Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Roethlisberger publically questions Steelers using 3rd pick on QB

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

 

Forcing people into positions definitely didn't work for him in the past.

 

Or did it?

 

I don't remember any ramifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MASON RUDOLPH WOOOOOOOOO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Big Ben has always been an overrated piece of trash

An overrated piece of trash with 2 Super Bowl Rings, 3 Conference titles, elite stats for over a decade, and a first ballot reservation to Canton :rolleyes:

 

Ben put his foot in his mouth on this for sure, but I do understand what he's trying to say.  Ben knows he only has a few years left and would like to go out on top.   Drafting developmental 3rd and 4th round QBs every year aren't the missing pieces to dethrone the Patriots*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Ben is starting to get knicked up as well no?

 

Yep.  Not to mention, as Yolo didn't say but meant, he's starting to look like the Michelin Tire man.  Which is not going to do him any favors as far as avoiding injury.

 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ben forced them into this position. The Steelers have a good roster. They probably don't feel like leaving themselves open to a position where Ben shock retires and they are left with a lot of talent that can't win because they don't have a Quarterback. If he didn't keep talking about retiring maybe they do spend that 3rd on a "win now" player. They basically turned a receiver who is one failed test away from out of the league and who they were not gonna re-sign into a developmental QB who could be the successor. That is good roster management in my book. 

 

Absolutely.  The best value in a replacement QB is a guy you can take in the 2-4 round and develop.  The odds are lower, but when you have a QB, you can afford to play those odds and draft a guy you like every year, then move on if they don't work out.  The Steelers are absolutely doing what they should.

 

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ben didn’t seem happy about Rudolph joining the team that is for sure. Ben’s responses to mentoring Rudolph were also telling on how he feels. Ben will not be playing at 40 years old. I can see Ben playing two more years and then giving way to the next QB for Pitts. It could be Rudolph. 

 

Ben went on like an a** about Rudolph.  First he's all offended Rudolph says he doesn't expect Roethlisberger to mentor him, interprets it as "he says he doesn't need me, I'll just point at the playbook".  Then Ben rightly points out that his job #1 is to get ready to play, which is exactly aligned with what Rudolph said taken in context...that Rudolph understands Ben's Job #1 is to get ready to play, not to mentor rookie QB.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

How? 

 

Hes always been a moron. Nothing's changed.

Rapefulburger and Marsha are close to the end. If McBeane can build a contender and Allen turns into a franchise guy (there's always hope), the Bills could be the creme de la creme.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

An overrated piece of trash with 2 Super Bowl Rings, 3 Conference titles, elite stats for over a decade, and a first ballot reservation to Canton :rolleyes:

 

Take out one word and you exactly state my opinion.  Weeeeeell, except that some of his off field behavior might make balloting into the HOF take longer

 

12 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Ben put his foot in his mouth on this for sure, but I do understand what he's trying to say.  Ben knows he only has a few years left and would like to go out on top.   Drafting developmental 3rd and 4th round QBs every year aren't the missing pieces to dethrone the Patriots*

 

Maybe.  Or maybe having the best backup QB you can get your hands on at a reasonable cost is a critical missing piece.  Worked out for Philly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Big Ben has always been an overrated piece of trash

I think he is the best example of how much a first impression can carry you far.

 

He won the superbowl early on and has been much less effective ever since. He has also been a negative in terms of leadership and personality and obviously his off field behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Rudolf will need to look for mentoring elsewhere. Should be a condusIve learning atmosphere for a young QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot wait until Will Ferrell plays him in a spoof about a meathead QB.  The golf course scene will be EPIC.  Can we please crowdfund for this to happen?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I think he is the best example of how much a first impression can carry you far.

 

He won the superbowl early on and has been much less effective ever since. He has also been a negative in terms of leadership and personality and obviously his off field behavior.

 

Meanie, have you had your morning coffee yet?

 

Big Ben has never been the sort of QB who can totally carry a team.  There are only 2 (maybe 3 or 4) of them in the league. He benefits from a strong run game and an offensive scheme that suits him (most QB do)

 

But there's only been 1 year where the Steelers had an effective, top 10 D and he didn't carry them into the playoffs - and that was 2012, when he missed 3 games and was arguably hampered afterwards.  In his 14 year career, there are only 3 years where his team hasn't had a winning record; their worst record was 8-8.

 

He has played at a high level consistently for 14 years.  His stats such as completion percentage, #TD, TD/INT, passing yards, YPA etc have either improved or held steady.  He is in no way being carried by a "first impression" and become "less effective ever sense". 

 

He does have his negatives for off-field behavior, but he got married in 2011 and has either stopped or kept any off-field crap out of the news since then.

I think he's probably kept on with being a douche, based on his recent comments and his "maybe I'll retire/maybe I won't" schtick, but he's an excellent QB.

25 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

poor washington probably won't see many balls thrown his way.

