Media trying to get McDermott fired.

50 minutes ago, zow2 said:

How does anyone really know what the Pegulas "signed off on"?!   They may have been Ok with the idea of eating the dead cap this year,.  But coming off the playoffs they are not ok with being the laughingstocks of the NFL and getting blown out by halftime of several games.   

You can tell by the outlook that McBeane have taken since they got here.  They would not have started an obvious 4-5 year rebuild process if they had any inclination that they would be on the hot seat after year 2, especially after making the playoffs in year 1.  They would have come in and approached the situation very differently, and chances are McDermott discussed this plan in depth with Pegula before he agreed to his contract.

38 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This team has proven to be able to hit on later draft picks.  Matt Milano (5th) and Taron Johnson (4th) are good examples.

True. They do pick well overall. But I don’t think this is a big advantage over other teams. And let’s see how their most important pick Allen pans out. They also picked teller Neal and peterman. Not really franchise altering. 

26 minutes ago, ngbills said:

So the decline is Rex fault. But for McD it is planned? And Rex ruined he defense equals being the 15-16th best in the league. Meanwhile McD defense is 16-18th best at that is called elite. 

I feel there is an overall plan with this group, yes. Addressing the salary cap and adding the draft picks looks like a long term plan. Getting the “Franchise QB of the future” was part of the plan.  I never felt that way about Rex. He just tried to win games...and insisted on doing it his way. (In case you’re missing the point - I never liked Rex from day one, and only Gruden could I dislike more.) 

I expected this year to be difficult, but not in my wildest dreams would the offense be this horrible. Rex took a top 4 defense, and and screwed it up. McD planned to take a step back with the offense by addressing the QB situation and moving some pieces. Again, I won’t even TRY to defend the offense, because that would just be silly. I’m astonished at just how terrible they are....

Only time will tell if it works. I don’t pretend to know, and those that do are kidding themselves. It’s not so important to me I’m going to fuss and holler, just pray for the best and enjoy it as much as I can. 

Just now, nedboy7 said:

True. They do pick well overall. But I don’t think this is a big advantage over other teams. And let’s see how their most important pick Allen pans out. They also picked teller Neal and peterman. Not really franchise altering. 

Allen sure is the biggest piece in this puzzle.  Teller, IMO, has shown enough to be a good depth player if needed...potential starting potential in the future.  Siran Neal has played in all 7 games this year in a good secondary.  Not bad for a 5th rounder.  Nate Peterman?  Well, you can’t hit on them all.  Overall, I think Beane/McD have done a very nice job with the draft.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

McDermott is going nowhere.

So many things wrong here...

First off, this whole (from the offense) thing, I've seen this many times now from people defending McDermott. He does not get any kind of pass for anything the offense does. It's HIS offense! He's the head coach. If his responsibility was only going to be defense, he should be a defensive coordinator somewhere. The coordinators are an extension of the head coach. It's McDermott's offense that's putrid and can't even run simple NFL concepts. And even if he's really not involved in the offense, being the head coach gives him the responsibility of choosing the right offensive coordinator...and he's 0-2 already. 

And we're not even close to being in a position where we're one offseason away from finishing "most" of the rebuild. This team has a million deficiencies and holes. These guys had an entire offseason and half of this whole season to figure out even a half-decent plan for the most important position in sports, and a way to protect their biggest investment thus far. And they've gone beyond failing miserably. It's a really bad harbinger of what could come. 

The only supporting argument I keep hearing for McDermott is that we're in a rebuild. Being in a rebuild should not guarantee anyone any kind of time. There are still ways to evaluate coaches and GM's besides the record to ensure that the right people are in place to continue the rebuild and bring the team to a championship level. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

They don't realize that Bean and McDermott and the Pegulas all expected this to happen.  They expected 2017 and 2018 to be bad seasons.  Being a playoff team in 2017 was great, but it gave EVERYONE unrealistic expectations for 2018.  2017 and 2018 were always about tearing it down, while adding some key pieces or young players growing (Hyde, Poyer, Allen, Edmunds, Dawkins, Jones) and 2019 was about building it back up.  That has always been the plan.  McDermott hasn't been preaching about the "PROCESS" for nothing.

Nonsense.  I’m fairly confident that fielding the worst offense in the modern history of the NFL was not part of the plan.  

Wake up!  It no longer takes three years to “rebuild” an NFL team.  Any coach/GM who said it does would never have been hired.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He's not getting fired anytime soon.  And the constant stuff about this is laughable.

People said the same thing about Rex in year 2.  If this team plays the rest of the year like it did in Indy, McD may very well be fired.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

People said the same thing about Rex in year 2.  If this team plays the rest of the year like it did in Indy, McD may very well be fired.

Over their last 15 games, Buffalo has been outscored by 176 points (375-209).  After this coming game it wouldn't surprise me to be closer to 200-210 in the equivalent of a 16 game season.  To put that into perspective, the 1984 and 85 Bills were outscored by 204 and 181 points respectively. 

I'm not a fan of sports media types ever angling to get people fired and see this largely to feed their ego to change things.  I do expect them to call into question when things are going off the rails like this season has. 

• Like (+1) 2

The whole lot of them should be on the hot seat for how they handled this QB debacle..   Beane and McStupid have nobody to blame but themselves..   how you go into a season with a rookie and a first year "player" with no established vet is beyond me...   They should all get fired.      they had 2 vets on this team and traded both.... DUMB. 

