Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

On the other hand, R. Wilson wasn't 18 overall either

Philip Rivers wasn't at #17 either.  That's his jersey number.  Who is this Bockeye character with only one post?

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nope. Dalton was injured and he was the starter for 4 games in 2015 and 1 more in the playoffs.  

Just to add to the story regarding McC's 4 game "career."  Against Denver he passed for 200 yards while the Bronco's average passing yards allowed per game was 199.6.  Against Pittsburgh he passed for 280 yards while the Steelers average passing yards allowed per game was 271.9 .  Not Brady-esque but nothing to hold his head in shame over as the average allowed yards were compiled against AFC starters such as Rivers, Brady, Flacco, Smith, etc.  Further in loss to Denver McCarron's Bengals defensive team mates allowed 390 total yards which many would think was a bigger factor in a loss than McC.  Likewise, the Bengals allowing 354 yards to the Steelers would hardly be considered stingy.  Cincy had 2 wins in their other two games against SF and Balt..  A better outing by the Bengals D might have meant the Bengals going 4-0 in that stretch.  Just thought you might want to know. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Or pretending one knows more than one actually does.   

That’s called bluffing?

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

You can’t guarantee anything in football or

life. That should go without saying. Just because something could fail, doesn’t mean you don’t give it a try. If that’s how we all lived our lives, we’d be doing nothing. That’s why this team has been stuck in mediocrity for almost two decades. The Buffalo Bills are a nationally irrelevant football team. What is there to be afraid of by selling the farm? Is it losing our illustrious .500 record? 

Ouch!!!

Testify

46 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Ryan(120)

Matt Ryan went #3 in 2008. My eyes popped out when I saw that.

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The most important part of McDermott’s defenses if Carolina was the LB position. Star is of no value if we don’t get someone sitting behind him , choosing which gap to fill.

A good DL over LB every time for me. Any defense is nothing without that. 

It all starts up front.

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A good DL over LB every time for me. Any defense is nothing without that. 

It all starts up front.

Hog Mollies is what Gettlemen called Star and K Short when he drafted them. 

I’m not a huge fan of the Buffalo Carolina connection so far. 

Tolbert was a security blanket pick.

K Benjamin is Meh. He takes too many hits and I predict he will have a hard time finishing any season he starts.

Star is a space filler. He doesn’t push the pocket, sack or have good tackle stats for that matter. His acquisition leads me to believe we will be drafting a MLB in the first two rounds. I wouldn’t be surprised if we  pick up two LBs by the fourth round.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

1 hour ago, Bockeye said:

For those on the ledge stating that we need to move up from 12, here’s some evidence of why it’s a valid that AJ might be the answer OR a pick at 12 or beyond.  Look at the current NFL QB’s and where they were drafted (apologize for any errors):

Top Ten Pick

E Manning(1)

M Stafford(1)

A Smith(1)

J Goff(1)

C Wentz(2)

J Winston(1)

C Palmer(1)

C Newton(1)

Picked Outside the Top Ten

B Roethlisbeger(11)

D Watson(12)

P Rivers(17)

R Wilson(18)

J Flacco(18)

A Rogers(22)

D Brees(32)

A Dalton(35)

D Carr(36)

D Kizer(52)

K Cousins(102)

M Ryan(120)

D Prescott(135)

T Brady(171)

C Keenum(UFA)

Pretty impressive list of QB’s outside the top ten. All I’m sayin’ brothers is step away from the ledge.  Don’t sell the zuba’s And throw in the towel. There’s a valid argument that we are better off picking outside the top 10.  Brady, Rogers, Brees, Roethlisberger.....maybe the next one is ours or maybe he’s already on our roster!

How can you step away from the ledge if your list isnt even correct. Also I want % of top 10 vs outside top 10 of failure rates. give me everything and correct or dont even bother at all.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That is what I am hoping. But I am , well, whacked out lately. And obsessed. The Bills offs season has always been an empty void pretty much. A winter desert. This year it's eventful and stressy.

Huh?  Good Bills offseason?  I agree, fun and exciting!

4 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Oh great, could've seen this coming a mile away, Bills fans enamored with the mediocre QB hoping he will be the next Tom Brady.

It's a defense mechanism.  I'm always amazed at how fans can sugar coat an obvious setback.  Yes, the four teams that pick in the top five will probably all take quarterbacks and there's probably nothing we can do about it.  I was and am still depressed about the Jets moving up to the three spot after us talking for a year about trading up to get one of the premier QB's in this draft.

