Beane cost us the 3rd overall pick. JMO

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

But they'll get a franchise QB. Lets see what desperation does to the Bills. Could have been sitting pretty.

You keep saying this, but HOW?   Bills didn't have what the Colts wanted.   Bills don't have, in all likelihood, what the Giants want.  Bills MIGHT be able to get #4 from the Browns, but that just means they get their THIRD choice at QB and pay a lot for them. 

How were the Bills going to be sitting pretty?

I think a lot of posturing is going on right now. Come draft day is when negotiations will get serious. I think the Bills are in good shape in regards to trading up for a QB compared to other potential teams. It all depends on how they have their QBs ranked and what Cleveland is planning to do at #1.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Jest deal is almost as bad as Ditka's deal was in New Orleans and some want us to make a more costly deal.

I don't even like these QBs, except Darnold and Mayfield but the idea or GM got scooped tells me a lot about the way he operates. I thought he'd be aggressive in building a team and I need to seem much more from him then this. Maybe he'll get it right or maybe he'll be one of those I don't want to put my ass on the line GMs. We'll see.

I would much rather be in our current situation than the situation the Jets are currently in.  We still have some semblance of control in what we do Thursday night.  We could potentially trade up above the 3rd spot and draft WHOEVER we think is worth it.  Or we can stay where we are, or we can trade up anywhere in the top 10...

Meanwhile the Jets showed their hand weeks ago, and told the whole world that they are drafting a QB.  So anyone who might want one, come up above us.  Another team could very well jump above them and take the QB that they targeted, thus really hurting the value of their trade.

I'd MUCH rather over pay on draft day and ensure we get the player that we want, then over pay weeks ago and not get the player that we want.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And how has the Jets record of selecting QBs gone in the past 10 years?  Just because they can draft a QB doesnt mean they draft the right one. Lets not pretend whoever they draft is guaranteed to make the hall of fame.

Nearly the same as the Bills.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You keep saying this, but HOW?   Bills didn't have what the Colts wanted.   Bills don't have, in all likelihood, what the Giants want.  Bills MIGHT be able to get #4 from the Browns, but that just means they get their THIRD choice at QB and pay a lot for them. 

How were the Bills going to be sitting pretty?

If they traded to 3? The 3rd QB is probably a lot better than the 5th, or sixth.

But would it be a mistake if one of the top 4 (most likely Rosen), falls in the draft? Bills could end up keeping most of their picks if they end up only having to move up to 9 or 10. They have a lot of holes and this draft is said to be very deep in talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheBeane said:

I would much rather be in our current situation than the situation the Jets are currently in.  We still have some semblance of control in what we do Thursday night.  We could potentially trade up above the 3rd spot and draft WHOEVER we think is worth it.  Or we can stay where we are, or we can trade up anywhere in the top 10...

Meanwhile the Jets showed their hand weeks ago, and told the whole world that they are drafting a QB.  So anyone who might want one, come up above us.  Another team could very well jump above them and take the QB that they targeted, thus really hurting the value of their trade.

I'd MUCH rather over pay on draft day and ensure we get the player that we want, then over pay weeks ago and not get the player that we want.

I hope it works out this way. But that's blind hope at this point.

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

But will it be a mistake if one of the top 4 (most likely Rosen), falls in the draft. Bills could end up keeping most of their picks if they end up only having to move up to 9 or 10. They have a lot of holes and this draft is said to be very deep in talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

That's not the point though. What if we have a passive, "wait and see GM" who gets scooped again? What if Rosen is falling and the Pats or Cards trade to 9 and the Bills don't?

Edited by CuddyDark

23 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Something I've been thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel. Why do I say this? Everyone said Colts didn't want to trade out of the top 10. I believed this also, but the more I see mock drafts and hear the Colts GM saying he's not apposed to moving down the more I think Beane overplayed his hand for the 3rd pick. Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

Now here's the hard part.

I believe if Whaley is the GM we have the 3rd overall pick today and everyone is projecting we get Darnold or Rosen. It's sickening. Whaley would have given up "too much" but we'd be in a better position. JMO.

and if Whaley was the GM-- he would have taken an offensive lineman.

i also disagree .. Jets gave up a lot just to move 3 spots,  Rumor has it the Bills did make an offer but of course Jets offered more and Indy only had to move down to 6th

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I don't even like these QBs, except Darnold and Mayfield but the idea or GM got scooped tells me a lot about the way he operates. I thought he'd be aggressive in building a team and I need to seem much more from him then this. Maybe he'll get it right or maybe he'll be one of those I don't want to put my ass on the line GMs. We'll see.

The "idea" that he got scooped is just like mock draft - fantasy.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Something I've been thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel. Why do I say this? Everyone said Colts didn't want to trade out of the top 10. I believed this also, but the more I see mock drafts and hear the Colts GM saying he's not apposed to moving down the more I think Beane overplayed his hand for the 3rd pick. Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

I believe if Whaley is the GM we have the 3rd overall pick today and everyone is projecting we get Darnold or Rosen. It's sickening. Whaley would have given up "too much" but we'd be in a better position. JMO.

