Same old Browns. Hue Jackson reported to be shut out by his own GM

Dorsey has to keep Hue around to appease the owner, but now that he ahs the job he is going to treat him like crap and fire him the first chance he gets. The owner can't choose the 1-31 coach who just went 0-16 over the new GM who just helped build KC into a solid team. Dorsey knows he'll get his way.

Worst case scenario for Dorsey is the Browns go 8-8 or so, making firing Hue more difficult. Thus the need to embarrass him and get him to act out as he typically does.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Honestly surprised that Dorsey took the job, knowing he wouldn't be able to hire his own HC the first season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mandate that Hue gets one more season came from the owner.

But if this is true, then that lends some more credibility to that other thread that spoke of the coaching staff wanting Allen, vs the FO wanting Darnold.

3 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Hue needs the Browns far more than the Browns need him. If he continues to flop, the Browns will be a very attractive coaching gig. 

Heck, if he was in charge, we could probably trade the #1 overall pick for AJ McCarron.

The Browns may have some good young players and a pile of draft picks, but their owner is also a pile....of something else. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Hue is one of my Personal Entries in the Crow Pie eating contest.  When rumor had it he was favored by Whaley as the HC for the Bills (instead of wRex) I favored this choice.  At this point, I believe I would have had to "belly up to the bar" for my serving of pie.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Hue needs the Browns far more than the Browns need him. If he continues to flop, the Browns will be a very attractive coaching gig. 

Heck, if he was in charge, we could probably trade the #1 overall pick for AJ McCarron.

Hue also wanted to draft Wentz and Watson.  Funny that the offensive coach wanted to get a qb.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hue is one of my Personal Entries in the Crow Pie eating contest.  When rumor had it he was favored by Whaley as the HC for the Bills (instead of wRex) I favored this choice.  At this point, I believe I would have had to "belly up to the bar" for my serving of pie.

I don't think you have to eat it. The biggest thing is that he would have kept Jim Schwartz, so after we fired Hue, we would have already had out new head coach on staff. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hue also wanted to draft Wentz and Watson.  Funny that the offensive coach wanted to get a qb.

No, Hue DIDN'T want them. He wanted Goff. That's one of the strikes against him, even though Goff was gone.  He didn't want either of the other 2.

17 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Hue is a dead man walking.  he gets no say.  Dorsey will want to hire his own HC after this season

Exactamundo.

He's just filling a space for one more season.

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

No, Hue DIDN'T want them. He wanted Goff. That's one of the strikes against him, even though Goff was gone.  He didn't want either of the other 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hue-jackson-reportedly-wanted-carson-wentz-browns-didnt-think-hed-be-a-top-qb/amp/

check your sources.  Also, Goff was good last year too and he definitely wanted Watson last year.  That’s why he is still there.  He was right and got overruled by guys trying to tank (which is why the new GM has a very easy job now).

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Exactamundo.

He's just filling a space for one more season.

Which also serves the purpose of not starting the clock on Dorsey yet. Well done by Mr Dorsey! 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hue-jackson-reportedly-wanted-carson-wentz-browns-didnt-think-hed-be-a-top-qb/amp/

check your sources.  Also, Goff was good last year too and he definitely wanted Watson last year.  That’s why he is still there.  He was right and got overruled by guys trying to tank (which is why the new GM has a very easy job now).

That’s why it will be hard to replace him with a good coach. I’ve heard that he’s been the voice of reason, and shut down. Who wants to step into that situation? Has Dorsey muzzled the owner and fixed the dysfunctional FO? 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To be fair, it's reported that Hue has multiple media outlets that he leaks info to (which is the whole basis of the tweet in the first post), so it could just be a case of hindsight correction.

I assume Peter King is one of them - the others, harder to guess maybe? At the end of the day, I would take everything (even my own opening post) with a grain of salt. But still, fun to speculate!

7 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

To be fair, it's reported that Hue has multiple media outlets that he leaks info to (which is the whole basis of the tweet in the first post), so it could just be a case of hindsight correction.

I assume Peter King is one of them - the others, harder to guess maybe? At the end of the day, I would take everything (even my own opening post) with a grain of salt. But still, fun to speculate!

Yeah, leading up to the draft it was reported over and over th at Jackson loved Goff but wasn't sold on Wentz. When St. Louis traded up for Goff, Cleveland traded down.

Mike Silver is good buddies with Jackson too and it's rumored Jackson leaks stuff to him and others a lot.

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sure he did.....

I posted this a few months ago:http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171204/blogs06/144476/hue-jackson-preferred-carson-wentz-all-along-or-was-it-jared-goff-or

"What coach wouldn't want Wentz at this point? Better yet, what coach would want it known that he DIDN'T WANT WENTZ at this point?

Jackson clearly wants us to believe that he doesn't fall into the latter category, even if all of the reporting prior to Sunday — most of it from the NFL Network's Mike Silver, a close friend of Jackson — said that Jackson was on board with the Browns passing on Wentz, and that he preferred Goff."

"After the Browns' debacle of a Halloween, when they failed to execute a trade for Bengals backup A.J. McCarron, Silver tweeted that the two QBs Jackson "has wanted most since taking over are Goff and Garoppolo." (A day before the Browns were willing to give up second- and third-round picks for McCarron, whom Jackson coached in Cincinnati, the 49ers acquired Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots for a second-round pick.)"

