Mason Rudolph could be the steal of the 2018 QB draft and has the most to prove per Bettis...

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree. He is tailor-made for the offenses those teams run and he'd get into a sit and learn situation with all of them. Personally, I don't want my rookie QB to have that kind of pressure unless he's an Andrew Luck ready coming out and, other than Rosen, I don't see one in this draft. 

Rosen has the tools no doubt and is tough as nails but the concussions scare me. If he gets more he could be out of the league just like that. Darnold to me has everything you look for but is like Cutler in that aspect too. He takes too many chances, throws INT's. Baker at 6' ft to me but very athletic is the a bigger strong arm Doug Flutie. He has everything you need to win, Doug was cocky as they come, Heisman winners usually are. Best College athlete. I like that label, want a winner. Allot more losers than top winners. When you can get one go for it, ie McCarron. 

3 minutes ago, gr8billsfan said:

Rudolph is going to be the BEST out of the draft. Mark my words.  Rosen will get into trouble with his coaches.  Baker will be good. Darnold COULD be great if he doesn't get drafted by the Browns.  Rudolph's IQ is HIGH.  I'd get him at #22. #12 we get CB, WR, or LB.

Lauletta is smarter, more intangibles with maybe a slightly weaker arm but can make all the throws. He will also be cheaper and easily can be taken late 2nd 3rd as long as it is before NE. If NE is interested so am I.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

The thing that personally I dont love about this cat is that for every excellent NFL style throw, he has a throw that wlda been picked or knocked down in the NFL- but he was saved by his receiver making a play for him. There doesnt seem to be a ton of anticipation throwing and I cant tell how many reads he is progressing through if any with any regularity. Maybe these are things he learns, but I dont get the same fuzzy feeling watching his highlights as Sam and even either josh.

With our receivers he's not going to get throws going his way. But from what your saying just seems like the type of quarterback that can thrive with weapons. Unfortunately we have ourselves in a position where that can't be our starting quarterback. AJ to a lesser degree was throwing to some really good WRs in Cincy.

I want to make a graphic of curt Warner's passer rating over time with his best WR every season. Had 2 HOF receivers + HOF Faulk and has one of the best seasons yet. Struggles with middling talent in the middle of his career, and at the tail end kills it with the best HOF receiver in the league at the time

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Can’t get too cute...while you’re trading back another team will be busy trading up and then you’re left with nothing...if you want him, probably best to take him at 12.

this is what i am thinking also. if he is their guy, just take him. don;t get cut. don't apologize. just get your guy. 

1 hour ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Garoppolo got to sit behind Brady to learn and isn't a sure thing in SF. Means nothing except what we know already. Shouldn't risk Bills future with 1st pick on a guy that needs to sit for 3-4 years before he become Garoppolo. I would do that to get a guy who might be Young, Favre, Brees, Rodgers. These guys were good but sat behind someone then got the job and went to Superbowls. Young, Brees and Favre each failed with original team. 

You know its interesting how guys like Garouppolo are tearing it up like a guy like D. Watson who others compare to the next thing as sliced bread but people want to ding him.   If he is getting it done (which he is) then he is getting it done.

If Mason Rudolph became this kind of player in a couple of years how do you NOT draft him especially if you get to keep your picks.   Seriously.

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You know its interesting how guys like Garouppolo are tearing it up like a guy like D. Watson who others compare to the next thing as sliced bread but people want to ding him.   If he is getting it done (which he is) then he is getting it done.

If Mason Rudolph became this kind of player in a couple of years how do you NOT draft him especially if you get to keep your picks.   Seriously.

Neither of these guys have played a full year of games in the NFL. Right now they project well but they are good QB's. Rudolph has nothing in common right now with these guys, never took a NFL snap. Right now McCarron is 2-1 in NFL regular season and took team to NFL playoffs and played pretty good in a playoff game. That is more than any of the 3 QB's you mentioned did so far. Grappolos 7 wins are nice, they came on a Superbowl team starting a season and last year end of season nothing to lose situation, good but not the same playing for the playoffs. I give McCarron a step on this having played in a playoff game. By the way he has TWO College Championships!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

it doesn't matter who we draft, a.j. is gonna ball us into the playoffs and then in 2019 we can have a competition.....

which is a good thing....we haven't been in this situation in years. our 2018 lineup...a.j. /peterman/rudolph

it's gonna be an exciting year!   and you know what?...if this fo feels they are in good shape with a.j. and nate, and they take someone like white, i will trust them. i would like to use as many picks as possible.  it's so hard not to keep flip flopping on the issue, i'm gonna go nuts. wish i could wake up tomorrow and have it be draft day....sheesh:(

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

The man has a lot of process in him.  I just saw his white board session with mariucci on NFL Network.  Did anyone see it yet?

