WR Rishard Matthews Done in Tennessee - Signed by the Jets

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

He's a mediocre receiver at best, a bit of a head case, and is having difficultly getting playing time with a group of wideouts that rivals ours in terms of terribleness. This is a classic "I've heard of him" thread.

Is there a chance that he is better than any of Andre Holmes,  Ray Ray McCloud, Zay Jones, Robert Foster?  If so, he is worth a look.  This team is in desperate need of help at the position and at this point of the season there isn't much to look at.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

He wants his release because lack of targets lol hes not going to get those in buffalo ether our wrs get like 2, 3 catches a game

Tyrod’s not the QB anymore, and the WR’s get 2 or 3 catches a game because they drop the rest. He’d be a #1 WR here. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Gotta start somewhere

They also found a Terrence McGee, a Stevie Johnson, a Karlos Williams, Ross Cockrell, Nigel Bradham, Da'Norris Searcy, Arthur Moats, Kyle Williams... This franchise is littered with getting sporadic good play out of late round guys. This is nothing new. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Its not a popular place for a FA WR to go so I would try to trade for him vs try to sign him on the open market 

The Bills have roughly $8.14 mill available under the cap this year according to Spotrac.

Matthews has a $5 mill base salary. If the Bills traded for him, say next week, after game four, they'd have to pay him $3.75 mill against the cap. I don't see this happening, as it would leave them too little for injury pickups. 

Not impossible, but not a fiscally conservative move, and those are the kind they seem determined to make this year.

If the Titans do release him as he says they will, what kind of contract would he demand / sign? I'd guess he might demand a one-year contract for similar money and get it somewhere. Maybe the Bills could finagle a deal that would be cap-friendly this year but more costly the next few? Would they do that and cut into their cap windfall next year? I don't know, maybe if they really like the guy, but I don't see this happening. We'll see, I guess.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Let's bring him in so he can quit at halftime.  In that way we can add HIS half to Vontae's half and we got ourselves a FULL game before retirement and the world is right again!!

Since Buffalo again has been the brunt of jokes....this time for a guy who retires at halftime, it would be clever to sign a guy but keep it hush hush....then trot him out after the half. He doesn't have to even play much....just give the media something to have fun with.

Edited by The Process
Sp

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

They also found a Terrence McGee, a Stevie Johnson, a Karlos Williams, Ross Cockrell, Nigel Bradham, Da'Norris Searcy, Arthur Moats, Kyle Williams... This franchise is littered with getting sporadic good play out of late round guys. This is nothing new. 

McGee was hardly sporadic

These Bills receivers are the worst group I can ever remember.  Butter fingers, stone hands, and no hands describe this group.  This guy can't be any worse.  I still would like to see them pickup Tanner Gentry though.

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We will probably try out a 5th string D lineman or a Linebacker that can play special teams instead. We are trying to find out about a rookie Qb by giving him the worst WR group in recent NFL history. If there is any team in the league that should be aggressively pursuing WRs, it’s us. I just don’t expect it.

What receivers signed within the past 3 weeks would have been your choice(s)?  Gotta add guys who you think are worth it. 

7 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

I mean they "could" for sure... but if they are going to flat out release him, why not trade him for at least SOMETHING.

I think the new tactic is tell the league you're going to release a guy and then wait for teams to come calling.

6 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Matthews dropped one of  sixty six catchable balls last year. Notice where these balls are placed before ripping a qb on his accuracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdI6FXHSto

He'd easily be the best receiver on the team.  Pretty impressive grabs.

• Like (+1) 1