In a few weeks, Buffalo will no longer be the worst team in sports

11 hours ago, mileena said:

I started liking them in 2012-13 when they finished second in their division.  My favorite team is the Boston Celtics (who, if they had Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward, would have easily beaten the Cavaliers).

First LOL, you're in "pure ecstasy" over a team you started to like when they happened to start contending for titles???  Oh and you mean how if Chris Paul didn't get hurt in the closing seconds of Game 5, this thread easily doesn't exist?  Same logic applies to your "Cavs should be 0-3", Warriors shouldn't even be in the Finals this year.

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Game 7 was average for LeBron in terms of his production. The Celtics pooped all over themselves and showed their inexperience. 

It was more than simple inexperience, especially since the most inexperienced player, Tatum, did his part, including posterizing the King of the East.  I like this celts team, but Lebron is the GOAT.  

1 assist away from a monster triple double, that may be average for the GOAT, but it was still an absolutely dominant performance on both ends of the court.   I never thought I would switch from the "MJ is the greatest" camp, but when you see what Lebron is doing at 33, and his absolute dominance and command over the game vs the other guys in his draft class like Melo and Wade who are in the twilight s of their careers, and then taking this garbage Cavs team to yet another finals, without Love in game 7, there is no question- Lebron is the best all around player in the history of the game.

12 hours ago, mileena said:

Being from the Bay Area, I am in ecstacy that the Golden State Warriors just reached their fourth consecutive NBA league championship, as did the Cleveland Cavaliers yesterday. This got me thinking: who was the last team to reach four straight finals in the four major sports? Oh, that's right: the Buffalo Bills. Which led me to think of their four straight Super Bowl losses and how everyone makes fun of that.

Well, in about two to three weeks, the Cleveland Cavaliers willl lose yet again to the Warriors in the NBA Finals. They also lost last year in 2017, and in 2015. They should have lost in 2016 too when they were down 3-1. So, basically, the Cavs should be 0-4 in the last four finals, and 0-5 overall. So, 0-5 is worse than 0-4 for the Bills (who really should be 1-3 since they should have beaten the Giants in SB XXV), so the Cleveland Cavaliers will be the new worst team in the four major sports.

LOL. Cleveland sucks; Buffalo rocks.

This is one of the least clever troll attempts I've ever seen.

3 hours ago, rodneykm said:

Quite a bit actually. He's looked a lot more tired than he's ever looked. No one can go forever and I truly think LeBrons time is coming to a close. 1 more elite year and then a couple of "just good" ones then retirement.  

Wow.  Just wow.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I live in the bay too, and !@#$ all Bay Area teams. 

Go A's & Warriors, screw everyone else. How do you hate the A's? What did they ever do to deserve a !@#$????  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

It was more than simple inexperience, especially since the most inexperienced player, Tatum, did his part, including posterizing the King of the East.  I like this celts team, but Lebron is the GOAT.  

1 assist away from a monster triple double, that may be average for the GOAT, but it was still an absolutely dominant performance on both ends of the court.   I never thought I would switch from the "MJ is the greatest" camp, but when you see what Lebron is doing at 33, and his absolute dominance and command over the game vs the other guys in his draft class like Melo and Wade who are in the twilight s of their careers, and then taking this garbage Cavs team to yet another finals, without Love in game 7, there is no question- Lebron is the best all around player in the history of the game.

It’s a totally different era of hoops, the east is a joke. You mention Love’s absence but not Kyrie and Hayward. A bad Pacers team in 7 games, the sweep of a soft Raptors team, then a win over the short handed Celtics. The best player on an opposing team may have been Victor Oladipo, I’m not sure this is some great feat. 

FWIW the Cavs were better without Love in plus/minus before his injury. Love is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, mileena said:

Being from the Bay Area, I am in ecstacy that the Golden State Warriors just reached their fourth consecutive NBA league championship, as did the Cleveland Cavaliers yesterday. This got me thinking: who was the last team to reach four straight finals in the four major sports? Oh, that's right: the Buffalo Bills. Which led me to think of their four straight Super Bowl losses and how everyone makes fun of that.

