Here is why I'm not panicking...

Hebert19

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

2.  We have 80 million + in cap space next year.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

6.  Draft or sign OL, WR, TE, CB and RB and we have 80M and 10 picks to do it.  

Looks to me like the rams from last year if Allen makes the jump next year. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1. We will need to strike gold on some of those picks.

2. I’ve been saying this for a while now but I don’t think that cap space will get us very far. I think we’ll be more disappointed with how we use it than anything.

3. Experience should help. Hopefully he actually is our franchise guy.

4. Agreed

5. Meh, too early to judge. 

6. See 1 and 2.

I'm not panicking. I'm just laughing at the high school coaches they have running this team. I don't have faith in them at all, but I'm not panicking.

Why would I panic? I've watched them do this my whole life lol.

I hope he drafts someone and talks about how he wants leaders of men or something stupid. What is the next dumb cliche he can come up with?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Been thinking of starting a similar thread lately.  They are going to have a very good defense next season.  They are going to have a ton of money and draft capital to invest in the offense.  If Josh Allen works out, they'll be good as soon as next year.  If he doesn't, they won't be good and they can use their top pick in 2020 on a QB, who will step into a very favorable situation.  The long term outlook is fine.  

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 6

44 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Why do people think since we have all that cap space it will turn this team around?  

Because the inverse of that (also known as this year) is a definite handicap, so the issue is one of flexibility to go out and get quality additions—of course no guarantees but definitely preferable to the straight jacket we’re in now. Flash enough cash and even the most warm weather loving FA’s will land here 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

Point #3 sounds good as you type it, but I wouldn't describe it in the manner.

Rather, I'd suggest we drafted a project who has never shown signs of being successful in the NFL and he hasn't changed from the profile to date.  No reason to expect him to, either.  

I.E., we have no QB and are highly likely to have no QB next year as well.

That renders all the other points moot.  

It's not about panic, it's about this team maybe, some day, getting good again.

• Like (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not panicking. I'm just laughing at the high school coaches they have running this team. I don't have faith in them at all, but I'm not panicking.

Why would I panic? I've watched them do this my whole life lol.

I hope he drafts someone and talks about how he wants leaders of men or something stupid. What is the next dumb cliche he can come up with?

Wow, that's pretty impressive that a high school coach made the playoffs last year. Maybe that means there's even hope for you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Here’s why I’m not panicking: 

It’s fricken football!

Just. Fricken. Football. 

If there’s a list of things not to panic about, especially because you have zero control over outcomes, football has got to be at or near the top. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

2-3 OL, 2-3 WR, vet QB, LB, TE and RB- that's potentially 10 players they ideally need to acquire. Would it be a success to hit on 5 or 6 of them? How many years til they make an impact. I'm not terribly optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

Our defense is a mix of young and ancient. Kyle and Lorenzo will fully deserve to retire whenever they want. Jerry will be on the last year of his deal and is crossing 30. Star has been impactful in some games eating space, whereas others his $10M/year contract looks like an abomination.  On the other hand, Edmunds/Milano, Tre/Taron, and Hyde/Poyer will be here for a while and I don't have any doubts in our staff to compensate for future losses. 

But the issue that worries me most is how we will use the cap space - especially if FA's spurn us (even with overpaying). We've already said the OL/WR market looks shallow, and that's early into the offseason before some of them inevitably get extensions. 

The most worrisome factor is looking at which other teams have lots of cap space; according to Sportrac:

1. Colts

2. Jets

3. Bills

4. Texans

5. Browns

If I were a FA player that wants to cash in, did not know how kickass Buffalo really is, and wants to stay away from cold weather, I'm going to go play for Andrew Luck or Deshaun Watson. Otherwise, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are so much farther ahead than Josh is it's depressing. 

It's no secret the Colts/Browns need WRs aside from TY/Landry, respectively. It's no secret the Texans will do everything in their power to fix their OL (though it should have been done this past offseason). Hopefully, one of these guys throws absurd money towards LeVeon Bell so we don't have to get into a bidding war for mid-tier FAs that are on our radar.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts
  • Like (+1) 2