Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

12 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Who broke every single FA and trade for the Bills this offseason?

Hint: Not Vic, or Tim Graham.  

Hint: Sully, Bucky, and Harrington have not broken any stories.

Sal telegraphed that the Bills were taking Josh Allen on WGR.

Rodak has broken stories.  He is local although he works for ESPN.

I have not inventoried the stories that Tim and Vic and JW have broken but you (at least) have acknowledged they have broken some.

As an aside, the issue really is not local v. national.  It is who the people in these organizations think will give them a fair shot.  That is why Vic and Tim Graham and JW (and not Sully, Bucky, or Harrington) have access.  Sully and Bucky burned whatever bridges they may have had.  Jim Kelley never had a problem getting inside information and access (both locally and nationally).  He did so with class and was professional. TBN realized (as Sully admitted) that Sully and Bucky were bad for business.  

That is why Sully, Bucky, and Harrington have no access. We shall see whether Harrington will change his approach and is able to build some relationships. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It made news because certain writers chose to treat it like UB was kicking everyone's dog.

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

But, Buffalo is Buffalo.  People were happy that the Bills regionalized because they understood that was the best way to keep the team long term.

How many people go to a typical UB home game?

Ok. Calm down.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope Bills fans take note that UB plays Eastern Michigan the same weekend as the Bills home opener. If you are in town Saturday 6pm why not catch the game? UB has a nice tailgate party with country singer Chase Bryant performing. Parking is free. There are some nice spots to tailgate by the small lake on campus.

http://ubbulls.com/tickets/football/whynotus

Many chance you guys could take your non BN discussion to its own topic?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

That's from a different era.  

Metta's track record for breaking accurate stories is actually not great, and I'm not familiar with Cabbott's work.  I am quite confident that even with a few exceptions worth mentioning, almost zero local guys in all markets have stories before Schefter and the gang get them with any sort of consistency, for reasons posted above. 

That is bull - it is all in the relationships- Metta was well connected with Rex in NY and that even followed when he came here - Metta had several Bills things break under Rex - FA and other moves including changes to the coaching staff.

Vic broke the news about Rex being fired 1 week before it finally happened.  Long before any national guys even had a sniff.

Mary Kay Cabbott in Cleveland is Schefters go to source for most things Cleveland.  She typically gets the story and then Schefter puts it out to the masses via the ESPN engine.  

John Kryk from Toronto- Mike Rodak- Tim Graham all have had several stories over the last couple of years.  Matthew Fairburn out of Syracuse is another guy that provides a ton of info and has broken news.  The issue is unless you are following those guys on Twitter - you almost always get the story out of ESPN or CBS first because those sites are where the masses are looking.  

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope Bills fans take note that UB plays Eastern Michigan the same weekend as the Bills home opener. If you are in town Saturday 6pm why not catch the game? UB has a nice tailgate party with country singer Chase Bryant performing. Parking is free. There are some nice spots to tailgate by the small lake on campus.

http://ubbulls.com/tickets/football/whynotus

Promo you are such a Buffalo homer for anything Buffalo! Much respect sir!

On 6/1/2018 at 6:19 PM, K-9 said:

UB was founded in 1846. 

?? 

UB was a small private school until it was absorbed into the Suny system. A bunch of Sunys were private schools founded long before (eg, geneseo in 1871). 

Pre-suny UB was a contender in any way shape or form, and unlike UC-Berekely, it wasn't SET UP AS THE THE FRIGGIN' FLAGSHIP STATE SCHOOL FROM THE GET-GO!!

Sheesh!

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The sports comparison was the one I was making. That there is a "Cal," a Penn State, an Ohio State, etc. That was the thinking behind the New York branding. It wasn't a comparison of institutions on an academic level.

Dave McBride did qualify his statement "...as SUNY schools" so he isn't wrong. But unlike the California system they were supposedly modeled on, SUNY placed no value on major level athletics. UB has been playing catch up since. 

Not "suuposedly"; actually.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

?? 

UB was a small private school until it was absorbed into the Suny system. A bunch of Sunys were private schools founded long before (eg, geneseo in 1871). 

Pre-suny UB was a contender in any way shape or form, and unlike UC-Berekely, it wasn't SET UP AS THE THE FRIGGIN' FLAGSHIP STATE SCHOOL FROM THE GET-GO!!

Sheesh!

