"Josh Allen is blowing people away" - Chris Simms

Estro

23 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Sorry I'm so late to the thread, but can you really "blow people away" in Ota's? I mean they're not even really legit practices 

In the video he explains that it means he’s impressive in the classroom, approach, work ethic, and on the field drills. 

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not spending 10M for AJ to hold a clipboard.  He'll start and take some lumps as Josh watches and learns,  as it should be.  Peterman will be on the PS as insurance. 

What are you, Edgar Cayce reincarnated?

24 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Fans don't want him in because conditions aren't ideal, but since when in life are conditions ideal?

I have a feeling that the people wanting him to start will be the first ones to give up in him if he struggles. I think it's them wanting to write the book on Allen. They want to judge the pick as soon as possible. I don't think it's them wanting Allen to start because it will make the team better. 

If he starts and struggles I bet no one calling for him to start will say it was a mistake to rush him in. They will only say Allen sucks. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nope. That was actually a metaphor. A poorly chosen one, maybe. How 'bout, how the stew is steeping instead. I've made a stew.

"the stew is steeping"

Ever actually made a stew?

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not spending 10M for AJ to hold a clipboard.  He'll start and take some lumps as Josh watches and learns,  as it should be.  Peterman will be on the PS as insurance. 

Yes they are--that's straight up backup money.  It's over 2 years.  Some incentives for playing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I have a feeling that the people wanting him to start will be the first ones to give up in him if he struggles. I think it's them wanting to write the book on Allen. They want to judge the pick as soon as possible. I don't think it's them wanting Allen to start because it will make the team better. 

If he starts and struggles I bet no one calling for him to start will say it was a mistake to rush him in. They will only say Allen sucks. 

Really? I was the one comparing Allen's arm to Johnny Unitas' and his frame and escapability to Big Ben. IF he beats out McCarron, you start him, period. If he beats out a 5 year vet he is ready for showtime.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Really? I was the one comparing Allen's arm to Johnny Unitas' and his frame and escapability to Big Ben. IF he beats out McCarron, you start him, period. If he beats out a 5 year vet he is ready for showtime.

Just a reminder. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead.com/2012/09/26/cam-newton-carolina-honeymoon-is-over-hello-kitty-panther-cartoon/amp/?source=images

cam-newton-hello-kitty.jpg

Edited by Lfod

That one went over my head. Oh, well. I don't see how you don't start the best man, if he wins the job, an honest competition, why do you feel he isn't ready? 

Just showing you some media around Cam Newton when he had his early  struggles. I don't think the team is ready. 

Edited by Lfod

22 hours ago, brianthomas said:

What Simms had to say all sounds good to me. He said Allen is supposedly 'wowwing everyone on all sorts of levels'. If thats true then we all are in store for one helluva player.

Just like everyone I can't wait for the season to start & to see what this team looks like.

One thing that made me facepalm a bit tho with the podcast is the one guy bringing up the stupid tweets again. I've never really considered Allens tweets to be anything really serious, but i do hate how often these media types like to throw it out there, just in the hopes for some controversy or something.

Of course after Allen wins his 6th Superbowl they won't even remember those tweets.

Anyways, thanks for sharing & GO BILLS!

Why stop at 6?

How did that turn out?

Well I've given my opinion about the Bills being cautious. I think it's a wise approach. I'm not against Allen starting. I'm not saying my opinion is fact, I just feel strongly. I don't think the team is ready based on last season. It's the present now I understand that. 

Edited by Lfod

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Well I've given my opinion about the Bills being cautious. I think it's a wise approach. I'm not against Allen starting. I'm not saying my opinion is fact, I just feel strongly. 

Right, but if he beats out McCarron that likely means Allen is red-hot. This isn't a newborn child we're talking about here, this is a 6'5 240lbs manbeast with a !@#$ing rocket launcher arm, he's worked his entire life for this.

Edited by NewDayBills
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Right, but if he beats out McCarron that likely means Allen is red-hot. This isn't a newborn child we're talking about here, this is a 6'5 240lbs manbeast with a !@#$ing rocket launcher arm, he's worked his entire life for this.

The only way I'll criticize the Bills for starting Allen is if he suffers a serious injury. I'm talking season ending. I don't even blame McDermott for starting Peterman. In fact I still support the fact he did it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

The only way I'll criticize the Bills for starting Allen is if he suffers a serious injury. I'm talking season ending. I don't even blame McDermott for starting Peterman. In fact I still support the fact he did it. 

Why is that?

