Hats off to A.J.

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Don't go knocking Hanson. Underneath is one of my favourite pop albums :)

I like to think I'm pretty open minded.  Gender fluid?; go for it.  Trans cis bi but identify as a conservative Midwestern woman?; have a blast Sharon.  Sexually attracted to trees?; tap some trunk.  But your love of Hanson frankly disgusts me. Deviant stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Keep three QBs on the roster. 

They're not going to win much this year and the liklihood that one QB goes down at some point is high.   It makes more sense from a simple continuity standpoint to keep AJ than the fourth TE or 8th DB...

I'm eating some crow over AJM and will admit it.

Now that the dust has settled you just don't pay 5 million for your #3 QB.

Trade him for whatever if possible.

Sign the best possible QB for the Practice Squad and see how that goes.

IF the starting QB gets injured and the PS QB isn't looking good they can always sign

the best FA QB available or sign to the 53 the best QB on someone else's PS.

I think that AJ played pretty well . . . especially if you look at his performance in the context of why certain things happened.

For those of you who thought that AJ had a bad game, you may want to look at the linked video that includes each of his passes:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/31/buffalo-bills-watch-aj-mccarron-bears/

It is clear that:

1) Most of his incomplete passes are not his fault or were intentional;

2) The second interception clearly was not his fault;

3) The guy is effective running the ball;

4) When one looks at each play in context, it is clear that he played pretty well . . . especially given the state of our offensive line . . . .

Edited by Peter
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The play he made with about 23 seconds left was very, very good. Rolled out, avoided rush twice, always looked downfield trying to get it to endzone, then rolled left, still looked, then ran 10+ yards, showing some decent speed, and got OB at the four, first down with 17 seconds, which gives you 3-4 shots at it. Excellent play there. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think that AJ played pretty well . . . especially if you look at his performance in the context of why certain things happened.

For those of you who thought that AJ had a bad game, you may want to look at the linked video that includes each of his passes:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/31/buffalo-bills-watch-aj-mccarron-bears/

It is clear that:

1) Most of his incomplete passes are not his fault of were intentional;

4) When one looks at each play in context, it is clear that he played pretty well . . . especially given the state of our offensive line . . . .

The QB competition by way of the constant swapping of strings while fair in and of itself did not allow enough time to gel as units in my humble opinion.

The way I look at it did Peterman mount a comeback when given the chance? no

It may not have looked pretty shaking off the rust, but A J McCarron went on to score 4 TD's in one game. Couple more long balls should have been caught that would have led to more points IMO. 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

The QB competition by way of the constant swapping of strings while fair in and of itself did not allow enough time to gel as units in my humble opinion.

The way I look at it did Peterman mount a comeback when given the chance? no

It may not have looked pretty shaking off the rust, but A J McCarron went on to score 4 TD's in one game. Did any other QB accomplash as much? no 

Against who?

again, good for him not rallying them I guess.  But it was a pathetic performance for 3 quarters.  EJ Manuel had the best game of the preseason and we all know how people think about him. A vet qb should dominate a game like that.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Against who?

again, good for him not rallying them I guess.  But it was a pathetic performance for 3 quarters.  EJ Manuel had the best game of the preseason and we all know how people think about him. A vet qb should dominate a game like that.

This conclusory statement is simplistic at best.  You certainly are not alone.  Nevertheless, if one looks at his performance and each of the passes that he made in context, it is clear that the word "pathetic" in no way accurately describes AJ's performance.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It was meaningless and first half dreadful but nice job hanging there to at least end this very strange preseason on a positive note 

McCarron was brought in to be a starter, and things haven't gone as planned.   But here is a guy that has been left behind in the QB race in a QB starved league where he knows if he gets cut he'll get a job somewhere.  Some guys might said "Screw it.  things didn't work out here.  But I know i'll get another opportunity somewhere so let me just protect my health and get through the game."  

Down by 25 in the 4th quarter he didn't quit.   If I counted correctly, all of his scrambles were for 1st down runs. He fought back and showed a ton of grit.  Then post game talked glowingly about playing with 3rd stringers and how he loved that group.  For a guy who signed looking for a starting roll after never getting a chance in Cincy, I thought that showed a ton of class.

Jon Gruden has already said his 2nd QB isn't on his team.  He would love a guy like McCarron on his squad.  The only way I saw the Bills keep both Peterman and McCarron was if Allen wasn't capable of being a 1 or 2.  Since he is in the race to start, it doesn't make sense to keep both.  

Perfect scenario, McCarron goes to the Raiders in a trade that includes Khalil Mack.  Of course, he would be a small piece that would involve at least a 1st and who knows what else.  But it's a perfect fit for Gruden's mentality of how to play the game.  I wish the guy nothing but the best.  If that means being on our roster, cool.  If not, I have nothing but respect for the guy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Down by 25 in the 4th quarter he didn't quit.   If I counted correctly, all of his scrambles were for 1st down runs. He fought back and showed a ton of grit.  Then post game talked glowingly about playing with 3rd stringers and how he loved that group.  For a guy who signed looking for a starting roll after never getting a chance in Cincy, I thought that showed a ton of class.

I wish the guy nothing but the best.  If that means being on our roster, cool.  If not, I have nothing but respect for the guy.  

Well said.

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Against who?

How do you remember Reichs great comeback? someone had to look pathetic through a good part of the game to get so far behind right?

How many times did we see J K stink the place up with multiple INT's then go on to throw multiple TD's for the win?

playing with who? with how much time together to gel?

