Alabama would beat the Buffalo Bills, 'analysts' say

Heavy Kevi

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This is all wrong imo. There are 53 guys on the Bills roster that belong in the NFL. Alabama has maybe 15. There are certainly NOT more future pro-bowlers on a college team than an NFL team (pro bowl a weird metric btw). I think the whole premise of this argument is completely off base.

There are not 53 guys on the Bills roster who belong in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

LOL.  Every now and again this comes up.  The idea that a phenomenal college team can beat a horrible NFL team.

It can't!  

These people forget that any NFL team is made up of collegiate all-stars and phenoms, and any college team including Alabama is not.

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Probably would be a good game honestly 

No it wouldn't be.

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

LOL.  Every now and again this comes up.  The idea that a phenomenal college team can beat a horrible NFL team.

It can't!  

These people forget that any NFL team is made up of collegiate all-stars and phenoms, and any college team including Alabama is not.

No it wouldn't be.

and several of the GOAT in the NFL did not play for a top school

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This is all wrong imo. There are 53 guys on the Bills roster that belong in the NFL. Alabama has maybe 15. There are certainly NOT more future pro-bowlers on a college team than an NFL team (pro bowl a weird metric btw). I think the whole premise of this argument is completely off base.

They had 12 drafted last year and another 6 (like Foster as UDFA).

I think that people are underestimating how many pros come from the truly great college programs. I pulled up the 2001 Hurricanes (who I think is a top 3 all-time team). I think that this Alabama team could be in that conversation. That 2001 Miami team had 39 guys DRAFTED and something like a dozen that played in at least one Pro Bowl. 2001 Miami

My point is and has been that any NFL team will beat a great college team because the players are more developed. That does not mean that the NFL team has more talented players.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There are not 53 guys on the Bills roster who belong in the NFL. 

They belong by default. They're there. Some are on the low end of the spectrum. Fact remains that all 53 are NFL players.

Alabama players drafted into the pros will be similarly categorized, some very good and some not very good. Difference being there will only be about 12 of them.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They had 12 drafted last year and another 6 (like Foster as UDFA).

I think that people are underestimating how many pros come from the truly great college programs. I pulled up the 2001 Hurricanes (who I think is a top 3 all-time team). I think that this Alabama team could be in that conversation. That 2001 Miami team had 39 guys DRAFTED and something like a dozen that played in at least one Pro Bowl. 2001 Miami

My point is and has been that any NFL team will beat a great college team because the players are more developed. That does not mean that the NFL team has more talented players.

A developed NFL regular is better than a college kid every day of the week

the college kid has potential and most have to be totally re-sculptured by the pro game before they can get onto the field, if they ever had a chance in the first place

go watch them have to teach a WR how to play the pro game at rookie training camp

• Like (+1) 1

Bills would win by 45 lmao ? Is this ******* serious?

disrespectful to the Bills and The NFL... Bama has 90+ on their roster and 60+ will NEVER PLAY IN THE LEAGUE

Bills have 53+ NFL players who would beat the **** out of Those 20 year olds if given the chance 

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

why does this story come out every year?

An nfl offensive line(even the bills current one)  would look hall of fame quality against a college team

An NFL defensive line would too against a college offensive line.

college fans get a big whoop from curbstomping 4 cupcakes and think this makes them gods

18 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

In a perfect scenario, ex. 2001 Miami Hurricanes Vs 2008 Detroit Lions, I think it could be closer than expected. 

Just relegate the bottom feeders to play the National Champs and see what happens! 

what will they play for?

money?

a spot on a roster?

2001 Miami, that really wasn't that big a deal of a team

I wish this would happen so the notion that somehow an NFL team loses to a college team is put to rest. Saban has already proven he struggles to beat NFL teams with an NFL roster, I really don't see him doing ti with a college roster.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

what will they play for?

money?

a spot on a roster?

2001 Miami, that really wasn't that big a deal of a team

What all things revolve around in the US of A. Cold hard cash!

2001 Miami was arguably the most talented roster ever fielded. 70% of that roster was eventually drafted, including 17 first round picks.  

If they gave Portis, McGahee and Gore 20 carries each, they might stand a chance! 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

The serious point here, and Kirby has made it better than my slightly tongue in cheek take, is that a programme like Alabama has a lot of talented kids on its roster. 12 a year over 3 years is 36. I think that is around the number of genuine bona fide NFL on this current roster. We are severely undertalented. Now that doesn't mean 19 and 20 year old guys would beat experienced, grown men but if you look at the rosters for pure talent.... the Bills are not that far ahead. This team looks like a bad team because it has a lot of not very good football players on it. 

I understand why. I mentioned it way back on page 1 when I started this provocating this discussion. Alabama gets a relative pick of the litter out of college. This Bills roster is, for draft, rebuild and salary cap reasons, nowhere close to pick of the litter.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

They belong by default. They're there. Some are on the low end of the spectrum. Fact remains that all 53 are NFL players.

