Do You Wear a Watch?

RaoulDuke79

I have not worn a watch since I was a kid. I do not see the practical need for one. My phone can tell me what time it is and alert me to appointments. I do not like wearing any kind of jewelry.

From the feedback here, those who wear one appear to appreciate the aesthetics. Honestly, when I see an older person looking at their watch I think ‘luddite’ much the same as when I receive an email from an aol account.

21 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

I have not worn a watch since I was a kid. I do not see the practical need for one. My phone can tell me what time it is and alert me to appointments. I do not like wearing any kind of jewelry.

From the feedback here, those who wear one appear to appreciate the aesthetics. Honestly, when I see an older person looking at their watch I think ‘luddite’ much the same as when I receive an email from an aol account.

Wrist watches were invented because people found it troublesome to fish out a pocket-watct from their pants.

I also find it interesting that I'm still able to point at my wrist and people automatically know I'm asking for the time. How long will that idiosyncrasy last...

I've had some nicer watches, but I'm really into Russian mechanical watches, specifically Vostoks, mostly Soviet era. They're nearly indestructible, and I don't feel bad modding them because they're plentiful and cheap-ish.

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

I started wearing a watch because I wanted one less excuse to look at my phone. It helped me cut my screen time in half.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Wrist watches were invented because people found it troublesome to fish out a pocket-watct from their pants.

I also find it interesting that I'm still able to point at my wrist and people automatically know I'm asking for the time. How long will that idiosyncrasy last...

Interesting, probably taken from fashion and applied during war:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/10/23/fashion/wrist-watches-from-battlefield-to-fashion-accessory.html

I guess it goes back a little further than the trenches of Europe in WWI... Then again, trench warfare does start to come into more prominence during the 1860s in the Boer War, our Civil War. Funny how things (trenches) like that catch on across the globe in various wars (our Civil War, The Crimea 1850s, Boer, etc...).

i have a really nice omega watch that i was given as a gift from graduate school.  loved it, but it was one of those self winders.  i'd forget to put it on its stand, and over time, it just started to act funny, where it would stop keeping accurate time even when wound.  i was told that i have to send it back for a cleaning and "tune up", but it costs $400.  just haven't motivated to do it...so no.  no watch here.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

There’s nothing more accurate than the satellite time on your phone. My bedroom clock and my car clock and my kitchen/microwave can all be off a minute or two.

Investing is another category all together. Agreed, I’m not a showcase guy. 

My atomic watch is as accurate as my phone and I just have to raise it a little to see it, versus having to pull my phone out.  Plus it's a beautiful watch and I get a lot of compliments on it.

3 hours ago, sodbuster said:

I've had some nicer watches, but I'm really into Russian mechanical watches, specifically Vostoks, mostly Soviet era. They're nearly indestructible, and I don't feel bad modding them because they're plentiful and cheap-ish.

I started wearing a watch because I wanted one less excuse to look at my phone. It helped me cut my screen time in half.

I’ve got some Invicta divers and I have one Vostok that I love. It’s been Beat to absolute hell and the only reason it’s been sketchy is because I accidentally wore it in the shower with the crown opened. I’m sure half the inside is full of buildup and small bits or rust. I have an extremely nice Marathon that is my daily timepiece so no need to have it fixed up. I do miss that watch tho. 

19 hours ago, Augie said:

There’s nothing more accurate than the satellite time on your phone. My bedroom clock and my car clock and my kitchen/microwave can all be off a minute or two.

Investing is another category all together. Agreed, I’m not a showcase guy. 

Also, when I went overseas and lost cell connection, my phone never updated.

I guess I could have changed it myself, but why carry around a large brick just to see the time?

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Also, when I went overseas and lost cell connection, my phone never updated.

I guess I could have changed it myself, but why carry around a large brick just to see the time?

I get all these points. I’m always going to have my phone with me anyway, so I just use it rather than my watches. I do wear a watch to formal events, and would wear one to work....if I still worked. (I should look into that again, I think... ^_^)

One of my watches sat on a shelf in my closet for so long I assumed the battery had died, because it had stopped. I took it to the mall to get the battery changed, and at the very last second, right before I embarrassed myself, I saw in very fine print that it is solar operated! It was ticking away!Just don’t leave it in a dark closet and it goes forever. 

My wife has some interesting stats on millennials and watches. Basically (which is all I can remember), very few wear them, and the ones that do do it mostly for decoration. My son had a small collection, but I saw him usually checking his phone out of habit. 

I love smart watches.  It's sooo helpful at work, can glance at notifications in meetings and ignore / respond if needed.  I also love it as a Golf GPS device.  I'm currently using a Garmin Vivoactive 3.  It's fantastic.