 

really.  you think this why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course they didn't believe you Big Ben. Last off-season you weren't sure if you wanted to play anymore. Can't just now say never mind I want to play 3-5 more years and expect the coaches and GM to believe you. They have to prepare for the future. It's easy to say you want to play 3-5 more years in the middle of April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a giant baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I cannot wait until Will Ferrell plays him in a spoof about a meathead QB.  The golf course scene will be EPIC.  Can we please crowdfund for this to happen?

Hey they could also cast Rapeslisburger as Will Ferrell in a movie about Will Ferrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Meanie, have you had your morning coffee yet?

 

Big Ben has never been the sort of QB who can totally carry a team.  There are only 2 (maybe 3 or 4) of them in the league. He benefits from a strong run game and an offensive scheme that suits him (most QB do)

 

But there's only been 1 year where the Steelers had an effective, top 10 D and he didn't carry them into the playoffs - and that was 2012, when he missed 3 games and was arguably hampered afterwards.  In his 14 year career, there are only 3 years where his team hasn't had a winning record; their worst record was 8-8.

 

He has played at a high level consistently for 14 years.  His stats such as completion percentage, #TD, TD/INT, passing yards, YPA etc have either improved or held steady.  He is in no way being carried by a "first impression" and become "less effective ever sense". 

 

He does have his negatives for off-field behavior, but he got married in 2011 and has either stopped or kept any off-field crap out of the news since then.

I think he's probably kept on with being a douche, based on his recent comments and his "maybe I'll retire/maybe I won't" schtick, but he's an excellent QB.

 

really.  you think this why?

rudolph's no.1 guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Meanie, have you had your morning coffee yet?

 

Big Ben has never been the sort of QB who can totally carry a team.  There are only 2 (maybe 3 or 4) of them in the league. He benefits from a strong run game and an offensive scheme that suits him (most QB do)

 

But there's only been 1 year where the Steelers had an effective, top 10 D and he didn't carry them into the playoffs - and that was 2012, when he missed 3 games and was arguably hampered afterwards.  In his 14 year career, there are only 3 years where his team hasn't had a winning record; their worst record was 8-8.

 

He has played at a high level consistently for 14 years.  His stats such as completion percentage, #TD, TD/INT, passing yards, YPA etc have either improved or held steady.  He is in no way being carried by a "first impression" and become "less effective ever sense". 

 

He does have his negatives for off-field behavior, but he got married in 2011 and has either stopped or kept any off-field crap out of the news since then.

I think he's probably kept on with being a douche, based on his recent comments and his "maybe I'll retire/maybe I won't" schtick, but he's an excellent QB.

 

 

I have had my coffee!

 

I will say that I do not watch the Steelers games very often. But by way of supporting my opinion, The Steelers have been consistently good for about 30 years. Many of them with non-luminaries at quarterback. Here is a synopsis of Cowher's career there. (all from wiki)

 

 

'In Cowher's 15 seasons as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team won eight division titles and made 10 playoff appearances. Cowher led the Steelers to the Super Bowl twice, winning one. He is the second coach in NFL history to reach the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished by Paul Brown. Cowher resigned as head coach of the Steelers on January 5, 2007, 11 months after winning Super Bowl XL in 2006 over the Seattle Seahawks."

 

Ben was only there for 2 of those years.

 

The Steelers won again in Feb 2009.

 

Here are Ben's stats from that season. "For the fifth year in a row the Steelers offense was led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger,[16] who finished the season with 3,301 passing yards and 17 touchdowns, with 15 interceptions. "

 

Here are Warner's : Warner posted one of his best seasons in 2008, throwing for 4,583 yards and 30 touchdowns, with only 14 interceptions

 

Here are Ben's stats from the 2008-09 Superbowl. Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, with one interception.

 

Here are Warner's : Warner completed 31 of 43 passes for 377 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception. His 377 yards was the second most in Super Bowl history behind his own record of 414 yards in Super Bowl XXXIV. Tom Brady passed Kurt Warner record by throwing for 466 yards during a 28-3 comeback in Super Bowl LI.

 

So yes, Ben has played well enough that the team gets to the playoffs pretty often. But I am not so sure he "carries" them there. As I have shown, they got to the playoffs before him.  And last won a superbowl 9 years ago in a season and a game where he performed just ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have stepped in better **** than this rapist.  his iq is somewhere between a beet and a cabbage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I have had my coffee!

 

I will say that I do not watch the Steelers games very often. But by way of supporting my opinion, The Steelers have been consistently good for about 30 years. Many of them with non-luminaries at quarterback. Here is a synopsis of Cowher's career there. (all from wiki)

 

 

'In Cowher's 15 seasons as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team won eight division titles and made 10 playoff appearances. Cowher led the Steelers to the Super Bowl twice, winning one. He is the second coach in NFL history to reach the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished by Paul Brown. Cowher resigned as head coach of the Steelers on January 5, 2007, 11 months after winning Super Bowl XL in 2006 over the Seattle Seahawks."

