What Do YOU Remember about Thurman Thomas?

With all the talk about Thurman today I thought it would be fun/interesting to hear what different fans remember about watching Thurman in so many games for the Bills.

Doesn't have to be his greatest run ever, but just any memory that stands out.  Younger fans who missed him may find this interesting.

A few things that I always think of when I think of Thurman:

1) First and foremost, always just casually tossing the ball or handing the ball to the official in the end zone after just scoring a TD.  My memory is that Thurman always did that, even right from the beginning, as if to say "I've scored a ton of these already and will score a ton more, nothing to get too excited about."

2) His crazy ability to just sort of stutter, start, stop, wiggle, and shift his way through crowds of players for 3 or 4 yards on a busted play that should have gotten zero yards or taken a loss of yardage.

3) The way he sometimes put his hand on OT Howard "House" Ballard's ass, ducked down, and just vanished behind the House as he ran downfield acting like a human blocking shield.  House was a beast of a man in an era when "300 pounders" were still somewhat rare.

:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The best all around back of the late 80s early 90s

Trucking people and spinning off them

Better hands than Zay Jones a WR

...exactly.......also....

1. The agonizing look on his face during Draft Day waiting for the phone to ring through the 1st round.

2. Falling to the 2nd because of knee injury, Bills made the move and he had a "chip".

3. Making good on the "chip" WELL beyond expectations.

• Like (+1) 3

He was amazing to watch...the thing i loved most was at the end of the games when everyone knew he was getting the ball to run the clock out, he got first down after first down...they knew it was coming and they still couldn't stop it.

He's the original helmet catch guy. Did it way before David Tyree made it so cool, haha, I kid, but yeah, he caught a pass in a game during the '90 season that he held against the side of his helmet as he fell backwards to the turf. It was a gain of 35 or something. I think it may have came against the Dolphins. It stands out to me because I remember watching the old VHS tape of the 1990 season video yearbook as a kid.

Aside from that, he kind of had a hand in somewhat redefining the role of the running back with his ability to not only be an outlet for Kelly to dump it down to but also line up as a receiver and run routes. 

He also had incredible balance and was tough to tackle given how he ran with a low center of gravity that allowed him to out-leverage defenders. 

I also think he was the last player to wear that style of facemask which you don't see for a RB.

3 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Go away!

I get that A LOT! Hmmm. ?

He really made it look so easy. He’d go low, but never too low. 

The running style was a thing I had to bring up videos to show my kids. He was very hard to get a clean shot on and he caught the ball like a WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

He beat them from the outside and now he was going to beat them from inside.

He was a double agent, I’m sure. If not, I’ll write it off to no one is perfect...

My favorite thing about watching Thurman Thomas run was his patience.  One of the best at waiting for his lineman and set up their blocks.  I remember one screen pass in particular in a playoff game against the Dolphins in Miami.  He caught it and just kind of moved laterally until his lineman had a chance to catch up, then it was off to the races for the TD.  The only one I know of today who can mirror this type of patience is Laveon Bell.  Really fun to watch Thurman set it all up while the play is in action.

Carolina Panthers first game at the Ralph.

Frank R qb.

10 yr old son burned his hand at tailgate on hot pan. Stadium first aid treated him.

We sat on 50 yr line row 1.

23 to 9 for Bills

At end of game TT came over to my son and gave him his game gloves.

Next summer in Fredonia TT asked him where the other glove was when he got it autographed. (Left at home so as to not lose both).

My son is 33 now and the gloves hang in a frame in a place of honor.

Every time I see TT supporting Buffalo I recall these days. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pouting on the bench after fumbling on two straight possessions against Dallas in SB XXVIII.

Players fumble.  No big deal.  But champions don't pout.  The pouting sucked the life out of a team that was dominating Dallas the first half of that game.  

• Like (+1) 1

He was the key for that K-gun offense.  Always on the same page with Kelly. Did almost everything well....don't think he was that great at blocking until later in his career(Even then not great).  That fast paced offense combined with Thurman's ability to run or catch really kept defenses on their heels. Definitely had a chip on his shoulder and never seemed to get tired. Wore entire defenses out by the beginning of the second half.