And I thought mcStupid was this great defensive coach....   how many games have we been blown out since he's been here?   I have no problem wanting a coach that wants smart players, but when you bring in 15 (not really)  different DT and no WR ....WTH????     they have no clue... 

Edited by gordong
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Allen sure is the biggest piece in this puzzle.  Teller, IMO, has shown enough to be a good depth player if needed...potential starting potential in the future.  Siran Neal has played in all 7 games this year in a good secondary.  Not bad for a 5th rounder.  Nate Peterman?  Well, you can’t hit on them all.  Overall, I think Beane/McD have done a very nice job with the draft.

I don't necessarily have a problem with their drafting so far, but it's been very limited on the offensive side. Allen, Dawkins and Jones being the only starters - and the only one who currently looks the part is Dawkins, even if the others are 'starting'.

I would trust McDermott to draft DBs later in the draft, regularly, but as to other positions, I'm not convinced.

I don't believe that the media are especially trying to get McDermott canned, but they do have a responsibility to report what they see accurately. And what they have seen thus far this season, has resembled a sh1tshow too often.

I'm not sure anyone thought that our offense could get any worse than last years was at times, but it has.

I'm not sure anyone thought our offense could look as clueless as it did at times last season, but it's even gone beyond that.

The above is on Beane and McDermott, and their choices, be it moving players on, who to keep and who not to keep, and who to bring in, both as OC, position coaches, and players.

McDermott will not be on the hot seat immediately, but he might find it warming up a lot, if he continues to use resources on Defense, when we have no offense to speak of.

Long term, I feel that the D will be good enough - some of their troubles this year have been, imho, from poor gameplans, and inaccurate execution, where they need to become more familiar with each other and the system - there was still a fair bit of player turnover to the D, and it all needs time. The appalling lack of production on offense, has also been an added cross for them to bear.

You can’t really say that McD has a certain time period before he is fired..

If the players quit on him then he will be gone..

Saw some signs last week that the Defense was going through the motions..It’s a given that the Offense is going to suck so if the D stops trying then it’s danger time ahead for McD..They supposedly have just about fixed this side of the ball right? 

Will be watching the effort next week very closely..they will be in the national spotlight so hope that means something to the players..

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Oh yes!  I can't wait until McBeane signs Devin Funchess to a 5 year $70 million dollar deal.

I can hardly contain myself.

You won't be able to question it because they know Funchess better than you do. He's going to take on double teams to let everyone else run around free. Even when the film won't back that up...he still does, you just can't see it. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

Did anyone really expect any thing different from where he are right now?  Everyone had us picking number 1 overall, were right on track.  New flash we suck, we were built to suck this year.  This is where they should be.  My only concern is Allen, I hope they didn't miss on him, and if they did I hope they have the stones to draft another qb in the first round.  Once we get a franchise QB, with his owner ship group  all our problems will go away. 

28 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Ronald Darby - Supposedly didn't buy into the zone defense we were installing...  So rather than have him be a cancer, they got something for him, can't fault them there

Marcel Dareus - Was worthless on our team, put in very little effort, and was a cancer, not someone you want influencing your young up and coming rookies

As for in LA, I'm not sure if you were referring to Robey-Coleman or Woods, but I 100% wanted to keep Woods and believe it was a mistake IF Woods was open to staying in Buffalo and they sent him packing.  Robey I believe is JAG.

And KC, I am assuming you are referring to Watkins and not Ragland, and Watkins has shown that he was nothing special, certainly not worth the $$ he wanted/received from KC.

You make it sound like our players that we sent packing are integral parts of these SB teams when in reality they are far from it and were great teams before those players arrived.

I'll give you Darby because they 're did the whole secondary and did a great job.

As far as Dareus and his"cancer", what I remember is our D got runned over in 3 strAight blow out losses immediately after he left and he sacked our QB in the playoffs.

say what you want about Sammy, but one of the smartest offensive guys in the NFL thinks he's good enough to start for him and you and McDermott dont. Ok, I'll side with Andy Reid.

And yes, Woods.  I don't know if he wanted to sign here or how much bla bla blah.   He wanted to be paid. Like all good NFL players.  You have to have them to win.   You get what you pay for.

why do we never have money to sign people while Atlanta has Ryan (fat wallet), Jones (fat wallet), Sanu who the signed (fat wallet), and Ridley who they traded up into 1st round for yet we never do? I don't buy it.

6 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

Did anyone really expect any thing different from where he are right now?  Everyone had us picking number 1 overall, were right on track.  New flash we suck, we were built to suck this year.  This is where they should be.  My only concern is Allen, I hope they didn't miss on him, and if they did I hope they have the stones to draft another qb in the first round.  Once we get a franchise QB, with his owner ship group  all our problems will go away. 

I knew EJ,losman, etc etc etc didnt have the goods immediately.

With allen i am very worried but something tells me that he may still have a chance.

40% chance this works out. He needs a coordinator who will let him run...and who calls play which minimize his

tendency to be inaccurate.

If we just throw him out there as a pocket passer who we expect to surgically dissect the defense with precise throws

like Brady and Brees and Goff and Rodgers and Rothleisberger do then this will be a disaster.

Edited by Tcali