Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

I still say he will be back under a reconstructed contract,without even having a agent.

That’s what I thought, but I just heard we gave him his release? Why do that? Can’t we get even a late round pick for him? (I didn’t read thru all this yet, so I bet this has been covered, but still?) 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm thinking you may be onto something here, though I think the details may be wrong.  This has the ring of "negotiated settlement"

Typically if a player retires, they need to repay the prorated portion of their signing bonus, in RI's case $1.15M (I think) and they forfeit guaranteed money.

The Bills and RI may have reached a negotiation where they released him in exchange for a favorable settlement of the cap/repayment issue, with RI (if he wants to play) feeling that he'll get more money if he's on the market and signs, than he loses by prolonging a fight over returning his prorated signing bonus.

I know it's in quotes but I think the word "cut" is confusing here.  RI retired, and wasn't cut.  That means the Bills definitively don't owe him any guaranteed salary for next year, and he has to repay his signing bonus.  

You could be right Hap.  FTR, when I said "cut" I meant the news we heard today.

He did sign the restructure bonus when they decreased his salary.  That is the 1 million I was talking about.

I bet someone in sports news will ask these questions soon and we probably will hear a reason why this all happened.

Just now, Augie said:

That’s what I thought, but I just heard we gave him his release? Why do that? Can’t we get even a late round pick for him? (I didn’t read thru all this yet, so I bet this has been covered, but still?) 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No mystery.  Beane and McDermott want no part of his unbalanced antics.  See ya!

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I keep a pretty close eye on Spotrac and it hasn't changed concerning Ritchie.

You can tell by looking on the right pane in transactions.  It will show Ritchie released soon.

If any changes happen it will happen once they post that.

Ah, ok. For some reason, I was certain we were still on the hook for his salary plus the signing bonus until we settled this. So, we saved that money when we put him on the "Retired/Reserve" list?

1 hour ago, teef said:

i mean, he could have refused the pay cut.  no one had a gun to his head.  

Yeah and then he likely would have been cut...UPDATE he just was lol

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No mystery.  Beane and McDermott want no part of his unbalanced antics.  See ya!

I can understand and respect that. A late round draft pick might have been a nice parting gift, but I’m sure they thought of that. Was there ZERO market for him? Does it help us financially? Oh well, build that line!!!

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I can understand and respect that. A late round draft pick might have been a nice parting gift, but I’m sure they thought of that. Was there ZERO market for him? Does it help us financially? Oh well, build that line!!!

It seems to me like McDermott and Beane are getting rid of these kinds of players anyway.

If you dont fit their vision...your gone

22 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t like this idea at this time. I have it on good authority that there is zero chance he comes back to play for Bills. We hold his rights. He made his mistakes. We shouldn’t reward him. If anything tell him if he wants to unretire negotiate with another team and then we trade him to them, even if it’s a 7th rounder. 

Huge mistake. How do you play hardball with Boldin, then do this with Richie?

Bizarro.  I get that he played well here, but this is too much.

4 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Ah, ok. For some reason, I was certain we were still on the hook for his salary plus the signing bonus until we settled this. So, we saved that money when we put him on the "Retired/Reserve" list?

Yeah, Hap and I were talking about this a few posts ago.  The rules around "retiring" are not cut and dry.  The CBA talks about both the team and

the player (thru the NFLPA) can go after money.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Take this for what it's worth I was told by a security guard at one bills drive that Ritchie called the pegulas hammered one night and said a few choice words to them and he is 100% banned from buffalo bills property. 

It's funny how believable this is

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It seems to me like McDermott and Beane are getting rid of these kinds of players anyway.

If you dont fit their vision...your gone

I get it, and I’m fine with it. I guess they just couldn’t get anything for him. He WAS gone, they WERE rid of him....but if you have a little leverage to get something in return, I’d try that. I’m guessing they did and nobody wanted to give anything for him....

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Take this for what it's worth I was told by a security guard at one bills drive that Ritchie called the pegulas hammered one night and said a few choice words to them and he is 100% banned from buffalo bills property. 

How would he get their personal phone number?