We could have kept Fitzpatrick all these years...

yrly

We’ve done no better at the QB position. I kind of wonder what he’d have been like behind a good line with a few good receivers. He doesn’t look bad in Tampa with no real running game and a pretty bad line.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, yrly said:

We’ve done no better at the QB position. I kind of wonder what he’d have been like behind a good line with a few good receivers. He doesn’t look bad in Tampa with no real running game and a pretty bad line.

There is a certain truth to this concept.  But no one sees Tampa Bay as a championship threat with Fitz at the helm. 

4 minutes ago, yrly said:

Seriously?  Come on man!

7 minutes ago, yrly said:

What you forget is fitz has guys to throw to that will catch the ball.  

Keep in mind I’m not discounting Allen at the moment.

I’m talking about all these interims. By this point in his career I’d have expected Fitz to be mentoring Allen but prepared to fill in in the case of injury like we have now.

With a few good receivers he’s putting up 3-4tds behind a pretty lousy line. Nothing would ever have prevented the Bills from getting some receivers and building a line.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The guys on WGR are the worst.  Allen was a top ten pick in most mock drafts and some had him going #1.  I don't know if he is going to be good or not, but the revisionist history going on is beyond ridiculous.

53 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

lol that's funny.

People are calling our rookie QB a bust after 5 starts, and you think these short attention-spanners were gonna give Fitz the better part of a decade?

Yeah, no.

absolutely right. there were plenty of people lining up with torches and pitchforks towards the end of fitz's bills career. the negative nicknames, the contract, the mediocrity, the lack of arm strength, the wedding ring, harvard...there were plenty of fans and media that were ready to riot. and then there was buddy nix and him basically saying that they needed to move on at all costs. his time was at an end here. but i will always love me some Fitz!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, yrly said:

Keep in mind I’m not discounting Allen at the moment.

I’m talking about all these interims. By this point in his career I’d have expected Fitz to be mentoring Allen but prepared to fill in in the case of injury like we have now.

With a few good receivers he’s putting up 3-4tds behind a pretty lousy line. Nothing would ever have prevented the Bills from getting some receivers and building a line.

Yeah but fitz isnt much better than Peterman at this point.... Fitz just makes more tackles after throwing interceptions so he doesnt have as many pick 6's as peterman.

Fitz is Fitz. He has heart. He likes to air it out. He can be exciting and fun to watch. But at the end of the day, he never wins when it counts. I don’t think he’s ever been to the playoffs. And you are forgetting the spirit crushing interceptions. 

Sure, he’s better than the dumpster fire we have right now. But he isn’t the answer, and he proved that when he was in Buffalo. 

I liked Fitz and I liked Tyrod. Neither of them was the answer. Those of you that thought, “it can’t be worse” at the time are learning a hard lesson now. 

Franchise QB > Good QB > decent QB > functioning QB > Bills QB

Fitz and Tyrod fit in that decent category. Allen may be good but the quality of QB play in Buffalo this year ranks with the worst in league history.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I liked Fitz and I liked Tyrod. Neither of them was the answer. Those of you that thought, “it can’t be worse” at the time are learning a hard lesson now. 

Franchise QB > Good QB > decent QB > functioning QB > Bills QB

Fitz and Tyrod fit in that decent category. Allen may be good but the quality of QB play in Buffalo this year ranks with the worst in league history.

Amen and we would have saved resources on Fitz until we could land a good QB.  Face it everyone, we can tdraft QB's in Buffalo.

Fitz would have saved us Orton, Manuel, Tuel, Brohm, Hobert, Kolb, Taylor, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

Fitz may not be the answer, neither was Tyrod but with Allen hurt either is arguably better than what we are watching now. If Fitz plays 2/3 of the next two seasons or continues to throw 4tds a game he’s going to be very close to Jim Kelly’s numbers by the time he hangs them up. 

I think the the point is it’s hard to put much worse on the field at this point. Hopefully Allen is healed up soon because if we’re gonna lose he’s wasting practice time.

