Who wants to try and win this year, and who wants to see development?

Steptide

8 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Based on what? Start Peterman until we're out if it and work Allen in. Peterman is the more productive QB at this point.

Peterman is not a more productive QB now.  He has 1 more NFL start in his career than Allen.  So he is not much more experienced even.  There is no reason to start Peterman. 

14 hours ago, berg1029 said:

I fall into the "both" category.  Let Peterman start, he's earned it.  He has looked good all preseason.  Give the guy a shot, forget what happened last year.  If he turns things around, it's a great feel good story and he will become trade bait or our franchise QB. If he doesn't impress then you let Allen play once Peterman has proved he is not the guy and the Bills are out of it. 

If you wait until Peterman has played them out of the playoffs, then it's not really "both".

I agree with others above--if this was a situation  where it was Allen or a seasoned starter (or at least a seasoned backup with significant starting experience), then maybe this would be a more interesting question.

But Peterman is not that, so it's not.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you wait until Peterman has played them out of the playoffs, then it's not really "both".

I agree with others above--if this was a situation  where it was Allen or a seasoned starter (or at least a seasoned backup with significant starting experience), then maybe this would be a more interesting question.

But Peterman is not that, so it's not.

This team is not going to the playoffs though.  Just sayin.  Develop.

Ideally we get both, but my expectations all offeason have been that the team will take a step backwards record-wise this year while putting the pieces in place for a roster than can have sustained success over a longer term. There were OL deficiencies in pass blocking for the past several years, and those were compounded by the losses of Wood and Incognito. Our WRs got consistently worse from 2015 to 2017. There is some hope that health and Zay Jones progressing in his second year would be good, plus the low risk-high reward acquisition of Corey Coleman, but that group is definitely still a wait and see for me. And the QB position is a complete unknown with the least NFL game experience in the entire league. Fortunately, experience is something that will come throughout the year as these unknown commodities at the most important position become known.

11 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Which QB was thrown to the wolves? 

EJ Manual. poster child.

Dan Darragh.

You could say Brian Shaw even though he won the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 1970 after passing for 2,500 yards. due to:  earning a 3-8-1 record. He started two more seasons, totaling an 8-27-2 record as starting QB and passing for less than 140 yards per game. Like so many QBs on this list, he had more interceptions (67) than touchdowns (35).

Trent Edwards.

James Harris. ruined for Bills but did have some good years with Rams later. 

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Peterman is not a more productive QB now.  He has 1 more NFL start in his career than Allen.  So he is not much more experienced even.  There is no reason to start Peterman. 

Based on three preseason games and TC, you're wrong. Peterman has been the most productive QB and right now is a better choice.  Josh still takes longer to process the game, defensive formations and where to go with the ball than does Peterman.  We need that now with this crap OL.

I'm a "process" guy.  I believe that they have a plan, and the plan is to be a perennial contender.  A team who is in the conversation for the Super Bowl for 5-10 years, and with some good management, sustain the engine.

It is very likely the team will take a step back this year record-wise, although the mode of the coaching staff and management is positive and winning attitude (unlike a typical *tank team who muddies the waters a bit).  This season is a blip, but it will help rebuild the roster, through new draft picks, building toward 1 system, and a lot of cap flexibility.  I am fine with it.  Especially since the clock will be striking midnight on the Patriots before long and the AFC, specifically the East will be in play.  

I do think it is still possible this team just competes.  The defense does well, McCoy stays upright, and the team wins 7-9 games again.  Im not feeling all too optimistic on that, mainly due to attrition on the O-Line and Tyrod... but I do not doubt McDermott's ability to motivate and gameplan.

I expect 3-6 wins though.  I will be fine with it.  However, if this is the case, I will need to see a step forward for 2019 on some level.   

As far as the QB question.  I want them to do whatever is best for the long-term.  If they think shielding Allen from non mop-up gameplay, while developing him behind the curtain is the best route.... Im all for it.  If they think throwing him in there for 16 starts will be best for his development.... and possible extreme failure and possible scrutiny will not faze him, then Im for that.  I dont know which is better. 

