Your Bills Fanhood

1) When the Bills won the AFL title in 1964, everybody was talking about them and I got interested. I lived in Orchard Park. I was 14 years old.

2) In my mind the Bills are like the city of Buffalo--a hard luck, blue-collar team the reminds me of the family and people I grew up with. 

3) Maybe my favorite memory was riding my bike to the MIlestrip Inn in the mid-1960s to watch the Bills practice in training camp. It was so low-rent and primitive. They had a scruffy football field behind this ordinary motel right next to the Thruway. The players walked out the back of the motel, across the parking lot, to the field to practice. I remember Harry Jacobs (a linebacker) wearing a golf hat as he came out carrying his helmet, joking with the six to ten fans who were there to watch. No bleachers, no amenities, just standing there by the field. The players seemed so much older than me, but they were probably only in their twenties or early thirties. They were half as big as the players today. 

Edited by Dr. K

How did you become a Bills fan? - Moved to VA from Japan the year the Bills played the Redskins in the Super Bowl.  I hated the rednecks & hicks that liked the Redskins so I became a Bills fan as a '***** you' to them.

What do you love most about The Bills? - The color scheme/logos and fan base.

What's your favorite memory as a fan? - Watching the Bills rally to beat the Redskins at FedEx Field on Sean Taylor Memorial day.

1.  Formation of the AFL was announced and Ralph Wilson, bless his soul, gave us/me a team.

2.  That they represent a great but often disrespected city, sometimes (though not often enough) making us proud of them and the city.

3.  That's easy: Frank Reich "writes" the surreal "Death to the Oilers" script.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

1. Born and raised in Utica. All Bills games were televised on CBS.

2. Even though Buffalo was 3 hours away, it felt like the Bills were my home team.

3. 51-3

NBC had the AFC from my first year watching in 1973 to 1998

1.  Born and raised in Tonawanda.  Was at the Rockpile first game 1960 when I was 4 years old.

2.  That they made my hometown into a major league city.

3.  My best memory was hanging out in the locker room at Cardinal O'Hara with the guys from the AFL teams.  My dad always reffed the charity game between the Bills and the faculty, so I'd hang out with my heros. 

1. I was born into it.  My whole family has always been Bills fans.  

2. The connection to home.  There are passionate Bills fans all over the place and when you meet one, your connection is instantaneous. 

3. #1 is easily having my wedding pictures taken on the field @ The Ralph.  Driving a convertible out of the tunnel and then tossing the ball around on the field was so freakin cool.  The rest in no particular order - Watching training camp practices in Fredonia when I was a kid and getting autographs. I was determined to get Bruce's one year and backpeddled in front of him as he walked to his car and wouldn't let him get in until he signed.  Meeting Andre Reed when he came to visit my cub scout troop during his rookie year, I was 7, he's been my favorite player since.  These could both be under #1 as well.  Kelly's QB sneak to beat the Dolphins in what...1989?  51-3.  Listening to the comeback over Oilers on the radio with my Dad.  Fitz leading us to the 1st win over NE* in forever.  Dalton to Boyd to help us end the drought...watching all those videos still gives me goosebumps.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

With all the bickering going on about McBeane, Peterman, etc, TBD has been quite tense the last few days. More than usual I'd say. So I thought I'd start a thread to cool everybody down. Three questions.

1. How did you become a Bills fan?  Before McBeane, Peterman, etc. came on board.
  2. What do you love most about The Bills?  Not McBeane, Peterman, etc.
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan?  When McBeane, Peterman, etc. leave.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  Born and raised in Tonawanda.  Was at the Rockpile first game 1960 when I was 4 years old.

2.  That they made my hometown into a major league city.

3.  My best memory was hanging out in the locker room at Cardinal O'Hara with the guys from the AFL teams.  My dad always reffed the charity game between the Bills and the faculty, so I'd hang out with my heros. 

That's something you'd NEVER see now a days. The NFLPA would be all over that. That's awesome.

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

NBC had the AFC from my first year watching in 1973 to 1998

Up until last year, I still was turning to Channel 2 at 1PM on Sundays...................Then, the day I went to Channel 4 first, somehow Fox had the game, even though it wasn't an NFC team visiting the Bills (which usually is the only time it will be on Fox)

How did you become a Bills fan?  Kids on the school bus LOVED football.  I checked it out, but couldn't find a reason NOT to root for the local red, white, & blue team (1980).

What do you love most about The Bills? Fans' die-hard allegiance to the area.  Most transplants to other areas (myself included) remain Bills (and Sabres) fans, from what I have seen.

