NFL will cut off a dog of a game to go to a better one on the same network, happened earlier this year on a 1:00 game in the second quarter, not a Bills game

football is different though

hoopa and baseball won’t do it

Bad wording on my part.  Bears game finished.  Went to Browns game.  That went over, but they cut it.  Missed OT I think.  I was pissed!  Why tease me?  On the hour, message came on, not obligated to show rest... They cut to other programming.

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I also lived in NYC, but took my father and I a little time to figure out what was going on and turn on the radio and listen to the end of the Jet's broadcast.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bad wording on my part.  Bears game finished.  Went to Browns game.  That went over, but they cut it.  Missed OT I think.  I was pissed!  Why tease me?  On the hour, message came on, not obligated to show rest... They cut to other programming.

No problem

Cutting the game end to go to a local game start is common for football, one year Mich/Mich St went to OT and they cut it for the Cuse/Noles opening kickoff on Buffalo Chanel 7.... oh well....

the NFL cuts a game to go to the local kickoff all the time, they call it bonus coverage of the early games so you know they are going bye bye possibly

also why games were moved to 4:25 in case of the 1pm game going too long

Edited by row_33

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Weird no one calls out posts like this, but people have this thing about how Peterman tried his darndest. And we should all wish him the best and some other *****.

Don't mean to accuse you of the hypocrisy, just when I point out people hating on tyrod, I get... "we don't do that". I'm all for rooting against former Bills. Not a fan of the pity party some of these people want to throw.

And heaven forbid you criticize the Peterman.

36 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Weird no one calls out posts like this, but people have this thing about how Peterman tried his darndest. And we should all wish him the best and some other *****.

Don't mean to accuse you of the hypocrisy, just when I point out people hating on tyrod, I get... "we don't do that". I'm all for rooting against former Bills. Not a fan of the pity party some of these people want to throw.

And heaven forbid you criticize the Peterman.

Tyrod blew more close games when we were in it.  Just like he did for this Browns game.

Peterman all around couldn't even get out of the gate.  Why hate on him?

9 hours ago, Wacka said:

First time I saw a color TV show was the Bills - Charges AFL championship game in 1965.My uncle  just gotten a color TV and invited a lot of people over gor it.  Another uncle (his brother-in law)kept putting down the Bills  and my uncle almost killed him.

Our first color TV was in 1967 and the first show I’ve ever seen in color was Jeopardy. It was awesome.

Everything was in technocolor. The first team I watched on color tv was the San Diego Chargers with their diamond shaped end zones.

Being a huge football fan,  I certainly remember the Heidi game vividly. I was a young man and I was pissed off they switched to some girly show. Sat there thinking they would switch back. The NFL never did that again.

The Jets and Raiders were fun teams to watch. They both had really good offenses and the Raiders threw the ball deep often.

Edited by dlonce

31 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Tyrod blew more close games when we were in it.  Just like he did for this Browns game.

Peterman all around couldn't even get out of the gate.  Why hate on him?

I feel like you answered your own question.

It's odd that you hate on tyrod because he seemed capable. But Peterman was so bad, no one dare say a bad thing about him.

You're probably in the same crowd that ***** about "participation trophies" and don't see the hypocrisy. It's a joke.

Go jump through flaming table. That's less embarrassing than your last post.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I feel like you answered your own question.

It's odd that you hate on tyrod because he seemed capable. But Peterman was so bad, no one dare say a bad thing about him.

You're probably in the same crowd that ***** about "participation trophies" and don't see the hypocrisy. It's a joke.

Go jump through flaming table. That's less embarrassing than your last post.

No.  I like participation trophies.  I am liberal.  Tyrod screwed the Bills more being lazy.

Who do you go harder on the guy that you know can get As and produces Cs as a grade OR the guy that gives his best and gets Cs.

Tyrod is the student that should have got As and was underachieving.  Of course I don't want to see him do well with another team.  Same with Peterman.  But Peterman gave all he had... I feel bad for hard workers.  I feel don't feel bad for lazy underachieving ones that screw the team more.