Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, we wouldn't.  We wouldn't have a special counsel, and the executive would stone-wall Republican Congressional investigations at every turn, invoking executive privilege to refuse answering Congressional subpoenas and giving hearing testimony.  And no one would notice, because she wouldn't be tweeting like an eight-year-old, which is apparently all anyone pays attention to.

There would still have been a special counsel.  But the media would have Alan Derschowitz on every night explaining why the stuff the Counsel is investigation exceeds the original mandate and is a violation of civil rights.  

And Derschowitz social circle would no longer shun him for refusing to sacrifice his ethics and core beliefs upon the alter of #orangemanbad

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

No, we wouldn't.  We wouldn't have a special counsel, and the executive would stone-wall Republican Congressional investigations at every turn, invoking executive privilege to refuse answering Congressional subpoenas and giving hearing testimony.  And no one would notice, because she wouldn't be tweeting like an eight-year-old, which is apparently all anyone pays attention to.

Agree with Dev. We would have a special counsel - investigating trump. The Russia stuff was meant to hang him when he lost every bit as much as it was meant to prevent him from winning. 

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Agree with Dev. We would have a special counsel - investigating trump. The Russia stuff was meant to hang him when he lost every bit as much as it was meant to prevent him from winning. 

If Trump lost, we wouldn't need a special counsel to investigate him.  It'd just be a regular old federal investigation and prosecution.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

If Trump lost...

There have been many times in the past two years when I have read, watched or heard Trump do something that made my shoulders slump, my head spin, and my inner embarrassment meter to wail like a London police car siren. 

Then I repeat the three words you posted above, and I remember how much worse everything could have been, and I sleep like a baby.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

There have been many times in the past two years when I have read, watched or heard Trump do something that made my shoulders slump, my head spin, and my inner embarrassment meter to wail like a London police car siren. 

Then I repeat the three words you posted above, and I remember how much worse everything could have been, and I sleep like a baby.

I hear ya.  Whenever His Trumpiness does Trumpy stuff, I try stop and remind myself that as embarassing as Trump can be at least Hiliary Clinton is not President

On 12/27/2018 at 10:13 AM, B-Man said:

I guess Article 6 only applies to Democrats? I know it says no religious test can be given, but wouldn't the opposite apply as well? Anyone that assumes it is okay to discriminate against a religion?

From Article 6:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States

The NYT makes its 2020 presidential choice obvious.

On the front page:

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-12-29%2Bat%2B3.48.47%2BPM.png

Inside, the text is clear. There's Kamala Harris and there are 3 other decent choices... and those 3 other guys need to step back and get out of the way:

Senator Kamala Harris of California.... Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts senator... Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey...And Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.... These four high-profile Democratic senators are poised to enter the 2020 presidential race in the next several weeks...

The speed of the senators’ efforts reflects intense political pressure to establish themselves as leading candidates in a Democratic field that could get crowded, fast.... and they don’t want to lose a step to a rival fresh face, such as Representative Beto O’Rourke, the former Texas Senate candidate who has been the focus of intense speculation in recent weeks as a potential presidential candidate....

For the Senate foursome, moving quickly into the race is also a pre-emptive effort to undercut the early advantages of a duo of universally known contenders, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who may enter the race in the coming months. Mr. Biden and Mr. Sanders would start off with important advantages, including existing networks of support among early-state activists and party donors, and the stature to generate impressive displays of support at early rallies.

But as white men, Mr. Biden, Mr. Sanders and Mr. O’Rourke do not reflect the gender and racial diversity of many Democratic candidates and swaths of the electorate that dominated the 2018 midterms. Ms. Harris, Ms. Warren, Ms. Gillibrand and Mr. Booker, by contrast, would instantly make the 2020 Democratic field the most diverse array of presidential candidates in history. And they might well scramble the early polling leads held by Mr. Biden and Mr. Sanders, who benefit from strong name recognition but would be in their late 70s by Election Day 2020, at a moment when some in the party are agitating for generational change....

The number of male operatives under consideration for campaign manager posts has raised concerns among some female Democratic strategists who hoped the diversity of the 2020 field would prompt more hiring of female and minority staffers for senior roles.... The focus on staff diversity reflects not only the influence of the #MeToo movement on Democratic politics but the demands of a party that has shifted to the left during the Trump era....

21 hours ago, B-Man said:

The NYT makes its 2020 presidential choice obvious.

On the front page:

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-12-29%2Bat%2B3.48.47%2BPM.png

Inside, the text is clear. There's Kamala Harris and there are 3 other decent choices... and those 3 other guys need to step back and get out of the way:

Senator Kamala Harris of California.... Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts senator... Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey...And Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.... These four high-profile Democratic senators are poised to enter the 2020 presidential race in the next several weeks...

The speed of the senators’ efforts reflects intense political pressure to establish themselves as leading candidates in a Democratic field that could get crowded, fast.... and they don’t want to lose a step to a rival fresh face, such as Representative Beto O’Rourke, the former Texas Senate candidate who has been the focus of intense speculation in recent weeks as a potential presidential candidate....

For the Senate foursome, moving quickly into the race is also a pre-emptive effort to undercut the early advantages of a duo of universally known contenders, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who may enter the race in the coming months. Mr. Biden and Mr. Sanders would start off with important advantages, including existing networks of support among early-state activists and party donors, and the stature to generate impressive displays of support at early rallies.

