La Canfora: Bills Betting "Big" on Allen and Edmunds

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to La Canfora: Bills Betting "Big" on Allen and Edmunds
33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Whoosh!  That's the sound of you for missing the play on the word BIG. 

Read the second paragraph of the OP where it talks about how much the Bills are counting on them.  Most teams count on their first round picks. The first paragraph was a set up to the second 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Read the second paragraph of the OP where it talks about how much the Bills are counting on them.  Most teams count on their first round picks. The first paragraph was a set up to the second 

Of course they are. Both are key players in th plan for long term success.   NSS and whoosh!

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have none, but you apparently do. 

Mine is simple.  Saying an NFL team is betting big on first round draft picks is roughly akin to saying water is wet.

it's not exactly a revealing article, but then again it is LaCanfora.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Mine is simple.  Saying an NFL team is betting big on first round draft picks is roughly akin to saying water is wet.

That's the title, but there's more beyond in the content with his visit to OBD including the interviews.  Sorry for your deep and painful heartburn.  :lol:

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's exactly that for his position of LB.  That kind of size is not common. 

I'm not even sure what that posters point is.

Everyone has been raving about his size, athleticism and the fact they think he can fill out even more and have good speed for an LB in the NFL. I think he's the one guy we all can be excited about.

His tackles are bigger than him? The !@#$ does that have to do with anything. Every great LB in the modern era played with tackles bigger than him.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm sorry it went over your head, but it's simple headline writing.

Edmunds is big. Allen is big. They are both first round picks, so they are betting "big". They took two really big athletic guys in the first round.

I don't see the point in disparaging him, or making the point into something else like you are. You're reaching.

8 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

But Sammy isn't "big," which is literally what the author means here. Size AND weight of expectations...

It's amazing how almost half of the three pages in this thread can't grasp that simple point.

Even in a simple, short, relatively positive write up in June, Bills fans can even find a way to B word about the author. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills still have a full draft in 2019 and buckets of cash for free agents to replace Allen and Edmunds if they're really that bad (which they won't be).

How is it such a big bet?

Edited by Golden Goat

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Everyone has been raving about his size, athleticism and the fact they think he can fill out even more and have good speed for an LB in the NFL. I think he's the one guy we all can be excited about.

His tackles are bigger than him? The !@#$ does that have to do with anything. Every great LB in the modern era played with tackles bigger than him.

Edmunds is big. Allen is big. They are both first round picks, so they are betting "big". They took two really big athletic guys in the first round.

I don't see the point in disparaging him, or making the point into something else like you are. You're reaching.

It's amazing how almost half of the three pages in this thread can't grasp that simple point.

Even in a simple, short, relatively positive write up in June, Bills fans can even find a way to B word about the author. 

I think the thrust of his article was not big in size but in impact.  Which is the case for every first round pick.  

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

But Sammy isn't "big," which is literally what the author means here. Size AND weight of expectations...

You should follow other people's conversations before you comment.  You don't want to end up shooting an elephant in your pajamas.

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Read my history in the thread before you challenge my reading comprehension.

21 hours ago, Lurker said:

Like all first round pics pan out?   Sammy Watkins says hello...

What I replied to originally.

Ol D B,. This is not the first time I've had an argument with you that show cases your reading comprehension...  "Skills"

3 hours ago, JaxBills said:

You should follow other people's conversations before you comment.  You don't want to end up shooting an elephant in your pajamas.

Not sure what you're chasing here, but whatever. 

The term "reading comprehension" is a fun one to see thrown about. Grazie mille.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:39 AM, HappyDays said:

This is what worries me the most and I hope they have a plan to correct it, if that's possible. QBs with area code accuracy can only take you so far in the NFL. Either we fix it or we build an offense with very few short throws.

If one has ever played quarterback or been a pitcher in baseball,  they understand that repetition is the cure. I played both positions and struggled with throws to first base or passes in the flats.  I think it is safe to assume Allen can make short throws, but at times something holds him back. With me it was overthinking the process too much. The more thinking, the worse the results. This small phenomenon has ended careers. I had a catcher who had to switch positions because he couldn't throw the ball back to the mound. (See Major League 2 as poor mans sample.) He could throw out runners stealing second base just fine. I have seen this playing, and coaching. I don't feel Allen has that big of a problem with it as the media projects. It may have gotten into his mind a little bit, but not to the point where he does it more than one out of 8 short passes.

