What I'd do to see a fun entertaining high scoring Bills game...... Will it happen???

47 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How many posters and people here want the Bills to go 3-13 because of draft position?  See it all the time from Bills fans and the "Trust the Porcess" faction that it is about draft position and building for the future.  Actually as a Bills Fan I want them to go 19-0 every year, but have been beaten up so bad and realize that playoffs are not possible and that the ceiling is 9-7 as long as the FO doesn't concentrate on the Offense and getting weapons.....  They dismantled it last year and have since 2015 been putrid on offense (and only marginally better prior)......  

The last team with a lousy Offense to win a Superbowl was 1999 The Baltimore Ravens.....

I'm sick and tired of watching a team not even try and move the ball through the air, refuse to sign NFL quality receivers, trade away very good ones and then keep feeding BS to fans to wait and see the 2025 Bills and the fruits of their labour......

BTW Watkins seems to have done pretty well for his pocketbook, so I guess another GM is a chump???

I hear ya 72. This year is boring. I don’t think anyone loves how this year is going to play out. I really don’t think there are many, if any posters that only want to win 3 games. If you read the board, by far the majority would love to see the playoffs again.  That why any win with this crew is an exciting win...for most. Shoot outs may come in the future, but don’t hold your breath this year.   If it’s really that boring, just do something else. I had to stop watching the Green Bay game. It just wasn’t worth my time. It’s ok to turn it off. 

Concerning sammy, I’m not sure what you’re getting at. He’s getting paid far too much money for his production so far. Just like most thought would happen, which is exactly why trading Watkins wasn’t a bad thing. You tried far to hard to argue he’s a top back. He’s not. He’s stealing money from the chiefs. 

On 10/10/2018 at 11:37 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Please no more winning ugly.  Yep 1-2/yr is okay, but every week to watch this offense struggle, no creativity or wanting to move the ball downfield is makes it almost impossible to watch.  85 yards passing, 19 attempts and 1 TD in two weeks is unwatchable.  I feel sorry for the fans who pay money and am thankful I can tape the game, have Picture in Picture on, switch to the NFL network and watch while on a bike getting exercise and reading too.....

Does the Bills front office & coaches pay no attention to the fact that every winning team does it with an offense capable of moving the ball, throwing for 350+ (used to say 300, but 400 now easily done)?

Yep before I get the stoopid responses "Then don't watch", unfortunately the Bills have been my team for 48 years and I will keep watching, however I am now having nightmares of Joe Ferguson and his 15 pass attempts/game.....

This is 2018 not 1973...... 

Hope you got your fill in the preseason 

29 minutes ago, teef said:

I hear ya 72. This year is boring. I don’t think anyone loves how this year is going to play out. I really don’t think there are many, if any posters that only want to win 3 games. If you read the board, by far the majority would love to see the playoffs again.  That why any win with this crew is an exciting win...for most. Shoot outs may come in the future, but don’t hold your breath this year.   If it’s really that boring, just do something else. I had to stop watching the Green Bay game. It just wasn’t worth my time. It’s ok to turn it off. 

Concerning sammy, I’m not sure what you’re getting at. He’s getting paid far too much money for his production so far. Just like most thought would happen, which is exactly why trading Watkins wasn’t a bad thing. You tried far to hard to argue he’s a top back. He’s not. He’s stealing money from the chiefs. 

I said thankfully this is 2018, I have PIP, the nfl network, a spinning bike that I workout on while watching the game with my tablet to read as well, often PVR the second half so I can fast forward & probably 4 other games on too to switch back and forth as needed.

I have a lot to keep me busy & still watch the game.

In 1973 I had just the Bills game on........

The worst part is that the the last couple of Bills coache have the 1960's belief of winning in the NFL. You won't win many games playing conservative offense with less then 150 yds passing. I don't know wjy so many of you Rockpile fans yearn for that kind of football. 

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

The worst part is that the the last couple of Bills coache have the 1960's belief of winning in the NFL. You won't win many games playing conservative offense with less then 150 yds passing. I don't know wjy so many of you Rockpile fans yearn for that kind of football. 

Because it wins, at least last week.  And because it's football the way some of us like it to be.

The problem is all these coaches that come in say "the way to win is pounding the rock & a strong defense!"