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 8:31 PM, DC Tom said:

I'm on my second Seiko in thirty years.  I've spent a total of $400 on watches in that time.

My wife spends $40 on a new watch every year, because she buys $40 watches that break every year.

Cheap is expensive.

I had a Seiko that lasted over 20 years. When it stopped running a year ago, I replaced it with another Seiko.

It's true a cell phone or quartz movement watch will give you much more accurate time than an expensive mechanical movement watch, but that completely misses the point if you are into chronology and a watch geek.  

The last Ferrari 250 GTO from 1962 sold for $38 million.  

A new corvette for 55 grand or so would slaughter the 250 on any track in the world...

But one car is worth 38 million and appreciating, the other is depreciating as I type.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2018 at 8:31 PM, DC Tom said:

I'm on my second Seiko in thirty years.  I've spent a total of $400 on watches in that time.

My wife spends $40 on a new watch every year, because she buys $40 watches that break every year.

Cheap is expensive.

You should explain that to her.

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

You should explain that to her.

I have.  Multiple times.  Doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Now cmon..she is Married to Tom..do you really believe she can think logically or make good choices?

We both freely admit this.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:31 PM, DC Tom said:

Cheap is expensive.

Your wife sounds exactly like Mr CGF.

Seems he goes to Walmart every 15 months. Meanwhile my Seiko sits in the jewelry box for wearing on special occasions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

It takes a real man to wear that watch. You qualified?

I’ve never in my life been accused of stolen valor until now. I am not a Marine. Never was a Marine. I have never been in any branch of military. These watches are government issued and are hard to find. I am a watch wearer and appreciate a good quality watch. This was bought for me as a gift. It’s not like I’m wearing this watch and telling war stories. Or going to flea markets to pick up old military uniforms and wear them around everywhere claiming I am or was in the military. 

I appreciate those that fight fight for this country. And I would never try and steal that glory from someone. 

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Does anybody really know what time it is? 

Name that band....

I know, it’s easy, but.....

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day .... you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day .... you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!

WAIT! That song is about ME, and I just now realized it! I either need to get a life, or sue for royalties! 

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ve never in my life been accused of stolen valor until now. I am not a Marine. Never was a Marine. I have never been in any branch of military. These watches are government issued and are hard to find. I am a watch wearer and appreciate a good quality watch. This was bought for me as a gift. It’s not like I’m wearing this watch and telling war stories. Or going to flea markets to pick up old military uniforms and wear them around everywhere claiming I am or was in the military. 

I appreciate those that fight fight for this country. And I would never try and steal that glory from someone. 

Sorry, you misread my intentions. No disrespect or any "deep" meaning was intended. It's a nice "manly" watch.

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

It takes a real man to wear that watch. You qualified?

I don't see anywhere, where he tried to imply that he is, or was, a Marine.  How could you interpret what he posted in such a way?

59 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Sorry, you misread my intentions. No disrespect or any "deep" meaning was intended. It's a nice "manly" watch.

Oh. Well, I didn’t want to offend or disrespect anyone who has ever served in our military. I thought maybe you were accusing me of that. Maybe I jumped the gun a little quickly. 

Yeah, I’m manly enough to wear that watch. I’ve got bigger, and beefier watches that make this one look like a kiddy watch. 

1302CFFB-A939-47E8-99DC-322BD5E17494.jpeg

Wear a Samsung Gear.

In another life I wear this one. I love this watch.

http://www.tiffany.com/watches/mens-watches/atlas-3-hand-375-mm-34876045?fromGrid=1&origin=browse&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=288171&trackgridpos=12

On 4/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, DC Tom said:

Cheap is expensive.

"Cheap man always pays twice" At least that's what my great uncle, Leo used to say all the time! Sure is true.

Edited by Dante

2 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

After 20 of not wearing a watch, I received this one as a present from my dad,  nothing special but I like it. I didn't know CAT made watches

yt.169.61.117-min.png

https://catwatches.com/collections/yt/yt-169-61-117/

They don't, probably just throw their name on it.  Somebody makes it for them.

It's a brand.  Probably China.

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/115464-big-cat-country-caterpillar-watches/

"...In addition to products made by Caterpillarthemselves, the corporation also sells the right to others to manufacture, market and sell products that are branded Caterpillar to licensees, and these outrider companies include Wolverine World Wide, a licensee since 1994 and responsible for all Caterpillar branded footwear. Watches have gone the same way, with the brand being licensed by a third party producer, and a bit of additional research has found that the company directly responsible for the manufacture and marketing of Caterpillar brand watches is Time Network Ltd., also called Time Network Swiss GmbH..."

• Like (+1) 1