We All Know The Bills Issues....Now Share Your Solutions

BuffaloRush

5 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

While it’s too early to tell for Allen, I agree with trying to trade shady for a pick. Regardless of whether Allen pans out or not, draft offense, give him a crew and if he doesn’t pan out, let’s hope the next guy we bring in can get right to work with the weapons we built. Build a WR corps and an Oline that can perform at an NFL level each week.

Address defense in FA as much as possible. We desperately need depth in our secondary - a stout DB2 is an absolute next to White. Depth is always needed at that position but our holes are obvious. Contributory to that is need to fill out the DLine. While Edmunds develops we need consistent pass rush pressure and run stoppage, but it needs to start on the line.

We are in the "year to late" situation for Trading Shady.  He is no longer worth his contract expense. This does not mean he is a bad player. It means he has no trade value. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

Once again, a team with just about nothing but holes, I'm glad I'm not 

GM. It' like groundhog day, they lose horribly multiple times, somehow

get a win, go on to lose horribly multiple time, meanwhile pats lose a game

people bury them, the next week they look superbowl bound.

Next, bills will win 5 meaningless games  to knock them down to the 10th pick,

where they draft a wr who goes somewhere else bacause he has no one to throw to

him.

Rinse, repeat.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You could make that statement about the starting QB for every team in the league and you'd be right more than you'd be wrong.  You may be right about Allen, the odds are in your favor, but the one thing I do know for certain is you have absolutely no idea yourself whether he will work out to be great or not, but you think you know more than people who do this for a living and the odds are in your favor of being correct.

The people who do this for a living have horrible track records if you bother to look into it.

They make huge mistakes every draft year, which is why it's a horrible idea to ever trade UP in a draft.  Always trade down and increase the # of picks you get, b/c that's all you can control.  How these players turn out is a crap shoot.

I agree I don't have a definitive idea of how Allen is going to play out, but I can analyze the indicators, look at history with other QBs, watch his development to date, etc.

Bills fans right now have totally forgotten that Allen was--and remains--a long shot project type player who is unlikely to succeed at the NFL level, as you seem to agree.  I have seen nothing to suggest he will prove better than that. 

If we genuinely end up with a top 3 pick next year, I think it would be disastrous to NOT take another top QB prospect.

If they both look really good (both QBs) we can trade one of them.  If they don't, we can keep the good one.  If both bust, at least we tried and we can select a 3rd QB in the following draft.

I think there is virtually no chance the administration will actually do that, however, and that is because they are making decisions for their jobs, and not the good of the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

I'd say bench Miller, elevate Teller and the guy they just brought in. Let them battle it out for that position.

as far as game planning goes, focus more on quick-hitter routes, flat passes and running the ball.

also, i'd take the sheet away from frasier full time and have mcD make the d calls

.......why not?......the Lewis kid got pressed into service and showed up.......same for Taron Johnson.......as far as "game planning" goes, it's like if "the plan" ain't working, oh well....we are absolutely terrible with adjusting and/or counter punching.......thought Daboll was to be innovative, but so far it is Dabumble.......

34 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Guys, he mentions what can be done NOW. We all know drafts and all and etc.

To me, much better offensive play calling. Small passes to the flats, reverses, 2 back sets, more involvement of the TE, basically mask some of the weaknesses of the OLine and get Allen and the offense into a groove. Don't ditch the run. Have a few max protection plays for deep throws to have the opposing defenses always wary of Allen's arm. A LOT of things went right last week, but many of the successes can be reproduced too! 

Need much better coaching to adapt to blitzes! Sure Allen has misses some assignment calls, but the OLine has been guilty too, and mostly, when have the wideouts/TE changed their routes  to be a quick dump off? 

With the salary cap left, no WR they can sign? Bryant is a diva but maybe can be had for just the reminder of the year.

Define "now" in the context of this thread.

Does that mean the next 5 minutes?   This week?  This month?  This year?

I think "now" should mean "this season".  What actions can be taken maybe immediately but maybe later this season.  That's still pretty near term in the grand scheme of things.

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Start playing all the young players on Offense instead of Clay, Benjamin, Ducasse, et al. Same on D. See if any of them are at least decent backups. No real help is coming from outside this year. 

...ad nauseam makes me harken back to my despised days of Dopey Dickie Jauron and his unwavering luvfest for veteran players......."rooks gotta earn their stripes".....how?.....prime example was Anthony A-Trainwreck" Johnson......we were first and goal from the one and he calls "Anthony's" number THREE times.....nothin'.....all the while FredEx was ridin' the pine......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Continue to bottom out, secure #1 overall pick, and select a guy who can be our franchise QB.

Allen isn't the answer.

For now, I realize most will disagree with that and the point is certainly debatable.

As time goes on, that will change. 

EDIT:  liquidate Shady if we can get a draft pick for him.  Trade any other veteran we can get draft picks for as well.  Guys like shady will not be contributors here if and when we are good. 

