Buffalo News in financial trouble

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I suspect those two are protected by the union.

they could re-assign them then.... didn't know there was a journalists union

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

I think you mean Phil Ranallo.

Very funny guy. Used to write the "What's up Harry" sports column.

His bet stuff was Monday mornings after any Bills game.

Delivered that paper for three years.

I did basic editing ("Editing assistant") for Courier Express in early 1980's and do not recall one mark on any of his columns for editor to look at it. Excellent writer.  Met him  once but not via work but via a relative who also served.

http://www.buffalosportshallfame.com/member/phil-ranallo/

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2015/12/28/123039/remembering-legendary-sportswriter-phil-ranallo

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Serious question - which of the following is a better source of Bills news: The Buffalo News or YoloInOhio and 26CornerBlitz?

That's your answer on why TBN is irrelevant.

That is hard to tell; Buffalo News does not hide sources via redirection URLs probably getting poster kickbacks.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I hate both guys but one clarification.  They're columnists, not reporters.    Their job is to stir the pot, attract eyeballs (which they do, much like the hosts at 'GR) and generally get people talking about them.   

If they are "columnists" not reporters then Buffalo Bills can deny them access to press briefings without consequence and should but I am sure they wear the "reporter hat" when they claim press access.

17 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

they could re-assign them then.... didn't know there was a journalists union

There are no openings in garbage reporting but since they are columnists the News could replace Ann Landers, etc with them and save money.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Print media is a dying entity.   It is destined to go the same way as the pager and the walkman.    Trying to keep it alive because of some nostalgic draw is as foolish and trying to maintain steam powered transportation.

So what you are saying is the idea of making people pay for online content is not working. I’m wondering why people don’t want to pay for Sullivan & Bucky?

5 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

So what you are saying is the idea of making people pay for online content is not working. I’m wondering why people don’t want to pay for Sullivan & Bucky?

So don't pay for Sullivan and Bucky. Pay for the few dozen other writers there, the cost of one crappy beer per month. Do it for your health!

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The Guild (union) contract locks that in, unfortunately.    Buyouts or retirements are the only way to trim the deadwood.   I expect to see a few on the sports desk in this latest round of cost cutting...

Pergament supposedly retired, then a year later was (and is) back as a part timer, IIRC.  Is he still part of the Guild?  Thankfully Donn with two Ns retired and stayed there, so Buffalonians don't have to read his lectures on how to be hip, culturally aware, and a double talking s*** disturber. 

1 minute ago, THE SLAMMER said:

There goes the Kitty litter mat

Try the Toronto Sun.  That's all that rag is fit for, litter mats and birdcage liners.

• Haha (+1) 1

Does anyone here not read the Wall Street Journal, NYT, Washington Post, National Review, ESPN, or any website just because they don't like two of the numerous columnists and writers? I'm sure there are examples but it seems like a great number of you single out two guys who write 1% of the content each month and get 1% of the pay as a reason to not subscribe. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

With constant Trump bashing by Zremski, Turner & Zyglis. 

Trump bashing is good. Why would anyone support such a loser??????? #notmypresident

Edited by mileena
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Does anyone here not read the Wall Street Journal, NYT, Washington Post, National Review, ESPN, or any website just because they don't like two of the numerous columnists and writers? I'm sure there are examples but it seems like a great number of you single out two guys who write 1% of the content each month and get 1% of the pay as a reason to not subscribe. 

Read or pay?  If there is someone I vomitly disagree with I would ignore on a website but it that person is so bad I would NEVER, EVER pay to read any of it. When you are paying you are paying for everyone unless as some want with cable you can pick and choose.  As an example I read blogs on Patreon and I contribute to those whose publications I like.

I will not fund Jerry and Sulky for you.  This seems to be your goal.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Read or pay?  If there is someone I vomitly disagree with I would ignore on a website but it that person is so bad I would NEVER, EVER pay to read any of it. When you are paying you are paying for everyone unless as some want with cable you can pick and choose.  As an example I read blogs on Patreon and I contribute to those whose publications I like.

I will not fund Jerry and Sulky for you.  This seems to be your goal.

Not my goal at all. You are exactly right when you say you are paying for everyone, that was my goal, to point that out to you. And if Jerry and Sully are 1% of the content that means you pay for the 99% as well as the 1%, but those two are still 1%.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

17 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I can't believe that they still list 16 pages of TV listings for the week. That's insanity in 2018. 

They were catering to the older generation,I know many seniors who don't have cable or the internet.

Just now, mileena said:

Trump bashing is good. Why would anyone support such a loser??????? #notmypresident

Much of what I've seen from Jerry Zremski is him just reporting the actual details of a story and/or facts. 

I guess thats considered "bashing" these days?  lol 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just so I'm clear, I worry deeply by the decline of news reporting. But in regard on the Buffalo News, I can't abide those two columnists. 

I subscribe to the online NYTimes mostly for the editorial section. There are columnists that I like and read; and there are columnists that I don't like and don't read. Almost all newspapers are struggling with the challenging economics of the business. I don't know why these two columnists should bother you so much that you would not support a paper that in general you support, especially when you have the prerogative of not reading their columns. 

Sometimes I will read a columnist that in general I don't agree with or even like just for the sake of getting a different opinion and perspective. I can understand why a sector of the readers don't like Sullivan, Bucky or whoever. However, sometimes you broaden your view by listening to someone you don't agree with. If you find that so intolerable to do then just ignore that section of the paper. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I subscribe to the online NYTimes mostly for the editorial section. There are columnists that I like and read; and there are columnists that I don't like and don't read. Almost all newspapers are struggling with the challenging economics of the business. I don't know why these two columnists should bother you so much that you would not support a paper that in general you support, especially when you have the prerogative of not reading their columns. 

Sometimes I will read a columnist that in general I don't agree with or even like just for the sake of getting a different opinion and perspective. I can understand why a sector of the readers don't like Sullivan, Bucky or whoever. However, sometimes you broaden your view by listening to someone you don't agree with. If you find that so intolerable to do then just ignore that section of the paper. 

It seems so simple and obvious. Well put. One of the most important thing one can do to understand the world better, or anything better, is to read people who don't agree with you, or present the other side to your belief or argument. 

• Like (+1) 2

Its a shame.  I like a lot of what the Buffalo News has to offer.... but I agree with what someone said on the first page.

They have awful, old, inept, nepotistic management who have failed and continue to fail to adapt to modern times.  

• SDS locked this topic