Impressive. RGIII did well on that in 2012, and I believe Ryan Mallett killed it too.

6 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

7 hours ago, Magox said:

If the Bills can't get Rosen or Mayfield then trading back from 12 a few spots to get Rudolph as a plan C would be good with me.

No need to trade back.  Grab Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward at 12.  Trade up from 22, a few spots and give up a 3rd; grab Rudolph in the teens.

18 minutes ago, purple haze said:

No need to trade back.  Grab Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward at 12.  Trade up from 22, a few spots and give up a 3rd; grab Rudolph in the teens.

You had me all the way even trading up from 22 till you said Rudolph. I truly believe him and Jackson slip to 2nd and beyond.

8 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

The man has a lot of process in him.  I just saw his white board session with mariucci on NFL Network.  Did anyone see it yet?

Great clip, thanks for posting. Not a bad short segment for Rudolph.

Since I've seen Mayfield mentioned in here as well, here is his segment with Mariucci for comparison:

IMO, Rudolph had the better segment. Mayfield, for someone who claims infectious leadership, was kinda a dud at the board. I liked the way Mason Rudolph could confidently talk about the play, and even use slang that Mooch hadnt mentioned. "Break his face and get friendly" lol!

The thing I worry about with Mayfield is that rallying a bunch of college boys is different than leading men.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BobDVA said:

I billieved that we would get Rudolph at 22, now I think we have to take him at 12 because the Patcheatiots*  will jump a head of us and take him before 22.

I've submitted on other threads that BB has Rudolph on his mind.  We better get him at 12, if Mayfield is gone.  Hear me now and billieve me later!!!

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sharp kid

Very “process”

As an aside, Mayfield played hurt too 

I wonder if he looks himself in the mirror in the morning and says, "I'm a man. I'm 50."

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Great clip, thanks for posting. Not a bad short segment for Rudolph.

Since I've seen Mayfield mentioned in here as well, here is his segment with Mariucci for comparison:

If you go off interviews Rudolph blew Mayfield away. Mannerism, posture, memory retention. Rudolph came off like he is a military guy with sir and his directness. Not enough questions asked but I could see trouble written in Mayfields eyes, acted alot like Manziel.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

If you go off interviews Rudolph blew Mayfield away. Mannerism, posture, memory retention. Rudolph came off like he is a military guy with sir and his directness. Not enough questions asked but I could see trouble written in Mayfields eyes, acted alot like Manziel.

Yeah, didnt like Mayfield's body language. And not sure a room of well-paid, grown-ass men who are there to get down to business are going to buy into Baker's schtick.

I also liked Rudolph's mention that he attended the Manning camp regularly. That's a great role model for commanding the huddle, calling plays, making sure guys are lined up, and driving the offense.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Mayfield just seemed to think it was a more laid back interview, but he knew what he was doing on the whiteboard.   Manziel had a lot more "warning" signs imo.

I looked back at "Gruden Camp" and Manziel said all the right things.  He didn't go into x's and o's, but he came across as humble.

Edited by Doc Brown

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000470265/2000-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Tom-Brady

Make sense why Brady was picked in the 6th round. Amazing he made it at all off this film. 

We have to remember some of these kids are barely 20 years old. They may still be growing into their bodies. 

I take back about Rudolph, be fine at 22, he had good college stats. He won't start in 2018 anyway. I personally still like Lauletta and McCarron. 

I'm sorry, if you think that Mayfield got less right on the white board than Rudolph, you heard the wrong interview. All Rudolph did was repeat verbatim what Mooch said. 

Baker actually elaborated on Mooch's commentary, he amplified and gave different variables. I don't think the conversations were even marginally in the same area. I don't care one wit if Mason remembered the names of the players. Mayfield talked about different looks that he might face using that offense and how he'd respond to those variables.

Every fighter has a plan til he gets hit - Mike Tyson. You want a QB to handle pressure, Baker Mayfield knew his reads and his performance - pretty much, from what I've read, this is what he did alone best of any QB this year - got better when the play broke down. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I'm sorry, if you think that Mayfield got less right on the white board than Rudolph, you heard the wrong interview. All Rudolph did was repeat verbatim what Mooch said. 

