Just Jack

Flats, drums, or mix?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• Flats
    • Drums
    • Mixed

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Chic Fil A marinates their chicken breasts in pickle juice.      Now that is something you know 

Nolan Ryan used to soak his pitching fingers in pickle juice.

This probably explains why I've never eaten a Chik-Fil-A sandwich that had blisters on it.

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Nolan Ryan used to soak his pitching fingers in pickle juice.

This probably explains why I've never eaten a Chik-Fil-A sandwich that had blisters on it.

that's where all the flavor is.  That and the polynesian sauce. 

45 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A couple sitting next to me loudly asked why anyone would eat like that in public.  Point is, eat wings like no one is watching. 

They were no doubt eating Snickers bars with knives and forks.

"What is wrong with you people?!"

Both.  Crispy and hot.  I used to be a drum guy until I learned how to eat a flat.  The key is to grasp it by the ends and twist it back and forth until one of the bones breaks free. Remove that (easily) and it’ll come clean off the other bone. Chunky Bleu cheese and celery are a must. 

• Like (+1) 1

We always call them flats and bats... like a mini baseball bat I suppose.  I like both as long as they are done right. Down here in Florida a lot of places serve them swimming in "sauce"... yow.

Marie's chunky bleu cheese finishes it off if I make them at home, don't care really if I have celery with them, if so fine... if not fine.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not a huge fan of the flat/wingette section because it's more work to get the meat out from in between the bones.  Drumettes all the way!

All you do is split the bones, pull the loose one out and you have meat falling off the remaining bone. If you know how to eat one it’s actually less effort than a drum 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

All you do is split the bones, pull the loose one out and you have meat falling off the remaining bone. If you know how to eat one it’s actually less effort than a drum 

I used to work with a guy who always said “hey, if you’re looking for a way to avoid work and do things the easy way, I’m the guy to see”.  He was annoying in certain ways, but every year he cranked out about 20% more than the average bear. I bet he knows all the tricks to eating wings too. 

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I've never had a problem eating a drumette and I don't have to do anything more than just hold it. 

13 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Something new that I've tried is the double fry. Fry them low for a few minutes, then take them out and let them sit for about 10mins in the basket. Crank the heat and fry'em HOT for 5 mins. 

Ever try the fry and grill method?  That's my personal favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Ever try the fry and grill method?  That's my personal favorite.

That's a great method, fry em, then toss in sauce and grill, we used to do that when I worked at Outback, we'd actually throw the wings in the smoker on the bottom of the ribs, then when they came out, fry for a couple minutes to crunch up, then toss in sauce and grill on the char griller.  Best wings I ever had.   Tender, crunchy, carmelized wing sauce on em.   They were very good.    

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

That's a great method, fry em, then toss in sauce and grill, we used to do that when I worked at Outback, we'd actually throw the wings in the smoker on the bottom of the ribs, then when they came out, fry for a couple minutes to crunch up, then toss in sauce and grill on the char griller.  Best wings I ever had.   Tender, crunchy, carmelized wing sauce on em.   They were very good.    

Smoked wings are excellent as well, but I need to be in the mood for them.

The fry-and-grill method is nearly fool proof.  You get a nice saucey wing that still has the crispiness on the outside.  That method is the reason that Elmo's and Caputi's are my two favorite wing joints in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Smoked wings are excellent as well, but I need to be in the mood for them.

The fry-and-grill method is nearly fool proof.  You get a nice saucey wing that still has the crispiness on the outside.  That method is the reason that Elmo's and Caputi's are my two favorite wing joints in WNY.

I think I actually like smoked wings the best.  

Forgot to answer the poll question....flats.

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think I actually like smoked wings the best.  

What the !@#$ is the matter with you?

19 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Something new that I've tried is the double fry. Fry them low for a few minutes, then take them out and let them sit for about 10mins in the basket. Crank the heat and fry'em HOT for 5 mins. 

The last time I made wings I did the double fry and it worked very well.

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why don't you enjoy some variety Gugs?  Lemon pepper dry rubbed and smoked is the best wings available.  True story.

Extra hot wings from Bar Bill are the best.

Truth be told, I've ne'er had a smoked wing.

However, I've had wings roasted in a wood burning oven and wished I'd gotten a burger, instead.

Roasted sounds like the worst way to cook a wing.   Broiled I can see because that heat is going to crisp up that skin but you'll still have one side not getting that heat and that side is nasty.   That's why frying or grilling are the best because you never get that one soggy side.   

I will say when i'm in the mood for a nugget I like to use rice flour, it doesn't brown as easily as wheat flour and you end up with a crispy nugget you can make into zingers by tossing in some wing sauce.  I like to do the honey chipotle bbq like they do at chilis.   

15 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Roasted sounds like the worst way to cook a wing.   Broiled I can see because that heat is going to crisp up that skin but you'll still have one side not getting that heat and that side is nasty.   That's why frying or grilling are the best because you never get that one soggy side.   

I will say when i'm in the mood for a nugget I like to use rice flour, it doesn't brown as easily as wheat flour and you end up with a crispy nugget you can make into zingers by tossing in some wing sauce.  I like to do the honey chipotle bbq like they do at chilis.   

If you prep them properly, you can get a solid wing by roasting.  You need to give them a toss in equal parts salt and baking powder and then refrigerate them on a wire rack (uncovered) for 12+ hours before baking at 450 for about 40 minutes--flipping halfway through.  Take 'em out, toss 'em in your sauce, pop 'em back in for 3-5 minutes to crisp up and serve.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a fan of the drums originally.  My dad and I would always be racing to find as many of those as we could.  At this point, I think I'd want a 50/50 split.  Both have their moments.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I was a fan of the drums originally.  My dad and I would always be racing to find as many of those as we could.  At this point, I think I'd want a 50/50 split.  Both have their moments.

You raise an interesting point.  Being the OCD sort that I am, I've been known to count if indeed I did get 50 wings in the order.  It suddenly occurs to me a wing is one drum and one flat, therefore, shouldn't there be 50 drums and 50 flats in the barrel?  It's an outrage!  Call Brian Higgins! (technically, he's my Congressman.)

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If you prep them properly, you can get a solid wing by roasting.  You need to give them a toss in equal parts salt and baking powder and then refrigerate them on a wire rack (uncovered) for 12+ hours before baking at 450 for about 40 minutes--flipping halfway through.  Take 'em out, toss 'em in your sauce, pop 'em back in for 3-5 minutes to crisp up and serve.

I've heard corn starch also works well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On June 25, 2018 at 8:23 AM, frostbitmic said:

It's gotta be both, crispy and hot as hades with chunky blue cheese, carrots and celery.

I never understood the super hot wing thing.

I mean, you can make a hot sauce as hot as you want it to be. 

If you make it hot enough, all you are going to do is blow your tastebuds on the first wing such that you can't really taste anything that follows.

I don't see the point of that.

• Like (+1) 4