Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

What if the Giants want both 1st round picks this year and our 1st next year?  At what point does the cost get too great?  When does the cost outweigh the reward?  Would you trade three 1st round picks for the second QB off the board this year?  In my opinion it's not worth it.  Just my opinion, I know others disagree. 

I'd rather roll with McCarron, fill in holes with our draft picks this year including grabbing McDermot's  LB,  and grab someone like a Rudolph with a later pick. 

Read this:Highlights - we aren't necessarily done trading. Colts are looking to move #6 and would love a 2nd rounder for it...

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Moving to 6 could be a reasonable option if a QB the Bills covet is there.

Look at the thread I just posted, link is above this reply.  Also beane's plan was to eat all of the dead cap (or most of it this year ($45 million worth!)

If we can swing a trade to get our guy at 6 for a reasonable price I'd be all for it.  I think trading up to 2 is just going to be too expensive.

Couple of thoughts here.....first of all....watching this board IN GENERAL go from being excited about the FA and Draft eligible QB's, and then trading up to 12 to get more ammo for an attempt at a further move up the board....to watching as this board IN GENERAL, fell real concern about the Jets trading up to 3 (legit concern) ......to analyzing the press conference where the GM is clearly trying to temper expectations....to now, where many (not all) of you are now trying to talk yourself into thinking AJ is about to be the next great QB who just needed a shot, ala Brady.  I guess you can always hope.  

I very much sympathize with your plight....went through 3 decades of similar bull mess in KC.....by choice.  ....always signing some other teams castoff because he had "developed" already with them...he was ready to go now...we had not wasted our time and draft picks developing them, we let the 49ers do that for us :D  (Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith)  ....anyhow, I used to participate in these very same types of conversations.  I used to be the guy who thought you could win with just some guy at QB, and build a strong roster around him....hell KC has been the 1 seed in the AFC doing just this very thing.  I used to make a passionate argument that Tyler Thigpen would lead the Chiefs to glory!  I lost a 50 dollar bet back in 2012 or so when I was sure Thigpen would be the starting QB the next time the Chiefs won a playoff game.  After I lost that bet (what a stupid bet!) I began to re evaluate my thoughts about all this.  Keep in mind too, that KC has a LONG history of having some of the NFL's best RB over this same period of time.  Okoye, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Jamal Charles and now Kareem Hunt.....and here is a list of the QB who beat us every playoffs.  Marino twice, JIM KELLY twice, Manning twice, Luck, Brady, Elway, Harbaugh, Mariotta, Flacco, and Stan Humphries.  That list has 6 hall of famers in it, for a total of 9 playoff wins against us.  Flacco isn't going to the hall of fame, but he beat us on his way to a super bowl win.  .....I watched every one of those games....and in ALL OF THEM, the Chiefs had the better, deeper roster than every damn team we lost to.  We were lacking at ONE SPOT.    I watched Matt Cassel be propped up by the fans, the media, the staff and front office.  Todd Haley basically was fired by Scott Pioli because Haley had seen enough of Matt Cassel and Pioli was never going to admit Cassel was someone we needed to move on from.  Anyhow....I know what this is like...to be a fan of a team that for whatever reason is stuck at QB....This is what it looks like...the fans don't want to admit the obvious, they don't want to start a season with no hope...after all what is a new season, with training camp and a 0-0 record if not Hope?  As Red told Andy...hope is a dangerous thing.....when you don't have a QB.  That's exactly the quote too..it's just hard to hear that last part in the movie.  

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

If the plan is starting McCaron then this regime is going to be fired in the not so distant future, he is a former 5th rounder who couldn't beat out a noodle armed QB in Dalton. When he got his shot he was average, 222 yards per game. He can surprise people maybe and turn out to be the real deal but I'm pretty sure he was brought in to battle for the backup QB job against Peterman, the guy has played like 3 games why is he now our starting QB?

Hey Gospel,

I agree with you, McCarron isn't my first choice either, I just think he is a better option than trading three 1st round picks to the Giants to move up into the #2 spot.  I don't think anyone of those QBs is worth three 1st round picks.  If our guy drops out of the top three and we can trade up to 4, 5, or 6 and we get them at a reasonable rate, that's great.  Do we draft Rudolph with a later pick and see what he's got?  That's fine too. 