Baker actually elaborated on Mooch's commentary, he amplified and gave different variables. I don't think the conversations were even marginally in the same area. I don't care one wit if Mason remembered the names of the players. Mayfield talked about different looks that he might face using that offense and how he'd respond to those variables.

Every fighter has a plan til he gets hit - Mike Tyson. You want a QB to handle pressure, Baker Mayfield knew his reads and his performance - pretty much, from what I've read, this is what he did alone best of any QB this year - got better when the play broke down. 

This is why everyone has different thoughts on the draft. You and I am sure are from different generations.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

This is why everyone has different thoughts on the draft. You and I am sure are from different generations.

Ain't it the truth .. I love the different point of views.

But the oddity is that we probably are from the same generation. I'd guess you loved the '68 Rose Bowl as much as I did.

5 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Ain't it the truth .. I love the different point of views.

But the oddity is that we probably are from the same generation. I'd guess you loved the '68 Rose Bowl as much as I did.

53, not sure I was watching that one.

4 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Neither of these guys have played a full year of games in the NFL. Right now they project well but they are good QB's. Rudolph has nothing in common right now with these guys, never took a NFL snap. Right now McCarron is 2-1 in NFL regular season and took team to NFL playoffs and played pretty good in a playoff game. That is more than any of the 3 QB's you mentioned did so far. Grappolos 7 wins are nice, they came on a Superbowl team starting a season and last year end of season nothing to lose situation, good but not the same playing for the playoffs. I give McCarron a step on this having played in a playoff game. By the way he has TWO College Championships!

I am on the AJM bandwagon......I think he will surprise us all - dude is committed and hungry - he WANTS to be a starter......I am all in on AJ.  The more I find out the more I like it.

Whose draft profile is this? Any guesses?

HANDS: 9 1/4"

Is one of only two quarterbacks to throw for more than 5,000 yards in a season 

COMBINE STATS

40 YARD DASH: 4.97 SEC

• Strengths

Has a very quick trigger and good wrist snap that translates to a smooth throwing motion and clean, compact delivery (no windup). Lightning release quickness. Urgent decision maker. Sells play-action. Athletic enough to slide in the pocket and buy time with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. Good anticipation -- throws his receivers open. Can change ball speeds and drop it in a bucket. Does not take unnecessary sacks and will dump the ball. Will deliver the ball looking down the barrel of a gun. Tough-minded and poised in the pocket -- can withstand a hit and pop back up. Highly competitive. Smart, respected, vocal team leader. Very durable, experienced, four-year starter. Good football intelligence. 

Weaknesses

Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the XXX Conference. 

A decorated passer, XXX  could excite quarterback coaches with his quick delivery, mental make-up and work habits, yet he still needs to prove he can fit the ball into tight windows and do more than carve up soft shells the way he regularly did on his way to a record-breaking performance in college. Possesses the physical tools to eventually earn an NFL starting job in a rhythm passing game with continued refinement but is more of a caretaker than a game changer and will require some patience adapting to the NFL game.
Edited by YoloinOhio

Rudolph is growing on me.  Spent the day reading more about him thanks to this thread.  

My updated:

Darnold 

Mayfield/Rudolph/Rosen (flip a coin)

Lamar 

Allen (trending down for me)

I'm at the point taking him at 12 works for me.

12 hours ago, BobDVA said:

I billieved that we would get Rudolph at 22, now I think we have to take him at 12 because the Patcheatiots*  will jump a head of us and take him before 22.

They're close now at 23.

5 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

You had me all the way even trading up from 22 till you said Rudolph. I truly believe him and Jackson slip to 2nd and beyond.

I mentioned Rudolph bc he was the QB mentioned in the comment I was responding to.   I think Jackson and Rudolph are going in 1st.   And Rudolph ain't my first, second, third or fourth choice.  BUT he does have skills.  

It's hard to ignore that he feels like a Beane and McD type of guy.  A lot of experience, productive, big in stature, a pocket QB.  I won't be shocked if they took him; if they can't trade up that is.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jimmy G. 

you can see why I thought it was KM. The attributes positive and negative both match to JG. FWIW ... my guess was without the benefit of Google. 

