[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

I LOVE this trade!  Now we just have to get him signed. I’m a little surprised that Botterill hasn’t talked extension,but I would imagine the price would have been quite a bit higher if he did. 

Skinner fills such such a huge need for Buffalo. He is instantly our #1 LW. He’s a great even strength goal scorer (I believe about 3/4ths of his goals have been at ES) , has scored 30+ three times (including almost 40g 2yrs ago) and more than 20 goals 6 out of his 8 NHL seasons. 

I think we finally have someone who can finish Eichel’s passes!

Between Skinner and Sherry, watch Eichel’s assist totals skyrocket! (I hope...). 

Im pumped up! I was hoping we’d trade for Skinner all offseason, but I had heard he nixed a bunch of trades at the draft and figured Buffalo was among the teams he said no to. Thrilled to learn we were very high on his list!! 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I LOVE this trade!  Now we just have to get him signed. I’m a little surprised that Botterill hasn’t talked extension,but I would imagine the price would have been quite a bit higher if he did. 

Skinner fills such such a huge need for Buffalo. He is instantly our #1 LW. He’s a great even strength goal scorer (I believe about 3/4ths of his goals have been at ES) , has scored 30+ three times (including almost 40g 2yrs ago) and more than 20 goals 6 out of his 8 NHL seasons. 

I think we finally have someone who can finish Eichel’s passes!

Between Skinner and Sherry, watch Eichel’s assist totals skyrocket! (I hope...). 

Im pumped up! I was hoping we’d trade for Skinner all offseason, but I had heard he nixed a bunch of trades at the draft and figured Buffalo was among the teams he said no to. Thrilled to learn we were very high on his list!! 

Someone who can actually skate!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure Skinner's career sweet spot (which is right now) jibes with our window (still several years away) but he will probably bring a 1st round draft pick if we move him at the deadline.  That would give us FOUR 1st rounders next year.

If we re-sign him, we get a legit even strength scorer.

He loves to dive and I am not a big Skinner fan, but value for value, we easily win this trade.

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not sure Skinner's career sweet spot (which is right now) jibes with our window (still several years away) but he will probably bring a 1st round draft pick if we move him at the deadline.  That would give us FOUR 1st rounders next year.

He loves to dive and I am not a big Skinner fan, but value for value, we easily win this trade.

He's only 26, I would not be worried about his "sweet spot", I think he has several really good years left.

26 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

At some point you have to change the culture and aim higher than 31st overall.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Not sure Skinner's career sweet spot (which is right now) jibes with our window (still several years away) but he will probably bring a 1st round draft pick if we move him at the deadline.  

1) Does accepting one trade wipe out your NMC? ( not sure if he had NTC or NMC)

2) If as speculated, an extension is  close, I would assume it too carries a NMC of some sort.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Does accepting one trade wipe out your NMC? ( not sure if he had NTC or NMC)

2) If as speculated, an extension is  close, I would assume it too carries a NMC of some sort.

According to John Vogl, he had a no movement clause and agreed to waive it to come here. 

Its for naught if they cant sign him (and not give him outrageous money).

They gave up 4 assets for a pending UFA player they might just be trading at the deadline.

You would hope Botterill has had conversations and know what ballpark Skinner wants and is prepared to pay that?

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its for naught if they cant sign him (and not give him outrageous money).

They gave up 4 assets for a pending UFA player they might just be trading at the deadline.

You would hope Botterill has had conversations and know what ballpark Skinner wants and is prepared to pay that?

He hasn't.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Lower standards for the home team players is acceptable if done sparingly. :)

I'm not so sure he can do it sparingly though.  I always got a good laugh out of the fans around here who would brag about how he draws more tripping penalties than anyone else.  You realize how he's doing that, right?

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm not so sure he can do it sparingly though.  I always got a good laugh out of the fans around here who would brag about how he draws more tripping penalties than anyone else.  You realize how he's doing that, right?

Acting is a talent. When it is done by the home team embrace it; when it is done by the opposition be outraged. Sports are like politics: One's view is very much determined by what side of the fence you are standing on. Tribalism overwhelms objectivity. :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC

8-3: Hurricanes' Pre-Game and Web Host Mike Maniscalco Discusses the Jeff Skinner trade on WGR (12:23)

Maniscalco - The #Sabres are getting a guy who can score goals on the wing. He's a pure goal scorer. I'm sure there will be nights where you will want more defensively from him, but if he's a 25-to-35-goal guy, you can forgive him for that.

Maniscalco - I don't want to say he's a hard-headed kid, but he's not going to be a Selke Trophy winner. He loves the game, he loves to score goals, and he's usually the first player on the ice for practice, and the last guy off the ice. #Sabres

Maniscalco - I can't remember the last time the #Sabres had a player on the ice that could get the puck on his stick and just score goals and create offense the way he can.

