Buffalo News in financial trouble

I find it funny that a company owned by Warren Buffett would be in financial trouble. The Oligarch worth $75 Billion should stop taking so much money out of the paper and find a way to lower operating costs by taking less money back to Omaha.

• Like (+1) 1

The loss of NeXt pains me. It's where I got in my start in journalism years ago. We all were contacted by the current manager asking us to write a short memory piece for the last one on Thursday. That'll be a bittersweet one. 

Simply put, the management of the News is so ungodly inept it makes me angry. I have never seen a bigger bunch of blowhards that don't know how to run the paper. They wanted to turn it into a mini NY Times, which is why they killed the partnership with the Associated Press. That was the beginning of the end. 

What do they have now? A crappy editorial section, a few good columnists (Sean Kirst deserves a Pulitzer) and some local news hounds like Maki Becker. 

They failed to adapt to the times and to the market. They could be doing well. They tried to be something that they could not. BN University? What a goddamn joke. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The loss of NeXt pains me. It's where I got in my start in journalism years ago. We all were contacted by the current manager asking us to write a short memory piece for the last one on Thursday. That'll be a bittersweet one. 

Simply put, the management of the News is so ungodly inept it makes me angry. I have never seen a bigger bunch of blowhards that don't know how to run the paper. They wanted to turn it into a mini NY Times, which is why they killed the partnership with the Associated Press. That was the beginning of the end. 

What do they have now? A crappy editorial section, a few good columnists (Sean Kirst deserves a Pulitzer) and some local news hounds like Maki Becker. 

They failed to adapt to the times and to the market. They could be doing well. They tried to be something that they could not. BN University? What a goddamn joke. 

I want you to know I read this in my best Muscle Man voice.

• Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I find it funny that a company owned by Warren Buffett would be in financial trouble. The Oligarch worth $75 Billion should stop taking so much money out of the paper and find a way to lower operating costs by taking less money back to Omaha.

This level of financial acumen belongs in the Business section of The Buffalo News!

• Haha (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...dog training material.....Jerry's column works best...........

I brought back newspaper after a game and when done put it in bird cage.  My parrot refused to go in.  Some have taste and some have knee pads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’d be curious to see if the opinions here match what the metrics tell them... 

are fans quick to hate jerry but likewise quick to click?

Would be interesting to see.  Can't speak for others, but won't even type his name in the very few threads that he's been discussed.  Haven't read any articles of his in at least 10 years.  

Though somewhere, still have a clipping of his classic '90 prediction that the Bills would stink because they would once again be the Bickering Bills. :)

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I can't believe that they still list 16 pages of TV listings for the week. That's insanity in 2018. 

And let me guess... another full page devoted to a weather forecast that's over 12 hours old?  Horoscopes?  A column dedicated to a particular Bridge setup?  Classified ads that are nothing more than a bunch of legal notices?  Buffett should have killed the print product or sold off its assets to one of the local TV stations years ago.

Somewhat related, my parents back in NYS just dropped their subscription to the Poughkeepsie Journal.  Gannett was asking $650 for a year of the PJ, which was mostly USA Today articles with a dash or two of stories written locally, mostly consisting of high school sports.  It's a shame that Gannett/PJ hasn't adapted to the internet because the Mid Hudson Valley has no local TV, and being part of the NYC DMA, gets next to zero local coverage of anything happening in the area.  My dad apparently won't miss it... my mom was more worried about losing coupons than missing out on any actual news.

• SDS locked this topic