One has to realize how many eyes are on Allen . Waiting for the smallest of screwups. Just like they are with Mayfield getting tipped passes, or Darnold fumbling. It is human nature, people wanting to be proven correct or see people fail. I managed to fix myself and others through repetition. Taking the thinking out of it and let muscle memory take over. That is how great shooters in basketball  take themselves out of shooting slumps. They let muscle memory take back over. Same goes for golfers and other sports.   (Edit: For those of you who are going to suggest I take my talents around the NFL, I am booked out for the next 10 years. ?).

Edited by BB@Shooter

On 6/1/2018 at 10:33 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

No feather ruffling here.  At this juncture, you aren't going to get much ground breaking analysis from analysts who critique Allen so I'm not sure what you expect. 

I am on another board, and someone was getting on another poster for his putting Josh Allen stories on the board. He was mad because he got tired of people bashing Josh Allen. As far as I am concerned the reader doesn't have to read the articles, they can skip over them. I myself like having the information at hand. I don't necessarily like what is written in them, but I am glad someone posted them. My biggest complaint is the quality of what some so-called reporters put out. You hardly ever see any originality . You do see a lot of laziness and agendas. Whatever happened to writing a piece and letting the reader come to their own conclusion? One of the biggest problems with media these days is not getting it correct or having quality, it is about who is first or who can get a following. Too many jock shock /shock jock guys out there these days in my opinion. It used to be a nice change to see that sort of thing out there, now it is overkill. This in not a rub on any poster, just a few thoughts.

Edited by BB@Shooter
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I am on another board, and someone was getting on another poster for his putting Josh Allen stories on the board. He was mad because he got tired of people bashing Josh Allen. As far as I am concerned the reader doesn't have to read the articles, they can skip over them. I myself like having the information at hand. I don't necessarily like what is written in them, but I am glad someone posted them. My biggest complaint is the quality of what some so-called reporters put out. You hardly ever see any originality . You do see a lot of laziness and agendas. Whatever happened to writing a piece and letting the reader come to their own conclusion? One of the biggest problems with media these days is not getting it correct or having quality, it is about who is first or who can get a following. Too many jock shock guys out there these days in my opinion. It used to be a nice change to see that sort of thing out there, now it is overkill. This in not a rub on any poster, just a few thoughts.

a fine post.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Not sure what you're chasing here, but whatever. 

The term "reading comprehension" is a fun one to see thrown about. Grazie mille.

I was quoted out of context and lumped up into a an opinion that I do not share.

I desire to not be lumped up with a group of people because some idiot doesn't know how to read.

I hope that makes it clear enough

On 6/1/2018 at 9:49 AM, Limeaid said:

Hulking?  He is tall but 240 is NOT a lot that big.  At his height you expect him to be at least 230.  Almost all of his tackles are taller than him.

LaConjecture is conjecturing again not reporting.

With your logic, in the huddle this means he is taller than 8 other guys- just sayin’. Disclaimer- I am too lazy to find out who Josh was in the huddle with at the time this was noticed/written and verify heights ?

On 6/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, oldmanfan said:

Except that in both cases, the Bills traded up for Allen and Edmunds. That is above the usual investment. I think that's the gist.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 6/2/2018 at 8:08 AM, JaxBills said:

You should follow other people's conversations before you comment.  You don't want to end up shooting an elephant in your pajamas.,. 

Always appreciate a Groucho Marx reference. But I gotta ask, just how does an elephant get in your pajamas?

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Always appreciate a Groucho Marx reference. But I gotta ask, just how does an elephant get in your pajamas?

That's why I shot him.

I had an English teacher years ago that used that as emphasis to specify your subject.  Its always stuck with me.

• Like (+1) 1

Aren't all draft picks a bet? No matter how good they were in college, there's never a guarantee that they're going to translate that to the NFL (see: Richardson, Trent). 

I mean, maybe they're gambling a bit more because Allen and Edmunds are both "raw" or whatever but this front office isn't drafting players who aren't ready to come in and work. Half the time when a prospect fizzles out, it's because his work ethic is poop. Allen, Edmunds and the whole 2018 group are workers, which has become a staple of a McBeane prospect/player. 

There are "Core players" and there are "supplemental players".  Teams likely have 6 to 10 core players that you build around. These are usually top 10 picks (Carson Wentz or Luke Kuechly) or you get Lucky (Brady, Richard Sherman).  You keep them for at least two contract cycles. When you have a chance to get two young ones in one draft -- you do it. 

You rotate your core when they age out.  Sure it's a big bet...but both these guys are potential core..add to Tre De'; Dion Dawkins and keep adding. At the end of next year, we may have added another or two (2019 #1 and someone like Matt Milano who emerges)...that would be 5 or 6 core players with 3 years or less experience. That's a solid foundation of playmakers. Its all a crapshoot, but I like the way the Bills are playing their hand...