Alabama players drafted into the pros will be similarly categorized, some very good and some not very good. Difference being there will only be about 12 of them.

I am sorry I don't agree that they are NFL standard players by default. Completely opposite perspective to how I look at things.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry I don't agree that they are NFL standard players by default. Completely opposite perspective to how I look at things.

Maybe you are making a point that i am missing but are you saying that a player can in the NFL who is not NFL quality? I am sorry but that makes no sense.

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Can I book this bet for you? You take 12 guys on Alabama’s roster to be in the NFL and I’ll take the over. You name the stakes. I’ll even give you 2:1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Maybe you are making a point that i am missing but are you saying that a player can in the NFL who is not NFL quality? I am sorry but that makes no sense.

1A315BB5-23D7-4499-93AE-0E6D049A9759.jpeg

The serious point here, and Kirby has made it better than my slightly tongue in cheek take, is that a programme like Alabama has a lot of talented kids on its roster. 12 a year over 3 years is 36. I think that is around the number of genuine bona fide NFL on this current roster. We are severely undertalented. Now that doesn't mean 19 and 20 year old guys would beat experienced, grown men but if you look at the rosters for pure talent.... the Bills are not that far ahead. This team looks like a bad team because it has a lot of not very good football players on it. 

I understand why. I mentioned it way back on page 1 when I started this provocating this discussion. Alabama gets a relative pick of the litter out of college. This Bills roster is, for draft, rebuild and salary cap reasons, nowhere close to pick of the litter.

That’s why I used the 2001 Miami team as the example. They are historically great but this ‘Bama team may be too. They had 39 guys drafted!! They probably had a dozen or so in the Pro Bowl and a few in the HOF. That’s way ahead of where our roster is. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can I book this bet for you? You take 12 guys on Alabama’s roster to be in the NFL and I’ll take the over. You name the stakes. I’ll even give you 2:1

I’m guessing there is some confusion here? Are we saying 12 guys in the next draft? Or 12 guys currently enrolled at Bama? That’s 4-5 years worth of drafts, which makes ALL the difference. 

I’m not sure everyone is on the same page here. 

Just now, Augie said:

I’m guessing there is some confusion here? Are we saying 12 guys in the next draft? Or 12 guys currently enrolled at Bama? That’s 4-5 years worth of drafts, which makes ALL the difference. 

I’m 99% sure that people think there are like 12 guys enrolled at Alabama that will be on NFL roster. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m 99% sure that people think there are like 12 guys enrolled at Alabama that will be on NFL roster. 

I think you could add the .9%. Can they do that every year for the next 4-5? Like the Pats, I wouldn’t bet against them until they show a chink. Over 4-5 years you have enough for an NFL roster. But some of those future guys are just kids now not ready to play with men. 

Since you contributed to provoking this discussion you fall in the disreputable class of being a provocateur. Your instigating nature needs to be tamed. :devil:

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think you could add the .9%. Can they do that every year for the next 4-5? Like the Pats, I wouldn’t bet against them until they show a chink. Over 4-5 years you have enough for an NFL roster. But some of those future guys are just kids now not ready to play with men. 

People think that less than a dozen guys at Alabama will be in the NFL. I’d bet every dime that I own on the over. 

The Bills win EASILY though. The high end talent though (long-term) is better at ‘Bama. That’s kind of the point. There are future stars there. We may have a few in Allen, Edmunds and certainly White. The point that I think Gunner and I are trying to make is that there are 30+ guys on that roster that will be in the NFL. There is probably not many more guys on this current Bills roster that belong in the NFL. Is Connor McDermott an NFL talent? Ike Boettger? Deon Lacey? Ryan Lewis? The last 20 or so guys on the Bills roster are not necessarily better than 20 guys just out of the league. They just happen to have a relationship, a good attitude or something along those lines.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

13 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

This is silliness. I know it’s said in hyperbole, but the gap between the best college team of all time and ANY NFL team is astronomical. Remember that even all time great college teams that had multiple future NFL players are years behind NFL teams in their player development if nothing else.

Edited by vincec

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

1A315BB5-23D7-4499-93AE-0E6D049A9759.jpeg

That’s why I used the 2001 Miami team as the example. They are historically great but this ‘Bama team may be too. They had 39 guys drafted!! They probably had a dozen or so in the Pro Bowl and a few in the HOF. That’s way ahead of where our roster is. 

Do you believe that ray lewis as a college player was equal to ray lewis 6 years i to his career? Or that oline would be equal to what they became? I can not beleive you think you can compare what they became to what they are in college. Tebow was a better college qb than aaron rodgers- the game is very different and the pro game is much faster and little is the same.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Do you believe that ray lewis as a college player was equal to ray lewis 6 years i to his career? Or that oline would be equal to what they became? I can not beleive you think you can compare what they became to what they are in college. Tebow was a better college qb than aaron rodgers- the game is very different and the pro game is much faster and little is the same.