They think because they're in Buffalo, it's the only way to build a team. Seriously, every friggin coach we've had says that same damn thing. It's like they've resigned themselves to the idea they'll never develop a good QB here, so they might as well just pretend like its their intention to limit the offense to run-run-pass-punt.

Then again, I feel for these offensive coordinators... They probably WANT to do more, but can only call plays based on what they have. And when the HC's always say they want to build an offense that focuses on "managing the game," field position, and protecting the ball over any kind of creativity or risk-taking, they just have to do what they can within the confines of the philosophy dictated by being a HC in Buffalo.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:11 PM, GreggTX said:

I don't like high scoring games. Booooooooring!!! Give me a great defense and THAT's football. This aerial circus crap -- you can have it.

The Bills have had plenty of good, sometimes even great defenses the past 2 decades.... It doesn't mean anything unless your offense can compete in the modern NFL. 

All these stupid risk-adverse, game management, strong defense coaches pretty much seal their long term fate by trying to play like its 1975. Unless you put together a defense that is one of the ALL-TIME greats, it's a pretty safe way to ensure you consistently aren't a threat to ever do much in a season, let alone win a Super Bowl.

I don’t understand why people love games where teams score like crazy. I never have and I have never understood that obsession. I’d rather watch a 17-13 game then a 41-38 game any day. When it comes to the Bills this is even more the case. Nothing drives me crazier then watching the Bills be unable to stop someone. I am probably more accustomed to and more comfortable watching the Bills struggle on offense. I can almost handle that, but  I can not take it when the Bills are getting scored on every drive. There is nothing more frustrating then watching a team concert 3rd Downs on us and us continually not getting off the field. Obviously if you tell me the Bills are going to win 45-7 (scoring and stopping) then that’s the best of both worlds. But these shootouts do nothing for me. I fell in love with Football because of its physical nature and grittiness. Teams working together to grind things out and running through someone’s will on either side of the ball.  I wish teams were allowed to play defense again and pass interference and roughing the passer were called once a weekend. I hate that they are both called 3-5 times in every game. I barely watch college Football because they don’t play any defense. I suppose at this stage in the game I am in the minority but I have no interest in seeing a shootout with the Bills. Just win the game. 

PS I am hoping 15 pass attempts for Allen is the ceiling. The kid is not ready to play and is learning year 3 college stuff in his rookie season. I’d rather watch 30 touches for Shady and 10 for Ivory every week, then Allen bouncing fast balls off the dirt and sidelines. Development doesn’t have to equal losing.

I couldn’t careless how other teams do things, this team needs the running backs to touch the ball on almost every play. You wouldn’t ask Brady to do what Cam Newton does. I would have Allen throwing 10-15 passes in a game and most of them would be very safe. I realize most people fundamentally disagree with that concept but I’m okay with that. We won’t be winnng games with Allen throwing it 30 times a game and all he is going to do is lose people’s trust. The kid looks lost and that’s just the reality of the situation. When people can take a step back and be objective they will see that Allen shouldn’t be playing yet. The only reason he is, was out of necessity. It’s a shame because that’s not Allen’s fault. At this point, he is in. Bring him in slow and let the game come to him. 15 passes is a high number in my eyes.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

On 10/10/2018 at 8:37 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Please no more winning ugly.  Yep 1-2/yr is okay, but every week to watch this offense struggle, no creativity or wanting to move the ball downfield is makes it almost impossible to watch.  85 yards passing, 19 attempts and 1 TD in two weeks is unwatchable.  I feel sorry for the fans who pay money and am thankful I can tape the game, have Picture in Picture on, switch to the NFL network and watch while on a bike getting exercise and reading too.....

Does the Bills front office & coaches pay no attention to the fact that every winning team does it with an offense capable of moving the ball, throwing for 350+ (used to say 300, but 400 now easily done)?

Yep before I get the stoopid responses "Then don't watch", unfortunately the Bills have been my team for 48 years and I will keep watching, however I am now having nightmares of Joe Ferguson and his 15 pass attempts/game.....

This is 2018 not 1973...... 

