Rumour: Rosen and Mayfield were off the Bills' Board

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

My point is...would you not use a 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick on Mayfield or Rosen..or remove them from your board completely, as was reported.

Gotcha...I am wondering if it is actually "take them off the board as a 1st round selection"

And of course you know they wont be there in the 2nd

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

I like the Allen Pick.  Watching the Bills Raiders in a 42 degree downpour, Cali QB Carr struggled, Tyrod & Shady won the game on the ground and with control passing game with a big assist from Milano on D.

Allen is big, big hands, and has played in nasty conditions.

Granted Jack Kemp was a cali boy who helped the bills win their only two titles.

Josh Allen is a Cali guy as well.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Yet through the entire combine/ draft process Beane has said the offense would be different based on the player they drafted and that unique skill set. Sounds like exactly what you would want them to do. Are they going to have a preferred player profile of their " ideal QB" ? Of course , and that's as it should be. Why should this indicate that they don't know / have the ability to work with something else? It doesn't , an dthe goal if most every team is to have one QB that leads their team for years. Not to have a bunch of QBs and design various offenses around them. 

Just my observation and opinion.. backed up by their never ending cycle of bringing in players that match what Carolina does on both sides of the ball. AND just because they say it means nothing. I've heard many coaches say things that never happened, They really didn't seem to make any adjustmetns to accomodate TT's strengths last year.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

And this makes me happy the Browns took Mayfield. If they had taken Darnold we probably would have traded the farm to get to 2 and take Allen.

Beane has gone on record saying preserving 2019 1st rd pick was most important. They would of never been able to trade up to 2 without offering 2019 1st rd pick

3 hours ago, eball said:

Very interesting.  We'll see what happens.

As an aside, I was talking with a buddy who is a big USC fan and he was much more down on Darnold than I expected.  Said he's your typical laid-back CA kid and while he has all of the physical ability he's also a "happy-go-lucky" kind of guy and he's not sure he has the competitive fire to lead an NFL team.  It was a perspective I hadn't heard previously; if true, NYC will eat him alive.

I heard a Sal Pal interview that kind of went along with these thoughts too.

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

which QB wasn't rumored to be at top of Bills draft board...it was a smorgasbord pick your sourced rumor of whom the Bills would take Ridiculous amount of smoke this past pre draft.....SMH

And yet Darlington was always adamant his source was correct and was. There is or was still a leak 

49 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The point is, injuries are a knock on three of the big four QBs.

Moreover,  broken clavicle is not to be taken litely, look at Romo as an example.

And again, as far as concussions, to use that as a knock, he could go an entire career without getting another. Or the likelihood of him getting more throughout his career that we dont even know about, ala Brady style is possible as well.

I mean, we act like teams don't have their doctors evaluate these kids. We watch players every year fall in the draft due to medicals.

If teams were that worried, he wouldn't have went in the top ten.

That's true only if you count every injury equally.

The thing to keep in mind with Rosen is he doesn't need the money. He gets his bell rung again and he could say eff it. 

3 hours ago, Magox said:

If you listened to everything that Beane was saying when looking at the sort of QB that he wants to lead this franchise, Darnold and Allen fit more the mold of QB that they are looking for.

They may very well end up being wrong on their evaluations but at least they went and got their guy.  You can't ask for anything more than that.

I do believe the vast majority of fans were in the camp of "take a shot" at a franchise QB, and most of those, myself included, were of the opinion they would rather the FO take a chance and fail then not take a chance at all. Well, they did. I'm with you, we can't really ask for more than that.

I believe the order of their board was Darnold and then Allen. There is no way they were going to get Darnold, so, they went with Allen. The longevity of the FO and coaching staff will be primarily dependent upon the talent assembled and the ability to get the most out of that talent on the field. I'm feeling pretty good about both so far. Here's hoping for the best with Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There was an insider on this board, can't remember who but other people here vouched for him, who said that the Bills were trying like hell to get 1 of 2 QBs they really liked in this draft. He said that they knew the other guys had issues they wanted to avoid. So that makes sense with the info you heard. They've been trying to trade up for Darnold or Allen all along.

I remember that! 

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

In a pre draft interview McD said they were doing character and fit evals before play evaluation.   That seems crazy out of order.  

It is a team building vs. talent collection approach.  The Bills did it the opposite way for years and where did it get them?  The objective is to get the most talented players who also fit into your team vision.  Early results last year are promising.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Sadly, I agree with this.   Sad, because I think Rosen has the talent to be something special.   And we've watched countless Bills teams pass up talent over the years because of coaching philosophies that ultimately didn't get the job done.   

Maybe McD will break that pattern and Allen will be the next Jim Kelly/Cam Newton.   I hope so.   But McBeane's legacy will always be linked to how their decision plays out...

There is nothing to be sad about.  Because of the nature of the position associated with leadership and interacting with the players the person's personality and ability to relate to others is part of the evaluation process. If he was a CB, LB, OL, DL or receiver the personality quirks/traits wouldn't be much of a factor. 

I consider Rosen to be a terrific talent. He is the most polished and prepared qb in this draft class. Going to Arizona was the best situation for him to go to considering the options. As I stated in a prior post I believe that all of the top tier qbs in this draft class will succeed. Much of that success is predicated on being in the right situation. I believe that Arizona is a good  situation for him. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So the quarterback our team considered to be the best in the draft now plays in our division for the next 20 years. 

raining_david_tennant.gif

If this means that the Patriots are facing two elite quarterbacks in the division for four games per season for the next 20 years, I will enjoy the Pats suffering more than I should.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is nothing to be sad about.  Because of the nature of the position associated with leadership and interacting with the players the person's personality and ability to relate to others is part of the evaluation process. If he was a CB, LB, OL, DL or receiver the personality quirks/traits wouldn't be much of a factor. 

I consider Rosen to be a terrific talent. He is the most polished and prepared qb in this draft class. Going to Arizona was the best situation for him to go to considering the options. As I stated in a prior post I believe that all of the top tier qbs in this draft class will succeed. Much of that success is predicated on being in the right situation. I believe that Arizona is a good  situation for him. 

He is gonna need to learn when to give up on plays so he is not taking hits......the hits of the NFL are going to make Rosen long for the hits of college I think.

I wish him luch

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know that it is a huge surprise. I simply repeat what he told me.  

That's the point. Those who needed to know knew what was part of the package. Due diligence was applied and then a reasonable  judgment was made. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

He grabbed his junk on national TV......you dont think a GM is gonna give a long hard thought to that being the face of the franchise?  There is also TMZ footage of him being arrested.

In the grand scheme of all things, neither of these incidents are really that big of a deal.

In the grand scheme of the NFL... these incidents still aren't that big of a deal when compared to other things players have done.