Shaq Lawson - Part of the problem, or a piece of the puzzle?

KOKO NFL

3 hours ago, skibum said:

While he's not proving to be worthy of his high draft position, I think he's a certainly good enough player to keep in the rotation. They can't all be pro-bowlers. And who knows, he has the natural talent to become a really good player if it clicks for him. 

Nope, they can't all be pro-bowlers.

In fact, not a one on the team will be even close to making the pro bowl.

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Watch what Hughs did in the second half vs. the Chargers. He's not an elite pass rusher, but he is legit. Shaq does not get anywhere near the pressure Hughs gets. Not even close. He is a weak point in the defense, just like whomever plays opposite Tre White will likely be a weak point that will be exploited by the Vikes. That makes Shaq Lawson part of the problem.

Hughes also loses contain all the time. Someone has to set the edge, so this is where we are stuck. This team is seriously lacking players who can do multiple things well. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Injury history is s concern now.  But he sets the edge well against the run, and I can see him helping by moving inside as an interior rusher on passing downs

i think this is the best way to use him, especially if his snaps are limited coming back from injury. i think trent murphy is getting into a groove and will be a major player opposite jerry.

i also can't wait to see what nate orchard can do.   if we have huges/yarborough  and murphy/orchard start playing at a high level, we could have a damn good front 4 going forward.

It's perfectly fine for Lawson to be the 5th-best defensive lineman. Right now he's about as mediocre as Star/Kyle (at this stage in his career), which unfortunately makes him c. the 2nd-best front four player on the Bills. I don't mind keeping him going forward, but we're going to have to draft on both sides of the lines and maybe go after someone like Golden Tate.

Well what did we expect everything else that Rex did while he was here was a total dysfunctional mess why should his draft choices be thought of as anything less ? 

I was hoping the way he was being talked about this season coming into camp that he would prove to be a good player for the team but it seems as though he will be nothing more than a depth player & a possible trading chip for McD to grab a good player or draft pick some where else down the line !! 

13 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Watch what Hughs did in the second half vs. the Chargers. He's not an elite pass rusher, but he is legit. Shaq does not get anywhere near the pressure Hughs gets. Not even close. He is a weak point in the defense, just like whomever plays opposite Tre White will likely be a weak point that will be exploited by the Vikes. That makes Shaq Lawson part of the problem.

Exactly! Even with all time great Bruce Smith across from him Shaq wouldn’t be much better because he can’t beat guys 1 on 1. At least not nearly enough to be a force! Decent against the run but at this level you need to do both to some degree!

As far as I’m concerned Alexander needs to be at LDE !!! Rotation with Murphy and Hughes. 

Shaq is part of the problem.

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

This being his third year,  like most draft picks, if he hasn’t shown it yet, he’s probably never going to at this point. He strikes me as a placeholder, nothing more. McDermott needs pressure from four rushers and Lawson can’t bring that element. 

perhaps Lawson moves inside after Williams retires and you have Lawson (ok) Star (ok) and Phillips (should be a stud).   Not terrible DT rotation, IMO.  Put someone like Bosa on the outside to bring pressure, and get another DE and you have a legit line.  

9 hours ago, Boludo said:

Nope, they can't all be pro-bowlers.

In fact, not a one on the team will be even close to making the pro bowl.

Tre White?   Edmunds could by the mid-end of the season.  

If we took Shaq in the 3rd round, everyone would be happy with his mediocre play.   He seems to be hungry this year, making more plays and getting better.  The injury bug hits that dude quite a bit though, going all the way back to Clemson.

He has the Donte Whitner "overdrafted" mountain to climb which I'm sure is no fun.   

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

perhaps Lawson moves inside after Williams retires and you have Lawson (ok) Star (ok) and Phillips (should be a stud).   Not terrible DT rotation, IMO.  Put someone like Bosa on the outside to bring pressure, and get another DE and you have a legit line.  

Tre White?   Edmunds could by the mid-end of the season.  

I can certainly see that in terms of situational rotations, but he would need to beef up to withstand the snap to snap rigors of that inside position. Considering he doesn't move very well at his current weight, I'd be concerned. But inside on passing downs? I think that's a good idea. 

I just want to see the kid healthy - him and Murphy. Chargers took us to school on outside runs and passes to the flats. While neither will likely be able to really cover the latter, it couldn't hurt to have someone who can set the edge on the other side while our LBs are learning and developing. Shaq as a first round pick? Unfortunate, but hopefully he becomes a solid rotation guy at least and we can gear his contract to reflect such given his injury history.

Cheaper team guys heading into next year that can fill solid roles and contribute will be vital to keeping our cap space open, while remaining baseline competitive. As important as those top skill position players are to pay and have on the roster, we need average to lower contract guys contributing if we're going to have a shot at being a perennial playoff contender.

Edited by ctk232

another 1st round pick wasted. Shaqs not garbage but his talent in hindsight wouldve been drafted in the 4th or 5th.

The kid waited till year 3 to slim down and try to step up his work ethic. For that I respect him but disappointed it took him so long to get that attitude.

Huge disappointment for where he was drafted, to being a JAG as a back up.

who else was on the board at 15 that year? lets jump into the misery