Maniscalco - Skinner is not a problem off the ice. He's never gotten in trouble away from the rink in eight years in Carolina. He lives to play hockey and score goals. He's not a vocal leader, but if you let him play, he will make people in Buffalo very happy. #Sabres

Maniscalco - Skinner does get streaky, but he is a clutch goal scorer.  He's had good centers to play with, but he's never had guys who can get him the puck in prime areas to score goals. I think he has a couple of those guys in Buffalo. #Sabres

Maniscalco - the last four years, Skinner has not missed a game due to concussion. I think that narrative about him can be calmed down. He's been fairly durable. #Sabres

I am still all pumped up from this trade. If Skinner is signed long term, this has the potential to be one of the more lopsided trades in Sabres history. 

Botterill has done done an excellent job in his trades for players. 

Imagine if someone had said to you that we could turn Ennis, Foligno, Pu + 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks into Scandella, Sheary sand Skinner... 

We all would have laughed and told that person they were out to lunch... 

Botts has been excellent at making these low risk, high reward type trades. 

It’s such a stark difference from Tim Murray, who seemed to overpay in every trade.

I can only imagine what he’d have given up for Skinner...  

To be fair though, I would have liked to see more value come back in the Kane + ROR trade. But I think there were extenuating circumstances in both cases. So I have a hard time laying all the blame on Botterill. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wow. He’s tied with Connor McDavid for 7th in even strength goal scoring over the past 3 seasons. That is impressive! 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Winning the draft lottery for Dahlin and giving up peanuts for Skinner.  Three 1st round picks next year.  We may be in an alternate universe.

Is this like when we traded for the rights of that dude that wanted to play for the Rangers?  At least we'll get some ice time this time.  I thought Pu was good.  Is that not true?

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is this like when we traded for the rights of that dude that wanted to play for the Rangers?  At least we'll get some ice time this time.  I thought Pu was good.  Is that not true?

Pu didn't really make any headway this past season, but still productive.   I would put him into the category of players like Bailey and Baptiste.  Its good to have a pile of them because 1 out of 5 or so will pan out to be a contributor in the NHL.

30 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well, you weren't going to get Skinner for literally nothing.

33 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think that trade for Vesey was worth the gamble..we had 3 threes that year. And I would say that at  worst Sabres can get a 1st for Skinner if you cannot get a deal done..but me thinks that pesky NMC can still rear its ugly head.

Edited by plenzmd1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Acting is a talent. When it is done by the home team embrace it; when it is done by the opposition be outraged. Sports are like politics: One's view is very much determined by what side of the fence you are standing on. Tribalism overwhelms objectivity. :ph34r:

Everyone has their limits though.  I for one always hated the way Pat Kaleta played hockey and that was a case where you actually had that extra level of tribalism due to him being a local.  When it comes to Skinner though, I'll be curious to see if he has toned it down a bit in recent years.  My view of him is a few years old at this point.

But who am I kidding, I still don't think I'll be watching much this year.  I'm still not at the point where I feel like it's worth the price of center ice.

51 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think that trade for Vesey was worth the gamble..we had 3 threes that year. And I would say that at  worst Sabres can get a 1st for Skinner if you cannot get a deal done..but me thinks that pesky NMC can still rear its ugly head.

I would think he will be more than happy to go to a playoff team with good players to prove himself for a few months in his contract year (he has also never played in a playoff game).

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

Everyone has their limits though.  I for one always hated the way Pat Kaleta played hockey and that was a case where you actually had that extra level of tribalism due to him being a local.  When it comes to Skinner though, I'll be curious to see if he has toned it down a bit in recent years.  My view of him is a few years old at this point.

But who am I kidding, I still don't think I'll be watching much this year.  I'm still not at the point where I feel like it's worth the price of center ice.

Last year, I had Center Ice  I stopped watching the Sabres after the first half of the season. What was worse than being atrocious was that they were boring to watch. This year, I will again purchase the Center Ice. I may be foolish in my optimism but I do see the makings of a more entertaining product. 

The era of the Kaleta type player is over with. Teams can't any longer afford to include palooka players on their rosters. Kaleta was an earnest player who had no talent. Thankfully, that era vanished with the inception of modern hockey that for the most part has banished thuggery. For the neanderthals who still enjoy that brand of criminal play they should watch wrestling. I don't give a dam what anyone else thinks fighting should be banned!

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Cmon really ? I think CI is a steal, even just to watch other games. Plus, if I didn’t have it, wife would prolly want me to talk with her more. Worth its price just so I have the  excuse to go outside, make a fire, watch a hockey, and drink a few beers in peace?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

C'mon, with Eichel, Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, and now Skinner, the Sabres are suddenly putting a team with a lot of excitement on the ice.  I think they're going to be very fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Cmon really ? I think CI is a steal, even just to watch other games. Plus, if I didn’t have it, wife would prolly want me to talk with her more. Worth its price just so I have the  excuse to go outside, make a fire, watch a hockey, and drink a few beers in peace?