I just don't want to pay the ransom to move up to 2 in this year's draft.  If that means rolling with McCarron, so be it.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

What if the Giants want both 1st round picks this year and our 1st next year?  At what point does the cost get too great?  When does the cost outweigh the reward?  Would you trade three 1st round picks for the second QB off the board this year?  In my opinion it's not worth it.  Just my opinion, I know others disagree. 

I'd rather roll with McCarron, fill in holes with our draft picks this year including grabbing McDermot's  LB,  and grab someone like a Rudolph with a later pick. 

Fair enough. Everybody's got an opinion and they're all worth more or less the same.

You ask an interesting question. Should the Bills trade the two 1sts this year and then next year's as well. I'd do that in a heartbeat. IMHO it's going to cost more, as the Jets set up a bidding war with the Giants the fat and happy winners. And I'd give more too. There's a limit, but it's a lot closer to all our top three round picks this year and next year's first as well than just the three firsts.

We've got to get a quarterback, even if the cost sets us back a year or two. My opinion, always assuming Beane and McDermott like a guy who's available there a lot. Which I think they do.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough. Everybody's got an opinion and they're all worth more or less the same.

You ask an interesting question. Should the Bills trade the two 1sts this year and then next year's as well. I'd do that in a heartbeat. IMHO it's going to cost more, as the Jets set up a bidding war with the Giants the fat and happy winners. And I'd give more too. There's a limit, but it's a lot closer to all our top three round picks this year and next year's first as well than just the three firsts.

We've got to get a quarterback, even if the cost sets us back a year or two. My opinion, always assuming Beane and McDermott like a guy who's available there a lot. Which I think they do.

Thanks for the civil response, it's appreciated.  

I have been a lurker on this board for many years but have always avoided posting because it seemed that every difference of opinion had a 50/50 chance of devolving into a personal grudge match.  I never feel like I have a monopoly on the truth, I do feel like I have an informed opinion and I can defend my opinion. At the end of the day, I have no problem agreeing to disagree with someone.

I finally broke down and registered an account and created a profile this week.  I just couldn't take not throwing my two cents in anymore.  This is one of the most exciting off seasons for a Bill's fan in 20 years.  It finally seems like the arrow is pointing up after years of wandering in the desert.

I have a 20 year old son who has grown up watching the Bills blow it time after time, season after season.  The ridiculous personal foul penalty on 3rd and long that gives the other team a first down and leads to their winning score, etc, etc.  "Typical Bills" is his favorite expression.  He has no memory of the Kelly years and how great it feels to root for a team that doesn't break your heart every week.  I'm hoping those days are finally over. 

I have faith in McBeane to make the right call on this draft.  

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Thanks for the civil response, it's appreciated.  

I have been a lurker on this board for many years but have always avoided posting because it seemed that every difference of opinion had a 50/50 chance of devolving into a personal grudge match.  I never feel like I have a monopoly on the truth, I do feel like I have an informed opinion and I can defend my opinion. At the end of the day, I have no problem agreeing to disagree with someone.

I finally broke down and registered an account and created a profile this week.  I just couldn't take not throwing my two cents in anymore.  This is one of the most exciting off seasons for a Bill's fan in 20 years.  It finally seems like the arrow is pointing up after years of wandering in the desert.

I have a 20 year old son who has grown up watching the Bills blow it time after time, season after season.  The ridiculous personal foul penalty on 3rd and long that gives the other team a first down and leads to their winning score, etc, etc.  "Typical Bills" is his favorite expression.  He has no memory of the Kelly years and how great it feels to root for a team that doesn't break your heart every week.  I'm hoping those days are finally over. 

I have faith in McBeane to make the right call on this draft.  

Yeah, people who remember the Kelly years have a very different POV. I personally remember the Simpson years as well. Guys too young to remember often tended to make their goal the playoffs. That has always seemed to me a distraction. The goal should always be sustained excellence and consistently being good enough to compete for a championship.

