Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, billykay said:

It may have been his second season, but it was still his first few games that we are talking about. They won two of those games and would have probably won the Playoff game had not his RB fumbled while trying to use clock near the end of the game. From what I remember, the Pittsburgh pass rush was all over him the whole game. Tough position for a kid in his first playoff game.

No need to be snarky re: my mentioning of Peyton Manning. I was just trying to show an analagous situation regarding even future Hall of Fame QBs. Of course, I thing that you knew that.

Just to add a detail about AJ's season loss.

Game was played against the Denver Broncos (who went on to win the SB) in Denver.

Bengals loss in OT 17-20.

AJ had a pretty good stat line, 22 of 35 (63%) for 200 yards, 1-TD 0-INT.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Just to add a detail about AJ's season loss.

Game was played against the Denver Broncos (who went on to win the SB) in Denver.

Bengals loss in OT 17-20.

AJ had a pretty good stat line, 22 of 35 (63%) for 200 yards, 1-TD 0-INT.

Why do you suppose the demand for his services was so low once he hit the market as a free agent? 

Who knows...no way of knowing how he fits Daboll's offense, no way of knowing exactly how good he is over the course of a whole season because he has never started a whole season. 

There is no way of knowing.  Chances are it's probably not very likely but we just don't know.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why do you suppose the demand for his services was so low once he hit the market as a free agent? 

That's a good question.  I think a lot of things.

First, most important is his limited play.  I know Jimmy G. got paid but I believe that is different from AJ. 

Second, the QB market for these type of QB's got out of control $ wise the last few years and a lot of teams got burned.

Third, after Elway blinked following the Bill's trade up and signed Keenum (knowing he wasn't getting Cousins), that started a FA QB frenzy

which started the most experienced guys going first.  The wave got capped off with the Jets signing 2 of the FA's.

Fourth, this is my "speculation" but I think AJ and his agent started out asking for more than teams were willing to pay after what has happened

recently with some of these signing.  I think this caused the Bill's to be in the right spot at the right time to sign him cheap.

I don't know how he will "pan out" but it will make for an interesting camp and preseason. 

• Like (+1) 2

...kid was a steady Eddie game manager at 'Bama, nothing flashy but a cerebral and available in the 5th ...forget the hindsight crap about where he is now.......supporting cast and coaching are key elements.....we passed on Wilson in the 3rd......or even the Dalton kid in the 2nd who had a decent career at TCU......why are draft(s) seemingly centered around much greater needs than the QB spot seeing we've done so well post Kelly (COUGH)?....why not a late flyer on a QB who could be welcomed into the "OBD Mecca of QB Development"?....could there possibly be a better training ground??............

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Who knows...no way of knowing how he fits Daboll's offense, no way of knowing exactly how good he is over the course of a whole season because he has never started a whole season. 

There is no way of knowing.  Chances are it's probably not very likely but we just don't know.

sure you know. Bills picked him up and dumped TT.

Bills have faith the kid can play ball.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/31/2018 at 2:10 PM, The Red King said:

Tough question to answer.  My gut is telling me we're looking at 9-7 again...but what I'm really unsure of is if it will be enough to get in.  I...I'm going to say 'yes', and rather then backing in, I have a hunch a key Week 17 victory, perhaps an upset, gets them in.

Last year's team overachieved, yes.  But let's not overlook the positives of that.   Be it coaching, heart, or a combination of the two, they did more then looked possible on paper.  Nothing saying with the same coach and changing culture that doesn't happen again and this team pulls a few more surprises.

Tyrod is an anomoly, the ultimate baseline.  He is a die that only rolls '3' or '4'.  He kept some games close, but when the game neared the end if we were behind he couldn't give us the high rolls we needed.  He took us as far as be could, and will do well in Cleveland, where 8-8 would be adored.  We hit TT's ceiling, and when Cleveland finally does, their rookie should be ready.  That being said, we don't know what AJ will bring.  There is a very limited body of work to go by, and it doesn't include Bills' players, coaches, or schemes.  What he does give is a chance to be better then TT and the risk of being worse.

