Here is why I'm not panicking...

Hebert19

Considering how the defense is playing, this team doesn't need to be a complete dumpster fire right now if they didn't act like the QB was just some cog in the 22 man machine or whatever and actually gave it the attention that it deserves. I'm not talking about the Allen pick, I like that in a sense, but everything behind him has been so awful that I wouldn't doubt if it screws up his development. You don't draft a QB like Josh Allen without a legit backup plan, rather than a complete f**ing absence of a backup plan which is what this team did. This definitely has me concerned.

The defense is solid and they seem to draft well, but their QB management and evaluation has been a mess so far, and isn't that all that really matters right now?

Edited by Nelius

On 10/25/2018 at 9:09 AM, Maybe Someday said:

I totally agree with you, I also believe the primary plan is to build through the draft and resign our own guys.  I also expect that Beane will use some of those lower round picks as ammo to move up in the earlier rounds. 

I never expected this season to be good so I'm not panicking either.  A few of the things I need to see going forward in order to be optimistic going into the offseason are improvement from Allen (especially in pocket presence), improvement from Edmunds, more consistency on defense and reduction of the stupid penalties. 

I just hope he isn't going to take the Green Bay approach. For years Green Bay just drafted players and never really signed free agents. You need to have a good balance between the two if you really want to build a competitive roster. 

Well they have 7 starters out of the 14 picks from 2017/18 drafts  That is almost a third of the starting 22  Lets say they hit 3 starters in 2019  Beane will have turned over half the starting lineup in 3 years not counting free agency.   There is progress being made, we just have to swallow the lemon 2018 is.  Good young core coming together on defense.  Get some improvement on OL, a 2nd corner and some new weapons for Allen

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:47 PM, Dr.Sack said:

Didn’t Marv Levy say WW2 was a must win?

Ironically perhaps the greatest thing to happen to the Buffalo Bills in the last 18 years was Trump not buying the Bills. Our gain was the rest of the countries loss.  

What’s wrong with making the Bils great again? 

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

Well they have 7 starters out of the 14 picks from 2017/18 drafts  That is almost a third of the starting 22  Lets say they hit 3 starters in 2019  Beane will have turned over half the starting lineup in 3 years not counting free agency.   There is progress being made, we just have to swallow the lemon 2018 is.  Good young core coming together on defense.  Get some improvement on OL, a 2nd corner and some new weapons for Allen

The OP and this reply give me hope for TSW. I think in general, that this board has a very distorted view of the state of the franchise. My view matches the OPs and this reply. I have a very calm outlook because I truly believe that the pieces are coming together just like they did in the mid 80s. This is being done right. I feel the expectations for this 2018 team from many fans seem to have been simply unrealistic from the get go. This team is trying to build itself into a perennial playoff team. This is the bumpy road part. I believe in the direction of this team and the key young players they have drafted, including Josh Allen.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:18 PM, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

2.  We have 80 million + in cap space next year.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

6.  Draft or sign OL, WR, TE, CB and RB and we have 80M and 10 picks to do it.  

Looks to me like the rams from last year if Allen makes the jump next year. 

Why would anyone be panicking?  This year was meant to happen and was planned to happen.  Maybe not in this exact way but Beane, McDermott and the Pegulas were aware this was coming.  People who are freaking out are simply delusional to think this team would be good with no semblance of anything on offense other than McCoy and a rookie/journeyman QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 11:58 PM, klos63 said:

2-3 OL, 2-3 WR, vet QB, LB, TE and RB- that's potentially 10 players they ideally need to acquire. Would it be a success to hit on 5 or 6 of them? How many years til they make an impact. I'm not terribly optimistic.

CB, DT? DE? Definitely a CB, though. Depth at TE would be nice.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Why would anyone be panicking?  This year was meant to happen and was planned to happen.  Maybe not in this exact way but Beane, McDermott and the Pegulas were aware this was coming.  People who are freaking out are simply delusional to think this team would be good with no semblance of anything on offense other than McCoy and a rookie/journeyman QB.

They just can't come right out and say it because it will hurt ticket sales.