No point in trading McCoy, not much value...he has been nearly invisible.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

So many posts hear about the many struggles that the bills have had this season. It’s very easy to point out what the problems are with this team. But the bigger question is how do you fix these problems.  so many posts hear about the many struggles that the bills have had this season. It’s very easy to point out what the problems are with this team. But the bigger question is how do you fix these problems?

Let’s start with the offense of line. The play for many of the games this year have been offensive. But again how do you fix this problem? Many have suggested taking Connor McDermitt and using him to replace Jordan Matthews. How about removing John Miller and replacing him with Wyatt Teller? But as you saw today when McDermott was there he was absolutely owned off the edge. So how do you fix the offense of line?

Bills quite possibly have the worst wide receivers in the NFL. They either are invisible Zay Jones nine factors like Andre Holmes or drop passes when they get a chance to make a play like Kelvin Benjamin. So what’s the solution here? Do you honestly think that Rishard Matthews could give this receiving team a boost? And would you try to draft pick to bring him on the team? What is the solution at wide receiver?

Remember I’m looking for solutions for this season. We’re not talking next year. So any suggestions that you have make have to occur over the span of the next few weeks.

And any suggestions that you may have to be realistic. It’s not like you can just trade for a Julio Jones.

So take a chance and come up with the best plan for the Bills moving forward

Everyone wants to whinge but no one has a good, realistic solution.

What are the solutions at this point?  Are there 2 pro-bowl caliber OLinemen hanging out on the waiver wire or FA market?

Are any real receiving threats hanging out on the Waiver Wire or FA market?

The answers will come in the offseason other than potentially going max protect on long passing downs

First we need to figure out whether the current regime knows what it’s doing.  If not, then they should not be put in charge of fixing the current mess.

In today’s NFL it’s almost impossible to create an offense as inept as the one we’ve got right now.  It almost requires acts of intentional sabatoge.  Hell, the 49ers just put up 27 points with C.J. Beatherd at the helm.   The Browns put up more than 40 points on the road with a rookie QB.  And let’s not even talk about what the Chiefs and Texans are doing with the QBs we passed on a year ago.

Finally, someone needs to be held accountable for assembling a seive of an o-line and the worst receiving corps in the league—maybe in modern NFL history. I think it would be a stretch to think McDermott and Beane know how to fix it.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The OP raises a great question but the answers are clear:

1) Trade DOWN in the 2019 draft. Face it folks, we will have a very early pick. Trade down with a desperate team and acquire extra early picks for 2 years.

2) Use said picks on blockers and receivers. Imo we have a quarterback, unless of course he is slaughtered.

3) After #2, get rid Ducasse, along with the right side of the OL and start over with NFL caliber talent. Also, is there a wr on the squad that belongs in the NFL? I don't know, you tell me.

4) If Allen suffers even a minor injury in 2018, take him out and immediately replace him with Petermann. It doesn't matter if we lose. Not this year because in 2019, we have a chance to accomplish something.

5) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

First we need to figure out whether the current regime knows what it’s doing.  If not, then they should not be put in charge of fixing the current mess.

In today’s NFL it’s almost impossible to create an offense as inept as the one we’ve got right now.  It almost requires acts of intentional sabatoge.  Hell, the 49ers just put up 27 points with C.J. Beatherd at the helm.   The Browns put up more than 40 points on the road with a rookie QB.  And let’s not even talk about what the Chiefs and Texans are doing with the QBs we passed on a year ago.

Finally, someone needs to be held accountable for assembling a seive of an o-line and the worst receiving corps in the league—maybe in modern NFL history. I think it would be a stretch to think McDermott and Beane know how to fix it.

Well, it seems the we you are referring to are the Pegulas. I’ve got to think this regime gets 3 years, but they may not know what they are doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I'd say bench Miller, elevate Teller and the guy they just brought in. Let them battle it out for that position.

as far as game planning goes, focus more on quick-hitter routes, flat passes and running the ball.

also, i'd take the sheet away from frasier full time and have mcD make the d calls

You didnt think the defense was fine the last 2 weeks?

2 hours ago, WMDman said:

Draft aj brown or best OL available 

Trade shady and sign jay ajayi

sign a bunch of fa WR/OL

I'm saying either AJ or Marquis Brown. Both make a high difference

2 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Last week we saw more motion, play action and other attempts to take advantage of off balance.   This offense needs to find way to gtenshady the ball, run more screens , pitches and quick developing passes 

At last a comment on what can be done NOW. 

And the "fire everybody" crowd, great thinking (sarcarsm). Easy to fire people but then you need replacements that very few of you suggest.

As for Mahomes, many teams passed on him like it happens to 95% of great players in this league so can it, especially since most people saying so are commenting now that he is having success, not saying so last year. On the other hand, the critics for not addressing the OLine and WR spots, now that's quite on the money and deserved.

Theres no quick fix but it starts with talent acquisition ..the defence could still use more playmakers..but the offence is in dire need of a complete overhaul..mc/beane decided to get rid of the players from Whaley's regime fine but then why trot out your rookie QB with the worst group of wrs as a group that I've possibly ever seen and a oline devoid of talent minus Dawkins . The strength of the team should be running the ball but McCoy has nowhere to go because the oline gets no push.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

So basically what you are saying is, take you lumps this season and focus on 2019?