"In that piece, Silver said Jackson "was blown away" (there's that description again) by Robert Griffin III's workout with the Browns, and thus the coach "became less desperate to draft Goff."

"Also in that story, Silver wrote that "neither Jackson nor Brown were as convinced about Wentz, nor was Brown's analytics team (chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta said publicly the Browns didn't believe he was a "top 20" quarterback)."

Here's the best (and all you need about Hue's grasp on the QB spot (and how his "media mouthpieces" are full of crap):

That piece had a quote from Jackson on Griffin's now-infamous workout with the Browns. Let's just say it's one the coach would probably like to have back.

"Other than Carson Palmer coming out of SC, this might have been the best quarterback workout I've ever seen," Jackson said in the story. "I mean, it was phenomenal."

So...Hue didn't want Wentz.  He wanted Goff, until he saw RG3 and figured they din't need Goff.

This guy's current employment can only be chalked up to the serial incompetence of the Browns FO.

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nope.  See above.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Ironically, when you read the original post he is talking about, the writer did in fact, just make it up!

Josh Norris says the Browns didn't tell the media who they are taking at one, which means Jackson doesn't know, because he says Jackson would have told. 

There is not a fact or even a secret source. he just literally made it up. And it gets reported as news.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sure he did.....

I posted this a few months ago:http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171204/blogs06/144476/hue-jackson-preferred-carson-wentz-all-along-or-was-it-jared-goff-or

"What coach wouldn't want Wentz at this point? Better yet, what coach would want it known that he DIDN'T WANT WENTZ at this point?

Jackson clearly wants us to believe that he doesn't fall into the latter category, even if all of the reporting prior to Sunday — most of it from the NFL Network's Mike Silver, a close friend of Jackson — said that Jackson was on board with the Browns passing on Wentz, and that he preferred Goff."

"After the Browns' debacle of a Halloween, when they failed to execute a trade for Bengals backup A.J. McCarron, Silver tweeted that the two QBs Jackson "has wanted most since taking over are Goff and Garoppolo." (A day before the Browns were willing to give up second- and third-round picks for McCarron, whom Jackson coached in Cincinnati, the 49ers acquired Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots for a second-round pick.)"

"In that piece, Silver said Jackson "was blown away" (there's that description again) by Robert Griffin III's workout with the Browns, and thus the coach "became less desperate to draft Goff."

"Also in that story, Silver wrote that "neither Jackson nor Brown were as convinced about Wentz, nor was Brown's analytics team (chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta said publicly the Browns didn't believe he was a "top 20" quarterback)."

Here's the best (and all you need about Hue's grasp on the QB spot (and how his "media mouthpieces" are full of crap):

That piece had a quote from Jackson on Griffin's now-infamous workout with the Browns. Let's just say it's one the coach would probably like to have back.

"Other than Carson Palmer coming out of SC, this might have been the best quarterback workout I've ever seen," Jackson said in the story. "I mean, it was phenomenal."

So...Hue didn't want Wentz.  He wanted Goff, until he saw RG3 and figured they din't need Goff.

This guy's current employment can only be chalked up to the serial incompetence of the Browns FO.

Nope.  See above.

It’s fine. You believe your link, I’ll believe mine. And even IF yours is closer to the truth, what a loser Jackson is for “settling” for a 2nd year qb who threw 28 tds to 7 ints for the highest scoring team in the nfl.  What an idiot!!!

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ironically, when you read the original post he is talking about, the writer did in fact, just make it up!

Josh Norris says the Browns didn't tell the media who they are taking at one, which means Jackson doesn't know, because he says Jackson would have told. 

There is not a fact or even a secret source. he just literally made it up. And it gets reported as news.

I wouldn't say that he just made it up, but rather drew a conclusion based on empirical evidence.

There are 2 points that we can draw this from:

1. Hue has a history of leaking to the media, and has a few known mouthpieces

2. Media has no clue who the Browns are taking

Hence, Hue doesn't know. I'm totally simplifying it, and drawing my own conclusions, but take that for what it's worth.

Jackson has to make the playoffs if he even wants to have a chance to keep his job... 

56 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I still dont know why he wasnt fired after last season.   You could tell Dorsey wanted him gone when he took over.

I saw a compelling argument somewhere that made the case that keeping Hue acted as a safetynet for Dorseys first year and allowed a scapegoat like the colts did with Ballard and Pagano. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s fine. You believe your link, I’ll believe mine. And even IF yours is closer to the truth, what a loser Jackson is for “settling” for a 2nd year qb who threw 28 tds to 7 ints for the highest scoring team in the nfl.  What an idiot!!!

Browns RG3 was nowhere near Redskins rookie RG3. He had been figured out long before that. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

[checks Browns schedule]

hes 0-4 and fired by October 

Come on, we play the Jets week 3!

From everything I hear thisis pretty standard.  Dorsey wont let his intentions known til Wed night to Haslam and Thursday morning the team.  I expect Beane to be similar.  I think Beane and Mcdermott have similar trains of thought but Beane will finally say what his plan is to Terry Kim and Mcdermott.