What Do YOU Remember about Thurman Thomas?

Met him at my hotel a few years ago after a function.

He was sitting with several local sport radio guys and some area sports writers. He was obviously tipsy and every other word out of his mouth was curse words.

He actually told a story of how he ended up a Dolphin and how he went off on Polian and Ralph Wilson.

Hes a cool  mofo though! 

Congrats to 34! Long overdue for the best all purpose back ever!

Wouldnt have went to 4 straight without him!

Thanks Thurman! 

The Monday night game against the Jets where he could of gone for the game rushing record, but went out when it was in the bag, saving himself for the long haul.

The playoff game against the Chiefs where they just couldnt stop our running game

Superbowl 25 he should of had 35 touches..

I remember Flutie tossing him a lateral downfield for some extra yardage at my first ever game at the Ralph.

BTW, not sure if it was mentioned but Happy Birthday Thurman! I found out earlier today that he and my eldest son were both born on May 16.

3 hours ago, Rockinon said:

He was the key for that K-gun offense.  Always on the same page with Kelly. Did almost everything well....don't think he was that great at blocking until later in his career(Even then not great).  That fast paced offense combined with Thurman's ability to run or catch really kept defenses on their heels. Definitely had a chip on his shoulder and never seemed to get tired. Wore entire defenses out by the beginning of the second half.

3 hours ago, Rockinon said:

He was the key for that K-gun offense.  Always on the same page with Kelly. Did almost everything well....don't think he was that great at blocking until later in his career(Even then not great).  That fast paced offense combined with Thurman's ability to run or catch really kept defenses on their heels. Definitely had a chip on his shoulder and never seemed to get tired. Wore entire defenses out by the beginning of the second half.

Thumb's up!

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Pouting on the bench after fumbling on two straight possessions against Dallas in SB XXVIII.

Players fumble.  No big deal.  But champions don't pout.  The pouting sucked the life out of a team that was dominating Dallas the first half of that game.  

That whole team just... I don't know, do you think it was all Thurman that brought that energy level down.

I'll never forget Aikman in the 30 for 30 saying they got outplayed, but as they entered the Tunnel together they could just tell that the Bills were off, they just seemed down and a bit almost combative with each other.

I'll never forget the bootleg between him and Flutie were he was supposed to take the ball on a hand off and he didn't and flutie was like wtf am I gonna do here, and just ran it in easy. Even though I'm sure he was panicking.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I remember Flutie tossing him a lateral downfield for some extra yardage at my first ever game at the Ralph.

BTW, not sure if it was mentioned but Happy Birthday Thurman! I found out earlier today that he and my eldest son were both born on May 16.

Nice first game, I remember that play too. That was crazy, I'm not the biggest Flutie fan, and that's another debate, but he was fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

One of the first (maybe the first, I can't remember) to take the snap directly from the center and go through the 'A' gap.  No opposing defense was able to stop him from ripping off a big chunk of yardage.

Would use that play on Tecmo Super Bowl all the time.

1*6vvjw71xuxe9CTGEvbxfKg.png

Edited by Doc Brown

It’s weird, my most vivid memory was TT getting a screen pass to the left and i think the hit he received lacerated his liver... it looked brutal.

I seen to remember it was the Colts... 

Edited by B-Large

Don’t recall the game, but he caught a ball down the right sideline stretched out and horizontal to the field.

What I truly loved was knowing when the ball was handed off, he’d do his best to gain yards, and he did.  When the ball was thrown to him, he’d do his best to catch and run, and did.

Dont ever recall him taking any play off.

This may have been mentioned as I didn't read through each page.  I loved when he would turn and back peddle for another 3-4 yards.  

He was an awfully creative runner that was durable and did so many things.

The draw out of the shotgun.  Was amazing how effective he was on that play - even when they ran it so often it often lost the element of surprise.

• Like (+1) 1

Two things come to mind immediately.

I remember the way he would put his hand on the back of a lineman and just let the play develop, just taking his time and the next thing you knew he was 8 to 10 yards down field. He was SO consistently patient and understood how to let his blockers set up in a way I haven’t seen in a long time.

I remember a post game presser fairly early in his rookie season with Marv talking about how he had told the coaches and Kelly not to think of him as a rookie but give him a full load because Thurman could handle it.

MAGIC TIMES!!!!!

I remember him winning SuperBowl XXV MVP.

Oh crap Marv Levy and Darryl Talley screwed that up...

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but I also remember the delayed hand-offs (counters?) that always seemed to work.

Counter trey started by Washington and perfected by Buffalo.  Not used much anymore with both the G and OT pulling.  Not sure why.  Counter is still used in multiple different formations and variations.  Curious if anyone knows if defenses eventually found a counter measure?  OLB/DE reading the puling OT and immediately attacking the backfield ignoring the RB motion?