AJ doesn't need arm strength

TheBeane

1 minute ago, TheBeane said:

I get what he's saying, but playing outside in Buffalo you might need a little stronger arm than in other places.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/18/aj-mccarron-arm-strength-is-overrated-how-often-do-you-throw-60-yards/

There's a funny story that before the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf draft, Polian was slicing and dicing film of the prospects every which way.

He came into a draft meeting and announced that he had noted a pronounced drop off in Manning's arm strength after 50 yds.

The way he recounts it, everyone looked at him and Mora said "OK then, it's Peyton, We won't draw up any pass plays longer than 50 yards"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a funny story that before the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf draft, Polian was slicing and dicing film of the prospects every which way.

He came into a draft meeting and announced that he had noted a pronounced drop off in Manning's arm strength after 50 yds.

The way he recounts it, everyone looked at him and Mora said "OK then, it's Peyton, We won't draw up any pass plays longer than 50 yards"

Peyton and his 'lack of arm strength',  was actually my first thought when I saw this. He also had the luxury of playing in a dome most of his career.

5 minutes ago, jr1 said:

how many times are you really going to throw farther than this

Throwing far and velocity / arm strength are 2 really different things.

Arm strength in the context of what Bills fans are clamoring for is more synonomous with firnig the ball into a tight coverage window hard and fast enough to make it diffficult for the Defense ot make a play on the ball

As a reference look at Petermans almost INT in last years Jax playoff game

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jr1 said:

how many times are you really going to throw farther than this

notice his throwing motion and release. it didn't look like it was all he had. nice release. i always thought he was a bit of a pusher with his throws, but after seeing this, i may be wrong about that.

How many great QBs have had poor arm strength and how many poor QBs have had great arm strength?

I'll take the guy that can throw with accuracy every time over a guy that has a canon and doesn't know where the ball is going.

AJ was projected as a 2 - 3 round pick.

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

Man.....it really does...He didnt even throw that ball late. Great defensive play

I mean it was a good defensive pass break-up(since it was incomplete but not overturned), that being said, look at the separation Thompson got on him.

Edited by Captain Murica

Tom Brady's Draft Profile 2000

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/anyone-got-tom-bradys-pre-draft-scouting-report.77495994/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1