I don't watch other teams enough.  The nationally televised games are more than enough for what I would watch over the course of the year.  So CI is pretty much just for Sabres games in my house.  I really hope they'll someday finally get to the point where the package is sold on a team-by-team basis instead.

17 hours ago, ricojes said:

He's only 26, I would not be worried about his "sweet spot", I think he has several really good years left.

By the time Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, etc. are firing on all cylinders, Skinner will be at a different place in his career.

He may still be as productive as now, but he may not be as well. 

This team is still a way's away.

8-3: Jeff Skinner with Schopp & the Bulldog (10:58)

Skinner - The trade did come together pretty quickly. There's usually a lull in July & August. There had been some talks with my agent, was prepared for a quick turnaround that could happen.

Skinner - I'm excited to move on & play in Buffalo. The process went along very smoothly.

Skinner - I didn't turn down any offers. I think this is the only offer Carolina brought to me.

Skinner - When it came to Buffalo, you look at the young core they have. It's exciting for me to join that.

Skinner - I know a few people that played in Buffalo and it was all positive things. Talking about the organization, the fans, the city. Add that with that young core. I'm excited to be a piece of that puzzle.

Skinner on contract status - It's a little early I think. Just became a Sabre... I'm looking forward to getting started there.

Skinner adds that he hasn't talked money with the Sabres yet.

Skinner on Eichel - Yeah he's pretty good I guess... Probably one of the top centerman in the league. As a winger, anytime you can play with a guy like that, it's pretty fun.

Skinner on the Toronto rivalry - I'm excited to be a little closer to home. I think my family is all pretty firm Sabres fans now.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8-3: TSN's Scott Cullen on WGR (14:07)

Cullen - Buffalo is going to get to benefit from his shot percentages improving.

Cullen - One thing that is underrated about Skinner, over the last few seasons his most frequent centers are Derek Ryan & Victor Rask... Not guys you want setting up your top goal-scorer.

Cullen on Skinner - It's easy to say that another 30-goal season is within his reach.

Cullen - If you're Buffalo, you go into this hoping that Skinner likes the idea of playing with Jack Eichel. That maybe this is something you can do for longer than one season.

Cullen - The chance to get someone that wants to come to your city. If he's interested in coming, he might be interested in staying.

Cullen - If the #Sabres are willing to pay whatever the going rate is for a 30-goal winger, this could be something that goes longer than a season.

Cullen - You don't want to go 7 or 8 (years) unless it's the superstars of the league. Maybe it's something similar to what JVR got in Philadelphia. Maybe it's a little less than $7 million per.

Cullen on the #Sabres this year - I don't look at them & say "well now this is a playoff team". It's a climb to get there. If all these things fall into place though, maybe they are in contention for a playoff spot.

Cullen - This gives the #Sabres a much better chance to be competitive. Skinner trade, Berglund & Sobotka coming in, the rookies coming in.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

C'mon, with Eichel, Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, and now Skinner, the Sabres are suddenly putting a team with a lot of excitement on the ice.  I think they're going to be very fun to watch.

This team is significantly reconstituted from last year's atrocious, spiritless and bland team. One main difference is this team collectively is going to be faster. The team was too slow and sluggish to keep up with the rest of the league. The more competitive makeup of the team should make a difference. 

While recognizing that the Sabres were the worst team in the league I still do believe that this team can be a fringe playoff contending team. For that to happen we need some help from some unexpected players such as Bogo and Okposo. And what this team also needs is steady and consistent goal tending. 

I agree with you that this should be a much more entertaining team to watch. I'm looking forward to the season. 

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sorry I missed this one earlier. We waived his NMC to come here. The clause should now be voided. 

7 hours ago, shrader said:

Sorry I missed this one earlier. We waived his NMC to come here. The clause should now be voided. 

Ah okay..i was not sure if that was the case

15 hours ago, shrader said:

I really hope they'll someday finally get to the point where the package is sold on a team-by-team basis instead.

I think they do that now, but its only like $20 cheaper...might as well pay he whole nut 

14 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

By the time Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, etc. are firing on all cylinders, Skinner will be at a different place in his career.

He may still be as productive as now, but he may not be as well. 

This team is still a way's away.

why is it that teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Black Hawks, and the Leafs can all be good when their studs were 1-3 years in the league, but we are 4 years away? I think they should be good NOW..they have the talent.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ah okay..

why is it that teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Black Hawks, and the Leafs can all be good when their studs were 1-3 years in the league, but we are 4 years away? I think they should be good NOW..they have the talent.

Exacatickly!  I don't know what this is/was all about.  Waiting for horrible Murray decisions like Nylander, Bogo, ROR and neck tattoo to stop being losers?  Most of those guys are gone and some ok guys like Reinhardt still may be overrated enough to get value if we try.  Hopefully the new pickups don't celebrate by getting drunk and running over a Tim Horton's.

I see Okposo as a wild card/swing factor.  He was a good player in NY, seems like a good guy and was legitimately sick, but then again Murray liked him.....

• Like (+1) 1