How Did Manziel Suddenly Become Relevant?

Irv

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree on the first part but disagree on the second.  16 TDs and 4 Ints 6.80 YPA 907 rate in 11 games in 2016 on a dumpster fire team with a coach with one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

I get the political/marketing problem but the stats just don't bear out that he's been figured out by defensive cocoordinators , shut down, and made ineffective.

I would like to know how much of his stats were garbage time.

30 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

not to mention has had tremendous issues off the field, including almost knocking a woman's eye out....but hey...at least he didn't protest killings.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

No scorn, but he deserves nothing. He was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft and he flushed that opportunity down the drain.

As someone who has dealt with mental illness myself, I hope he gets his life back together. But he, like me, doesn't deserve anything. I had to go get my next opportunity and so does he.

Then I don't get your negative attitude.  Why wouldn't you want to encourage Manzeil?  Encouragement doesn't cost anything and could have great benefits.  I'm sure anyone trying to tackle life issues could use the help regardless of circumstance.  

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree on the first part but disagree on the second.  16 TDs and 4 Ints 6.80 YPA 907 rate in 11 games in 2016 on a dumpster fire team with a coach with one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

I get the political/marketing problem but the stats just don't bear out that he's been figured out by defensive cocoordinators , shut down, and made ineffective.

Some fans point to stats to show Tyrod was a good QB. All that matters is that NFL teams view him as an average player. Le Sean McCoy expressed that opinion as well. If he was way above average , some team would put up with him. Most probably don't want to be in the middle of the circus. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Some fans point to stats to show Tyrod was a good QB. All that matters is that NFL teams view him as an average player. Le Sean McCoy expressed that opinion as well. If he was way above average , some team would put up with him. Most probably don't want to be in the middle of the circus. 

I had a boss that used to say "There's lies, there's damned lies, and then there's statistics."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

Hype dies hard.

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm looking forward to the day the draft is over and there isn't 100 threads on trading up etc.

There will just be 200 threads instead.  100 on why did we trade up and 100 on why didn't we trade up.

• Haha (+1) 1

To be fair he’s always been somewhat relevant. The guy was a first round pick and looked pretty good against us in a few of his drives. 

I think he can still be an adequate player in the right situation. Provided he can ever get out of his own way that is. 

18 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Then I don't get your negative attitude.  Why wouldn't you want to encourage Manzeil?  Encouragement doesn't cost anything and could have great benefits.  I'm sure anyone trying to tackle life issues could use the help regardless of circumstance.  

You must have missed the part where I said I hope he gets his life back together.

Thats different than football

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

To be fair  all he did was drugs and beat a girl, we know that means nothing in NFL

HOWEVER Take a Knee during anthem and boom Blacklisted. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

I think Johnnys got the off field stuff handled. What he brings to a team on the field? Not much from what I've seen. However, we really should be shaking every tree we see. Johnny, Kap, RG3... idk. McCarron goes down and we're stuck with a Rook or Peterman? We can wave goodbye to a winning season right there.

IK the above mentioned names all carry media burdens but McD seems like the type a guy to rise above all that. Benching Taylor for Peterman was not a popular decision and he took a lot of heat. However, it worked two fold. We saw that Peterman isn't the answer and it motivated Taylor, enough so that we snuck into the playoffs. 

Lions dont lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Yeah I'm not a Manziel guy at all but what harm would kicking the tires do?  In a world where camp arms are all names we forget why not have Manziel be your 4th guy?  If he does well great, if not cut him and continue on.

57 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

I agree with the first part not so much the second part.  He has a place as a backup in this league.  When Blaine Gabbert is still on a roster or Chirstian Hackenburg or you know what I could come up with at least 15 names.  Just look at the bottom of the list and tell me Kaep doesn't have a spot in place of one of these guys.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

To be fair  all he did was drugs and beat a girl, we know that means nothing in NFL

HOWEVER Take a Knee during anthem and boom Blacklisted. 

Most fans don't care about what Manziel did. Kaep isn't " blacklisted". That's so overused and inaccurate. He IS bad for business , in the opinion of most owners. Not worth the headache and drama he'd bring to a team. He's just not that good. 