I think all fans will begin to appreciate that again as we go forward.

I like Beane. I have faith in him. But I don't have much faith that there will be a particularly right call in this case. The odds of a major success went down quite a bit when the Jets made that move, IMHO.

Love your name, by the way. I had the good fortune to read the book before seeing the movie. The book was even better. I'm a major Goldman fan.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, people who remember the Kelly years have a very different POV. I personally remember the Simpson years as well. Guys too young to remember often tended to make their goal the playoffs. That has always seemed to me a distraction. The goal should always be sustained excellence and consistently being good enough to compete for a championship.

I think all fans will begin to appreciate that again as we go forward.

I like Beane. I have faith in him. But I don't have much faith that there will be a particularly right call in this case. The odds of a major success went down quite a bit when the Jets made that move, IMHO.

Love your name, by the way. I had the good fortune to read the book before seeing the movie. The book was even better. I'm a major Goldman fan.

Thanks.  It's always been my favorite movie.  Two years ago my oldest daughter bought me the book for Xmas and I have never laughed out loud reading a book like I did reading that one.    : ) 

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I think they should draft a QB, but they shouldn’t give up their whole draft board to do it.

I don't want to ransom the whole draft either, but we'll see how it pans out. The FO and coaching staff knows we have holes that need to be filled outside of QB. It's just a waiting game as to how over the next 6 weeks. 

If McCarron becomes a solid starter he would be like a winning lottery ticket. Hope he can at the least be the long term reliable backup when the QB the Bills draft is ready to play.

If the drafted QB and McCarron both turn out to be good starters , one would have good trade value in the future.

26 is really on a tear trying to tear AJ McCarron apart.    

8 hours ago, BananaB said:
8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Where a player is drafted doesn't matter. If AJ developed into a better QB, then he would have supplanted Dalton.

Dalton is playing too well to be supplanted.  Why is that so hard for you to understand?

8 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

So I guess you have made up your mind that he will be a flop. What else is there to say? Clearly the Bills think differently or else they wouldn’t have signed him.

Yes.  once he "makes up his mind"  he's like a dog with a gnarly old bone.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sky Diver said:
7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're trolling yourself when the fact of the matter is no other team wanted AJ McCarron as a starter and he had to come to the Bills on a cheap contract worth less than some backups get.  Yet here you are with "high" expectations.  I say he'll be okay as a starter and you come back with me rooting against him.  Ridiculous.  Then you ask if I have a crystal ball when his production to date falls in line with what I'm saying versus your "high expectations.   You follow up with a silly question about me having a bias against Alabama when nothing I have posted indicates that.  Get a grip!

A crystal ball is forward looking and production to date is rear view mirror.

Cleveland offered a 2nd and 3rd for him, but the deal fell through because they didn’t get the paperwork in before the trade deadline.

You are getting this bent out of shape because I expect McCarron to do well? Wow. Since it is so irrational, I am really searching for an explanation.

Teams were looking for experienced QB's and that is most likely reason AJ was "passed over" until the Bills got involved.

Yes.  That is exactly what he does.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Here is what is awesome about this year = it's just this draft. At most we may have to give up a 2 next year. The stars are actually aligned very well for this year with these picks

Rd1 = 12, 22

RD2  = 53, 56

RD3 = 65, 96

RD4 =121,

RD5= 155, 158

This is what makes it more or less special this year, the ammo is there and we can have really a full draft next year & $100 in cap space. This is the year to go big actually. If it doesn't work, its really 1 year during a tear down and you will be in the same boat of having to look for one. If it hits, QB is solved and man next off season is awesome....

MMQB article this AM .. indicates there from a GM . there are 70 starter ready players in this draft ... so imagine if we hit .. 5 new starters in our draft ... LB, OL,RB,  WR, DT (not necessarily in that order), .. plus McCarron, Star, Vontae, and Trent .. that's 9 starters added to last year's playoff team ... I'll take that.