 

Ben was only there for 2 of those years.

 

The Steelers won again in Feb 2009.

 

Here are Ben's stats from that season. "For the fifth year in a row the Steelers offense was led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger,[16] who finished the season with 3,301 passing yards and 17 touchdowns, with 15 interceptions. "

 

Here are Warner's : Warner posted one of his best seasons in 2008, throwing for 4,583 yards and 30 touchdowns, with only 14 interceptions

 

Here are Ben's stats from the 2008-09 Superbowl. Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, with one interception.

 

Here are Warner's : Warner completed 31 of 43 passes for 377 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception. His 377 yards was the second most in Super Bowl history behind his own record of 414 yards in Super Bowl XXXIV. Tom Brady passed Kurt Warner record by throwing for 466 yards during a 28-3 comeback in Super Bowl LI.

 

So yes, Ben has played well enough that the team gets to the playoffs pretty often. But I am not so sure he "carries" them there. As I have shown, they got to the playoffs before him.  And last won a superbowl 9 years ago in a season and a game where he performed just ok.

 

Um, Meanie? 

Your point to which I responded was that Roethlisberger is being carried by his "first impressions" in the league and has been "less effective ever since".

 

Arguing that the Steelers were a great team for a long time under Cowher but Ben was only there his final 2 years, does not prove or disprove that point (the number is actually 3, but that 's a nit).  Neither does comparing Big Ben's 2008 statistics or Warners.

 

The only thing that can support your point, would be to show that Ben has, in fact, been less effective ever since his "first impression" in the league, however you want to define that - first 3 years?  first 5 years? relative to more recently.

 

I don't think you can support that point.

 

We would agree that Ben does not "carry" the team, but since I explictly stated that, and it wasn't a point you tried to make, that's not too germaine.

 

27 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

rudolph's no.1 guy.

 

The only things that will affect how much Ben throws to Washington are 1) whether Washington is on the field 2) whether he runs his routes effectively and is open 3) whether he effectively hauls in whatever Ben throws his way

 

To not throw to an open, effective WR because he was the #1 college target of the backup QB your team drafted would be football stupid.  And Ben hasn't remained a top QB in the NFL for more than a decade by being football stupid.

 

Off the field, he has sometimes appeared to have the mental acuity of a potted plant, but that won't impact whether and how much he throws to Washington.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad Steelers season = Tomlin fired and next regime moving forward with Rudolph and Ben traded to Miami or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Um, Meanie? 

Your point to which I responded was that Roethlisberger is being carried by his "first impressions" in the league and has been "less effective ever since".

 

Arguing that the Steelers were a great team for a long time under Cowher but Ben was only there his final 2 years, does not prove or disprove that point (the number is actually 3, but that 's a nit).  Neither does comparing Big Ben's 2008 statistics or Warners.

 

The only thing that can support your point, would be to show that Ben has, in fact, been less effective ever since his "first impression" in the league, however you want to define that - first 3 years?  first 5 years? relative to more recently.

 

I don't think you can support that point.

 

We would agree that Ben does not "carry" the team, but since I explictly stated that, and it wasn't a point you tried to make, that's not too germaine.

 

 

The only things that will affect how much Ben throws to Washington are 1) whether Washington is on the field 2) whether he runs his routes effectively and is open 3) whether he effectively hauls in whatever Ben throws his way

 

To not throw to an open, effective WR because he was the #1 college target of the backup QB your team drafted would be football stupid.  And Ben hasn't remained a top QB in the NFL for more than a decade by being football stupid.

 

Off the field, he has sometimes appeared to have the mental acuity of a potted plant, but that won't impact whether and how much he throws to Washington.

 

my original point was just a (tongue in cheek) comment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I cannot wait until Will Ferrell plays him in a spoof about a meathead QB.  The golf course scene will be EPIC.  Can we please crowdfund for this to happen?

I always felt he looked more like Seth Rogan, but to each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

my original point was just a (tongue in cheek) comment...

 

Gotcha.  (Hard to tell here sometimes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wonder if he took the team into consideration when he forced him self on to women and had to settle outside of court on rape allegations.

 

Or when he decided it was a better move to ride his motorcycle WITHOUT A HELMET, and crashing the thing almost ending his career if not his life.

 

Moreover, as touched on, the guy has publicly wavered on his own future in the league. 

 

Edited by BillsFan17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He's a dick, but he is right. If you are trying to win now you use that third rounder to help try to win a Super Bowl. 

 

 

Having a solid backup QB might help along those lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I love Big Ben as a qb (not a person) but I think he’s taken too many heads to the hit. He threatens to retire every year.  Also, he’s that threatened by a 3rd round pick?  He seems very insecure. 

 

Also, I love the Steeelers draft. I can’t believe how lucky they get with wrs.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×