If nothing else, I'm hoping he's willing to throw deep.  Keep in mind McCoy was running uphill.  Having a star running back and a QB that only throws short makes defense easier.  You put eleven players, a couple cheerleaders and an assistant coach in the box and dare TT to throw deep.  Hopefully AJ, if he's playing, will at least stretch out the D and make the offense less predictable.

For every game we barely won thanks to turnovers or such, there were games we barely lost, such as the Panthers and Bengels.  I think we're going to gain and lose ground in equal measure this year, but our long-term outlook will look better.  And, if nothing else, I think it will be entertaining.

Your comments regarding Taylor’s inability to throw deep is laughable. When he had guys that could actually stretch the field, he threw one of the nicest deep balls in the league.  Who on this team is the deep threat?  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2018 at 6:08 PM, Bills757 said:

Your comments regarding Taylor’s inability to throw deep is laughable. When he had guys that could actually stretch the field, he threw one of the nicest deep balls in the league.  Who on this team is the deep threat?  

in 2017 it’s not that he couldn’t, it’s that he didn’t from the pocket.  

He’d scramble around “keeping the play alive”. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

18 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

Tyrod Taylor had one of the best long throws in the NFL during his career...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

41 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

sure you know. Bills picked him up and dumped TT.

Bills have faith the kid can play ball.

Who cares what they think. The only thing that matters is the result on the field. I think I just won Powerball the other day, does that mean they owe me $540 million?

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Who cares what they think. The only thing that matters is the result on the field. I think I just won Powerball the other day, does that mean they owe me $540 million?

If true, it means we're related... "Where 'av ya been all mi life, dah????"

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s not that he couldn’t, it’s that he didn’t from the pocket.  

Revisionist history at its best. Hopefully we can strike gold with the draft because AJ isn’t the answer in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s not that he couldn’t, it’s that he didn’t from the pocket.  

Like this?

Or this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWID8spG3P4

Or this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmrPrqqTiHw

Or my personal favorite?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTNqwZ5gkY

On 3/29/2018 at 9:39 AM, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

Yes to McCarron, already a 2 time NCAA champ, already kept Cincy in a playoff race and almost won the playoff game. 

Yes Bills draft Falk and Lauletta to compete as backup with Peterman. 

On March 12, 2015, Taylor signed a three-year, $3.35 million contract with the Buffalo Bills. He was signed to be the starter. McCarron, 2 years for 10 million and people calling him a backup. He signed the type of contract that a QB with 4 games experience in NFL get that is expected to become the starter. That is not a bad payday. When he does succeed Buffalo will have new contract in hand.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Same can be said for any QB drafted. At least McCarron hs 36-4 record, 2 Championships, 2-1 NFL record with a playoff start he almost won and 4 NFL training camps.

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Like this?

Or this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWID8spG3P4

Or this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmrPrqqTiHw

Or my personal favorite?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTNqwZ5gkY

FTR - I was referring to 2017.  

You found 3 instances where he did it over 3 full seasons 

Where the ones where he didn’t?? 

For example - the Thompson play where Thompson was wide open  - and with a catch a TD could have been had?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

If Buffalo can fill some holes with upgrades at linebacker and WR,  I think it's very possible to make the playoffs with AJ McCarron.  I don't know that they can be significantly better than last season however.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

If Buffalo can fill some holes with upgrades at linebacker and WR,  I think it's very possible to make the playoffs with AJ McCarron.  I don't know that they can be significantly better than last season however.

My expectations of McCarron are high, but it would not surprise me If the thought process behind bringing A J into Buffalo is much how you just described it in my humble opinion.

Carefully calculated with a possible upside... 

I think they just tried to get the best FA QB they could afford, while expecting to draft the best guy they can get access to in the draft.

I don't think there needs to be deep analysis behind the decision by the Bills, or about the decision, by the fans. It was the obvious way to proceed.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:39 PM, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Obviously it is too early to tell,  but I predict we will be some place around 5-11 or 6-10.  Nothing against A,J, he will open the passing game bit, but I see him as not being strong armed and could likely be turnover prone.  Turnover differential (TD) was our biggest advantage last year, the rest of our statS were rather abysmal.  Say what you want about Tyrol but he protected the football.  Take (TD) away and we lose a lot more games.  Add to that we have holes all over our roster and no depth at our most productive position (RB).  I don't mean to sound negative but I think 2018 is a step back year, 2019 we will see better the vision for team, and if all goes well, serious contender by 2020.