STRENGTHS

Moore is a strong leader and very poised in the pocket and under pressure. He has a quick pass set that is balanced and under control. He gets rid of the ball quickly and picks his spots effectively, although his release is slightly a 3/4 sidearm. He has all the intangibles and is a very accurate thrower both short and long. He understands route progressions and how to put touch on the ball. He will scan the field and locate his second and third options. This is a quarterback that is under control.

WEAKNESSES

Moore is just under six feet tall, which is the major knock on his game as it translates to the next level. He struggles when throwing on the run and working outside the pocket, and is a very slow mover with his feet. The biggest knock on Moore is his arm strength, as he doesn't show the ability to drive the ball down the field with velocity. With the timing and effectiveness he has worked with under Boise State's system, Moore often lobs the ball and puts touch on it, his deep outs will likely be intercepted early in the NFL if he can't learn to drive it harder.

10 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

We have to remember some of these kids are barely 20 years old. They may still be growing into their bodies. 

I take back about Rudolph, be fine at 22, he had good college stats. He won't start in 2018 anyway. I personally still like Lauletta and McCarron. 

Yeah the problem with that argument is that Rudolph is actually 22 and will be 23 when the season starts. He will not be growing into his body and his hands will not get bigger. Mayfield turns 23 in a couple of days. These guys are not particularly young. 

Allen is 21 going on 22. Darnold is 20 going on 21. Rosen just turned 21. Jackson just turned 21. 

If he is half what the last player the Bills got from OSU he will still be great I can't see why they would blow out the draft to get a guy that could be a great player no more than this guy could be a great player .

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

you can see why I thought it was KM. The attributes positive and negative both match to JG. FWIW ... my guess was without the benefit of Google. 

STRENGTHS

Moore is a strong leader and very poised in the pocket and under pressure. He has a quick pass set that is balanced and under control. He gets rid of the ball quickly and picks his spots effectively, although his release is slightly a 3/4 sidearm. He has all the intangibles and is a very accurate thrower both short and long. He understands route progressions and how to put touch on the ball. He will scan the field and locate his second and third options. This is a quarterback that is under control.

WEAKNESSES

Moore is just under six feet tall, which is the major knock on his game as it translates to the next level. He struggles when throwing on the run and working outside the pocket, and is a very slow mover with his feet. The biggest knock on Moore is his arm strength, as he doesn't show the ability to drive the ball down the field with velocity. With the timing and effectiveness he has worked with under Boise State's system, Moore often lobs the ball and puts touch on it, his deep outs will likely be intercepted early in the NFL if he can't learn to drive it harder.

I thought there were some interesting comparisons between Rudolph’s draft profile and Jimmy G’s. Rudolph is bigger (6’5 vs 6’2 and slightly faster 4.9 vs 4.97). Similar offenses in college though Rudolph went against higher level competition. Eastern Illinois ran a JV version of the Baylor Offense. Both put up 5000 yards in a season and started 3+ years (both played at least some games as a true freshman). Both can see their deep balls hang a bit. Both had underrated athleticism in the pocket. 

the issue is that Jimmy G was not ready to start as a rookie. When he played, he was clearly a work in progress. It took him 2-3 years behind Brady and under Josh McDaniels to look like an nfl starter. Rudolph could be the next Jimmy G,  but it won’t likely happen in Buffalo. They don’t have the luxury of waiting that long and they don’t have the QB for him to learn under. I think he’s a viable QB of the future for a team looking to groom someone but not for a team like the Browns, Jets, Bills. I actually think the NYG could take him if they trade down with the Bills. He’s a Schurmer type. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

True.  Not as much zip on the ball in a lot of his highlights.

I've also mentioned I think the ball can look REALLY awkward coming out of his hands sometimes but I could get behind building him up in the pros if needed. I often think of Andy Dalton as a fear in that we get one of these lesser guys bc the top tier is gone and then struggle with is he the guy or not for xx years. We kind of had that with taylor but were lucky enough that the regime wanted their own guy. Had Rex have been here, who knows how long tt would be at the helm. That said, if he was still here we would be winning so that might be a wash. I guess I just think abt former 2nd rounders and think man.. even though carr had a down year last year - a guy like that wld be great.  But a Dalton... not so much. Tannehill was 8th overall, so it can happen in any round... but that middling is he the guy or isnt he is a tough spot. Now the Phins might be after a qb again as well and the Bengals just keep on keeping on with AD and I just think blah. I even took a look at some Dalton college highlights, and just came to the conclusion I keep coming to with everything. There are things you cant point out.. but in the end - you just dont know!

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1