Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I was thinking this too, shades of the Indy snow game where he played well.

I hope you are talking about what i think you are talking about.

but i really am not sure. so before i judge two of you.

what might it be you are suggesting here ? not sure i even want to know

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Trent Edwards made one pass, one play, that made me sit up and take notice and get all excited about him - but for the life of me, I can't remember who it was against. 

It was late in the 4th. Bills were down and needed a first down to stay alive, or they were done. Edwards launched a beautiful ball down the left sideline in stride to - someone - and the Bills either kicked a FG to win or moved it in for a TD, I don't remember which. 

Dammit! I wish I could remember more of it...

So does he.

Until now thought the Bills could maybe keep this game close.

I'm not feeling that anymore. The Bills have too many weaknesses. And I think the Ravens will be motivated to beat up on the Bills in reaction to losing that playoff spot to them last year. They've got something to prove, and they have a better roster. I think it will be a beating in all phases, something like 34-10 Ravens over Bills. 

The Ravens are a team I hate to play when they come in unharolded.  They are being portrayed like some juggernaut that they are not.  Their offense has 0 playmakers and their Qb hasnt been good in 3 years.  If Peterman doesnt heavy up some arm punts like he is in LA, I expect Buffalo to easily cover and if not win the game out right.  

Qb Ravens by default

Backfield Bills

Wrs.  Push

Te Bills

Oline Ravens

Dline Push

Lb Ravens

Secondary Bills

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree with all of that. But Edwards was crushed his entire college career on a ****ty Stanford team, which is why, even though he was highly rated, he lasted until the third round. The consensus was that he was given no chance because he had a crappy line and he took a beating. He was fearless, I will give him that.

But watching him in the NFL, like NP, he just isn't any good under a strong rush. He got killed and ultimately concussed in the NFL not so much because it was unlucky or he took a really bad hit, but because he froze under a heavy rush, and was going to keep taking hit after hit after hit.

I was on here most of the time then with Trent, like I am now with Nate, saying he is likely never going to be good. And Trent had a much better arm than Nate. Not a great one but clearly stronger. He could throw that deep out.  

As for Edwards freezing under a heavy rush... that hit Edwards took in Arizona he stood fearlessly in the pocket and threw to Bills WR James Hardy for a first down. It was later on in his career that he looked slower and indecisive as concussions will do that to a player. Just google "Trent Edwards hit" and watch it. 

It's my belief that Trent Edwards was ruined from being drafted by a bad Buffalo team with bad coaches (OC Schonert), bad lines (Langston Walker missed that pick up on Wilson in Arizona) with a not so good receiving corps and a most horrid deep passing offensive scheme with little time to make those deep throws.

Most Bills fans will say that Edwards was a bad QB, to begin with, and that simply isn't true as at first, he was very bright, very accurate. If given time to throw he could get the job done and the biggest problem was that he simply didn't have the time in the pocket to complete those deep 5-7 step dropback plays that were called. Then when you have the RB's catching 75% and the WR's catching 50% or below and with little time to throw deep it's easy to see why Edwards was dumping the ball off to the RBs so often. 

Now fast forward to the present time to see that Nate Peterman might be in a similar situation to Edwards as the Bills are moving away from being a run-first offense to a pass-first offense with a bad O line. Because if the guy is given time in the pocket to make throws he looks competent. If not given enough time it could be like the 2017 Chargers all over again. The coaching of the offense might be much improved but the play calling doesn't help that much if the guy doesn't have at least two seconds to throw and his receivers aren't getting open.  

Then going back to a run-first scheme won't work as opponents have seen that the passing game isn't working so the Lbers move up to force the pass. The fact that the team doesn't have that running QB in Peterman. So he puts no fear in their hearts that he will break free for a big gain by running. Now queue the kid who did a lot of running in college where he was like a man among boys. The NFL is where the guys on the other side are bigger, stronger, faster. I've already seen Allen get sacked and thrown on his head against the Browns and go through a near concussion protocol against Cincy after five sacks in the first half alone. Allen went 6 of 12 for 34 yards in an entire half and was sacked for 39 yards.

The thing is we all watched how that Bills starting offensive line looked against the Browns, Bengals first string defenses in the preseason and Bills QBs rarely had two seconds to complete a pass. Then when the Bills QB did have time to throw the receivers weren't getting open or getting separation.  Without C Woods, LG Incognito this could be the very worst offensive line I've ever seen the Bills field and the very last thing I want to see is that #7 overall pick being indoctrinated into the NFL in a trial by fire...running for his life play after play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Trent Edwards made one pass, one play, that made me sit up and take notice and get all excited about him - but for the life of me, I can't remember who it was against. 

It was late in the 4th. Bills were down and needed a first down to stay alive, or they were done. Edwards launched a beautiful ball down the left sideline in stride to - someone - and the Bills either kicked a FG to win or moved it in for a TD, I don't remember which. 

Dammit! I wish I could remember more of it...

The only game that comes to mind was the Sean Taylor Redskins game where he hit Josh Reed in stride down the middle between four or so Skins to set up the game winning field goal.