Well, in about two to three weeks, the Cleveland Cavaliers willl lose yet again to the Warriors in the NBA Finals. They also lost last year in 2017, and in 2015. They should have lost in 2016 too when they were down 3-1. So, basically, the Cavs should be 0-4 in the last four finals, and 0-5 overall. So, 0-5 is worse than 0-4 for the Bills (who really should be 1-3 since they should have beaten the Giants in SB XXV), so the Cleveland Cavaliers will be the new worst team in the four major sports.

Should be is not IS... looking forward to see the Whining Warriors go down and LeBron win another championship.

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

...we currently have the longest playoff drought?

umm...take away the past season.....than yes we did have the longest playoff drought which would constitute us as being up there as one of the worst teams in sports.......

18 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s a totally different era of hoops, the east is a joke. You mention Love’s absence but not Kyrie and Hayward. A bad Pacers team in 7 games, the sweep of a soft Raptors team, then a win over the short handed Celtics. The best player on an opposing team may have been Victor Oladipo, I’m not sure this is some great feat. 

FWIW the Cavs were better without Love in plus/minus before his injury. Love is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. 

I agree that Love is past his prime, which is just another testament to the greatness of Lebron.

Different eras for sure, but those Bills teams with Jordan were more akin to the current Warriors team without the challenges they've faced in the west- Thunder w/KD, Spurs, and now Rockets.

Irving and Hayward weren't mentioned bc they weren't apart of this playoff run or series, unlike Love. I mean if we're going to do that, why not start drudging up what the Western Conference would've looked like with a healthy Boogie, and Kawhi?

This Cavs team is a top 3 lottery team without James- When MJ left the Bulls they still won 55 games.

The eras aren't drastically different either like with the NFL when you compare now vs the 90's.

I'd also hardly call a team that won 59 games "soft", and to eschew sweeping them doesn't seem prudent, especially when you once again take into consideration, the complete lack of talent surrounding Lebron and the fact that he was coming off putting the team on his back to win that 7 game series.  

The east is much better than it has been in past years, Celts, Sixers, Bucks, Pacers are all loaded with lots of talent and maybe the Raps can find a coach who doesn't fall apart when the post season rolls around.  

You hate on every team Lebron beat, despite the fact that if you take Lebron off that team, and the Cavs don't sniff the playoffs.  You take Hayward and Irving off the Celtics, and they still come within a game of the finals. 

Edited by ThunderGun
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

The NBA? Yawn.

NBA playoffs were fun to watch at one time. Now, its all about 3 pointers and one-on-one drives to the basket.  What happened to pick and rolls, post up's in the paint, and guys moving without the ball?  It's a terrible product.

4 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

NBA playoffs were fun to watch at one time. Now, its all about 3 pointers and one-on-one drives to the basket.  What happened to pick and rolls, post up's in the paint, and guys moving without the ball?  It's a terrible product.

But if you listen to ESPN it's going to dwarf the NFL soon :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

So you clearly didn't watch much of either Conference Finals series.

Terrible product growing more rapidly than any other sport on the entire world.

But I will say that Cavs Warriors 4 isn't doing the league any favors. Wasn't happy at all when Paul went down.  

But if you think that's all he NBA is then you simply don't watch it, or you would notice teams like Boston and San Antonio playing the style of ball you talk about.

As a fan of just about every sport and sporting event, I find the NBA to moving in the wrong direction.  I agree with others on here that cite the focus on 3 Point Shooting and the One-on-One drives, while the rest of the team stands out at the circle and watches. To say nothing of the officiating and league-paid announcers. Yuck!

I'm fearful that the NFL is headed in the same direction, in what I think must be their quest for increasingly more offense and an expanding international market. I'm never quite sure what the Commissioner is doing.

People just love to complain.

You want low scoring snoozefests, then go watch soccer or baseball.

Guys have gotten more proficient at shooting 3s, it's not as if somebody moved the line closer or made the balls smaller.

Teams are still playing TEAM basketball and solid defense (Jazz, Celtics, Spurs), but the success of the Warriors is overshadowing the things other teams are doing/building.

