Domdab99

Report: Baker Mayfield not ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It will be an interesting couple of years for the Browns.

It's ALWAYS an "interesting couple of years for the Browns". 😁  At times it's like watching the football version of 'Major League'.  Hue Jackson could screw up a one car funeral.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Justified or not, TT had zero faith in our receivers to make a play, and as a result never took a chance.  As a result, the Tyrod you see in Cleveland is not the Tyrod you'd get if he stayed in Buffalo.  Even if TT outperforms the Buffalo QBs this year I won't regret trading him because TT on the 2018 Bills would have resembled the 2017 outing.

That is just revisionist history. Tyrod lacks the ability to anticipate, to throw a receiver open. It's not his lack of faith in his own receivers it is a lack of faith in his own judgment and ability. And that's the Tyrod you will see this year in Cleveland. Still, he's a serviceable quarterback who will have some success in Cleveland as he did here. I like him and wish him well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tyrod will start vs the Steelers and Saints, then get booed off the field because he’s Taylor.   

Mayfield better be ready.  

Check-downs to Landry and bombs to Josh Gordon. His two favorite throws.  Tyrod might be a sneaky good fantasy option this year.  

• Like 1

This is a pretty easy decision for the Browns. They are 1-31 over the last two years. They now have a talented, young roster. They need to learn to start winning. Tyrod has a winning record and doesn’t make mistakes. He’s a consummate professional earning rave reviews so far in Cleveland. They’ll win 6-8 games this year while getting Baker ready. 

It made a ton of sense for Cleveland to pursue Tyrod and it made a ton of sense for the Bills to clear the path for Allen. If Allen can play it will end up working out well for both teams. 

• Like 3

He has bust written all over him,  Manziel 2.0.  Big mouth to make up for his lack of size,  wished the Browns would have taken Darnold.

5 hours ago, Lfod said:

I have questions about Tyrod that I don't feel are answered completely. I have a good idea but I still have some doubts about my feelings on him. This season should secure everything and put it to rest for me personally. 

I am rooting against Tyrod. I hope he struggles to score points in Cleveland. I hope he is benched before the end of the season. I don't want to regret my team letting him go. I don't want him to out perform what my team has for QB and make me feel like letting him go was the wrong choice. I don't want to miss him as my QB. 

I don't want to sit through the endless debate because I won't be able to not participate. It is addictive. At least he was traded to the Browns so I think I'll get my way. I think it will take a miracle for that nightmare to happen. 

I don't necessarily root against him, but I understand your larger point. However, in fairness to Tyrod's time in Buffalo (and I was a pretty big Tyrod detractor) the supporting talent in Cleveland right now is much, much better than what he had in Buffalo except for his first season....which, was essentially his best. Had Wrex's Defense been what last year's was, the Bills probably would have made the playoffs that year. 

That said, I'm glad Tyrod moved on for both the Bills and for him. I wanted a true pocket passer with the quintessential capabilities of an NFL QB. However, he was always a decent man here in Buffalo and approached some tumultuous situations with class and professionalism. To that end, I wish him the best. I don't think his success and Josh Allen's success need to be exclusive, they can both succeed and this turn out well for both teams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

I think he might hit his ceiling this year, and it could be higher than what his ceiling was in Buffalo. Hue Jackson is cettainly betting his job on it. With that said, even if he has a great year, he's getting to the age where his running ability will begin to decrease, which is why no one wants to sign him long term. So I wouldn't lose it, if he bounces back and outplays everyone on the Bills Roster. Vince Young and RGIII both had great seasons, but neither sustained their level of performance long term.

I think we've seen Tyrods ceiling 3 years ago and the league knows how to play him now regardless of which team he is on. 

I think the Browns right now will be happy with 150 yards and 1 TD zero ints opposed to 200 yards 1 TD and 3 ints. 

I do anticipate the Browns growing impatient with no or very minimal production from Tyrod and Mayfield will be put in sooner than later.