3 minutes ago, BigSky said:

9/29/23 Flacco throws 5 picks and then whines and says it wasn’t the Bills playing well, he just sucked that day. Let’s hope history repeats itself and he can whine all he wants. Go Bills!

He put the blame on himself and you call that whining?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Tomorrow will be a nice test of Peterman's physical skills. Rain all day, 15mph wind with gusts to 25.

Run defense is going to play a big role on both sides obviously. 

Just watched the local news.  

Rain (some heavy) throughout the night and morning. 

Light rain from 11 to 3:30 and heavier rain at 4.  

Some say the Bills are the worst team. Will they shock the NFL by beating Ravens?

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

The Buffalo Bills are aware of the public perception as it relates to their chances of succeeding in 2018. In some circles, they have been determined to be the worst team in the NFL, and if you pay attention to the wise guys in Las Vegas, that’s what the odds say right now as the NFL season gets underway.

“Everybody has their opinion,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander told ESPN this week. “I don't think we've ever really had a lot of respect, obviously, in this local history with the Bills, as far as being respected nationally. And I think everybody feels like last year was a fluke and it's up to us and the guys in this locker room, coaches included, to put the work in and go out and prove everybody wrong.”

Here’s my preview of the season opener in Baltimore:

1. Can Nathan Peterman be a functional quarterback?
2. Is the Bills’ offensive line as bad as we all think it is?
3. Will the Bills be able to generate pressure on Joe Flacco?

MY PICK: Ravens 24, Bills 9.

5 Key Matchups: Bills vs. Ravens

Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott likes to preach that each and every one of his players must do their own job in order for the entire picture to come together. Each and every week there’s a bunch of matchups going on within the game that can make or break Buffalo.

With that, here are five key matchups to watch for during Bills vs Ravens on Sunday:

Ryan Groy vs. Ravens front-seven
Tremaine Edmunds vs. Joe Flacco
LeSean McCoy vs. CJ Mosley/ Kenny Young
Star Lotulelei vs. Ravens Interior O-line
Vontae Davis vs. John Brown

Per NFL Pickwatch, as of Saturday morning, a whopping 98 percent of league experts are picking the Baltimore Ravens to win Sunday’s season opener at M&T Bank Stadium.

The outliers? Bette Marston from the MMQB and Michael Dunlap from Fansided were the lone “expert” listed who picked Buffalo.

In addition to being heavily favored by the experts, Vegas like Baltimore in this one as well. According to the oddsmakers at OddsShark, the Ravens are 7.5-point favorites over the Bills.

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Tomorrow will be a nice test of Peterman's physical skills. Rain all day, 15mph wind with gusts to 25.

Run defense is going to play a big role on both sides obviously. 

Ivory and Dimarco in heavy formation...all day

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Some say the Bills are the worst team. Will they shock the NFL by beating Ravens?

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

The Buffalo Bills are aware of the public perception as it relates to their chances of succeeding in 2018. In some circles, they have been determined to be the worst team in the NFL, and if you pay attention to the wise guys in Las Vegas, that’s what the odds say right now as the NFL season gets underway.

“Everybody has their opinion,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander told ESPN this week. “I don't think we've ever really had a lot of respect, obviously, in this local history with the Bills, as far as being respected nationally. And I think everybody feels like last year was a fluke and it's up to us and the guys in this locker room, coaches included, to put the work in and go out and prove everybody wrong.”

Here’s my preview of the season opener in Baltimore:

1. Can Nathan Peterman be a functional quarterback?
2. Is the Bills’ offensive line as bad as we all think it is?
3. Will the Bills be able to generate pressure on Joe Flacco?

MY PICK: Ravens 24, Bills 9.

well that is encouraging. not like Sal is Nostradamus or anything though.
I expect a tough game from both sides and look forward to it !

1 hour ago, kdsarch said:

I think Peterman carves them up with mid field short yardage passes but with lots of yac. Then McCoy knocks them out with long runs up the middle. 

Bills win 24 10

Luv you Man !

27 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Per NFL Pickwatch, as of Saturday morning, a whopping 98 percent of league experts are picking the Baltimore Ravens to win Sunday’s season opener at M&T Bank Stadium.

The outliers? Bette Marston from the MMQB and Michael Dunlap from Fansided were the lone “expert” listed who picked Buffalo.

In addition to being heavily favored by the experts, Vegas like Baltimore in this one as well. According to the oddsmakers at OddsShark, the Ravens are 7.5-point favorites over the Bills.

It's a fair perspective from the national level. and even closer to home.
But no one knows what the Bills are bringing to game day. Most just see no superstars and hang their hats on Peterman past season.
That's silly.

They would have kept AJM if Bills did not feel they have a fair chance of winning with Nate at the Com.  : )
Go Bills !

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

<sigh> 

a Vegas point spread is not a prediction of who will win the game. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Don't worry 26, Bills are bringing their lunch pails.

underdog lunchbox.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The fact that Vegas is picking Ravens is good for us. They are not in business to lose $$$