The only thing I really dislike about the NBA is the hypocrisy of allowing Golden State to essentially build a starting 5 of All Star talent, while blocking CP3 from going to the Lakers before he went to the Clippers.  But when you find me a perfect sports league, lmk.

Edited by ThunderGun

33 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

I agree that Love is past his prime, which is just another testament to the greatness of Lebron.

Different eras for sure, but those Bills teams with Jordan were more akin to the current Warriors team without the challenges they've faced in the west- Thunder w/KD, Spurs, and now Rockets.

Irving and Hayward weren't mentioned bc they weren't apart of this playoff run or series, unlike Love. I mean if we're going to do that, why not start drudging up what the Western Conference would've looked like with a healthy Boogie, and Kawhi?

This Cavs team is a top 3 lottery team without James- When MJ left the Bulls they still won 55 games.

The eras aren't drastically different either like with the NFL when you compare now vs the 90's.

I'd also hardly call a team that won 59 games "soft", and to eschew sweeping them doesn't seem prudent, especially when you once again take into consideration, the complete lack of talent surrounding Lebron and the fact that he was coming off putting the team on his back to win that 7 game series.  

The east is much better than it has been in past years, Celts, Sixers, Bucks, Pacers are all loaded with lots of talent and maybe the Raps can find a coach who doesn't fall apart when the post season rolls around.  

You hate on every team Lebron beat, despite the fact that if you take Lebron off that team, and the Cavs don't sniff the playoffs.  You take Hayward and Irving off the Celtics, and they still come within a game of the finals. 

I just don’t see it. In games 1, 3, and 5 he had a total of 2 points in the 4th quarter against the Celtics. That’s not the goat sorry. In the 2018 playoffs his primary defenders have been Bogdanovic, Anunoby, Morris. The best player he faced was who? Tatum? Victor? That’s a nice smooth ride into the finals. 

11 hours ago, Mark80 said:

So basically, this is akin to you starting to like the 76ers this year.  A time when it is absolutely clear that they are a young team on the rise with trophies in their future.  Congrats, you are total bandwagoner.  And this thread is absurd.

LOL. My main team is Boston. I'm no bandwagoner. I also support Golden State since I live here now. Guess you're jealous I have good teams to root for. I am disappointed in your statement.

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

And the Seahawks should have given the ball to Lynch and won their second SB in a row.  So they actually won, I guess, and the Pats didn't win whatever number that was. 

The Cavs pulled out the championship on one of their previous four tries.  I don't think they were the better team but they won.  Good for them.  As some coach once said, you are what your record says you are.  Your ACTUAL record, not the couldawouldashoulda record in your head.

73-9. Greatest season ever by an NBA team and greatest team of all time.

12 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

It's as if one of these teams has a championship and one doesn't.

They needed LeBron every time to make the NBA finals. And what do they have to show for it? 1-4, and them stealing the title in 2016 with the help of referees.

7 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

**** you’re right. But that’s skill good for a Cleveland team. Hell most of us cried like school girls just by sneaking into the playoffs 

We were extremely dominant in the laste 80's and 90's with Jim Kelly and crew; much better than Cleveland's dominance recently. I'd take Buffalo anyday over the Cavaliers.

Edited by mileena

44 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

So you clearly didn't watch much of either Conference Finals series.

Terrible product growing more rapidly than any other sport on the entire world.

But I will say that Cavs Warriors 4 isn't doing the league any favors. Wasn't happy at all when Paul went down.  

But if you think that's all he NBA is then you simply don't watch it, or you would notice teams like Boston and San Antonio playing the style of ball you talk about.

Watched a lot actually. Last night's game is a perfect example of my point. 3 pointer from both teams whenever the opportunity presented itself.  The game is much better when it's balanced.

6 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Agree - NBA?!?!?!  SMFH.....

Since I have moved to the Bay Area in 2009, our teams have won five world championsips (three by the SF Giants and two by the Warriors) and are about to win two more: Warriors this year and Golden Knights in the NHL (Las Vegas is an adopted hometown for our area due to the fact the Oakland Raiders are moving there soon). I have never enjoyed success like this in my entire life, so you can't blame me for embracing it.

