Who in the Hell Is Mel Kiper, Jr?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Kiper was literally that nerdy kid living in his mom's basement who invented the concept of draft geek.  He is patient zero. The original. His spawn populates every newspaper, sports channel, blog and website. Kiper invented a job where being wrong does not affect your credibility.

.....probably STILL does........and STILL uses Vitalis............

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Mike Brown is so cheap that he used to use Kiper's big board in place of a scouting department. That sound like a yo mama joke, but it is the truth. 

How much worse off would teams be if they did that?

Serious question.

17 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Mike Mayock said that he only saw Cordy Glenn as a Guard in the NFL.

Kiper wasn't the only one.

Wasn't there something about him having short arms or something?

31 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

This is pretty damn funny haha.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Someone should look back to see how accurate this so called "Football experts" predictions have been i remember when the Bills took Cordy Glenn he said he was not starting caliber LT that he was better suited for the RT position .

Well There You Go !! Mel's wisdom at work ...

I would LOVE to do this.  I asked a while back if anyone could get me Kiper and Mayock's past QB evals so I can compare them to what happened.

I don't have ESPN Insider thus no access.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Instead of Dalton (who has his faults but has been a pro bowl qb and to the playoffs many times), they would have Locker, Gabbert, or Ponder.

The Bengals only had one full-time scout and three "scouting consultants" in 2011 (I checked Internet Archive). And remember, they have no GM. So who the hell knows who made that pick. And Locker, Gabbert and Ponder were all long gone by the time the Bengals picked Andy Dalton at 35th (Rd. 2). So I could argue that other teams saved Mike Brown from himself. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would LOVE to do this.  I asked a while back if anyone could get me Kiper and Mayock's past QB evals so I can compare them to what happened.

I don't have ESPN Insider thus no access.

I don't care how Kiper's mocks compare to the actual draft but I would be interested to know how well he evaluates players compared to NFL GMs. What I would want to do is to take a team (lets say the Bills) and for a period of 10 years (2005-2015) compare their actual draft performance to how they would have performed if they had selected Kiper's "best available" every time they picked. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Kiper was literally that nerdy kid living in his mom's basement who invented the concept of draft geek.  He is patient zero. The original. His spawn populates every newspaper, sports channel, blog and website. Kiper invented a job where being wrong does not affect your credibility.

SO basically he is all of us, except he gets paid 6-7 figures to do so. 

Sounds like a terrible gig. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

I would take Mel Kipers advice over majority of GM's.

Mel is right about as often as an avg NFL GM and at least as good as any other media prognosticator.

He was right Trev Alberts was a bust.

I find it funny though, the pick he was ripping at 2 was Marshall Faulk. Who was the right pick over Dilfer and Schuler.

2 hours ago, T master said:

Someone should look back to see how accurate this so called "Football experts" predictions have been i remember when the Bills took Cordy Glenn he said he was not starting caliber LT that he was better suited for the RT position .

Well There You Go !! Mel's wisdom at work ...

He said Thurman Thomas was a wasted pick.

Regaurdless of his eye for talent or his "skill".  He puts the time in and makes his honest opionions about the player and the team that picks him.  More so than most.  He has made a career for having a good amount of knowledge and challenging the NFL talent evaluators and former players.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

"Draft Expert" is one of the most amazing jobs ever created.  In what other vocation can a person be completely wrong more often than not yet face no accountability and no repercussions?  They all treat their position the way a starting CB treats his, except instead of "forget the last play" it's "forget what I said last year."

Stock Analysts and weathermen come to mind.... 

They make assertions all day long aspiring to be right slightly more often than wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Regaurdless of his eye for talent or his "skill".  He puts the time in and makes his honest opionions about the player and the team that picks him.  More so than most.  He has made a career for having a good amount of knowledge and challenging the NFL talent evaluators and former players.

Has Kiper really shown that he has knowledge and that he pushes NFL personnel departments ?   Over the years , he's consistently touted a number of players that NFL evaluators rightly ignored .

Just now, prissythecat said:

Has Kiper really shown that he has knowledge and that he pushes NFL personnel departments ?   Over the years , he's consistently touted a number of players that NFL evaluators rightly ignored .

He has surface knowledge of most of the guys drafted.  Pushes them?  No, by challenged he was the real first media member to blast poor picks on the spot.  With todays tv deals and the NFL partnerships Kiper is more blunt good bad or indifferent than the other talking heads.  Hes enteraining and he will rip a team for picking a guy he doesnt like.  

3 hours ago, eball said:

"Draft Expert" is one of the most amazing jobs ever created.  In what other vocation can a person be completely wrong more often than not yet face no accountability and no repercussions?  They all treat their position the way a starting CB treats his, except instead of "forget the last play" it's "forget what I said last year."

Meteorologist. 

Politician. 

CNBC personality

President and Managing partner for the Buffalo Bills

Edited by Bakin