You find ANY place where I say that guys at 19 are the same as 25. I’ve REPEATEDLY said that a college team couldn’t beat an NFL team. It would be 2 scores or more. You clearly haven’t been paying attention. The point was that when this Alabama roster gets to 25 (like that 2001 Miami team) there will be stars. That 2001 Miami team couldn’t have beaten an NFL team. If you took every guy on that roster though, in their prime, it could have been a really good team (even with Dorsey). No one is talking about 19 and 20 year olds beating men.

6 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

I wish they would let them play a game... Just to shut them up. How stupid can you be to think any college team has a snowballs chance in hell against an NFL team? It's absurd...

They used to have the nfl champion play a college all star team which would be amazing to watch now.  I think it ended like in the 70s.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You're giving me 2:1 on 12 Bama players going pro when they've averaged less than 10 guys drafted a year for the last 8 years? If I wasn't clear, I was talking about per draft, not in total.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

People think that less than a dozen guys at Alabama will be in the NFL. I’d bet every dime that I own on the over. 

The Bills win EASILY though. The high end talent though (long-term) is better at ‘Bama. That’s kind of the point. There are future stars there. We may have a few in Allen, Edmunds and certainly White. The point that I think Gunner and I are trying to make is that there are 30+ guys on that roster that will be in the NFL. There is probably not many more guys on this current Bills roster that belong in the NFL. Is Connor McDermott an NFL talent? Ike Boettger? Deon Lacey? Ryan Lewis? The last 20 or so guys on the Bills roster are not necessarily better than 20 guys just out of the league. They just happen to have a relationship, a good attitude or something along those lines.

Off the top of my head, here's the NFL players I'd consider 'stars' who went to Alabama (if I miss one let me know, this is from memory)- Julio Jones, Mark Barron, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper, Dont'a Hightower, Dareus, CJ Mosley. That's literally all I can think of. There are new guys like Humphrey and Fitzpatrick who might be good and might not be good, but they certainly aren't stars yet. If you have more list em. Anyway: that's about 7 guys drafted over 5 years (Jones '11 and Cooper '15)...maybe 1.5 NFL stars per given draft year from Alabama? And in a lot of these cases we're using 'star' pretty generously. Player for player I think it's crazy to say Alabama has more talent, or more future NFL stars, or whatever, than an NFL team. 

I was mostly responding originally to whoever said they thought Alabama would beat the Bills. It's laughable. Hughes would get about 15 sacks. McCoy would run for 250. Allen could throw lollipops to Benjamin while the oline pushes their guys into the tunnel. It would be a slaughter. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You're giving me 2:1 on 12 Bama players going pro when they've averaged less than 10 guys drafted a year for the last 8 years? If I wasn't clear, I was talking about per draft, not in total.

Off the top of my head, here's the NFL players I'd consider 'stars' who went to Alabama (if I miss one let me know, this is from memory)- Julio Jones, Mark Barron, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper, Dont'a Hightower, Dareus, CJ Mosley. That's literally all I can think of. There are new guys like Humphrey and Fitzpatrick who might be good and might not be good, but they certainly aren't stars yet. If you have more list em. Anyway: that's about 7 guys drafted over 5 years (Jones '11 and Cooper '15)...maybe 1.5 NFL stars per given draft year from Alabama? And in a lot of these cases we're using 'star' pretty generously. Player for player I think it's crazy to say Alabama has more talent, or more future NFL stars, or whatever, than an NFL team. 

I was mostly responding originally to whoever said they thought Alabama would beat the Bills. It's laughable. Hughes would get about 15 sacks. McCoy would run for 250. Allen could throw lollipops to Benjamin while the oline pushes their guys into the tunnel. It would be a slaughter. 

We aren’t talking each year. I am saying 30 guys on Alabama’s roster will be on an NFL roster. Some guys (like Tua) can’t even enter the draft.

I’d add Clinton-Dix and Ingram to the list. Ruben Foster too if he can stay out of trouble.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

That's obviously true. But there are 53 guys on the Bills roster who are on an NFL roster.

I know and 30 is conservative. 39 guys were drafted from the 2001 Miami team. That might be more drafted players than the Bills have. The last 20 or so guys are interchangeable. Is Robert Foster more of an NFL player than Jeremy Kerley? Peterman than Matt Moore? Andre Holmes than Brandon Reilly? You get the point. The line of “NFL player” vs. “non-NFL player” is often dependent on contract or preference. The bottom of the roster isn’t necessarily better or more deserving than some guys not on a roster.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Robert Foster is my point. Of those 30 Alabama guys, how many are going to be bottom-tier NFL players? If you read my post earlier, feel free to add on...I'm not seeing this mass of Alabama NFL stars you guy apparently are. 

He was a backup there too. He wasn’t a high end player. He was a redshirt senior that caught 14 balls last year. He will catch more than that this year on the Bills. IMO, he’s not a good example to support that point.