My dog died tonight

Sorry for your loss. We lost ours two years ago and still have not been able to replace her. We have looked at pups and younger dogs, but to be fair to the new dog, I have to be over the last one, and she was such a great dog, I don't know that I will ever be able to pull the trigger. 

Remember the joy of sharing your life with the dog,( I hate saying "owning" a dog) the only sorrow in having a dog is they usuall go before we do.  

Sorry to hear for your loss.  Tough thing to go thru.  When we were waiting in the vets office for my dog to get euthanized, a sense of terror came over her face when she saw the needle.  She shrieked back onto my shoulder(she was a Pomeranian) when she saw the needle.  That look of her's still haunts me to this day & that was 4 years ago.   

• Sad 1

We are all said when our beloved dogs die.

Yet we keep repeating the cycle.

When my two dachshunds die, me and my wife will be very sad, yet go out and get another dog or two.

What does that say about us? 

My condolences, Royale.

In my case, I had to put mine down a few months ago after 14 years.   I set up the appt on a Monday, had the procedure done on a Friday.  It was the hardest phone call to make, and the worst week of my life.  

I think the key is putting your dog first.  It's not about you, it's putting your dog out of its misery (if they are indeed in pain as indicated by their actions and movements).

2 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

My condolences, Royale.

In my case, I had to put mine down a few months ago after 14 years.   I set up the appt on a Monday, had the procedure done on a Friday.  It was the hardest phone call to make, and the worst week of my life.  

I think the key is putting your dog first.  It's not about you, it's putting your dog out of its misery (if they are indeed in pain as indicated by their actions and movements).

To me, the hardest part about putting our dog down was going to bed the night before.  I knew it was our last night.  For the last couple years of her life we let her sleep in our bed since she seemed so weak and lonely.  She was 15 when she died.  The only reason I could sleep at all was because I knew it was time.  She was so skinny and weak.  She was almost definitely in pain. Liver cancer, heart failure, kidney failure, gall bladder failure... it was time.

Not to make light if your dog dying, but it seems to me we have the makings of a good country music song here.

"My dog died, my kid **** on the slide at the restaurant, and my truck broke down...."

How's your truck doing?

17 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This just doesn’t get any easier.  Tough night...

Just seeing this. Really sorry dude. It is never easy, but I'm sure you gave her a great life, and she returned all the love. Rest easy now, Dakota.

When I come home and my dog is just out at the groomers, there’s a strange void, a creepy quietness. I’m on my 6th Golden, and I know it takes a while to get used to the “new normal”. Time helps.... Then I get a puppy!!! I’m just a sucker for dogs! 

My son and his GF have talked about getting a dog. Her mom brought up some Golden rescues (yep, it happens in weird circumstances) that are about 2 already. They work a lot but between the 2 they can handle it, but being past the chewing and house breaking sure would help. 

So sorry Royale.   I tear up just thinking about our 14-year-old Queensland Heeler entering her final phase of life.  God bless.

One thing I will offer to the group.  Our Lily dog has gained new mobility and seems to be in less pain the last few months.  The change coincided with giving her a daily vial of CBD extract.