Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

At least we can start to figure out what we have in Allen. Hopefully, the experience he gets this year makes him a better quarterback for next year. If he is unable to handle the pressure, then he most likely was not meant to be a franchise quarterback. The good ones can carry a team and you generally see that early in their careers. Maybe David Carr just lacked the mental toughness required of a franchise quarterback.

-Peyton Manning played right away and took his lumps and ultimately was a much better quarterback in his second year.

-Andrew Luck stepped in right away to a Colts team that had won 1 game the previous year and made an immediate impact.

-Russell Wilson took over a below average Seattle team and made them a contender.

-RGIII had his best season as a rookie before injuries took their toll.

-On Monday night we saw how Darnold could elevate a Jets team on the road to a victory. Jets look to be decent with him and were thought to be a bottom feeder this year.

There are so many more examples of good quarterbacks coming in right away and not being ruined by the experience. There is no one way a team has to follow, but I prefer to throw them out there and see what they can handle. NFL Quarterback is such a demanding position and those demands never seem to end. Early on a young qb has to adapt to the speed and complexity of the game as well as just being a pro. As a franchise quarterback enters the middle of their careers more and more responsibilities are thrown upon them (usually less weapons on offense and/or defense as their salary eats up more cap, increased media and community obligations as they are face of the franchise). And at the back end of their careers the franchise quarterback has to learn to adapt their play to reduced physical skills and learn to deal with and have rapport with players that may be 10-15 years younger than themselves. The pressure never ends on a franchise quarterback so I think it is good to see how Allen begins to handle pressure. There will be struggles but how he responds to it is what will be most important.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, East TX Dan said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/12/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-josh-allen/

Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott is slated to speak to the media at 11:20 a.m. on Wednesday. It’s expected that he’ll announced his starting quarterback for his team’s Week 2 meeting and home opener against the Los Angeles Chargers.

However, there could be leak. According to ESPN’s Chris Mortenson, the Bills will start rookie quarterback Josh Allen.

I knew it! I couldn't report it because I know how this board is about thinking any inside information and Executive leaks from the Bills has to be fake news but holy crap! When I saw Chris Mortensen at Letchworth on Monday afternoon, I knew something was happening. Signed Randolph Rob

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not either, but that's the position the team's personnel choices since FA  and subsequent have placed us in.

It feels like this is happening not because the coaches think it's time but just because they are forced to. I really expected better 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Exactly...none of the Quarterbacks brought to camp were proven NFL starters. Peterman only has slightly more NFL experience than Josh Allen. How is Allen supposed to learn from that? Generally, when a rookie sits, they behind a proven NFL starter. There was no reason not to start Allen if the intent is to win.

Agreed. Also, I misunderstood the post I was responding to and the poster pointed that out for me. 

I do think they should bring in a vet. One, to be a good presence for Allen and two... I dunno if they can go back to Peterman if they had to. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Nate's final season as a Bill.