Only one question. Can I see the picture of you in the tinfoil hat?  The fact is you don't know if any of this is true.  It's pure conjecture and speculation without a shred of proof.  Relax man.  Wait until after the draft at least to start bitching.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

That's not the point though. What if we have a passive, "wait and see GM" who gets scooped again? What if Rosen is falling and the Pats or Cards trade to 9 and the Bills don't?

It will all come down to how Beane has the quarterbacks ranked. For example, if Darnold is ranked a 9.0 and the next 3 quarterbacks are all 8.0s then maybe it would be worth it to target Darnold at 2. Or if that is too expensive, then take the 4th qb that he has ranked at 8.0.

There are so many possibilities with a deep class of quarterbacks. When if Rudolph is their 2nd or 3rf rated qb? But they feel that they can get him at 22. They could end up with a stud defender at 12 and a qb they really like at 22. Again, there are so many variable to include another team’s willingness to trade out and move to pick 12. I think Beane is smart and savy so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for this draft to get it right. 

• Like (+1) 2

It will all come down to how Beane has the quarterbacks ranked. For example, if Darnold is ranked a 9.0 and the next 3 quarterbacks are all 8.0s then maybe it would be worth it to target Darnold at 2. Or if that is too expensive, then take the 4th qb that he has ranked at 8.0.

There are so many possibilities with a deep class of quarterbacks. When if Rudolph is their 2nd or 3rf rated qb? But they feel that they can get him at 22. They could end up with a stud defender at 12 and a qb they really like at 22. Again, there are so many variable to include another team’s willingness to trade out and move to pick 12. I think Beane is smart and savy so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for this draft to get it right. 

We can do nothing else at this point.

13 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

If they traded to 3? The 3rd QB is probably a lot better than the 5th, or sixth.

Are you listening?  The Bills didn't have a way to trade to 3.  The Colts GM said he wanted to stay in the top 10.   The Bills didn't have a way to give the Colts a pick in the top 10.   All they had was 21 and 22. 

What was Beane supposed to do?   Try to convince the Colts that 21 and 22 was the same as a top 10 pick?    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

How do you know? A feeling you have?

Pretty funny that you would ask such questions, when your original post is based upon nothing but speculation.

Once the draft is over, there will be time to evaluate how Beane did in his first draft. 

No.  Fire him now!

39 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Whaley would have traded everything for a higher pick, then ignored all the top QB talent and reached for a middling QB with the "it" factor and screwed us for years to come.

We know this because it has already happened.

End of thread.  (drops mic)

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Are you listening?  The Bills didn't have a way to trade to 3.  The Colts GM said he wanted to stay in the top 10.   The Bills didn't have a way to give the Colts a pick in the top 10.   All they had was 21 and 22. 

What was Beane supposed to do?   Try to convince the Colts that 21 and 22 was the same as a top 10 pick?    

And with some teams only identifying 15 first rounders and lots of depth in round 2, 21 and 22 were not worth that much. Every year is different, sometimes there is pro bowl projected talent in the 20's, this year there isn't.

Also, we could still get Rosen, maybe at 12.

Edited by MURPHD6

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

100% this. I don't believe i've ever seen so much overreaction to a draft pick before it's happened as this year. 

There are several busts just waiting to happen in this QB class, with no guarantees on any of them developing.  I like that we have 12 and 22.  This team has so many other holes to fill than just QB.  Whaley certainly would have sold the farm and then drafted anther EJ Manuel.  Not every Hall of Famer comes from the first round, or even the top 10 picks.  Ahhemm...  ever heard of a guy called Jim Kelly?

I really hope they don't move up.  There are plenty to have at 12.

52 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Brass Balls Beane deserves to be on the wall of fame for what he’s done here already.

Chill out. Give the man a chance on Thursday night damn.

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

In fairness, the Bills had the 12th and 22nd pick (since the Glenn trade came before the Jets swap). But it did seem like the Colts were more interested in dropping just a few slots as opposed to dropping outside the top 10. 

IMO  The OP is overthinking things here. It’s just a “feeling“ like everyone else’s feelings and opinions about this draft. Everybody is talking to everybody! Let’s just see what happens. Because whatever happens,  some of us will feel good about it and some of us are going to hate it.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Jets trade seems like a backup plan they had if the Bills tried to stick to the trade chart or lowball their offer.

Jets trade was a low risk move of essentially 2 spots ( Jets taking QB obviously) for 3 second round picks. 6 th pick is much better than 12th pick in the draft order. It's a better deal, plain and simple. Is this stuff really that hard to understand? Is it a fail on Beane that the Colts took the better picks? 

57 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Whaley was the worst GM that I have ever seen at evaluating QB's. I don't blame The Bean at all for not being able to get the 3rd rd pick. 

49 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Much worse than the Bills...they drafted at least 4(3 of them in high rounds) and none have worked out