Michael Lombardi: Start Josh Allen; 'Ridiculous' to play Nate Peterman because offensive line stinks

6 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

His point, well, misses the point.

It's not about this year, not about Peterman making the line better, or anything like that.

It's about not ruining Josh. He's a fancy sports car and we shouldn't put him in there to plow the driveway.

If it ruins the QB then he was never meant to be a starter in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Rob Johnson's offensive line was terrible. It didn't get good for Flutie - he just hid it with mobility and quicker decisions.

Even with Glenn-Incognito-Wood, this team's pass protection has not been good in a long time. Tyrod just masked that.

peterman isn't at all like flutie. allen isn't at all like johnson.  other than that your analogy makes perfect sense. 

45 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe that’s not a fair stat since he’s had so much more experience facing opponents in his face so early and often? ?

Well then his rating would be lower if that is true. No different than batting average. The fact that it's still that high is amazing.

Edited by Boca BIlls

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

The skill of the players around changes how you value strengths and weaknesses of the QB. It’s not black and white. Peterman gets rid of the ball quick but can’t throw deep or to the boundaries. With a better line he’s the less appealing QB with our line that quick delivery is a premium skill. With a good line Allen would be the better choice, his slower ball delivery would be offset by his ability to throw anywhere. 

If His slower delivery is an artifact of not undersranding the offense, then he’s just not ready.

32 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If His slower delivery is an artifact of not undersranding the offense, then he’s just not ready.

Didn’t he score crazy high on the wonderlic ? It’s unlikely Allen has trouble understanding the offense. Where is this slow delivery myth coming from for Allen ? He has a quick release and a howitzer arm. Holding onto the ball or waiting to long to pull the trigger isn’t the same thing as a slow delivery. 

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Didn’t he score crazy high on the wonderlic ? It’s unlikely Allen has trouble understanding the offense. Where is this slow delivery myth coming from for Allen ? He has a quick release and a howitzer arm. Holding onto the ball or waiting to long to pull the trigger isn’t the same thing as a slow delivery. 

Im only arguing the position of ‘not ready’. This kids hasn’t had the type of coaching most nfl players have had. Very possible he’s just not there yet 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Im only arguing the position of ‘not ready’. This kids hasn’t had the type of coaching most nfl players have had. Very possible he’s just not there yet 

I agree he’s not there yet.  But he had the same coach as Carson Wentz in college,

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

If it ruins the QB then he was never meant to be a starter in the first place.

Yeah I'm not buying that...

...and since there is no proof either way, I'll stick to caution.

Not saying a little pressure can ruin a guy, but if the OL is historically bad, anyone would get a little aprehensive when a DL or LB is in the backfield on every play before you can even make a 3 step drop.

More than that... Honestly, why risk it?

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree he’s not there yet.  But he had the same coach as Carson Wentz in college,

Not for very long though.... obviously they either didn’t see mechanics flaws or didn’t try to fix them 

unless they arent as fixed as we were hoping by now? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

13 hours ago, BigDingus said:

That's preferrable to needing 3+ seconds to analyze and read the field, especially when you're going to get 2 at best on most snaps.

I think it will still lead to a lot of picks and poor decisions. I honestly have no idea what I'd do opening day at Quarterback.  My confidence in the pass protection is rock bottom and I don't know which is the least bad option. Maybe Peterman with a lot of pre-snap movement to try and diagnose the D as accurately as possible before the snap or maybe Allen with lots of RPO so he only has to read one defender and can get it out quicker?

I am very concerned either way.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

You're right and that point was just made recently.  The central point I was making was that far more QB's wash out when thrown to the wolves than thrive.  The 93 degree temp at present is affecting my memory.

I have a feeling that statement wouldn't change much one way or the other. Either you are a good NFL qb, or you aren't. Sitting wouldn't help 95% of those guys to become qulaity qbs.

Allen needs to get used to the speed of the NFL. The only way that happens is by playing. Peterman is the safe decision. Allen is the right decision. Many of the Quarterbacks that sat a year and had any sort of success sat behind established, and sometimes great Quarterbacks. Allen isn’t going to learn much from Peterman.