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a defense mechanism.  I'm always amazed at how fans can sugar coat an obvious setback.  Yes, the four teams that pick in the top five will probably all take quarterbacks and there's probably nothing we can do about it.  I was and am still depressed about the Jets moving up to the three spot after us talking for a year about trading up to get one of the premier QB's in this draft.

Buck up Lil’ Camper!!  All is not lost.

29 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Just to add to the story regarding McC's 4 game "career."  Against Denver he passed for 200 yards while the Bronco's average passing yards allowed per game was 199.6.  Against Pittsburgh he passed for 280 yards while the Steelers average passing yards allowed per game was 271.9 .  Not Brady-esque but nothing to hold his head in shame over as the average allowed yards were compiled against AFC starters such as Rivers, Brady, Flacco, Smith, etc.  Further in loss to Denver McCarron's Bengals defensive team mates allowed 390 total yards which many would think was a bigger factor in a loss than McC.  Likewise, the Bengals allowing 354 yards to the Steelers would hardly be considered stingy.  Cincy had 2 wins in their other two games against SF and Balt..  A better outing by the Bengals D might have meant the Bengals going 4-0 in that stretch.  Just thought you might want to know. 

With the CIN receiving corps of 2015, he should have had decent stats.  Looking back the DEN game was competitive with the game going to OT.  Against PIT they were out of the game after McCarron threw a pick six to put them down 23-7. They were down 33-13 at one point with AJ picking up some GTP. 

34 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Oh great, could've seen this coming a mile away, Bills fans enamored with the mediocre QB hoping he will be the next Tom Brady.

Hes about to get a big opportunity with us,  what  he does with it is up to him. A franchise QB is found on the field not where they are drafted. Nobody is guaranteed. AJ is new to the team and their are some positives about his game that has people excited about. He had a lot of good qualities coming out of college where a lot of scouts said in time he could be a good starting QB. This could be his time.  Dalton is the Bengals franchise guy, backups don’t get many opportunities when teams have a guy they can count on. 

Edited by BananaB

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

With the CIN receiving corps of 2015, he should have had decent stats.  Looking back the DEN game was competitive with the game going to OT.  Against PIT they were out of the game after McCarron threw a pick six to put them down 23-7. They were down 33-13 at one point with AJ picking up some GTP. 

The Bengals giving up 390 yards to the Broncos is a competitive game?  Picks and on  occasion pick 6's are going to happen.  Pittsburgh was 10-6 and without digging through a ton of information I would say that it would fair to expect the Bengals D to help out there, also.  I am not saying you expect McC to be Brady but I think putting at least one of the Bengals losses on their D is fair.  If that was changed going 3-1 in a four game stretch would be respectable for most QB's.  Even Kelly had sub 300 yard games and untimely turnovers.  Speaking of the Bengals Kelly had a rather ugly 1st quarter on Monday night against them.  I don't expect McC to put many games on his shoulders and with a stout D and potent running game he should not have to.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

The Bengals giving up 390 yards to the Broncos is a competitive game?  Picks and on  occasion pick 6's are going to happen.  Pittsburgh was 10-6 and without digging through a ton of information I would say that it would fair to expect the Bengals D to help out there, also.  I am not saying you expect McC to be Brady but I think putting at least one of the Bengals losses on their D is fair.  If that was changed going 3-1 in a four game stretch would be respectable for most QB's.  Even Kelly had sub 300 yard games and untimely turnovers.  Speaking of the Bengals Kelly had a rather ugly 1st quarter on Monday night against them.  I don't expect McC to put many games on his shoulders and with a stout D and potent running game he should not have to.  

Forget Brady, Kelly, or anyone else.  What are your expectations for McCarron?  

When was the last time a late round pick spent 4 years as a backup and then became the solution to a team’s QB problem. I can’t think of one. Matt Schaub in Houston is the best I can think of. 

Edited by Batman1876

Just now, Batman1876 said:

When was the last time a late round pick spent 4 years as a backup and then became the solution to a team’s QB problem. I can’t think of one. Matt Schaub in Houston is the best I can think of. 

If he was anything to get really excited about, he should have been able to mount a more serious challenge to Andy Dalton as the Bengals' starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Forget Brady, Kelly, or anyone else.  What are your expectations for McCarron?  

He’s a pocket passer who played under center in a pro style offense in college and competed at the highest level. In his limited opportunities in the NFL he has played well. 

My expectations are high. I don’t see why he can’t be successful if he has some talent around him.