7 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

yup, for back up money...just like TT is career back up, so is this guy...stop falling for others trash QBs, franchise guys do not hit FA

15 years ladys & gents...15 years

While I tend to agree with this after so long, AJ doesn't seem to be a career journeyman.  As with Tyrod coming off his rookie contract I believe AJ will do better overall with the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

MMQB article this AM .. indicates there from a GM . there are 70 starter ready players in this draft ... so imagine if we hit .. 5 new starters in our draft ... LB, OL,RB,  WR, DT (not necessarily in that order), .. plus McCarron, Star, Vontae, and Trent .. that's 9 starters added to last year's playoff team ... I'll take that.

Yet no QB so you would be in the same spot as last season. Hoping another team can screw up so you can squeek into the playoffs.

Edited by Boca BIlls

6 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Couple of thoughts here.....first of all....watching this board IN GENERAL go from being excited about the FA and Draft eligible QB's, and then trading up to 12 to get more ammo for an attempt at a further move up the board....to watching as this board IN GENERAL, fell real concern about the Jets trading up to 3 (legit concern) ......to analyzing the press conference where the GM is clearly trying to temper expectations....to now, where many (not all) of you are now trying to talk yourself into thinking AJ is about to be the next great QB who just needed a shot, ala Brady.  I guess you can always hope.  

I very much sympathize with your plight....went through 3 decades of similar bull mess in KC.....by choice.  ....always signing some other teams castoff because he had "developed" already with them...he was ready to go now...we had not wasted our time and draft picks developing them, we let the 49ers do that for us :D  (Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith)  ....anyhow, I used to participate in these very same types of conversations.  I used to be the guy who thought you could win with just some guy at QB, and build a strong roster around him....hell KC has been the 1 seed in the AFC doing just this very thing.  I used to make a passionate argument that Tyler Thigpen would lead the Chiefs to glory!  I lost a 50 dollar bet back in 2012 or so when I was sure Thigpen would be the starting QB the next time the Chiefs won a playoff game.  After I lost that bet (what a stupid bet!) I began to re evaluate my thoughts about all this.  Keep in mind too, that KC has a LONG history of having some of the NFL's best RB over this same period of time.  Okoye, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Jamal Charles and now Kareem Hunt.....and here is a list of the QB who beat us every playoffs.  Marino twice, JIM KELLY twice, Manning twice, Luck, Brady, Elway, Harbaugh, Mariotta, Flacco, and Stan Humphries.  That list has 6 hall of famers in it, for a total of 9 playoff wins against us.  Flacco isn't going to the hall of fame, but he beat us on his way to a super bowl win.  .....I watched every one of those games....and in ALL OF THEM, the Chiefs had the better, deeper roster than every damn team we lost to.  We were lacking at ONE SPOT.    I watched Matt Cassel be propped up by the fans, the media, the staff and front office.  Todd Haley basically was fired by Scott Pioli because Haley had seen enough of Matt Cassel and Pioli was never going to admit Cassel was someone we needed to move on from.  Anyhow....I know what this is like...to be a fan of a team that for whatever reason is stuck at QB....This is what it looks like...the fans don't want to admit the obvious, they don't want to start a season with no hope...after all what is a new season, with training camp and a 0-0 record if not Hope?  As Red told Andy...hope is a dangerous thing.....when you don't have a QB.  That's exactly the quote too..it's just hard to hear that last part in the movie.  

The Jets' trade on Saturday most certainly changed the mood on TSW.  It started the Foles talk up all over again and now we have people incredulously expecting a long shot in AJ McCarron to be the guy.    The 2018 draft remains the best hope of solving the long standing QB void that has plagued the franchise. 

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

I still can't figure out why some people are all in for any of these kids. What have any of them done in the NFL that AJ hasn't done? Oh that's right nothing because they have no NFL experience. AJ is older and has been on an NFL roster and has seen some playing time. Either way your going with an unknown at QB, mine as well be one that didn't cost us an entire draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

McCarron will be given a shot ot compete and win.. He will not be handed the keys without a competition IMO

He should be more than happy with a chance to prove himself. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Not any more it doesn't. The Jets REALLY screwed us.

I would not go that far at all.

We don't get to move up as easily, but were' not DOA by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I would not go that far at all.

We don't get to move up as easily, but were' not DOA by a long shot.