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

Yeah I'm not a Manziel guy at all but what harm would kicking the tires do?  In a world where camp arms are all names we forget why not have Manziel be your 4th guy?  If he does well great, if not cut him and continue on.

I agree with the first part not so much the second part.  He has a place as a backup in this league.  When Blaine Gabbert is still on a roster or Chirstian Hackenburg or you know what I could come up with at least 15 names.  Just look at the bottom of the list and tell me Kaep doesn't have a spot in place of one of these guys.

He doesn't have a spot because nobody wants him. Most teams want a backup to keep quiet, know their place and fall in line. That's not Kaep. His choice. A locker room is a fragile thing. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Most fans don't care about what Manziel did. Kaep isn't " blacklisted". That's so overused and inaccurate. He IS bad for business , in the opinion of most owners. Not worth the headache and drama he'd bring to a team. He's just not that good. 

He doesn't have a spot because nobody wants him. Most teams want a backup to keep quiet, know their place and fall in line. That's not Kaep. His choice. A locker room is a fragile thing. 

So he is blacklisted. 

Hmmmm why does Reid not have a job yet too?

but hey doing drugs, quitting on your team, beating your Girl is ok

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So he is blacklisted. 

Hmmmm why does Reid not have a job yet too?

but hey doing drugs, quitting on your team, beating your Girl is ok

Same reason. It's not blacklisting, though. Just a shared opinion, not a conspiracy. There's nothing illegal about it. The league has a drug program, so I guess it's ok up to a point . Don't be surprised if the league eventually backs down on the marijuana issue. It's legal in some states, and I believe all states eventually. To me, a guy who hits a girl is a loser. I'm not the NFL, though. They do have a domestic violence policy too. Aldon Smith and Rice come to mind. Anyway, there is no collusion or any way to prove it. The players you mention don't sit well witha portion of the fan base and are bad for business. It IS a business after all. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Same reason. It's not blacklisting, though. Just a shared opinion, not a conspiracy. There's nothing illegal about it. The league has a drug program, so I guess it's ok up to a point . Don't be surprised if the league eventually backs down on the marijuana issue. It's legal in some states, and I believe all states eventually. To me, a guy who hits a girl is a loser. I'm not the NFL, though. They do have a domestic violence policy too. Aldon Smith and Rice come to mind. Anyway, there is no collusion or any way to prove it. The players you mention don't sit well witha portion of the fan base and are bad for business. It IS a business after all. 

Never said you could prove Collusion. 

Just showing the double standard is all. Now the things with Johnny Rehab is something the league always overlooked if your were good. 

Rehab isnt though. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How can you unequivocally say in the first sentence it's not black listing and then later on say there is no way to prove it.  wouldn't that also mean there is no way to prove it's not?

I don't know if there is or not.  But, with all the grief the NFL went through this season and it's affects on ratings and $$$$$$, owners would certainly have motivation to see that he NEVER take another NFL snap. 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

How can you unequivocally say in the first sentence it's not black listing and then later on say there is no way to prove it.  wouldn't that also mean there is no way to prove it's not?

I don't know if there is or not.  But, with all the grief the NFL went through this season and it's affects on ratings and $$$$$$, owners would certainly have motivation to see that he NEVER take another NFL snap. 

Which isn't illegal.

Their entire business is based on ratings and public popularity.

Choosing to exile somebody who could impact ratings is not illegal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Which isn't illegal.

Their entire business is based on ratings and public popularity.

Choosing to exile somebody who could impact ratings is not illegal.

No one said it is. They are just pointing out how Manziel gets relevance over a guy that used his Constitutional Right of Protest. 

Teams are always looking for a QB.  Manziel is trying to finagle one last chance for an NFL career.  That's why he can have a pro day and have 13 teams represented.  In itself, that doesn't make him relevant though.  He's got to get signed, then avoid getting cut in training camp, then be fortunate enough to get a start at some point and not poop his pants when he does.  If all that happens, then maybe he'll be relevant.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Teams are always looking for a QB.  Manziel is trying to finagle one last chance for an NFL career.  That's why he can have a pro day and have 13 teams represented.  In itself, that doesn't make him relevant though.  He's got to get signed, then avoid getting cut in training camp, then be fortunate enough to get a start at some point and not poop his pants when he does.  If all that happens, then maybe he'll be relevant.