There's nothing that can be done this season.  Even if the Bills had more cap space, there are virtually no quality players available, and even if there were, McDermott and Beane wouldn't go for them unless they were rejects from Carolina.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Just trust the process. We have what management thinks is our qb. Now let's use those 10 draft picks to continue with the process.

Why would any rational person "trust" McDermott and Beane to fix the disaster that they themselves created?

52 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Too late for that ,we are just going to have suffer through until next year.

what we should have done was surround Allen with talent and worry about the defense next year.

That's what a competent HC/GM duo would have done.  Instead, McDermott and Beane stripped virtually all the talent from the offense, and put Allen in a position that sets him up to fail.  The Bills need to significantly upgrade the OL by adding at least a couple of higher caliber interior OLers in FA.  They need all new WRs.  They need a starting caliber RB.  What I expect the Dynamic Duo of McDermott and Beane to do in the off-season is to spend most of their FA money and draft capital on the defensive side of the ball.

19 minutes ago, McNubbins said:

Tank, wait this season out, in the off-season draft offense and spend our money on actual talent.

"Tank" assumes that the Bills could win but don't try.  Sadly, that isn't the case.  Unless they catch teams being over-confident as the Vikings were, they're essentially  dead meat every game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well, it seems the we you are referring to are the Pegulas. I’ve got to think this regime gets 3 years, but they may not know what they are doing. 

Yes.  I know everyone says they get at least 3 years, but how does anyone competent put together an offense like this one in this day and age?

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

McDermott calls play 100% of time... More short passes early and easy completions to get Allens confidence up... How about a naked bootleg? More screens.... Then start pounding Ivory once we get in a rythm... then start pounding Shady... it's all on the offense... The line is stonger when we're in a rythm... they displayed it last week. I put it on Daboll.

Edited by akcash

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yes.  I know everyone says they get at least 3 years, but how does anyone competent put together an offense like this one in this day and age?

According to the Bills cheerleaders on TSW, McDermott and Beane should get at least 5 years, maybe even 10, no matter how incompetent they prove to be.

Screens, screens and more screens. Get Shady the ball and sign a veteran QB.  At this point I don't think this regime will do anything.  If the staff did not think to cut Peterman and bring in a veteran after the first game then it shows me they do not care about this season at all.  I knew this would be a horrible season but the problem I have is they are in danger of ruining Allen if they don't make some changes.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

According to the Bills cheerleaders on TSW, McDermott and Beane should get at least 5 years, maybe even 10, no matter how incompetent they prove to be.

Last year McDermott looked like a decent coach, but their team building has been atrocious. 

They came on the job, got rid of all our best players, replaced them with bums and have mostly used all our draft picks on horrible players, and the result is one of the worst rosters in the league. 

They have one more year to improve things. If this roster isn't significantly better at the end of 2019 we need to pull the plug on this experiment. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think we can safely say that if and when Josh Allen busts, they will both be gone, and that’s as it should be.  Unfortunately, they have set him up to fail spectacularly.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

At last a comment on what can be done NOW. 

And the "fire everybody" crowd, great thinking (sarcarsm). Easy to fire people but then you need replacements that very few of you suggest.

As for Mahomes, many teams passed on him like it happens to 95% of great players in this league so can it, especially since most people saying so are commenting now that he is having success, not saying so last year. On the other hand, the critics for not addressing the OLine and WR spots, now that's quite on the money and deserved.

Couldn’t disagree more on Mahomes. Now, I wanted the Bills to take Watson there, but that’s beside the point. It is absolutely egregious to pass on a good QB . For no good reason other than  your organization has done things backasswards by hiring a HC with a lame duck GM at the helm. One error becomes two and so on an so on. The OL and WR issues were brought about by their own cap problems, even if they were intended. Mahomes looks to have a better shot at being franchise than Allen right now, and that’s the fault of this HC and ownership. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

We don't think they'll get atleast 5 years....we know they'll get atleast 5 years.  DEAL WITH IT!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Last year McDermott looked like a decent coach, but their team building has been atrocious. 

They came on the job, got rid of all our best players, replaced them with bums and have mostly used all our draft picks on horrible players, and the result is one of the worst rosters in the league. 

They have one more year to improve things. If this roster isn't significantly better at the end of 2019 we need to pull the plug on this experiment. 

I agree.  McDermott is a decent coach but he should never have been given control of personnel.  Beane has absolutely no experience in player personnel, and the scouting staff brought in to replace the scouting personnel who were fired shortly after Whaley was canned are apparently incompetent.

Just now, SoTier said:

I agree.  McDermott is a decent coach but he should never have been given control of personnel.  Beane has absolutely no experience in player personnel, and the scouting staff brought in to replace the scouting personnel who were fired shortly after Whaley was canned are apparently incompetent.

This feels an awful lot like the debacles in Denver with McDaniels and Philly with Chip Kelly. 

Rookie head coaches with too much power who gutted their teams after the 1st year to bring in "their guys", who wound up with terrible rosters that couldn't compete for years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1