What's your favorite memory as a fan? Asking a woman out with "the Comeback" game on the radio (TV blackout) in the other room.  She has now been my wife for 23 years...and counting.

20 minutes ago, bbb said:

Up until last year, I still was turning to Channel 2 at 1PM on Sundays...................Then, the day I went to Channel 4 first, somehow Fox had the game, even though it wasn't an NFC team visiting the Bills (which usually is the only time it will be on Fox)

If you remember 51-3 then you were watching the Bills on NBC, from 1965 to 1998, CBS may have had their games from 1960 to 1965

CBS bluffed bad and lost it's NFL coverage when Fox stepped in for the 1997 contract. 

These days you never know where the Bills wind up on Sunday, but back in the day it was NBC

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/17/2018 at 7:44 PM, Gugny said:
  1. How did you become a Bills fan? - BUF/NYG Super Bowl.  I told my friends I was flipping a coin.  Heads, I root for Buffalo; Tails, I root for NY ... and that I would remain a fan of that team forever.  It landed on Heads.
  2. What do you love most about The Bills? - Being a fan has allowed me to meet a lot of nice people and even form some close friendships.
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan? - The day Tyrod Taylor was traded.  And no ... I'm not kidding.

This is pathetic. So many good games over the years and the first guy to not be so trash and be just good enough to get us into the playoffs after a million years getting traded is your best memory??? Pathetic. 

Edited by Elite Poster

• How did you become a Bills fan? - At University my best friend was a massive Bears fan, got me into the NFL and when I was choosing a team he told me to pick a bad one so i could see them improve rather than a good team which would decline. Still waiting for that improvement after just over a decade but i have faith!
  • What do you love most about The Bills? - The fans, the Bills have the best fan base. When NFL games are played over here in the UK there are always Bills fans and they are always awesome. 
  • What's your favorite memory as a fan? Making the playoffs last season, my (heavily pregnant) wife and I skipped a New Years party to stay home and watch the Bills, when cincy scored that touchdown vs the Ravens to put us through it was one of the greatest moments of my life
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, Augie said:

1) I was born into it. My family had season tickets going back to the mid-60’s when I was very young. (Despite what @plenzmd1 might tell you.) In third grade I would walk home from school to a friend’s house, Jack Kemps son. Later my sister used to babysit players kids. I remember watching a game from Butch Byrd’s living room on his TV with his son. It goes way back.

I watch the games every week with Butch Byrd's son, George. Great guy. 

1. I grew up in Dallas as a YUGE Cowboys fan during the Tom Landry era.  I rooted for them from 1960-1988.  Then JJ came along and I didn't like him.  but I gave him a chance for a few years.  When they played I'd half cheer for them to win and half cheer for them to lose.  No way to be a fan.  Then I met my current wife who was from up there and a YUGE Bills fan.  So i started watching games with her.  Since they were good then they were on TV often.  I decided, I can cheer for these guys.  So I officially switched my fandom to the bills in 1996.

2. It's a family thing.  My wife and daughter and I have a lot of fun watching the games and talking about them and making a few trips back there to see games like the Monday Nighter and Bears games coming up.  I like how the guys play hard and as a team (most of the time).

3. Since I've only been a fan since 1996 I have no memories of the glory years except Jim's last season in 1996.  Still can't believe we lost that playoff game to the Jaguars.  Anyway.  My favorite memory is probably something to do with Flutie.  Or maybe Kyle rubbing the fish's nose in it going in for a TD to seal what we needed to do to get it.  The opening day vs the Colts butt whoopin' the year after they went to Deflate Gate AFC Championship game was a lot of fun too.   Or when EJ and company beat the defending SB champs Ravens.  Lot of good times.

Edited by reddogblitz

1. Not really sure. Being born here, and having family that rooted for the bills most likely

2. Always being an underdog.

3. Ill give 2 favorite memories. One happened 20 years ago to this day( might be a day off) bills vs jaguars. The flutie keeper on the roll out for the win in the final seconds. Being in the stadium was electric. Other memory would be training camps in Fredonia getting an auto graph from Jeff Burris or almost getting Phil Hansens gloves.

28 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I watch the games every week with Butch Byrd's son, George. Great guy. 

HA! I used to trade football cards with George in our basement. I always thought he had an advantage! This goes way back to when we lived in Oakbrook in Williamsville. 

(1) Grew up in small town Western PA, right around the river bend from East Brady, rabid Steeler country. May sound crazy, but the "Welcome to East Brady, Home of Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly" larger than life sign started me on the road to fandom as a young pup. I started following JK's career from there, at the beginning of the SB years' run, and became the lifer Bills fan I am now.