So if Kaepernick (clearly a better QB) had a proday tomorrow would 13 teams be there?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So if Kaepernick (clearly a better QB) had a proday tomorrow would 13 teams be there?

That's another story.  If it were up to some GMs and coaches, I would guess he'd be signed.  I think owners probably are insturcting GMs not to sign him.  They don't want the inevitable political controversy.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

That's another story.  If it were up to some GMs and coaches, I would guess he'd be signed.  I think owners probably are insturcting GMs not to sign him.  They don't want the inevitable political controversy.

So as i stated Rehab gets chance after chance 

Kaep and Reid blacklisted 

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I don't think so.

I'm not saying it's right morally, but it's just the way it is.

Alcoholism/drug addiction/domestic violence are "lower on the totem pole of intolerance" than "disrespecting the flag/America/military", meaning that the first list is more tolerated than the second list, especially in a primary conservative fan-base.

*For the record, I DON'T think he disrespected America/flag/vets and I believe what he, and others, were doing is 100% okay by me, and I didn't have a personal problem with it.

I also fully believe in the NFL/owners being within their rights to not employ somebody who could be determined to be bad for ratings, as well as their right to tell the employees to not make political statements during the games, or they may face repercussions.

If I start protesting in the parking lot at my job, I'm going to lose my job*

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't think so.

I'm not saying it's right morally, but it's just the way it is.

Alcoholism/drug addiction/domestic violence are "lower on the totem pole of intolerance" than "disrespecting the flag/America/military", meaning that the first list is more tolerated than the second list, especially in a primary conservative fan-base.

*For the record, I DON'T think he disrespected America/flag/vets and I believe what he, and others, were doing is 100% okay by me, and I didn't have a personal problem with it.

I also fully believe in the NFL/owners being within their rights to not employ somebody who could be determined to be bad for ratings, as well as their right to tell the employees to not make political statements during the games, or they may face repercussions.

If I start protesting in the parking lot at my job, I'm going to lose my job*

Taking a knee during Anthem is not disrespectful and they have said as much. As you also acknowledge 

So did the Owners have ANY issue with it as they are the employers???  Nope they didnt. It wasnt until 45 made some asnine statement that his alt right minions got all butt hurt 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Manziel isn't having a " pro day". He's there as a QB " arm". Teams are there to evaluate draftable college players. It's a smart move by him to make himself visible. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Taking a knee during Anthem is not disrespectful and they have said as much. 

So did the Owners have ANY issue with it as they are the employers???  Nope they didnt. It wasnt until 45 made some asnine statement that his alt right minions got all but hurt 

I don't disagree with you, but the owners know they are at the mercy of ratings and fans.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree with you, but the owners know they are at the mercy of ratings and fans.

And they are actually not. Rating didnt slip because of 45s boycott calling.

instead because no one likes ref running the games and stuff like horribla catch rule. 

As well as streaming and such 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Taking a knee during Anthem is not disrespectful and they have said as much. As you also acknowledge 

So did the Owners have ANY issue with it as they are the employers???  Nope they didnt. It wasnt until 45 made some asnine statement that his alt right minions got all butt hurt 

If a sizable enough portion of the fan base finds it offensive and disrespectful, then it is. At least to them. That's a problem, and the NFL powers that be know it. The Prez brought the issue back into the forefront to stir the pot a bit. The players reacted and fans took sides. The whole thing is bad for business, and needs to be dealt with by the NFL. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

And they are actually not. Rating didnt slip because of 45s boycott calling.

instead because no one likes ref running the games and stuff like horribla catch rule. 

As well as streaming and such 

You can theorize this, but there's no way to tell. Speaking in absolutes doesn't make it so. 

38 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Probably not. They aren't there for Manziel though. It's not his pro day, anyway. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

If a sizable enough portion of the fan base finds it offensive and disrespectful, then it is. At least to them. That's a problem, and the NFL powers that be know it. The Prez brought the issue back into the forefront to stir the pot a bit. The players reacted and fans took sides. The whole thing is bad for business, and needs to be dealt with by the NFL. 

Yeah or MAYBE just Maybe the President stays the f out of things like this and Leads the Nation instead of constantly playing to the divide. But that is another argument for another day and one I dont really want to get into because of UCMJ implications