I understand your frustration,  but I view this is year with few expectations.   I am hoping this year is a springboard to a long run of high production, and double digits wins for many seasons to come.   Any victories we can " steal" are ok by me.  Did anyone expect to be ,2-3 after the first five games?  We could actually be at 500 after six game! (yes it will take a few breaks going our way).  I am hopeful that the game will start to slow down for Allen and he will have his breakout game sooner rather than later.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

On 10/10/2018 at 11:42 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

You know they did draft a QB #7 overall this year.  In fact, traded up.  You don't do that unless you think this guy can take your offense to the next level.

Allen was also one of the leaders in air yard attempts.  We simplified throws for him because he was struggling with consistency....he's still a rookie.

Im curious: how many games does Allen get with you before you start changing your responses to questions like this?

At what point will his play bother you?  Half-season?  Full season?  Two full seasons?  Three? 

At some point it won't be acceptable to say he's "raw" and "still learning," you know.

On 10/10/2018 at 1:55 PM, mannc said:

I may be in the minority, but I think the dramatic increase in passing offense is not a result of the rule changes, but rather the fact that modern nfl coaches understand that, as a general rule, passing is a much better way to move the football and score points than running.  They have put more emphasis on throwing the ball and developing innovative passing concepts. I don’t think yards per attempt have gone up dramatically in the past 20 years, but the number of attempts certainly has.  

it makes me wonder ....if several teams are passing successfully like crazy, it forces the opponent to resort to that as well.  maybe a lot of the overall statistics are swayed by that.

this team better learn how to get proficient at it quick because there are gonna be times where we are behind to the extent that we have to pass nonstop.

31 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Im curious: how many games does Allen get with you before you start changing your responses to questions like this?

At what point will his play bother you?  Half-season?  Full season?  Two full seasons?  Three? 

At some point it won't be acceptable to say he's "raw" and "still learning," you know.

I’d say longer than 4 games into his rookie year....especially in camp when he got only about 10% of the 1st team reps in camp in a 3 way competition.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

On 10/10/2018 at 10:37 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep before I get the stoopid responses

Ask a silly questions, get silly answers.

Does the Bills front office & coaches pay no attention to the fact that every winning team does it with an offense capable of moving the ball, throwing for 350+ (used to say 300, but 400 now easily done)?   The Bills FO drafted a big-armed QB, trading up and taking him at #7 to do so. 

Unfortunately they failed to put a good OL in front of him and good WR around him.  He's kind of like an engine on a car with no wheels and no fuel right now.

Also like an engine, he needs a tune-up and a break-in period.  Did it escape your attention that vs. the Packers, when they were trying to run a downfield game, Allen was sacked 7 times, fumbled once, and threw 2 picks?   He won't last at that rate.  He's a very raw rookie with known mechanical issues who was widely believed to benefit from sitting a full year and working on his mechanics/learning his reads on the scout team.  Only he's starting now.  If you put him out there to identify blitzers, make his reads, and move the ball downfield every week, he's gonna throw for 151 yds but net 87 and get the crap beaten out of him.

I'd rather watch a game where the Bills try to own the LOS, run the ball, and set up Allen to succeed with a limited passing game as vs Titans or to put it another way, offered the choice between 151 passing yards but net 87 while watching our brand new shiny QB get beaten to hell, vs. 82 passing yards net 79 whilst watching Daboll pants the opposition D by running over them while our QB stays clean and throws just enough to win it, I'm for the latter.

My suggestion is that you learn a bit more about the chess game Daboll played with the opponents D last week.  When you understand a bit about it, it was really quite fascinating.  They stacked the box and dared us to pass.  Daboll said "running anyway, BEEP BEEP" and stuck it to them with the help of great blocking, McCoy, and a few timely passes.  Mosey on over to the All-22 thread and check out Cover1's stuff.  Oh heck here. 

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/209792-bills-vs-titans-all-22-coaches-film-reviews/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-5385907

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hello???!!!????  It is 2018, the genie is out of the bottle.  There are a lot of games from 1975 on Youtube and you can watch your 14-10 defensive battles (sure you don't remember every game or result).  Sure the 1986 Chicago Bears season too can be watched.

Don't you get it that even the best defenses get torched by great offenses.  The Rams & Chiefs are just so bad to watch..... 

NFL ratings are up because of Offense.....  Maybe your fantasy teams are all defense.