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If we can trade McCarron for anything we save $1 million on the cap this year and $5 million next year. That's the best thing we can do right now. This is his 4th year in the league and he hasn't improved at all. I'd rather just see Peterman if the plan is to let Allen be the backup for a few games. At least Peterman has a chance of becoming something.

Um, no.  If we trade McCarron, the other team picks up his guaranteed this-year's salary, but his amortized signing bonus accelerates into this year, so $2M -0.9M = addl cap cost of $1.1 M, $4.1 M vs $3M

We about break even.  We would save $2M on the cap next year, because his $3M 2019 salary is not guaranteed.

I personally go with the guys who say "with this line, keep 3 QB".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

How do you remember Reichs great comeback? someone had to look pathetic through a good part of the game to get so far behind right?

How many times did we see J K stink the place up with multiple INT's then go on to throw multiple TD's for the win?

playing with who? with how much time together to gel?

I firmly remember the Oilers benching their starters and going with their 4th string D before the heroic comeback started.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They better not run that play that was the pick six again in the regular season because it will be a pick six again unless Allen guns it. Having a running back run ten yards and then turn around and wait for the ball is stupid, as they just don't run patterns like WR. Even Cadet who runs good patterns for a RB. It's a pick six waiting to happen. AJ threw a horrible ball but a RB is just not going to plant and turn around and come back to the ball fast enough on a pattern like that. Even Shady probably wouldn't and he has some of the fastest feet in the league. 

I could be mistaken, but I think Ivory has the chops to run that route.

Overall I do blame the play calling for that one, it's simply not a pass McCarron or Peterman can throw.  Allen is still working on zip code accuracy with that kind of throw I think, but would get it to the right zip code before the DB knew what happened.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

It is clear that:

1) Most of his incomplete passes are not his fault or were intentional;

Stop enabling the bammy fans please.

I beg you.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, no.  If we trade McCarron, the other team picks up his guaranteed this-year's salary, but his amortized signing bonus accelerates into this year, so $2M -0.9M = addl cap cost of $1.1 M, $4.1 M vs $3M

We about break even.  We would save $2M on the cap next year, because his $3M 2019 salary is not guaranteed.

I personally go with the guys who say "with this line, keep 3 QB".

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/a.j.-mccarron-14575/

His cap hit this year is $3 million. If we trade him the dead cap this year is $2 million. His cap hit next year is $7 million but if we trade or cut him his dead cap next year is only $2 million. Not sure where you got your numbers from.

4 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Hats off for AJ scraping together some last minute drives to be 4th stringers and walmart greeters?  That was a despicable performance last night.  He was supposed to be our starter.  He might not make the team.

...and exactly what were your expectations in his first stint back after his injury?.....no ring rust?.....prolific as in Dan Fouts like?.....this yap fits with your avatar.........

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Stop enabling the bammy fans please.

I beg you.

As a Miami Hurricane fan and season ticket holder, that definitely was a concern of mine.  I had to hold my nose when I posted something defending an Alabama QB.

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

looking at the highlights he had half an hour in the pocket every time he took the snap. Nice job,OL

I have to get one of your clocks.  I would never be late for anything.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm eating some crow over AJM and will admit it.

Now that the dust has settled you just don't pay 5 million for your #3 QB.

Trade him for whatever if possible.

Sign the best possible QB for the Practice Squad and see how that goes.

IF the starting QB gets injured and the PS QB isn't looking good they can always sign

the best FA QB available or sign to the 53 the best QB on someone else's PS.

The logic escapes me.  We can't pay $3M (this year's cap hit) to keep the insurance of a QB who at least knows the playbook on the roster, so we should instead cut him and take a $5M cap hit to get him off our roster?  Or a $4M cap hit to (hypothetically) trade him while signing some scrap QB or paying some unwanted vet FA $1-3M?

Then that QB can come in if needed and look even more putrid and we'll be stupid to be paying $5M plus the new guy's salary to NOT have AJ on our roster, instead of paying $3M to keep him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The logic escapes me.  We can't pay $3M (this year's cap hit) to keep the insurance of a QB who at least knows the playbook on the roster, so we should instead cut him and take a $5M cap hit to get him off our roster?  Or a $4M cap hit to (hypothetically) trade him while signing some scrap QB or paying some unwanted vet FA $1-3M?

Then that QB can come in if needed and look even more putrid and we'll be stupid to be paying $5M plus the new guy's salary to NOT have AJ on our roster, instead of paying $3M to keep him.

Your point is taken if you expect him to see action on the field in 2018.

My point was from the previous conversations about trading him (1 million) in savings as you said and getting

some sort of draft pick for him.

If they keep him this year they will need to cut/trade him right after the start of next years league year.

Either way he costs 2 million in dead money for 2019.

16 hours ago, Peter said:

As a Miami Hurricane fan and season ticket holder, that definitely was a concern of mine.  I had to hold my nose when I posted something defending an Alabama QB.

I have to get one of your clocks.  I would never be late for anything.

just one of my many delusions

On 8/31/2018 at 4:38 PM, Jauronimo said:

I like to think I'm pretty open minded.  Gender fluid?; go for it.  Trans cis bi but identify as a conservative Midwestern woman?; have a blast Sharon.  Sexually attracted to trees?; tap some trunk.  But your love of Hanson frankly disgusts me. Deviant stuff.

You should hear my takes on Coldplay and Nickelback.