Who in the Hell Is Mel Kiper, Jr?

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Rapoport didn't start for NFL Net. until 2012. (https://bostonsportsmedia.com/2012/03/06/rapsheet-heading-to-the-nfl-network/)

Not to say this tweet is fake, but two potential explanations: 

1- it's fake. 

2- He didn't have sources like he does now. 

Now, that being said, people are wrong all the time and Rap is as well. Not saying he's always right, but I would say he's better than Kiper. 

When you go back and look at any tweet anyone ever sent, it’s still with their current profile pic.

Still a freezing cold take.

So I think the case is closed. 

You guys are watching the draft coverage wrong if you think the "experts" are supposed to successfully predict the future.

Their job is to know the strengths and weaknesses of hundreds of college players, and be able to speak to the composition and organizational issues of the 32 NFL teams.

Chastising them for not being able to predict the future is pretty dumb.  They are guys who study the available material and are entertaining on television.

Nobody can predict the outcome of the NFL draft.  Literally nobody.  To expect someone to do it is just silly.  Take the coverage for what it is - entertainment and somewhat more in-depth information than the average fan has access to.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

He has surface knowledge of most of the guys drafted.  Pushes them?  No, by challenged he was the real first media member to blast poor picks on the spot.  With todays tv deals and the NFL partnerships Kiper is more blunt good bad or indifferent than the other talking heads.  Hes enteraining and he will rip a team for picking a guy he doesnt like.  

Lol.  ok.  I can certainly agree with that.

I find it funny that people dog these draft experts but they are generally in the ballpark and early round picks continue to dominate the league.

It's not really all that random.

Kiper is ok and what he does.    Not the best but not the worst.

I am grateful to Kiper and Jerry Jones(Drugstore List) for providing me with years of framework on which prospects to focus on back when it was hard to get a lot of video.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, kdiggz said:

he said he would retire if he was wrong about Jimmy Clausen being a top QB:

http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/mel-kiper-said-hed-retire-2018-jimmy-clausen-wasnt-successful-nfl-qb-well.html

how does this guy still have a job?

So he lied. Just like that other big fat (no offense meant to plump people BTW) liar with orange hair, who lives in a big white house in Washington DC...

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Kiper was literally that nerdy kid living in his mom's basement who invented the concept of draft geek.  He is patient zero. The original. His spawn populates every newspaper, sports channel, blog and website. Kiper invented a job where being wrong does not affect your credibility.

Well said.

He is not without certain talents.  He has an incredible mind/memory for names/schools/details and can accurately ramble off information on the fly about whatever and whomever is draft related.  Most people can't do that.

He is very dedicated and hard working, clearly, and passionate about what he does.  

He is also very good at coming across like he really knows what he is talking about.

Lastly, his approach is really helpful in the 24/7 news cycle we now have, where content of any kind is constantly in demand.

Kiper's approach of being able to fill infinite time slots with rambling factoids and details is just what media outlets need these days.  

I actually fully understand why is he famous and gets a lot of attention, but none of it has anything to do with him accurately predicting NFL talent.

:lol:

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

A guy with no qualifications who pitched the draft coverage idea to ESPN a lomg time ago

Yeppers.  The ultimate self made man.  People can hate him and the Kardashians all they want, but it's hard not to respect people who create something from nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yeppers.  The ultimate self made man.  People can hate him and the Kardashians all they want, but it's hard not to respect people who create something from nothing.

I don't hate him  I just hate the fact he is put out there as an "expert" when he has no real knowledge of anything other than just watching some film

Just now, matter2003 said:

I don't hate him  I just hate the fact he is put out there as an "expert" when he has no real knowledge of anything other than just watching some film

His expertise is not in evaluating football talent, but in entertaining football fans.

Look at the madness of this board every April.  Kiper was part of creating that, and he now makes himself a part of that madness, and the business it creates.

Who is Mel?

He's one of the better guys working in a field whose goal - matching guess to pick for 32 straight picks or even getting say 12 out of 32 correct is virtually impossible without having team sources actually telling you their pick.

You love him or you hate him but he's interesting and well-informed and maybe obsessive and that's why he's still around.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

got to say that was a smashing success, even if his picks are not.

Absolutely...I just want some of these guys to have some accountability when they grandstand about these players and then turn out to be so wrong it's laughable....

They act like it never happened.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Who is Mel?

He's one of the better guys working in a field whose goal - matching guess to pick for 32 straight picks or even getting say 12 out of 32 correct is virtually impossible without having team sources actually telling you their pick.

You love him or you hate him but he's interesting and well-informed and maybe obsessive and that's why he's still around.

Well part of the reason its impossible is because he is often times wrong on how good a player will be...but so are scouts in the NFL as well...the difference is if they are wrong enough times they lose their job while he has no accountability it seems

Edited by matter2003