(2) I've grown to like rooting for a team where you know the fans are true, real and not bandwagon, because this team has rarely offered a bandwagon to jump onto. If you root for the Bills, then there must be some sort of loyal quality about you, otherwise, why would you even stick around?

(3) 1991 Steeler game where JK threw 6 TD"s in a rout--getting on the school bus the next day with quiet, sullen Steeler fans for once not giving me any guff--priceless. 

I was a Bears fan at 7 years old (1985).  The Fridge, McMahon, Superbowl shuffle were just so cool.  

1. How did you become a Bills fan? As i seriously started watching football in late 80's in CNY the Bills were on TV and I fell in love.
  2. What do you love most about The Bills? I love the fans and how the team embraces the fans.  
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan?  I loved yelling "BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

I was born in Rochester and slowly became a Bills fan by osmosis on Sunday afternoons.  What cemented it for me was when I was 10 my dad & a couple of the other fathers in our neighborhood took us kids on a road trip to see a game at the Rock Pile.  As a kid growing up in Rochester I thought of Buffalo as a far away place where you went on vacation to see the zoo or Niagara Falls!  Anyway the game we saw was against the Boston Patriots and even though OJ didn't play that day the Bills won the game and I was hooked. 

I attended a few more games during junior high & high school and have to admit that with the Bills being awful I also rooted for the KC Chiefs who won the Super Bowl in 1970.  But OJ's amazing 2000 yard season in 1974 brought me back into the fold and returned me to football monogamy. 

One game I remember while still in high school was a trip to Rich Stadium to watch the Bills play the Vikings.  It was a massive snow storm and I got to see a couple of NFL TD records set by OJ & Fran Tarkenton.  The Bills lost but what stuck in my mind was the constant barrage of snowballs that were flying out of the stands and crashing on top of the Vikings sideline.  I mean it was HUNDREDS of snow balls constantly falling among the Viking players & coaches.  We were seated in the open end zone high up and so our view of this snow ball Armageddon was surrealistic.   Even as a HS kid I knew it was wrong yet there was a certain beauty to it all as the snow balls rose up from the stands and then descended in a graceful arc to smash into the Vikings bench.  At that point a reality hit me as a Bills fan - win or lose, Bills games could still be a blast!

I guess my favorite memory was when the Bills ended the Miami winning streak at Rich Stadium on opening day of the 1980 season.  By that time I was in college at UB and as I recall the weather was beautiful with the sun out and it actually being hot.  As college students attending the game and taking full advantage of the tail gating the game was a blur but I do remember that the Bills kept turning the ball over as if some weird curse was in play.  Then they got 2 TD's in the 4th quarter to win and the fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts.  I guess this is where the term PANDEMONIUM to describe a Bills game got started?  If not, it should have!  

And of course the super bowl run was amazing.  At the time it left a bitter taste in my mouth but over the years I've come to realize the greatness of the achievement.  No one will ever again go to 4 straight Super Bowls.  No one. 

On 10/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

With all the bickering going on about McBeane, Peterman, etc, TBD has been quite tense the last few days. More than usual I'd say. So I thought I'd start a thread to cool everybody down. Three questions.

1. How did you become a Bills fan?
  2. What do you love most about The Bills? 
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan?

1. Step father was a Bills fan. First game I remember watching was the playoff game we lost to the Browns.

2. The tradition. No matter how the team plays they somehow garner new fans every year. We don't have to watch a Bills game just like we don't have to celebrate Christmas, right?

3. Listening to the play by play of the Greatest Comeback on my dad's stereo in the living room. "It's pandemonium!" I can still hear it like I just heard it yesterday.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

This is pathetic. So many good games over the years and the first guy to not be so trash and be just good enough to get us into the playoffs after a million years getting traded is your best memory??? Pathetic. 

I consider it to be Elite.

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

HA! I used to trade football cards with George in our basement. I always thought he had an advantage! This goes way back to when we lived in Oakbrook in Williamsville. 

If you want me to say hi, PM me your name he would know you as. He really is a terrific guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1. At 15, my family Immigrated to U.S. from Korea and settled in Amherst.  Bills and Sabres were only news of the Town which I did not understand at first.

2. Loyal fans across the country.  Proud to wear team logo win or loss.  

3. I moved to NYC/Long Island, NY in 1996 after college.   I married in NYC and 2 boys were born.  I was so excited when two of my boys became BILLS fan, juggling between Giants.  Taking my boys to their first Bills game at Metlife stadium last year and experiencing HUGE away game tailgate with BILLS fan.  Trip to Buffalo this year, of course with two boys, to watch their first Sabres and BIlls game as a HOME TEAM.  Hugging and singing shout song after Hauschka's winning field goal.