Edited by mileena

5 minutes ago, mileena said:

Since I have moved to the Bay Area in 2009, our teams have won five world championsips (three by the SF Giants and two by the Warriors) and are about to win two more: Warriors this year and Golden Knights in the NHL (Las Vegas is an adopted hometown for our area due to the fact the Oakland Raiders are moving there soon). I have never enjoyed success like this in my entire life, so you can't blame me for embracing it.

But they're not your home teams you grew up with. Doesn't work that way...I've lived just outside of Philly for many years now. I have never celebrated the Eagles or Phillies championships while I have been here

22 minutes ago, nucci said:

But they're not your home teams you grew up with. Doesn't work that way...I've lived just outside of Philly for many years now. I have never celebrated the Eagles or Phillies championships while I have been here

I lived in Philly from 2000-2009. I despised the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, and Flyers. But in SF, it is hard to hate their teams, since the people are so nice. Curry, Thompson, and KD are humble, good athletes and their team was built from the ground up. The SF Giants are working class and underdogs who won the WS each time. OTOH, Philadelphia is a s---hole area and the athletes are arrogant.

I lived in Maine from 1992 to 2000 and despised the Patriots, Red Spox, and Bruins. I hated how people there made a trip to Sullivan Stadium regulary to suport the Patriots, especially in their Super Bowl year under Drew Bledsoe.

I lived in Rochester in 1989 when I went to the U of R and was furious there was a student who cheered for the SF 49ers in Wilson Commons (the student union) and made fun of the Bills on a regulalr basis. He made fun of us evertyime we lost in 1989, when we were 9-7. We had to also endure many NY Giants fans who went upstate from NCY for school there. They begged us to turn the TV to the NFL Today on CBS (covered the NFC) for the 12:30 PM weekly pre-game show, when we Bills fans watched NFL Live on NBC, which covered the AFC.

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

You're in ecstasy over a team making the championship that isn't your favorite team?  Weird!

Well, if Buffalo had an NBA team, that would be a different story. But they don't, so I am free to choose. However, for NCAA men's basketball, I am a loyal fan of Syracuse.

BTW, people from Buffalo are obligated to like the NY Yankees, as if they were called the Buffalo Yankees. The was a poll in the early to mid 80's in the Buffalo News, asking what team should Buffalo adopt for the MLB. TBN said would cover them then as if they were a home team. That team was the Yankees, who recieived an overwhelming number of votes. The only MLB team that received no votes was Atlanta.

There was a poster on the old BBMB who was from Buffalo and liked the Bills and Sabres, but also like the Mets. He had this in his signature. I was very angry at him and condemned him for being a traitor to Buffalo.

Edited by mileena

2 hours ago, JPP said:

No but having the longest playoff drought in all of sports would be the reason the Bills are up there....

17 years is nothing. The Montreal Expos had the longest post-season playoff drought: 30 years, from 1982 to 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason_droughts#Longest_postseason_droughts_in_the_expanded-postseason_era

Edited by mileena

35 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

Watched a lot actually. Last night's game is a perfect example of my point. 3 pointer from both teams whenever the opportunity presented itself.  The game is much better when it's balanced.

Last night, and Game Seven of the eastern finals were both perfect examples of how the NBA product has deteriorated. Both the Rockets and the Celtics went something like 6 for 40 from the three point line...but they just kept clanking them up there!  Clank, clank, clank.

2 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Go A's & Warriors, screw everyone else. How do you hate the A's? What did they ever do to deserve a !@#$????  

Oakland. Enough said.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cavalier Championships: 1

Bills Championships: 0

This thread: -1

Let me correct that for you:

Cavaliers Championships: 1

Bills Championships: 2

This thread: +1

Therefore: Buffalo Bills > Clevaland Cavaliers.

Edited by mileena

2 hours ago, JPP said:

umm...take away the past season.....than yes we did have the longest playoff drought which would constitute us as being up there as one of the worst teams in sports.......