Thus, this is the perfect time to draft a QB for development .... one with a high ceiling. I prefer Darnold but that is unlikely to happen.  so I hope we rake a high ceiling guy like J. Allen or Lamar Jackson ...we do 't need NFL ready ... that is what AJ is for.

10 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Yes to McCarron, already a 2 time NCAA champ, already kept Cincy in a playoff race and almost won the playoff game. 

Yes Bills draft Falk and Lauletta to compete as backup with Peterman. 

On March 12, 2015, Taylor signed a three-year, $3.35 million contract with the Buffalo Bills. He was signed to be the starter. McCarron, 2 years for 10 million and people calling him a backup. He signed the type of contract that a QB with 4 games experience in NFL get that is expected to become the starter. That is not a bad payday. When he does succeed Buffalo will have new contract in hand.

Same can be said for any QB drafted. At least McCarron hs 36-4 record, 2 Championships, 2-1 NFL record with a playoff start he almost won and 4 NFL training camps.

A 2-1 NFL record might as well be meaningless. Stop grasping at thin air.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:39 AM, Looper said:

If the season started today, NO.  Even with what we did in free agency, I'd say a hard no.  We need upgrades at WR, two linebacker spots, RG and RT, and another CB.  TE (pass catching) is also an area that could use talent given Clay's tendency to be unavailable for at least two to three games.

No we are not the 2017 Browns frankly because the Jets and Dolphins are in a similar situation that we are in so that helps us in divisional games.  The 2017 Browns situation was so unique to the Browns, just like the 2016 Browns situation, the 2015 ehhh you get the picture.

I'm not sure.  They both have some tools to work with.  I certainly think if you are an OC you're going to have to design an offense that caters to each guys strengths.  I don't think the Dennison approach of, "this is what I run" is going to be in the best interests of either player.  I think you have to sorta sneak, "the stuff that I run" in here and there until they can execute well on a lot of "stuff that I run."  I'd say the same thing for Allen and maybe for Mayfield too.  Rosen, I think, can play in any of the three systems that dominate the NFL (

EP, WC, AC).

I think it's possible for a team with McCarron as the QB to be a playoff team. I do not think Buffalo is that team though; at least not now. I expect them to take a pretty significant step backwards this year honestly.

• Like (+1) 1

i'm more optimistic than most as far as a.j. goes. i believe he can be better than keenum and has some phillip rivers abilities as well. he may have had stats as far as 200 yd. games,but that's typical game planning when a backup comes in. now, he's the starter and i fully expect him of being capable of 300 yd. games and have the ability to make 4th qtr. drives and put the team on his back a bit.

i also think nathan peterman will develop to be much more than we have seen. i realize we lost preston, wood, gaines,

maybe matthews, but i do not see this team taking a step back. we were 9-7 thanks to our defense. how many games did we have with under 7 points?...including the playoffs?  those days are over!

i would love mayfield, but chances are good we end up with rudolph and i think it will turn out that we have a very respectable lineup at qb. another thing is having dabol. he believes in game planning week to week against each individual opponent.

who else does that? bill b.  this guy knows how to win.

last year the big talk was how daunting the schedule was...and we made it. i am looking for big strides this year,especially in terms of offensive production, but also double the sack numbers. i believe we will start seeing some actual nfl play this year.

i'm psyched and trusting the process. we are going to get some good players in this draft!

16 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FTR - I was referring to 2017.  

You found 3 instances where he did it over 3 full seasons 

Where the ones where he didn’t?? 

For example - the Thompson play where Thompson was wide open  - and with a catch a TD could have been had?

FYI : Taylor had Watkins and Woods on the field only fifteen games over two years. 

When he did? 63.6% comp. 8.25 Ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 Ints

A lot more than three instances, huh?