Not "suuposedly"; actually.

Sheesh indeed!

UB was a small, private school with an international reputation as a medical school and not long after, a law school. A fine school. And since you were shouting, let me again say, I ONLY MENTIONED UB TO POINT OUT IT WAS SIMPLY OLDER AS AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION! SORRY YOU FELT IT NECESSARY TO MAKE  THE ASSUMPTION I WAS COMPARING EVERYTHING ABOUT UB TO BERKELEY! AS IF ANYONE SHOULD DO THAT!

31 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Well.

How about it?

All of you closet Pseudojournalists should be camping out @ TBN for an interview......

Nah, that will just give the [BN] an excuse for a 'Smiles At the New Sportswriters' photo gallery. (Buy this Photo)

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/2/2018 at 2:18 AM, BringBackOrton said:

Stories are almost never broken by local media in any market, because agents are one of the main sources and they all have relationships with the National guys.

When I was in the Army I was stationed all over the country. When I was in Georgia the Atlanta Constitution wasn't constantly quoting a guy in Chicago about what was happening with the Falcons, at least not when I was there.

In sports I think a lot of it stems from the fact that they are all so negative, all the time. Right or wrong when you are constantly saying nothing but bad things about the team and the players you are not going to establish any relationships with agents, staff, or team members and you will always be on the outside looking in.

In the past I have seen lots of articles in the news that should have had some kind of followup but never did unless the story become a national story like the teachers cosmetic surgery thing or the doctor running over the girl on the skateboard. The rest of the stuff is just taken off blotter reports with no real journalism follow up to it.

When I was working security I got the news everyday. I remember they had a story once about some poor girl that was basically held as a sex slave for years. No followup stories at all. What happened to the girl? Is she ok? What happened to the family etc? No national media picked it up so TBN just dropped it.

Covering local things and following through on those stories is what local papers used to do. Now they want to try to be Fox/MSNBC/CNN/USA Today light. I think a lot of them could survive if they remembered who and what they are. A source of information about local happenings. That is something no blogger or national media outlet can do.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Well.

How about it?

All of you closet Pseudojournalists should be camping out @ TBN for an interview......

That would be one of the best things ever in my life. Maybe the best thing in my last whole year.

I would last exactly one press conference though. And I would type my ass off to try and get the story in before I got fired. I think I would just need to make sure somebody filmed it because they couldn't print the story on account of I would use their same song language at them. 

Like: "Good afternoon Coach McDermott. Thank you for taking my question. About the working relationship between you and Brandon Beane, of the two of you, who would you  say is more the B word, and who is more the whore? Like are you the whore and General Manager Beane is the B word? Or are you both whores? Both bitches? Or maybe I have it wrong, is one of you a slut? Can you talk a little bit about that please?"

My God it would be great though :) 

49 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That would be one of the best things ever in my life. Maybe the best thing in my last whole year.

I would last exactly one press conference though. And I would type my ass off to try and get the story in before I got fired. I think I would just need to make sure somebody filmed it because they couldn't print the story on account of I would use their same song language at them. 

Like: "Good afternoon Coach McDermott. Thank you for taking my question. About the working relationship between you and Brandon Beane, of the two of you, who would you  say is more the B word, and who is more the whore? Like are you the whore and General Manager Beane is the B word? Or are you both whores? Both bitches? Or maybe I have it wrong, is one of you a slut? Can you talk a little bit about that please?"

My God it would be great though :) 

Writing on deadline is the worst.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Writing on deadline is the worst.

Actually that is the one thing I admire most about the good local reporters. Some of then get the game story done right away even after 4 oclock games. And I have seen good writeups sometimes on that deadline. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I know a guy, Bills fan, who is convinced that the BN buyout (of the entire BN organization) was organized by the Pegulas to rid themselves of Jerry and Buckster.  I say the guy is a nut, but who knows.

That was actually speculated in his column by whats-his-name - current Fredonia Journalism Professor who used to work for TBN about a decade ago

(I intend no disrespect by what's his name - I just suck at remembering names)  Article was linked somewhere previously in this thread.

In his second column about it he updated to indicate that better information indicated he was mistaken.

Edit: Elmer Ploetz, that's who I mean

Edit 2: here are the articles again, since I'm too lazy to go upthread and find them maybe ya'll are also

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/06012018/whats-happening-buffalo-news-part-2

• Thank you (+1) 1