...why...would we take away the past season?  Hey, by that logic, if we take away the Brady years we can clearly say the Patriots are one of the worst teams in pro sports.  ?

1 hour ago, mileena said:

LOL. My main team is Boston. I'm no bandwagoner. I also support Golden State since I live here now. Guess you're jealous I have good teams to root for. I am disappointed in your statement.

2 hours ago, JPP said:

If you take away yesterday, the Stanley Cup finals are tied at 0-0!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Fine I’ll spare the As. 

But you wouldn’t be a fan of their team if you went into their office. They have like their ALCS trophy next to their water cooler. Place is a mess that doesn’t pay their players. 

But 100% !@#$ the warriors and everyone else. 

All it takes is one championship, one parade...and the city of Cleveland got that.  They are off the list.   I read somewhere that San Diego is high on the sports suffering list, but again it's a two-sport (now one sport) town.  Buffalo has got to be right there at the top.

16 hours ago, mileena said:

I'm a "cup half full" mind of guy myself, but this is just wrong.

The "should have" and "should be" parts of your post aren't a true reflection of reality. If they were, the history books would reflect that. The Cavs would have lost the series in 2016, and the Bills would have been world champs following the 1990 season, but that's not what happened...The Cavs may have defied the odds, and the Warriors may have let one slip, but if they "should have" lost the series, they "would have". 

BTW, the Bills aren't the worst team in sports, and haven't been for almost 35 years, if you consider the 1984 Bills worse than every other professional sports team that year. The early 90s Bills may have been a bit of a punchline at the time, and for a little while after, but everyone that's not "hating" and is rational outside of Bills fans will tell you that those Bills were some of the best to ever play the game, and that the 1990 Bills was arguably the best team  ever to not win a title.

When I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the Sabres. In a few weeks, they won't be arguably (hardly arguable) the worst team in professional sports when they draft Dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sure they will.

Marv Levy.

I see this thrown around a lot.

Sure, he was out-coached that day. Parcells and Belichick are arguably the 2 best coaches of all time. But the fact of the matter is that the Bills were a made FG away from winning a title (barring an Ebor City Miracle on the ensuing kickoff). 

There was plenty of blame to go around for that game. Levy, Norwood, Reed being "taken out" of the game, several missed tackles on 3rd and long, etc. all played a role. If the players had made the play on 3 or 4 plays during that game, especially on the Giants final offensive drive (and obviously the FG), the Bills probably put the Giants away, and no one would be pointing any fingers.

4 hours ago, JPP said:

Perfect thread for this post

9 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I see this thrown around a lot.

Sure, he was out-coached that day. Parcells and Belichick are arguably the 2 best coaches of all time. But the fact of the matter is that the Bills were a made FG away from winning a title (barring an Ebor City Miracle on the ensuing kickoff). 

There was plenty of blame to go around for that game. Levy, Norwood, Reed being "taken out" of the game, several missed tackles on 3rd and long, etc. all played a role. If the players had made the play on 3 or 4 plays during that game, especially on the Giants final offensive drive (and obviously the FG), the Bills probably put the Giants away, and no one would be pointing any fingers.

Perfect thread for this post

Im only here for entertainment purposes

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

...why...would we take away the past season?  Hey, by that logic, if we take away the Brady years we can clearly say the Patriots are one of the worst teams in pro sports.  ?

Here for only entertainment purposes

3 hours ago, mileena said:

Dude, by saying you have a "main team", that is different than the team that you're "ecstatic" about, pretty much means you're a GS bandwagoner. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't deny it.

73-9. Greatest season ever by an NBA team and greatest team of all time.

"Greatness" in sports is generally defined by championships. They didn't win the championship that year, so to say that they were the greatest team of all time IMO is wrong. Maybe the best team of all time, but that's not the same as "greatest". The 2007 *Pats were arguably the best team of all time, but they weren't the greatest, because they lost the title game. Same kind of thing applies to the *Pats win over the Falcons. It is referred to as the greatest comeback, because a title was involved. But the Bills own the biggest comeback.

3 hours ago, mileena said:

Holy crap!

How was being a Sharks fan for 3 years???

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat