Who wants to try and win this year, and who wants to see development?

Steptide

Development.  I have, for a long time, been tired of seeing the Bills throw QBs to the wolves and having them flame out in two years.  I'd rather see guy on the bench a year or two and have a 10-15 year career than be done in 3.

Plus...look at the dead money coming off the cap next year.  A year of development, followed by that bankroll?  

• Like (+1) 2

My only interest in the near term is developing Josh Allen so we can quickly find out if he has it or doesn't have it.

If doesn't have it, we should know ASAP so we can start moving to get the next Josh Allen.  Without a franchise QB we have nothing and nothing else really matters. 

That means playing him every game this year.  If that means our record is bad but we figure out what Josh is all about, I'm fine with it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

He didn't do much statistically in SB XL either.

So it’s not all on the QB, and it takes time & patience to develop even a HOFer? So the smart guys on here say sit him & “wait out” the growing pains. Stupid. Play him and give him the baptism by fire. So when he’s in the playoffs 2-4 years down the road he has this early experience to pull from.  

Edited by Dr.Sack

Seems odd that we think one of our choices is winning.

What's the record of Nate starts?

How different is it if Allen starts?

Can't be that different, and it will take a bigger miracle than Dalton can deliver for the Bills to be back in the playoffs this year.

The question is, does Allen develop better sitting for a bit, or does he develop better playing day 1?

After watching yesterday’s game, I’d prefer to see Peterman start and help the whole offense get going. 

While in no way am I hoping for it to happen but I figure Peterman will get knocked out of a game before too long and JA will have to go in. If/when it happens it would be better if the offense , as a whole, was generally on the same page with each other and Allen was the only one trying to get up to speed.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Development.  I have, for a long time, been tired of seeing the Bills throw QBs to the wolves and having them flame out in two years.  I'd rather see guy on the bench a year or two and have a 10-15 year career than be done in 3.

Plus...look at the dead money coming off the cap next year.  A year of development, followed by that bankroll?  

Which QB was thrown to the wolves? 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You play to win.   

Peorid. 

I don’t buy into losing on purpose. 

It’s not losing on purpose. It’s deciding, “what’s the best course to win a championship?” That is what guides everything. The Eagles played Wentz, struggled, answering won a year later. Manning and Aikman struggled as rookies. Other teams have sat guys (ie Rodgers). Whatever the Bills believe is the best plan to win a title is what they need to do. It doesn’t matter if they win 4, 6 or 8. It’s irrelevant. Setting up for a run is all that matters.

30 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

So it’s not all on the QB, and it takes time & patience to develop even a HOFer? So the smart guys on here say sit him & “wait out” the growing pains. Stupid. Play him and give him the baptism by fire. So when he’s in the playoffs 2-4 years down the road he has this early experience to pull from. 

Every QB is different. Josh has a lot of work to do IMHO

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The beauty of this is that Allen does both. Gives the Bills the best chance to have a winning season, and will have better development than sitting on the bench. 

Based on what? Start Peterman until we're out if it and work Allen in. Peterman is the more productive QB at this point.

I like Josh Allen but starting him doesn't guarantee anything. I respect people want to see if he is the real deal, but starting him doesn't make him the automatic franchise QB. Nothing is set in stone. I have no attachment to any of these QBs beyond what I see as a potential and nothing more. AJ is nothing special, Peterman has quick passes and Allen has a rocket launcher. 

I have always been in the mindset that this team would be in transition until it no longer is. We have had a revolving door at coaching position and a team heading off into a different direction each regime change. I wasn't interested in Rex Ryan and I liked St Doug. 

With McDermott last year I got a team stripping dead weight and still managing to win. I think that allows me to believe my team won't just fall off a cliff. 

I'm going into the season (again) with the knowledge this is a team still being built and is not a finished product. I'm nervous and yet I'm still confident in Sean McDermott's coaching abilities. I went in last year with low expectations and walked away finally having a HC I can believe in. 

He makes moves I agree with. He says things in a way I respect. The QB that takes us to the Superbowl  may or may not be presently on the team and I don't care because I believe McDermott is going to give me a championship before his time is done in Buffalo. 

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show. I am in full support of the QB that starts this year to be the QB of the future besides AJMcarron, forget that guy. 

Edited by Lfod

4 hours ago, Foreigner said:

This was stupid. The coaches and players are professionals who get paid. Why would they not try and win?

We are living in todays' world. Who cares about next year at this point, but don't worry because with this

OL there will not be many wins with whoever is sacrificed at QB this year. 

Why did they go 17 years?  Mediocrity.  8-8 and thereabouts, perenially, is death.    What did we do last year?  The same but with a lot of luck broke the streak is all.  2018 bills are not a playoff team.  Screw wins - train and grow and if that means 3-13 then so be it.  Start Peterman but do play JA plenty as well when blowouts.

11 hours ago, bg17 said:

Beane has said many times his job is to win today and win tomorrow. I’m on board with that kind of thinking. 

That's a cute saying, but complete bull$hit.  He wouldn't of traded Watkins, Glenn, Dareus, and Darby to give his team the best chance to win today.  It's fine to rebuild a team in your image by tearing it down before building it back up even if it means taking a step backwards to take two steps forwards, but don't insult our intelligence.

• Thank you (+1) 1