They're not getting to two, barring a miracle.

By 3, the top 3 QB will be gone. By 5, 4 of them will be gone leaving Lamar Jackson (AIDS) and Mason Rudolph (cancer).

17 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

They're not getting to two, barring a miracle.

By 3, the top 3 QB will be gone. By 5, 4 of them will be gone leaving Lamar Jackson (AIDS) and Mason Rudolph (cancer).

It is what it is and I will never devolve into that person who wallows in negativity when it comes to any forms of entertainment

FACT IS... These QB's pretty much grade out the same with very very little seperating the top 10. We all have our favorites and whom we would want at the top but the fact is they all have warts and short comings... DO you want to overpay for a QB that is rated very similarly to the rest or do you want ot make that desperate move upward, pay a kigs ransom,  for a QB you don't think is much better than the rest but just want to show the fans how desperate you are so they will stop whining. Beane

There is still a chance the Bills wil move up.. they will have to pay very similiar amount it would have taken to out bid the Jets for 3 IMO, and I don't think that is worth 3 21st rd picks a 2nd and change, but if Beane does then he'll make the move

Edited by ddaryl

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

Wtf are you ta long about?  Give him a chance?  He is basically our starter right now ??    I don't get the give him a chance thing

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Forget Brady, Kelly, or anyone else.  What are your expectations for McCarron?  

At first the expectations are modest.  We could go through scenarios of what if the Bills draft Chark and so forth but will not do that because those points can lead in more than one direction.  Anyways, for the first half of the season I am thinking around 230-250 yards per game with at least one and on occasion two TD's per game.  Maintain a completion rate similar to his four game block in Cincy.  Then maybe grow into the second half of the season where he is at least 250 yards if not more per game and 2 TD's per game.  Not that he could not handle more but I think on average he will get 35-40 pass attempts per game towards the end of the season.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

At first the expectations are modest.  We could go through scenarios of what if the Bills draft Chark and so forth but will not do that because those points can lead in more than one direction.  Anyways, for the first half of the season I am thinking around 230-250 yards per game with at least one and on occasion two TD's per game.  Maintain a completion rate similar to his four game block in Cincy.  Then maybe grow into the second half of the season where he is at least 250 yards if not more per game and 2 TD's per game.  Not that he could not handle more but I think on average he will get 35-40 pass attempts per game towards the end of the season.

With the current personnel on hand, I find this to be overly optimistic when he didn't put up those numbers with the Bengals with better receiving talent. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

With the current personnel on hand, I find this to be overly optimistic when he didn't put up those numbers with the Bengals with better receiving talent. 

His numbers far exceed the guy he's replacing.   And that in and of itself is good enough!!

I want to hear the 26 take on  how Jimmy G has proven himself.  

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

McCarron will be given a shot ot compete and win.. He will not be handed the keys without a competition IMO

And I think that he will be pulled if through the first several games the light does not come on for him.  There will be a rookie QB but I don't think he will be taken until the second round.  The talent at other positions is far superior to ignore in the first and early second round.

2 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

This article needs its own thread so it can be discussed at length.

Edited by RochesterRob

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I disagree.  Benjamin when healthy will contribute.  Jones hopefully had his growing pains early.  If we don't mortgage the farm we can can get someone such as Chark or Kirk early to help.  Maybe Clay will be healthy for most of the season.  The fact is McC is here and under contract.  That is not changing.  What can change is how we use our picks.  The draft has a fair amount of potential in the first two rounds which means at present we have a decent chance of finding four quality players and we sure could use them versus one big IF at QB.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I disagree.  Benjamin when healthy will contribute.  Jones hopefully had his growing pains early.  If we don't mortgage the farm we can can get someone such as Chark or Kirk early to help.  Maybe Clay will be healthy for most of the season.  The fact is McC is here and under contract.  That is not changing.  What can change is how we use our picks.  The draft has a fair amount of potential in the first two rounds which means at present we have a decent chance of finding four quality players and we sure could use them versus one big IF at QB.

You can disagree all you like, but the Bills' 2018 receiving corps will not come close to matching the talent level of AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert.

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

It looks like we just might