I immediately thought of Deshaun Watson. Houston wasn’t criticized for starting him. In fact they were criticized for not starting him sooner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Ajm looked good with the ones today

the ideal scenario is that Allen can sit for a bit and let the game slow down for him having a vet in front of him in the roster

What if he doesn't need the game to slow down for him? What if McCarron does? Then what? I just think it is best to wait and see how it plays out. It is so early in the process. If Allen is ready and wins the job, why make him wait?  Why delay his development for another year. It would only tell the team they have to wait to win. When I coach I always put my best team on the field or court. Why wouldn't this staff do the same? It is just another way of looking at it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why is that?

I immediately thought of Deshaun Watson. Houston wasn’t criticized for starting him. In fact they were criticized for not starting him sooner. 

I really don't know if the situation is the same. I would have to ask if Watson started on a team with a new OC when the last OC was fired the year before. Did the line lose a couple key players like our line lost woods and Incognito? 

Was a new scheme being implemented at the start of Watson's career? Even escape artist Tyrod got planted on his head and had to take a seat his last game of the year with the line we had before we lost players. 

How long does it take for a new OC to implement a new scheme and everything to gel together anyway? Was the result of Watson being injured a good one? 

Did the Texans spend as much draft capital on Allen as the Texans did with Watson. Was it a new GMs first draft with a HC going into his second year? 

I just think with all that going on it wouldn't be reasonable to question why the rush to throw out your rookie QB that you invested heavily in on a team that's cap strapped and hit with a few unplanned curve balls. 

Did Watson have a receiving core that is looked down upon like our current one is. I mean Zay almost jumped out a window man. Now dude getting surgery and will it effect anything? Is it that crazy to think it would look stupid if Allen starts and calamiy happens and he sits for the rest of the year anyway due to injury? Would it have been worth the risk because people are riding the hype of a rookie QB? 

Is Allen that good coming out of college people want to bank on him having an immediate impact on a team that was having struggles scoring points the year before. Anything can happen but wow man. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Ajm looked good with the ones today

the ideal scenario is that Allen can sit for a bit and let the game slow down for him having a vet in front of him in the roster

I don't think McD would rush Allen in if he looked unprepared in pre-season but I worry that McD would rush in Allen if the team was floundering offensively and the season is slipping away. McD rushed in Peterman over Tyrod who is a competent pro-QB because the offense which had no NFL receivers that weren't hurt was floundering.

Allen starting the last 2-4 games of the season is fine if the season is lost but rushing him in for a lot of games with a bad O-line and lacking in receivers could long-term derail his development and confidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

What if he doesn't need the game to slow down for him? What if McCarron does? Then what? I just think it is best to wait and see how it plays out. It is so early in the process. If Allen is ready and wins the job, why make him wait?  Why delay his development for another year. It would only tell the team they have to wait to win. When I coach I always put my best team on the field or court. Why wouldn't this staff do the same? It is just another way of looking at it.

Let me repeat what I said

"I was pleasantly suprised to hear that AJM looked good with the ones"

Currently Allen is running with the THIRD team now how much can we gleam from that?  Not much because its against air.....but if AJM is not a disaster that would be a good thing for this team.

So often ppl want to see their new shiny toy. 

If Allen wins it outright....you cant keep him on the bench....it would be good to see AJM give him a run for his money.

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The cartoon is just an example of some guy riding the hype and jumping ship during struggle. Like I predict a lot of people will do if Allen struggles. It's not hard to understand. Well I guess it is....

I still haven't seen any good arguments to start Allen besides hypothetical what ifs.

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

The cartoon is just an example of some guy riding the hype and jumping ship during struggle. Like I predict a lot of people will do if Allen struggles. It's not hard to understand. 

I still haven't seen any good arguments to start Allen besides hypothetical what ifs.

Could be my friend, I'm just going of the reports that are saying he is having a Carson Wentz type of impact early on.

13 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Could be my friend, I'm just going of the reports that are saying he is having a Carson Wentz type of impact early on.

Is QB the only thing the Bills offence is missing? Nick Foles won the Superbowl. Would Nick Foles bring the Bills to the Superbowl and win next season? 

Edited by Lfod

Just now, Lfod said:

Is QB the only thing the Bills offence is missing? 

I'm giving you every way out of this and you are not helping yourself out of this, that was not what was being discussed. You said we were going off of hypotheticals, we are going off of reports, you know like the thread you're posting in. By all means, if Josh Allen looks like a Carson Wentz Jr, there is no way you don't start him.

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm giving you every way out of this and you are not helping yourself out of this, that was not what was being discussed. You said we were going off of hypotheticals, we are going off of reports, you know like the thread you're posting in. By all means, if Josh Allen looks like a Carson Wentz Jr, there is no way you don't start him.