7 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

I agree with the article, and the idea of Cleveland bringing in a new coach next year. Baker's skill set dictates a system designed specifically for him. 

Which to me begs the question why didn't the Browns just get their coach this year?

1 hour ago, eball said:

The tape on the Bills from the past three years debunks this commonly repeated opinion.  Receivers were open.  I don't hate Tyrod as a starting QB but there's no denying my frustration at (a) his unwillingness to make a throw with any risk attached to it, and (b) his consistent failure to put the ball in a position for his receivers to make YAC.

I expect the Browns to win 6-8 games this season, and Tyrod's ability to take care of the ball will be a big part of that.  I'm not disappointed the Bills moved on, regardless of what sort of QB play we get this year.

When you highlighted my sentence, you forgot the first three words, "justified or not".  In my opinion Tyrod's lack of faith in our receivers was unjustified.  They weren't the best, but they were not bad enough to warrant his level of ultra-conservatism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

I think we've seen Tyrods ceiling 3 years ago and the league knows how to play him now regardless of which team he is on. 

I think the Browns right now will be happy with 150 yards and 1 TD zero ints opposed to 200 yards 1 TD and 3 ints. 

I do anticipate the Browns growing impatient with no or very minimal production from Tyrod and Mayfield will be put in sooner than later.

Didn’t we have a bet that if someone paid Tyrod $10M this year you’d never post again? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Didn’t we have a bet that if someone paid Tyrod $10M this year you’d never post again? 

I think that's what you said, I never agreed to that.

I hear Tyrod is a breath of fresh air could be the Listerine.

• Haha 1

Good.

I think browns win at least 6 with Tyrod which means I'm in the money. 

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Which to me begs the question why didn't the Browns just get their coach this year?

They would have, but John Dorsey wasn’t positive that Baker would be there at #1.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

I think that's what you said, I never agreed to that.

I think that we agreed that one of us would be leaving. There’s some archive digging to do...

Sounds about right, I still don't get why Dorsey kept Hue around to begin with.   Maybe he's waiting for a guy from the Andy Reid tree to be available or looking to snag someone that he couldn't get this year.   

Just what the doctor ordered..... another TT thread ;)

Thankfully the Buffalo chapter is closed in the book of Tyrod ;) 

It should be fun watching him run around like a chicken with its head chopped off in Cleveland ;) 

im a big fan of baker may, but i think this speaks to how under rated Josh "future bills HOF mutlti chip winning qb" Allen's readiness to play was.  he played in a hard throw run based pro style O, and under center.  the only other qb who compared was Josh Rosen, who i'm sure is doing well in camp, but who I think is physically weak (and i'm starting to buy the attitude/mentality issues, but frankly it may be sour grapes cuz i would have been fine w him if allen was gone and we took him at 12) and won't be able to make the spectacular throws and more importantly will simply be hurt in the nfl.

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that we agreed that one of us would be leaving. There’s some archive digging to do...

Nope

tyrod is gonna end up cashing in next year.  case keenum style

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not surprising and you know exactly what you get with Tyrod...7 to 9 wins, low turnovers, a few spectacular plays a game, wins against most teams you "should beat" but rarely wins against good teams.

28 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Just what the doctor ordered..... another TT thread ;)

Thankfully the Buffalo chapter is closed in the book of Tyrod ;) 

It should be fun watching him run around like a chicken with its head chopped off in Cleveland ;) 

It would be classic Bills for him to be traded to a team and their franchise cornerstone LT just retired leaving a giant hole there to protect his blindside.  

The only thing that could have made it better is if we had traded Mills to them too just to screw up the RT spot. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not surprising and you know exactly what you get with Tyrod...7 to 9 wins, low turnovers, a few spectacular plays a game, wins against most teams you "should beat" but rarely wins against good teams.

if tyrod can get his deep ball going with gordon he could have his best season yet.  that's where tyrod had his best year with us.  that still won't make him a top ten qb. but he might be able to go for 3500 yards and 20 plus tds which is the best qb the browns have had in decades

• Haha 1