But as white men, Mr. Biden, Mr. Sanders and Mr. O’Rourke do not reflect the gender and racial diversity of many Democratic candidates and swaths of the electorate that dominated the 2018 midterms. Ms. Harris, Ms. Warren, Ms. Gillibrand and Mr. Booker, by contrast, would instantly make the 2020 Democratic field the most diverse array of presidential candidates in history. And they might well scramble the early polling leads held by Mr. Biden and Mr. Sanders, who benefit from strong name recognition but would be in their late 70s by Election Day 2020, at a moment when some in the party are agitating for generational change....

The number of male operatives under consideration for campaign manager posts has raised concerns among some female Democratic strategists who hoped the diversity of the 2020 field would prompt more hiring of female and minority staffers for senior roles.... The focus on staff diversity reflects not only the influence of the #MeToo movement on Democratic politics but the demands of a party that has shifted to the left during the Trump era....

The multiple cultural, matriarchal Democratic Party that represents the majority of Americans is coming into its own. Thanks Trump! Democratic voters are no longer complacent 

After her ridiculous "DNA Proof" announcement knocked her down to 5th or 6th place, I can see why she wants to be the first to announce....:lol:

Elizabeth Warren is running for President.

Here's the announcement:

Analysis from Prof. Ann Althouse:

0:06 — EW begins in a dreary, ordinary kitchen. Dark cupboards. I'm just going to guess this is her actual kitchen. She intones the middle-class code words, "work hard and play by the rules." 

0:09 — She's momming about with a baby and a birthday cake.

0:14 — The cake says "Atticus" on it. Does EW have a grandchild named Atticus? Yes!

0:49 — EW's family were able to make it economically, but things are much more difficult for families today. Is that true? We're shown a chart that shows horrible decline, but it's a depiction of the share of wealth, not real income. There are dismal chords playing on a piano, and EW's voice conveys controlled anger.

1:15 — "America's middle class is under attack." Closeup of EW's face saying this line. She seems very intense. She's telling us we are threatened. Who is attacking us?

1:19 —  Answer to my question: "Billionaires and big corporations."

3:01 — "An atmosphere of fear and hate designed to divide us" — with images of Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Steve Bannon.

3:19 — But "we can make our democracy work for all of us" — she says as the music becomes more soothing and we're shown the Statue of Liberty.

3:44 — Many images of EW in the sunshine, encountering people of color, hugging. 

3:51 — She loves the America where people "play by the same set of rules." Images with rainbow paraphernalia (presumably representing gay people).

4:01 — She's announcing her exploratory committee, she says, followed by protesters chanting a chant that is very evocative here in Wisconsin: "This is what democracy looks like."

4:22 — "If we persist together, we can win, we can, and we will."

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

4:01 — She's announcing her exploratory committee, she says, followed by protesters chanting a chant that is very evocative here in Wisconsin: "This is what democracy looks like."

Democracy looks like a liberal white grandmother cooking "Pow Wow Chow?"

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

The exploratory committee isn't designed to gauge the potential support of the electorate, but rather is designed to test her favorables with the donor class. 

I get it.  It is step one so that she can take campaign contributions.  But just run.  If you're jumping into the pool, jump in.  If I was thinking about supporting her, I wouldn't give her a dime until she actually declared.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Hillary has to be jumping around her Chappaqua living room like a little kid who just ate a couple dozen sugar cookies thinking about when she should jump in.

If I were advising her, she'd be the very last one in.

If California's primaries will be first, then the last day possible to get on that ballot.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

If I were advising her, she'd be the very last one in.

If California's primaries will be first, then the last day possible to get on that ballot.

I agree because she needs as much dust to fall on her past as possible but there is Hillary's massive ego to satisfy.

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The exploratory committee isn't designed to gauge the potential support of the electorate, but rather is designed to test her favorables with the donor class. 

I think that the exploratory committee mainly matters for previously unknown candidates.  I believe that people such as her always has one ear to the ground when it comes to donors.  My feeling is that the committee for Warren will amount to a jettison mechanism if her poll numbers start to trend worse than expected or draws a fair amount of poor media reaction.  That she will say that the committee determined that it was a poor time to run without the embarrassment of having full blown campaign to shut down.  My two cents.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I hope all her donor step up and give her $24 in glass beads.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Her last 'test'  (DNA) didn't go too well..........:lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that the exploratory committee mainly matters for previously unknown candidates.  I believe that people such as her always has one ear to the ground when it comes to donors.  My feeling is that the committee for Warren will amount to a jettison mechanism if her poll numbers start to trend worse than expected or draws a fair amount of poor media reaction.  That she will say that the committee determined that it was a poor time to run without the embarrassment of having full blown campaign to shut down.  My two cents.

Stereotyping?

Drawing of Native American holding his ears to the ground

• Haha (+1) 1

Warren and family

So she's *now talking to the press in a completely spontaneous and not at all planned walk outside.

DvxU-C2VAAA55zS.jpgDvxU-C1UUAABP6_.jpg"They put my leash on. I'm outside. Where's my damned walk?"

And the puff pieces begin. She won't even need a campaign manager.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Who cares, having a decent person in the WH after this crap show will be a relief. That you guys hate her is just the cherry on top. :) 

What has she done to improve Massachusetts? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Doubt it.  Putin, little Kim in NK, and others down the line will have her for lunch.  

Lol! That's funny! Putin will be so pissed if his puppet is replaced. 

Putin helped Trump win for a reason

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

What has she done to improve Massachusetts? 

She is competent and Trump is incompetent. She will be a huge improvement. But Putin will be unhappy. Boo hoo. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well if she leaves...……………………………………………………………..

For the WH