Brandon Reilly Ready to Play on Sundays - Works Out for the Patriots

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'd be shocked if Zay was cut but until he can get out on the field and show progress he's on the outside looking in.

Rookies drafted after the 4th round are far from locks and truly have to earn their spots on the 53 man roster. It's still early in camp, but at this moment Proehl and McCloud have a tall hill to climb. Make more plays and get reps with the 2nd team and they'll move up.

I agree not a lock. You’ll note I have one not making the roster in my post. I’d be surprised if they cut both though. 

Zay would have to have a camp as disastrous as his offseason to fall outside. He’s by default in unless he finds a way to lose the spot. That you’d be shocked says exactly that.

Edited by NoSaint

13 hours ago, CoachBlow757 said:

You may be right on the Zay IR call.  I'm not sold on Kerley though.

Kerley and Benjamin are the two locks to make the roster IMO. Kerley is the most experienced receiver we have, has the most career receptions and yards and is still under the age of 30.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I agree not a lock. You’ll note I have one not making the roster in my post. I’d be surprised if they cut both though. 

Zay would have to have a camp as disastrous as his offseason to fall outside. He’s by default in unless he finds a way to lose the spot. That you’d be shocked says exactly that.

....problem is with his off season knee surgery" actually resulting from a deep laceration during his romp escapade, he is on the WRONG SIDE of McD's temperament...kid better realize his HC does NOT tolerate "escapades".....his pink slip is printed if necessary IMO.........

18 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Jones is still a top 3 WR on this team of misfit toys.  

Huh? I'd be surprised if the kid wasnt cut and you have him as a top three? Zay is going to have a long road ahead just to prove he can make the roster, let alone push for playing time.

49 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Huh? I'd be surprised if the kid wasnt cut and you have him as a top three? Zay is going to have a long road ahead just to prove he can make the roster, let alone push for playing time.

He was # 2 or # 3 all last year.  When his knee is ready to go, what has changed?  He was drafted in the second round.  No way he gets cut

32 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He was # 2 or # 3 all last year.  When his knee is ready to go, what has changed?  He was drafted in the second round.  No way he gets cut

Yup, I’d say there’s less than a 5% chance.

18 hours ago, CoachBlow757 said:

My projection is

1. Benjamin

2. K. Clay

3. Foster

4. Reilly

5. Holmes

6. Prohl 

Zay has to get on the field soon to make the 53

I see several people keep saying Proehl, why? What has he done? I have seen very little about him catching passes. Maybe he’s great in other ways, but I don’t understand all the TBD love?????

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And there are other Athletes on the team that can cover kicks. 

If one of the young guys that actually offer something at WR and can play ST as well I would rather have him on the roster than Holmes 

Agree!

Edited by CSBill

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I see several people keep saying Proehl, why? What has he done? I have seen very little about him catching passes. Maybe he’s great in other ways, but I don’t understand all the TBD love?????

He's a lot like Reilly:

1) Scrappy
2) High motor
3) Gamer
4) Sneaky athletic
5) Gritty
6) Winner
7) High football IQ
8 ) Good fundamentals
9) Plays the game the right way
10) Lunch pail guy
11) Cerebral
12) Deceptive speed
13) Gym rat
14) Intangibles
15) Gets the most out of his abilities
16) Has a lot of heart
17) Grinder
18) Out-hustles
19) Someone you’d love your daughter to date

:D

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/your-white-guy-code-word-power-rankings.html

• Haha (+1) 2

I love good stories but why is there this hype with Reilly?  Guy had 1,200 yards and 6 tds in 4 years.  Nebraska didn’t have studs at qb but he wasn’t even the leading receiver on the team.  

Honestly, why are people so fired up about him?  Is this like a Martin Nance situation? And for the record, I hope he is a total stud. I just don’t get it.

Despite the thoughts of some, I don't see many scenarios where this team cuts Zay Jones. Maybe they trade him if a really good offer comes across the table but I don't see that happening. They're already thin at the position and Zay knows he needs to step up which I think he'll do once he's ready to go.

I think Reilly has a solid chance to make the 53. They took him off the practice squad late last season and added him to the active roster. I don't think he ever saw the field but to get bumped from the PS to the active roster that late in the season shows that McBeane can see him playing a bigger role this season, granted, if he continues to develop the way he has. 

Other than that, I think Robert Foster is a near-lock for the practice squad and *maybe* the active roster if he has a super impressive pre-season. I also like Dupre and hope he can step up as he was viewed as a top WR prospect for a hot minute back in late 2016. LSU didn't have a QB in 2017 so on paper his stats aren't great but there's talent there and sometimes it takes a season or two before a guy reaches his full potential. 

Jeremy Kerley probably makes it for his veteran presence. Andre Holmes is on the bubble, despite his special teams play. They've got younger, less expensive options to take over for him if they want. McCloud is destined for a special teams role and I think Proehl is also practice squad material.