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed.  Peterman makes the line look better by making better pre-snap reads and faster decisions & throws.  

But I also agree with Lombardi that Peterman shouldn't start because the line is horrible.  He should start because he's done the best job behind that horrible line.  

I began this year saying that AJ is the present, Allen is the future, and Peterman is the odd man out.  But I don't know how we can ignore the preseason.  So far the offense works best when Peterman is under center.   

Allen, on the other hand, has shown potential.  I think he ought to be the starter once he shows he can consistently make quick, good decisions with the ball.   That may be later this season but it's not today.

Peterman has had one successful drive against a vanilla 1st string defense. A lot of people are going to be shocked come opening day if he starts vs Baltimore.

the choice between Peterman and Allen clearly seems to be Allen, except that playing too soon, especially with this offensive (and it is offensive) line and receivers could ruin him.  We've been looking for a franchise QB since Kelly. I wonder if people think Kelly would have been ruined playing behind this line and with these receivers his rookie year. Not his first year with the Bills, but his first year after college. If you think Kelly would have survived, and you're looking for a Kelly replacement, I say start Allen

23 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Peterman is incapable of throwing many passes which you need to be able to throw in the NFL. So he’s not ready either. We are going to start a QB who is not ready. 

On 8/29/2018 at 12:19 PM, cd1 said:

Allen does just fine (for the most part). He just got rattled last week.  He will learn.

One of Nate's biggest assets is his ability to quickly read a defense and make adjustments. Nate's weak arm is his downfall. I think Nate will make for an excellent backup QB and a very good mentor in teaching Josh to "speed read" the defense. 

Personally, I think it would be great to let Josh play the whole game tomorrow night. The kid has got everything it will take to be our franchise guy. He just needs enough experience playing at the NFL level. To be able to play in a game where they are not sending out the wolves, he will get experience in more things than picking grass out of his teeth.

Make no mistake, Josh is our guy. He just needs some time to get up to speed.

IMHO

did he learn this ability to  quickly read defenses recently, because last year in his only start he just kept throwing the ball to the defense. 

7 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Peterman is incapable of throwing many passes which you need to be able to throw in the NFL. So he’s not ready either. We are going to start a QB who is not ready. 

You don’t have to twist my arm on that topic.  I’m supporting whatnot ready can mean for Allen.

i personally think Peterman looks like he’s running from a bee swarm under pressure and I don’t think he’s faced any this preseason based on how rotation worked out. 

Meanwhile allen looks like he’s a calm and cool as a free dB is in his face in 1.1 seconds. 

Hes my starter, but I respect the opinion of the Peterman is more ready right now guys... I see the point, despite disagreeing 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it will still lead to a lot of picks and poor decisions. I honestly have no idea what I'd do opening day at Quarterback.  My confidence in the pass protection is rock bottom and I don't know which is the least bad option. Maybe Peterman with a lot of pre-snap movement to try and diagnose the D as accurately as possible before the snap or maybe Allen with lots of RPO so he only has to read one defender and can get it out quicker?

I am very concerned either way.  

tenor.gif?itemid=4502747

but... a clue???

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/1035304350762127360

In warmups, #Bills QB Nathan Peterman is working with presumed starting center Ryan Groy, Josh Allen with Russell Bodine, and AJ McCarron with third-string Adam Redmond. More evidence that it’s the AJ show tonight. Also, fair to note the Peterman/Groy pairing.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

We didn't sell the ranch for Nate Petermann and whoever plays behind this OL is likely going to get hurt. Josh Allen already came within a hair's breadth of sustaining a concussion in just 1 half against a starting defense. Let's try to keep him alive, shall we? I know many are excited to see the rookie, but wisdom >> impatience. Let's not screw up Allen for future years.

Nate is the better QB and gives us the best shot in 2018

really - right now 

it's not even about protecting Josh

Nate earned this 

the other commentary about protecting our assets [Allen] are a bonus not a reason for the decision