Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Fallen

3rdnlng

4 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

That is true, but not healthy for the republic. Elected officials should have a set retirement age and term limits. Case in point, John McCain. Some of these people are masking serious health problems that may or may not be affecting their ability to effectively function.

I will throw it out there, 80 yrs old should be it for ANY elected official.

The problem with that, and the point of lifetime tenure in the Constitution, was to prevent arbitrary laws to eliminate legislatures from modifying the laws to get rid of judges that aren't agreeing with them.

Say Congress makes retirement age 80 for the Supreme Court. Well, they don't like the next crop of judges, so maybe they change it to 60 to get rid of troublesome judges.

43 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The problem with that, and the point of lifetime tenure in the Constitution, was to prevent arbitrary laws to eliminate legislatures from modifying the laws to get rid of judges that aren't agreeing with them.

Say Congress makes retirement age 80 for the Supreme Court. Well, they don't like the next crop of judges, so maybe they change it to 60 to get rid of troublesome judges.

Will no one rid me of this turbulent Jurist?

800px-Thomas_Becket_Murder.JPG

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

There is no mention of specific lifetime tenure in the constitution. They just did not specify a specic time period of how long they can serve. So, naturally, everyone assumes they serve for life. 

12 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I understand that. However, RBG voting from her hospital bed? Strom Thurmond at 100 with his aids on the Senate floor voting? Louise Slaughter was 88 when she died in office after having gerrymandered her district to ensure she'd never lose (when it went from the 30th to the 28th (this was a real treat - just enough of NF,  and Rochester to make certain the Rs on  the lake has no real representation) to the 25th after population loss).  

There are tons of examples going back 150 years, but it (longer, older tenures) has been much more common since the 20th century when people's life expectancy increased exponentially. What nature took care of in the 18th and 19th centuries, is no longer a "solution" today.  If age restrictions can be imposed due to age (military enlistments,  pilots,  etc) in some fields (more so with union restrictions), why can't Congress impose such restrictions on itself (and Federal judgeships)? 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

why can't Congress impose such restrictions on itself (and Federal judgeships)? 

The Constitution.

The Constitution decrees that federal judges are judges for as long as they behave themselves, whether it's 5 minutes or 500 years (hell, Judge Curtin - the guy who admitted me into federal court - was a LBJ appointee). Hamilton lays out the reasoning pretty well in Federalist 78. Similarly, Congress cannot regulate qualifications for being in Congress for the same reason they had no power to take it upon themselves to limit the presidency to two terms.

The only way to have Congressional term limits and/or Judicial age limits is to amend the Constitution.

42 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The Constitution.

The Constitution decrees that federal judges are judges for as long as they behave themselves, whether it's 5 minutes or 500 years (hell, Judge Curtin - the guy who admitted me into federal court - was a LBJ appointee). Hamilton lays out the reasoning pretty well in Federalist 78. Similarly, Congress cannot regulate qualifications for being in Congress for the same reason they had no power to take it upon themselves to limit the presidency to two terms.

The only way to have Congressional term limits and/or Judicial age limits is to amend the Constitution.

That is interesting. I did not know the consititution spoke to no age limits. I was always under the assumption (clearly wrong) that nothing was spelled out, so the assumption was there was no age limit (i.e. Lack of a specific age or term limit mentioned meant that no age or term limit, was implied). Well, since they got an amendment for presidential term limits through 65 years ago, then I guess term limits for congress, and age limits for both congress and federal "lifetime" judicial appointments are in order as well. (Like that will happen)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

On 12/21/2018 at 1:07 PM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, we've seen a sharp mental decline in DJT starting when he wanted to be involved with politics, but that might just be him.

Not sure that's the case.  The spotlight is on him now, but merely showcases the personality and mannerisms he touted most of his life.  A clear indication of the extent to which we Deplorables were fed up with business-as-usual in DC promoted by the election and reelection of the same old hacks.  Unfortunately, no one in power seems to be working to fix anything in DC.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:02 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I understand that. However, RBG voting from her hospital bed? Strom Thurmond at 100 with his aids on the Senate floor voting? Louise Slaughter was 88 when she died in office after having gerrymandered her district to ensure she'd never lose (when it went from the 30th to the 28th (this was a real treat - just enough of NF,  and Rochester to make certain the Rs on  the lake has no real representation) to the 25th after population loss).  

There are tons of examples going back 150 years, but it (longer, older tenures) has been much more common since the 20th century when people's life expectancy increased exponentially. What nature took care of in the 18th and 19th centuries, is no longer a "solution" today.  If age restrictions can be imposed due to age (military enlistments,  pilots,  etc) in some fields (more so with union restrictions), why can't Congress impose such restrictions on itself (and Federal judgeships)? 

The primary reasons for life expectancy being far longer than it used to be are the decrease in death at childbirth and the better treatments of childhood diseases and accidents. 

I see. So medical and surgical advances in treating heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and cancer haven’t been a factor. I guess virtually eliminating TB, dyptheria, cholera, yellow fever, sepsis had a negligible effect too. 

Good to know. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

JUST IN: Ruth Bader Ginsburg will miss oral arguments for the first time in her 25 years on the Supreme Court as she recovers from cancer surgery.

Really...not retiring at this point is an abrogation of her responsibility as a Justice in preference for party loyalty.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, TH3 said:

Come on...even you can connect the dots of your hypocrisy between your post and mine....

I truly can't, because you're referencing a completely different situation while crediting me with an opinion I never held.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Will she also be giving her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation? :unsure:

I don't understand why they are arguing over "oral". I thought that was settled when our first black president declared it "not sex".