Songs About Drugs

Chef Jim

The original.  And not the only JJ Cale song Clapton stole.  Heck he stole JJ's whole sound.  Skynyrd lifted Call Me the Breeze too.  That is a killer cover with Billy Powell playing my favorite piano solo

7 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I always thought it was about drugs, but according to Wikipedia it’s written for Fogarty’s three year old son.  

Today I learned something.

John was probably the only noted SoCal musician of that era who was drug averse. 

I will also accept that John Lodge of the Moody Blues avoided that lifestyle choice, unlike almost every one of his contemporaries from the UK

23 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I used to watch that alot when I was a kid.  When I was a teenager my Mom had made a comment that she played it alot because she liked the song.

Well she used to like the song, until I explained to her the song was a euphemism about marijuana.

According to the authors, the words are exactly what they say they are with no attachment to drugs.   It is simply a song about loss of innocence.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

According to the authors, the words are exactly what they say they are with no attachment to drugs.   It is simply a song about loss of innocence.

Why not

Lewis Carroll has no access to drugs that showed up 50 years after he died

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Why not

Lewis Carroll has no access to drugs that showed up 50 years after he died

I'm not sure I follow you, but it seems you are saying it doesn't matter what the original theme was, if it could be interpreted about drugs later, then it is about drugs.  Yes? No?

24 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I'm not sure I follow you, but it seems you are saying it doesn't matter what the original theme was, if it could be interpreted about drugs later, then it is about drugs.  Yes? No?

Alice in Wonderland is the best hindsight drug story but he wasn’t a drug user

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Alice in Wonderland is the best hindsight drug story but he wasn’t a drug user

I have no dog in this fight, but you know this how?

You could go with the odds, but to be so sure? 

Such a firm declarative assertion.... 

Beatles gave their first drug-tingled single with Help! opening up the doors was a phrase that had to be about acid by early 1965, and nobody had a clue about that or that he was probably very very serious in his statement here

ticket to ride was released earlier in 1965, the first drone-filled song by them, not the first drone to hit the very competitive UK charts though 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have no dog in this fight, but you know this how?

You could go with the odds, but to be so sure? 

Such a firm declarative assertion.... 

Well, his biography is well established, he was very up there in the Anglican church

acid wasn’t invented for many later years, he wasn’t a laudanum or opiate user

he had a bit of weirdness but he wasn’t on drug trips to come up with Alice

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Beatles gave their first drug-tingled single with Help! opening up the doors was a phrase that had to be about acid by early 1965, and nobody had a clue about that or that he was probably very very serious in his statement here

ticket to ride was released earlier in 1965, the first drone-filled song by them, not the first drone to hit the very competitive UK charts though 

Well, his biography is well established, he was very up there in the Anglican church

acid wasn’t invented for many later years, he wasn’t a laudanum or opiate user

he had a bit of weirdness but he wasn’t on drug trips to come up with Alice

Hallucinogens have been around forever. Peyote and mushrooms and who knows what else? I’m not an expert, and  NOT saying he was, but there’s no way to know or exclude. 

It may be an educated guess, at best. 

But I wouldn’t doubt your assumptions. 

If not already mentioned, Frank Zappa and Mike Love were two others completely anti-drug.

Mike directly confronted and then had Van ***** Parks rubbed out as a collaborator with Brian after completing this masterpiece, the ending words being too much acid-induced fatouousness to him:

Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield
Over and over the thresher and hovers the wheatfield

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

If not already mentioned, Frank Zappa and Mike Love were two others completely anti-drug.

Mike directly confronted and then had Van ***** Parks rubbed out as a collaborator with Brian after completing this masterpiece, the ending words being too much acid-induced fatouousness to him:

Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield
Over and over the thresher and hovers the wheatfield

There is an exception to every rule.  Zappa and The Beach Boys are the rarest exception of great music not made while indulging drugs

21 hours ago, Pete said:

There is an exception to every rule.  Zappa and The Beach Boys are the rarest exception of great music not made while indulging drugs

Maybe Zappa and Love weren't but no way can that speak for the bands overall. I mean, Volman and Kaylan weren't exactly "take them home to meet mom" kinds of guys for instance. Even if we're just talking weed I'll bet most of them indulged to some degree.

• Like (+1) 1