7 minutes ago, grb said:

FYI : Taylor had Watkins and Woods on the field only fifteen games over two years. 

When he did? 63.6% comp. 8.25 Ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 Ints

A lot more than three instances, huh?

Did you not read the thread or follow the timeline

Tyrod Taylor in 2017.   

Tyrod Taylor regressed to the point where McDermott and Beane pulled the plug when they got the opportunity to NOT overspend on a QB.  

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tyrod Taylor in 2017.   

Tyrod Taylor regressed to the point where McDermott and Beane pulled the plug when they got the opportunity to NOT overspend on a QB.  

You just don't get it, do you? Yeah; Taylor regressed - after the team dumped Hogan, dumped Gillislee, watched Percy & Karlos self-destruct, dumped Watkins, dumped Woods, dumped Goodwin, scared away Boldin, and perversely sabotaged their own league-leading running game by scheme change.

But given that's all water over the dam, I'm here to give you the Good News, and the Bad News:

Good News : Taylor is gone. But that's not because he was the worstest quarterback ever to exist in the known universe (or whatever grumpy shtick you're selling these days), but because the Bills will now finally get serious about building a team on the offense side of the ball. I saw a mock that had the team trade-up for their golden-boy qb, and immediately use a first round pick on a receiver. "Having got their quarterback", the mock intoned, "they want to make sure they don't set him up to fail". Well, guess what : The Bills didn't give the slightest trace of a damn if they set Taylor up to fail in '17. They were too busy stockpiling draft picks to replace him. The reason they traded his top target for a gimpy Eagles throw-away wasn't because SW was "too into his statistics", it was for a second round pick. The only reason they traded for Benjamin mid-season was they unexpectedly found themselves in the playoff hunt and decided to do something - almost against their will it seemed. But post-Draft-Day, the team will have their "future" in a shinny new quarterback. Suddenly they'll care if the o-line can't pass protect worth a damn. Suddenly they'll realize McCoy needs more help than gawdforsaken Tolbert. Suddenly they'll want a starting tight end who can actually practice. And suddenly they look for better receivers than cripples, cast-offs, and a rook who resembles the deer in the headlights. That's the good thing about the "future" - you actually want to invest in it.

Bad News : Taylor is gone, but I guarantee the Great Tyrod Message Board War will continue on this battlefield. And, dude, don't be surprised if you find it bruising......

Edited by grb

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No.   It’s you that doesn’t get it.  

Tyrod Taylor was not good enough. 

Period end of discussion. 

Signed,

Mr’s McDermott & Beane

I don't think they get the last word........

Buffalo's receivers did not mystically repulse the football into the dirt.  Bad receivers are not open as often as good ones, but when they did get open it was all on TT to get the ball on-target, something he failed at regularly, more frequently the longer the throw.  I think we all remember the end of the Carolina game.  How many balls underthrown?  How many in the dirt.  And, of course, that's when he even saw the open receiver and threw to him.  Yes, the Bills' receiver corp was subpar, but that does not excuse TT's lack of vision and downfield accuracy.

AJ, if he plays, should push the ball downfield more, even with the same set of receivers.  Which, in turn, should spread the defense, giving McCoy a chance to run into something other then a brick wall resulting from a stacked defense.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

AJ, if he plays, should push the ball downfield more, even with the same set of receivers.  Which, in turn, should spread the defense, giving McCoy a chance to run into something other then a brick wall resulting from a stacked defense.

Amen  ? brother 

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tyrod Taylor in 2017.   

So Taylor has three head coaches in three years, three OC's.....he spends his own money to train with his WR corps only to have them get rid of those players.  They bring in WR's that get hurt.   Not saying Taylor's a world beater but the obstacles that were put in his way didn't help matters at all.  Regarding another thread where a fan talked to Harvin......sounds like Percy saw what I saw....trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  What happened to the roll outs...getting Taylor in space and throwing on the run (trying to maximize his strengths)?  Before you bash me too.....I do think the Bills need to draft a QB this year that will hopefully develop into a star.  But to lay the woes of this team's offense at Taylor's feet is moronic.