1 minute ago, yrly said:

Fitz may not be the answer, neither was Tyrod but with Allen hurt either is arguably better than what we are watching now. If Fitz plays 2/3 of the next two seasons or continues to throw 4tds a game he’s going to be very close to Jim Kelly’s numbers by the time he hangs them up. 

I think the the point is it’s hard to put much worse on the field at this point. Hopefully Allen is healed up soon because if we’re gonna lose he’s wasting practice time.

I don’t think it is “arguably.” I think it is “definitely.” 

Now it it may not be best for the long-term but the people that always believe that the grass is greener are learning a hard lesson this year. 

1 minute ago, PittsforDave said:

Didn’t we sign Fitz to a huge contract only for him to play like *****?  Why would we want him?

He was terrible. 

The problem for the Bills is motivation. The players don’t respect the team therefore mails it in. 

We had lousy receiving corps back then. You’d have had to get receivers to work with and we’d have saved a lot of draft busts, probably a lot of money. Instead we are left with this mess. Fitz is proven as moderately serviceable with a good receiving corps even behind a marginal line. However  he’s had several 400 yard games this year and we’ve had what a bunch of ints from peterman?

3 minutes ago, yrly said:

We had lousy receiving corps back then. You’d have had to get receivers to work with and we’d have saved a lot of draft busts, probably a lot of money. Instead we are left with this mess. Fitz is proven as moderately serviceable with a good receiving corps even behind a marginal line. However  he’s had several 400 yard games this year and we’ve had what a bunch of ints from peterman?

How were are receivers the year before?  When he played better before we threw him a ton of cash only for him to lay down. 

Fitz quit on the team, it wasn’t about talent of the WRs. 

Edited by PittsforDave

2 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

How were are receivers the year before?  When he played better before we threw him a ton of cash only for him to lay down. 

I forget who we had back then, was it Lee Evans? Anyway I looked it up at one point and he missed half of Fotz’s last season here due to injury 

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Fitz may throw INTs, but he actually throws TDs too.......

Career stats 186 TDS 141 INTs 28541 yard in 138 games and he only started 123 of them. I really wouldn’t consider that that bad.

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

7-9 misery for life

Exactly. Story of the Drought, redux. Never quite as bad as say, the Browns, but never breaking into the upper crust of perennial playoff contenders either--Fitzy = a run of great 4-5 games that have you wondering what Sully could ever find negative to write about, only to wind up looking like the fish out of water Harvard athlete that he is, gasping for air just short of the playoff finish line. At least the Bills swung for the fences with JA.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, yrly said:

Someone in the media once wrote an article characterizing Fitzpatrick as a QB "multiple teams have moved on from, then failed to do enough to replace".

Some truth to that.  Leaving aside his drafting team (long shot late round where Bulger was the man) and Cinncinnati (backup to Palmer), we have

Buffalo

2012 Fitzpatrick

2013 Manuel, Tuel, and Lewis

Tennessee

2013 Locker, Fitzpatrick

2014 Locker, Whitehurst, Mettenburger

Houston

2014 Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Mallet

2015 Hoyer, Mallet, Yates, Weedon

NY Jets

2016 Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty

2017 Josh McCown, Bryce Petty

The only place where one can make the argument letting Fitz go was the right move would be NYJ, where Fitz had a miserable completion percentage and TD/INT ratio and McCown played quite decently the following year.

12 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

The team released him

If you mean his play the previous season, I dunno - I think Fitz would be a field day for a sports psychologist, fear of success or something.  I don't think he intentionally played poorly or quit, any more than he did for the 2016 Jets after a great 2015 season, or in TB Games 4, 8, and 9 vs 1,2, and 3.  Au contraire arguably his problem is pushing too hard to make things happen combined with film of his tendencies in a specific offense that let the DBs pick him.

15 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The guys on WGR are the worst.  Allen was a top ten pick in most mock drafts and some had him going #1.  I don't know if he is going to be good or not, but the revisionist history going on is beyond ridiculous.

I've written that a few times here too. Feels often like speaking to a wall so thanks