AJ doesn't need arm strength

TheBeane

I don't care what anyone says, I really like McCarron, and I think there is alot to be excited about with him. He's always been an underrated passer IMO, and I am glad to see our team give him an opportunity to play. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is Jimmy Garrapolo 2.0

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

There is such a thing though as not having enough.  Teams just have to make sure a QB doesn't go below a threshold.  

I certainly agree with that.  But going gaga over someone because they can throw the ball 80 yards is ridiculous in my mind.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a funny story that before the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf draft, Polian was slicing and dicing film of the prospects every which way.

He came into a draft meeting and announced that he had noted a pronounced drop off in Manning's arm strength after 50 yds.

The way he recounts it, everyone looked at him and Mora said "OK then, it's Peyton, We won't draw up any pass plays longer than 50 yards"

I like that mentality.

What if your guy has a drop-off after 15 yards??

??

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

How many great QBs have had poor arm strength and how many poor QBs have had great arm strength?

I'll take the guy that can throw with accuracy every time over a guy that has a canon and doesn't know where the ball is going.

You don't need arm strength but you need a starting pedigree.

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

PETERMAN_of_genius.0.gif

Arm strength matters... Take a look at this weak ****.

Actually, "after further review" I think that he actually did throw it LATE... You can see the receiver standing there at the 40 waiting for the ball to arrive...

Granted that the DB made a real nice play on the ball but had it been there earlier it should have been a completion.

PETERMAN_of_genius.0.gif

He defin itely has weak arm, but I would think this particular play here was more an accuracy issue. It looks like the ball should have been placed more on the outside, or either the WR didn't run the route to the out like it "looks" like he was supposed to. To either or, a stronger arm would have maybe made it an incomplete pass. I'm not sure, it just looks like an all around bad route and bad throw.

I always think it is interesting how persons will react as if particular characteristics of a QBs play are mutually exclusive.  It is true that accuracy is more important than arm strength.  The ability throw with anticipation and timing are also up there, but there are times when velocity is pretty important.  It's not just the deep bomb.  It's also the sideline pass that you want to reach your receiver before the DB has a chance to break on the ball, and the aforementioned tight window.  I'm pretty sure AJ McCarron would agree with that.  I also understand that velocity is a continuum.  It's not as if you're stuck with a ball velocity of either 65 mph or 45 mph.  You can be anywhere in between.  It's also not as if having some potential velocity you want to use it on every throw.  Sometimes, I can imagine lofting the ball over short area defenders with a velocity of, say, 40 mph to have a nice, soft, catchable ball that the receiver can run under and catch in stride.  

PETERMAN_of_genius.0.gif

Arm strength isn't about launching the ball 60 yards down the field. Arm strength is about how quickly you can get the ball to the sideline and in the intermediate range. Any QB worthy of making an NFL roster can launch the ball 50 yards or more in the air. But what separates the best from backups is how strong a QB's arm is and how accurate their throwing is along with their decision making and footwork. 

Almost every single NFL QB has enough arm strength to throw in Buffalo.  It's such an overplayed thought to say that any of these guys can't throw in the wind or snow.  They are NFL QBs for heaven's sake.  He will be fine.  The only thing arm strength hurts you, really, is when you are trying to throw into tight windows and it gives the defenders a little bit more time to close the gaps.  In a game of inches, that can matter a lot.  But that is going to be the case anywhere, not just in the 1 or 2 games a year when weather is a factor in Buffalo.

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's still a factor to be considered under windy conditions and with certain throws such as deep sideline outs.

Deep sideline outs and other throws requiring arm strength are important in keeping defenses honest.  If you can’t make those throws then the short stuff won’t be there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

Actually, "after further review" I think that he actually did throw it LATE... You can see the receiver standing there at the 40 waiting for the ball to arrive...

Granted that the DB made a real nice play on the ball but had it been there earlier it should have been a completion.

Agreed, unfair sample size.

56 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Almost every single NFL QB has enough arm strength to throw in Buffalo.  It's such an overplayed thought to say that any of these guys can't throw in the wind or snow.  They are NFL QBs for heaven's sake.  He will be fine.  The only thing arm strength hurts you, really, is when you are trying to throw into tight windows and it gives the defenders a little bit more time to close the gaps.  In a game of inches, that can matter a lot.  But that is going to be the case anywhere, not just in the 1 or 2 games a year when weather is a factor in Buffalo.

Your right.  And exhibit A is Brady!  He throws in Boston and Buffalo wind just fine.  

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Arm strength is an overrated factor in QB selection.   

I would not say that. I think its more that a strong arm alone wont make you a good QB. Just like being smart wont make up for lack of arm strength. Each can help hide other things but you need a bit of both. 

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Your right.  And exhibit A is Brady!  He throws in Boston and Buffalo wind just fine.  

Brady does have good arm strength. The "draft profile" myth of Brady being so nonathletic lives on. Watch the ESPN sports science on him. Shows he is much fatser and stronger etc than people try to claim.