In the spirit of being a good sport I won't push my opinion. I put it on record and I will own it when the time comes. We have different philosophies and I respect that. 

I did enjoy the discourse. I look forward to revisiting the discussion on Allen during preseason and the start of the season.

Obviously I think a lot of successful QBs wouldn't exactly have the same success starting for the Bills next season let alone a rookie QB with a huge potential to be great, but that is of course my opinion. 

Obviously I want Allen to be successful, the sooner the better. So I hope people don't get the impression that I don't want that. I'm going to need to see it to believe it. Thanks for the civil debate. 

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Every QB needs a good system and supporting cast all on the same page to succeed.

Its something Buffalo doesn't have right now.

Edited by Figster

13 hours ago, Lfod said:

I really don't know if the situation is the same. I would have to ask if Watson started on a team with a new OC when the last OC was fired the year before. Did the line lose a couple key players like our line lost woods and Incognito? 

Was a new scheme being implemented at the start of Watson's career? Even escape artist Tyrod got planted on his head and had to take a seat his last game of the year with the line we had before we lost players. 

How long does it take for a new OC to implement a new scheme and everything to gel together anyway? Was the result of Watson being injured a good one? 

Did the Texans spend as much draft capital on Allen as the Texans did with Watson. Was it a new GMs first draft with a HC going into his second year? 

I just think with all that going on it wouldn't be reasonable to question why the rush to throw out your rookie QB that you invested heavily in on a team that's cap strapped and hit with a few unplanned curve balls. 

Did Watson have a receiving core that is looked down upon like our current one is. I mean Zay almost jumped out a window man. Now dude getting surgery and will it effect anything? Is it that crazy to think it would look stupid if Allen starts and calamiy happens and he sits for the rest of the year anyway due to injury? Would it have been worth the risk because people are riding the hype of a rookie QB? 

Is Allen that good coming out of college people want to bank on him having an immediate impact on a team that was having struggles scoring points the year before. Anything can happen but wow man. 

They had one of the worst olines in the league and traded away the best player,  LT Duane Brown, mid-season. The only two players on the OL who played every game were the LG and RT. They used 7 different line combos due to injury and trading Brown.

To get Watson, they  gave up this year’s 1st, which ended up being the 4th overall pick, in addition to last year’s 1st. I’d say that’s a hefty investment.

Not sure what the bolded means but I’ll go with no. Also, Houston doesn’t have an OC but they did fire the OC the year before.  They fired George Godsey at the end of 2016 and  BOB decided to do it all himself. The QB coach Sean Ryan was in his first season, as in he had never even been a QB coach. He previously had coached WR. Sound familiar?

Im not saying I do or do not want Allen to start. I won’t be surprised if he does though given what this regime has said and done since they got here. I was just asking why you would only criticize them for it if he had season ending injury. It was an odd statement (to me). 

Watson may have had a better #1 WR in Hopkins at his disposal, but he was on a team so poor last year they finished with the 4th worst record (mainly without him as he only ended up playing 6 games), O’Brien didn’t bother hiring an OC, had a 1st yr QB coach, traded his LT instead of paying him, shuffled around the OL all year, and the environment was toxic as he forced out the GM and the owner referred to the players as inmates. Not only that but his TE was out all year with concussions and then retired, his #2 WR missed 6 games due to injury and his defense was ranking last in the league. It was far from ideal, if that was what you were thinking. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

"the stew is steeping"

Ever actually made a stew?

Um, the part where I said, "I've made a stew," might maybe serve as a hint. Perhaps you're purely joking? It wasn't clear to me.

Stew was one of the few dishes I was actually pretty good at.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, the part where I said, "I've made a stew," might maybe serve as a hint. Perhaps you're purely joking? It wasn't clear to me.

Stew was one of the few dishes I was actually pretty good at.

It was a joke. 

Your first analogy was both on point and better than the second. FYI.

I just read an article on Yahoo's front page that mentioned this from Simms.  Here it is -https://www.yahoo.com/sports/little-month-draft-first-round-qbs-152832915.html

It also discusses every other 1st round QB, but it makes a good point -

"The norm is that everyone spends May gushing about their first-round rookie quarterback. If you’re hearing nothing but negative reviews, then worry.

Take all of the minicamp and OTA updates with proper skepticism. Everyone looks better in helmets and shorts, without a pass rush bearing down on them. Every pick is a home run at this point."

"To repeat: Any bit of praise about a rookie in May probably means little."

But hey, I'll take glowing reviews ,whether they're a sign of things to come or not, over bad reviews all day every day. Glad to see people are high on him at the moment. Hope he keeps it up :)