For those who love D so much, maybe you should devise a Fantasy league based on Defense and that you choose only one Offensive player/team and get to draft, Clowney, Watt, Norman, Mack & other Defensive stars.... 

15 passes a game from Allen????? 

Enough already!!!!!

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Hello???!!!????  It is 2018, the genie is out of the bottle.  There are a lot of games from 1975 on Youtube and you can watch your 14-10 defensive battles (sure you don't remember every game or result).  Sure the 1986 Chicago Bears season too can be watched.

Don't you get it that even the best defenses get torched by great offenses.  The Rams & Chiefs are just so bad to watch..... 

NFL ratings are up because of Offense.....  Maybe your fantasy teams are all defense.

For those who love D so much, maybe you should devise a Fantasy league based on Defense and that you choose only one Offensive player/team and get to draft, Clowney, Watt, Norman, Mack & other Defensive stars.... 

15 passes a game from Allen????? 

Enough already!!!!!

You root for entertainment vs. the Bills.   Bills fans come to this site. Fans that root for their team to win.  Don't you get it?

Enough from you already.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You root for entertainment vs. the Bills.   Bills fans come to this site. Fans that root for their team to win.  Don't you get it?

Enough from you already.

Actually enough of you......  The Bills have not been a winning team for pretty much 18 years, and their offence putrid for almost every one of those years.... 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually enough of you......  The Bills have not been a winning team for pretty much 18 years, and their offence putrid for almost every one of those years.... 

If you do not want to root for the Bills, then leave the site.   This is supposed to be a site for fans that want their team to win.

You want to be entertained go see a movie.

52 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If you do not want to root for the Bills, then leave the site.   This is supposed to be a site for fans that want their team to win.

You want to be entertained go see a movie.

I'll take wanting to watch an exciting, high scoring Bills team over a movie...and myself...I'll be HAPPY to keep posting asking/looking for it on this forum.

The ONLY way I'd even accept a Bills team that is low scoring (and as boring to watch) as this offense is...if the Defense were all-world and they won 11-12 games per year with that elite D unit. Short of that...and I'm going to want the Bills offense to look a LOT better.  I'm sick of low-scoring, plodding offense team that average 7 wins per year.  For entertainment, I want BOTH, Bills wins AND a lot more offense, and there are many of us who are fans of the Bills that feel the same way.

BTW, is there a list of the rules of the forum that I  missed that say if we criticize the Bills, because as fans we want more than what we are seeing...that we should leave the forum?  I'd like to see that if I missed it.

50 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'll take wanting to watch an exciting, high scoring Bills team over a movie...and myself...I'll be HAPPY to keep posting asking/looking for it on this forum.

The ONLY way I'd even accept a Bills team that is low scoring (and as boring to watch) as this offense is...if the Defense were all-world and they won 11-12 games per year with that elite D unit. Short of that...and I'm going to want the Bills offense to look a LOT better.  I'm sick of low-scoring, plodding offense team that average 7 wins per year.  For entertainment, I want BOTH, Bills wins AND a lot more offense, and there are many of us who are fans of the Bills that feel the same way.

BTW, is there a list of the rules of the forum that I  missed that say if we criticize the Bills, because as fans we want more than what we are seeing...that we should leave the forum?  I'd like to see that if I missed it.

Criticism is one thing.  Rooting for them to lose is another.

You don't want to watch don't.  For me the fourth quarter last week was very exciting and those who understand the game would say the same.

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Criticism is one thing.  Rooting for them to lose is another.

You don't want to watch don't.  For me the fourth quarter last week was very exciting and those who understand the game would say the same.

I don't want them to lose. I want them to win.  I'll take a boring win over a boring loss, but what I am really looking for is an exciting, up-and-down the field win.

Just because some of us like scoring and football where the offense is in control of the tempo does not make us people who do not understand the game. In all sports, poeple who don't like defensive battles are people who 'dont understand the game' is one of the oldest, laziest arguments around.

And again a win today and McDermott would have doubled down on their bend but do not break defense and unimaginative offense for another 5-6 weeks.......  Houston has sucked all year scoring points (though moving the ball) and a decent offense would have scored 30 points on them.

Just look at the Play by Play and again just pathetic.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030748