Edited by May Day 10

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Based on three preseason games and TC, you're wrong. Peterman has been the most productive QB and right now is a better choice.  Josh still takes longer to process the game, defensive formations and where to go with the ball than does Peterman.  We need that now with this crap OL.

If Allen had padded his stats against, except for 2 drives in a single game,  preseason scrubs, would you conclude that he was the best choice for week 1 starter?  That he had "earned it"?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If Allen had padded his stats against, except for 2 drives in a single game,  preseason scrubs, would you conclude that he was the best choice for week 1 starter?  That he had "earned it"?

Not about stats Weo, it's about production. As much as you can determine from the PS, NP was productive with the 1s, 2s & 3s. In fact, he was amazingly consistent with all of them. He moves the ball, makes fast and sound decisions and gets rid of the ball faster. Based on that, to my mind, he's the best choice to start.

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Not about stats Weo, it's about production. As much as you can determine from the PS, NP was productive with the 1s, 2s & 3s. In fact, he was amazingly consistent with all of them. He moves the ball, makes fast and sound decisions and gets rid of the ball faster. Based on that, to my mind, he's the best choice to start.

Outside of stats, what is production?  How are you measuring it?

NP played 2 series (game 1) with and against 1st team players.  He threw a TD in 1 and a pick in the next.  That was it.  Is it meaningful that he was never facing the pressure JA was facing Sunday while he racked up "amazingly consistent" productivity against players who won't make the rosters of teams he played?

My point is that, for me (not being privy to practice sessions), it's hard to say that a guy who hasn't been challenged this preseason in any significant way has actually demonstrated superiority against Allen. 

Allen won't learn the game or correct his issues by watching, from the sidelines, a guy who has a half game career under his belt.

Edited by Mr. WEO

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Outside of stats, what is production?  How are you measuring it?

NP played 2 series (game 1) with and against 1st team players.  He threw a TD in 1 and a pick in the next.  That was it.  Is it meaningful that he was never facing the pressure JA was facing Sunday while he racked up "amazingly consistent" productivity against players who won't make the rosters of teams he played?

Mypoint is that, for me (not being privy to practice sessions), it's hard to say that a guy who hasn't been challenged this preseason in any significant way has actually demonstrated superiority against Allen. 

Allen won't learn the game or correct his issues by watching, from the sidelines, a guy who has a half game career under his belt.

Every time Peterman is in the game, he moves the ball, no matter if it was with and against the  1s, 2s or 3s. He established an immediate rhythm in the passing game, made sound decisions and got rid of the ball faster than the other two. Allen just doesn't process the game as fast as NP at this point. Sorry you can't recognize that. I understand your argument of Allen learning on the job, but that will come at the expense of winning games. We still have a run first, grind offense and our quick strike talent is not great. A couple of picks or a full half of three & outs will sink us early on in those games. I don't think McBeane wants to start 2 & 6 under Allen.  If NP proves not to be effective, you'll see Allen. I believe McBeane sees it as I have described and you'll see NP starting against Baltimore. Hey, could be wrong, but that's just how I see it. You do not, so we disagree - and that's okay.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Every time Peterman is in the game, he moves the ball, no matter if it was with and against the  1s, 2s or 3s. He established an immediate rhythm in the passing game, made sound decisions and got rid of the ball faster than the other two. Allen just doesn't process the game as fast as NP at this point. Sorry you can't recognize that. I understand your argument of Allen learning on the job, but that will come at the expense of winning games. We still have a run first, grind offense and our quick strike talent is not great. A couple of picks or a full half of three & outs will sink us early on in those games. I don't think McBeane wants to start 2 & 6 under Allen.  If NP proves not to be effective, you'll see Allen. I believe McBeane sees it as I have described and you'll see NP starting against Baltimore. Hey, could be wrong, but that's just how I see it. You do not, so we disagree - and that's okay.

Good Preseason stats work for everyone but Nate Peterman and bad Preseason stats don't count for everyone but Nate Peterman.